Copying files to other sites requires permission from the submitters PRIOR to uploading to any other sites. We encourage links to our site.
During the early spring of 1931, a small group of families with Baptist background in and near the vicinity of Wrightsdale, Pennsyl-vania, started to explore the possibilities of a place to hold regular worship services according to their belief. A Presbyterian Mission at Wrightsdale, Pennsylvania, no longer in use since the mode of transportation had changed, was first rented. As interest increased and attendance grew, the property was later purchased as a permanent site for a Baptist Church. The Reverend George Renegar, First Baptist Church of Havre de Grace, Maryland, was instrumental in laying the ground work for a permanent church. Due to the Reverend Mr. Renegar's work in his home church, worship services were held every first and third Sun-day afternoon at 2: 00 P.M. Sunday School was held every Sunday afternoon at 1: 15 P.M. The Reverend George Renegar was assisted by the Reverend J. C. Ledbetter, Greensboro Baptist Church, Greensboro, Maryland, in a re-vival meeting June 4-15, 1933, after which it became evident a church should be organized. On June 15th of that year, a special service was held for the purpose of organizing a Baptist Church. There were 32 charter members and 59 were received for baptism. In one year the membership totaled 103.
The Reverend George Renegar was called to a pastorate in North Carolina and Reverend J. C. Ledbetter continued the Work at Wrightsdale from 1934 to 1937. William H. Haney, Rising Sun, Maryland, a member of Havre de Grace Baptist Church, was ordained as a minister and became the first full time pastor of the church in 1937. Membership steadily increased and it became necessary to enlarge the church building. This renovation and enlargement doubled the seating capacity and educational facilities. A second enlargement of the existing building was carried out, adding four additional class-rooms, rest rooms and a finished basement. A parsonage was built in the year 1948.
In 1960 the church was incorporated and plans were laid for a new sanctuary. The new two-story brick building was completed at a cost of $75,000.00. It has a seating capacity of over 300, with 18 class-rooms, 2 nurseries and a baptistery. Present church membership is 345 and the present average Sunday School attendance is 200.
The church is affiliated with Southern Baptist Convention. It is a participating member of the Cooperative Program sponsored by this convention, a program for channeling funds to mission work, both at home and foreign, hospitals, home for the aged, migrant work, camps, colleges and seminaries.