since 1 January 2004
Search This Site
Snyder County was created from Union County on
2 March 1855.
Welcome to Snyder County, Pennsylvania. The purpose of this
site is to give you the tools necessary to conduct your own
Snyder County genealogical research. The content on this site
- background historical information about Snyder County
necessary for research,
- what and where sources are available,
- what online databases can be searched,
- what researchers are searching Snyder County families
Help Me Help You!
Any questions for me about the content or format of this web
site? Let me know by emailing
me. I can assist you in finding sources, but due the lack of
time, I can only respond to lineage questions that are of my
interest. However, my ultimate goal and desire is to help you
find Snyder County sources, most of which are NOT on the
Internet. For further information on using the Internet for
responsible research, read the National Genealogical
Society's Standards for Use
of Technology In Genealogical Research.
Using This Site
Click on the horizontal menu items in the header for the
- You're already here. Introductory information and synopses of
each site section.
- Archives (off site)
- This is the place to find transcriptions of
original documents. The archives will contain abstracts of wills,
deeds, cemetery transcriptions, etc. If you're interested in
submitting to the archives, click on the link to the submission
form, as there are several transcription projects occurring at
this time, such as census, obituaries, wills, etc. The archives
are totally dependent upon persons transcribing material and
submitting it to the archivist for posting.
- Historical Society (off site)
- A brief description of the Snyder County Historical Society,
its holdings and how to access its wealth of information.
- Mailing List (off site)
- A mailing list maintained for RootsWeb by Vanessa Argyres for
people who like to network with one another on Snyder County
history and genealogy. You can subscribe for free and receive
either individual e-mail messages or a digest (bundle of e-mail
messages) in your e-mail box.
- Message Board (off site)
- This is the place to post your queries. The
RootsWeb Message Board bulletin board system maintained by
Vanessa Argyres for queries and other genealogical submissions
The forum is automatically indexed and searchable.
- A growing collection of links to sites related to Snyder
County and Pennsylvania, Snyder County travel information and
standard genealogical links.
Click on the menu items in the left frame for the following
- A basic secondary resource list for those researching the
county, annotated and evaluated as to value.
- Civil Divisions
- A list of communities and boroughs in Snyder County, past and
present, with aliases, locations and GPS coordinates linked to
the U.S. Bureau of Census Tiger Map Server.
- A jurisdictional history of the county, along with township
and borough formation. Included are downloadable historical maps
of the evolution and history of the county.
- Historical Images
- Historical photographs, postcards, illustrations of areas
around the county.
- A collection of historical maps relating to the County, each
at different time periods.
Also in the left frame menu are listed repositories:
- A brief history of the Snyder County Courthouse, its offices,
what records it holds and how to search them.
- Funeral Homes
- A listing of funerals homes in the greater Snyder County area
which may have death records available for research, depending
upon the discretion of the proprietor.
In addition there are a number of resources listed:
- A complete listing of all known cemeteries, aliases, borough
or township of location, global positioning system (GPS)
coordinates, with links to transcriptions and transcription
- A map and list of each modern civil divisions of township and
borough and antecedent townships in present-day Snyder County.
Links to census transcription projects are provided.
- A listing of the older churches in the county and where to
find their records not yet posted to the Internet.
- Information about soldiers serving and/or living in Snyder
County in all wars. The page is undergoing extensive revision and
consists mostly of Civil War soldiers at present.
- A brief history of major newspapers published in Snyder
County's past, along with where to find microcopies or back
Updated: Friday, 01-May-2009 21:12:38 MDT