Search This Site


powered by FreeFind

pagenweb-2k (7K)
us-2k (2K)
Valid XHTML 1.0!

Hummel's United Methodist Cemetery

Location:

Sassafras Road, Franklin Township

History:

"...Some of the members of the Boyer Evangelical Church had become dissatisfied with their regular minister. They secured the services of the United Brethren [m]inister, whose circuit was New Berlin and Middleburg, to hold services on such Sundays that wouldn't conflict with the time of services of the regular pastor. The minister, Reverend David Buddinger (1896-1898), was an able preacher and was well liked by most of the members. The dis- satisfaction of some of the members with their own minister plus the admiration for the new minister finally led to a division in the congregation. The result was that a number of the members withdrew and built the Hummel's United Brethren Church in 1898. The building is located on the north-east corner of Franklin Township about five miles north-east of Middleburg. A large oak tree across the road from the church building is the meeting place of the three townships of Centre, Franklin, and Middlecreek. Edward Hummel, a farmer, carpenter, and leading member of the congregation, donated one-half acre of land for church and cemetery purposes. He also contributed much of the labor and materials for the erection of the new frame church. The congregation was organized in 1896 as an outgrowth of prayer meetings in the community." Dunkelberger, p. 636.

Source of Inscriptions:

Finsterbush, 1993-1994.

Notes:

There is not a reference to this cemetery in Wagenseller's Tombstone Inscriptions of Snyder County.

Inscriptions:

© 2003 by Thomas E. Finsterbush. All rights reserved.
Posted Friday, 20-Sep-2013 07:07:56 MDT to Snyder County PAGenWeb by permission of the author.