Since the reconstruction of Polandís administrative districts on January 1, 1999, Slaskie is composed of the following former administrative districts. The amount of the old district now included in Slaskie is in parentheses.
The Slaskie district is divided between what would historically be defined as Silesia, or Slask, and the Kingdom of Poland. There are several interesting towns in this area of Poland.
The town of Czestochowa has been called the single most important place of worship in all of Poland. The Basilica of the Sacred Virgin Mary at Jasna Gora was built in the 15th century. It houses the famous icon of the Black Madonna. Legend has it that St. Luke painted the icon on Mary's wooden table. It was brought to Poland from Jerusalem in 1384. About fifty years later it was damaged in an attack by Hussites, and the scars on Mary's cheek remain to this day.Jasna Gora in Go Poland
Katowice is a large industrial town that is also a cultural and scientific center for the region. It has grown rapidly since it became a mining town in the 19th century.Guide to Katowice
Bielsko Biala is the only town in Poland with three Evangelical churches. The largest is the Church of Our Lord the Savior, built in the 19th century. The park surrounding the church has a statue of Martin Luther, the only one of its kind in Poland. In addition to its Evangelical heritage, the town is home to Kalwaria Zebrzydowska, a 17th century Bernadine monastery and Baroque basilica. The basilica houses a silver figure of Mary called the Weeping Madonna.
Gliwice is situated on the western border of the Silesian Upland, by the Klodnica River.
Bytom has one of Poland's six functional synagogues.Bytom
Cieszyn is home to one of Poland's largest Evangelical churches, the Church of Jesus, which has a spire 70 meters high. The church's library and archives chronicle the history of evangelical Protestantism in this region.