A village on a straight country lane, on the western side of the Bystrzyca river. The river has some steep banks here, and there is a small bridge across the river to give access to the meadowland on the other side. The land around the village is relatively flat, open and arable (mainly different corn and some cabbage)
A village of houses and farmsteads on a straight country lane, parallel to Stoczek. The land is slightly undulating, open and arable. 800m to the east is a small wood.
A village at the junction of minor highway 828 with the 829. The land is undulating, open and arable, and the Wieprz river flows north 800m east of the village. At the western end of the village, there is a long pond on the south side of the road.
CHURCH: Parafia rzymskokatolicka Maryi Matki Bożej, Jawidz 129c, Jawidz, pow. Łęczna , woj. Lubelskie
Kijany/Kijany Kościelne (Kijany Koscielne)
A village of houses on minor highway 829 and a scattering of farmsteads to the east. Through the area of farmsteads flows the Wieprz river. There is a bridge crossing the river. The land is slightly undulating, open and arable, with small woods on either side of the river in the northern part. The Firlej family built a castle here in the 17th century. There is a palace here that was destroyed and rebuilt many times (several times in the 19th century and again in 1927 after a fire. It was restored again in 1972). The palace building is currently a police station, even if it is several hundred meters away from the road and in the midst of an agricultural college. The agricultural college is quite extensive with many buildings either modified from the palace 'home farm' or built in the 1960's in the palace grounds. They even have horses in the college as well as quite a range of agricultural machinery.
The church was built in the baroque style, in 1599. In the cemetery are graves of the Sklodowski family (the most well known member of this family was Marie Curie, the nobel prize winner for her work with radium, who used to visit from time to time.)
CHURCH: sw Anna. Roman Catholic
The palace in Kijany
This building looks like it dates from the 1930's
Kijany Kol. - 1 of 2 in the gmina
Houses and farmsteads along a country road leading southwest from the main village of Spiczyn. The land is relatively flat, open and arable, and the river Bystrzyca forms the northwestern limit of the village. The river is steep sided at this point.
Kijany Kol. - 2 of 2 in the gmina
Some buildings and a couple of outlying farmsteads in an area of slightly undulating, open arable land just northeast of Stawek. The map suggests that this was a communal farm from the mid to late 20th century.
Kol. Charlęż (Kol. Charlez)
A village stretched along a straight country road about 1km to the west of the Bystrzyca river. The land is slightly undulating, open and arable.
A scattering of farmsteads across an area of slightly undulating, open arable land, with a steep drop on the western side. Beyond this drop is a large area of meadowlands, with the Bystrzyca river about 1km to the west.
A small scattering of farmsteads and a few houses on a country lane on the western side of minor highway 829. The land is slightly undulating, open and arable.
CHURCH: no data
An occasional farmstead and house along a meandering country lane in an area of relatively flat, open arable land. There are a couple of small woods on the southern side of the village.
A scattering of farmsteads mainly on the eastern side of minor highway 829, between the highway and the Wieprz river. the land is slightly undulating, open and arable.
Nowa Wólka (Nowa Wolka)
a village strung out along a straight country road in an area of undulating, open arable land. A small river passes the east and then the south side of the village. There is a large forest just to the north and a small wetland wood to the east.
A few houses and farmsteads on minor highway 828 inside a forest.
A scattering of farmsteads on either side of a very small river, with a large forest forming the western, southern and southeastern border to the settlement area. The land is undulating and arable.
Some farmsteads under the eaves of a forest, mainly farming land cleared of trees. The land is slightly undulating, open to the north, and arable.
some houses and a scattering of farmsteads on a country lane, parallel and west of minor highway 829. The land is slightly undulating, open and arable, although there is a wood forming the western border of the settlement area, and a gully in the southwetern corner.
A scattering of farmsteads mainly in a small area of arable land between an arm of a forest and an area of wetlands. There are a couple of other farmsteads located around the edge of the wetland. The land is relatively flat.
Spiczyn [Spiczin, Spiczno]
A village on minor highway 829, just south of the confluence of the Bystrzyca and Wieprz rivers. The Bystrzyca is steep sided, and both meander. The land is slightly undulating, open and arable. On the other sides of the rivers there are large areas of meadowland. The highway crosses the Bystrzyca by bridge. This village was first mentioned in 1381. There is a school dating from the 1970's on the eastern side, next to a 2 storey gmina building of about the same vintage. Moving to the west there is a dworek from the late 19th century, on a bend, that once served as the gmina office, library and police station, made of wood and once a fine example of a small village dwor today the paint is crackled, the floor uneven and covered in lino with a shop selling household cleaners and the like in one side.
Beside this there is a 1960/70's building housing another couple of shops selling electrical goods, food etc. Next is another building of the same period which is both the fire station and the post office. Behind this there is an ex-school from the 1940's or earlier which is now partly used as a vets. On the corner is a wooden kapliczka (shrine) from 1850. At the western side of the village are many cottages built on a small bluff above the Bystrzyca and Wierpz river plain.
A village of houses and farmsteads along a gently meandering country lane in an area of relatively flat, open arable land. There is a small wood about 700m to the south.
A village on a straight country lane, in an area of open, undulating open arable land. There is a large area of meadowland just to the northwest, and a small wood about 700m to the southwest.
A scattering of farmsteads in a cleared area, cut into the eastern edge of a forest. The land is undulating, open and arable.
A scattering of farmsteads in a very large area of slightly undulating, open arable land. To the north is a large forest.
A small scattering of farmsteads on the eastern side of minor highway 829, on either side of the Wieprz river. On the west side of the river the land is relatively flat, open and arable, while on the eastern side it is mainly meadows.
A village on the eastern side of the Wieprz river in an area of relatively flat, open land. On the south side of the village is a large expanse of meadowland. There is a bridge across the river here. There is a castle dating from the first half of the 16th century, part of the defensive system for the Firlej family estates. It was destroyed in the Swedish wars and then reconstructed in the 1670's. It was finally destroyed by fire in 1838 and only ruins remain. In the castle park there is a chapel. There is a famous stone figure with a metal cross, on a mound.
CHAPEL 1: no data
CHAPEL 2: In the castle park, no other data.
A scattering of farmsteads along a country lane in an area of relatively flat, open arable land. a large forest forms the northern border of the settlement area, and there is a wood on the western border. In the northeastern part of the settlement area is an expanse of poorly drained land.
Farmsteads scattered over a large area of almost flat, open arable land. The settlement area is bounded on the southern side by the Wieprz river.
Charlęż Kol. (Charlez Kol.)
Kijany Kościelne (Kijany Koscielne)