Lublin Gmina Page
GENERAL: Below is a list of every city, town and village in this gmina, with information about each place, where known, and any links to other sites if available. This page is for all places in the PLACE-FINDER index with the code J1. Information not specific to this gmina may be found through the homepage.
MAPS: All places are marked on the map at the bottom of the page.
NAMES: As some browsers still can't handle Polish characters, any names with these extra characters are repeated using the nearest equivalent English characters in round brackets '( )'. Names in square brackets '[ ]' are older names for that location.
OLD WOJ.: All places in this gmina are in the old woj of Lubelskie


Map of Gminy in Lublin Powiat

Return to: Place Finder (PL) || Lublin Powiat Page || Place Finder (UK)

4J1. Lublin

The Gmina of Lublin
Most of this gmina is actually built up, as you would imagine, but there are still a few areas around the edge which are still rural. The cost of land is higher in this gmina than in any other and so blocks of flats are still the most common type of housing still being built. All of the wet area in the picture above has been drained, the last part in the 1960's when the Bystryce was straightened out.

Abramowice Prywatna
A rather scattered village, with its centre about 1km north of Glusk. Why it is called 'Prywatna' (private), I do not know. There are many farmsteads and residences on a road leaving the village to the east.
Bazylianów (Bazylianow)
Now a  suburb of the city of Lublin.
Biskupie
A small scattering of farmsteads in arable land to the east of the city of Lublin. To the north of the settlement is a small river, and to the east and west are areas of wetland meadows. Swidnik Duzy is about 1km to the northeast.
Bronowice
Now a part of almost central Lublin. The original part is often referred to as 'Old Bronowice'. On the north side of Bronowice are the remains of meadows, and over the meadows and the Bystrzyca river is one of the best views of Lublin's old town and castle (this is where the view of old Lublin at the top of the page originates). There was an estate here with a formal park, the park still remains although smaller and is wooded. Between the park and the river is a public baths. In Bronowice there started a certain amount of industry in the late 19th century after the railway came through. The 1912 map shows a factory for asbestos roofing (Eternit), a cement works and a large grain storage warehouse. The grain warehouse has a small dwor attached. During the latter half of the 20th century this area was known as a dangerous one as many Gypsies lived here, and was also the home of an international assassin. These days it is the home of the Lublin Scales factory, a night club in the former Eternit factory and many small businesses.

Bursaki
A suburb of Lublin on the northern edge.
Choiny
Since the 1960's, this has been an area of blocks of flats and an estate of houses on the northern edge of the city
Czechów (Czechow)
Once a village, but since the 1960's has grown into a major area of Lublin housing - primarily blocks of flats.
CHURCH: no data
Czuby
Now a region of almost identical blocks of flats on a wide bare slope of a low hill.
Cwartek
This is located on one of the four hills of Lublin, and archeologists have found the oldests signs of the city of Lublin here. The hill is crowned with a church, and is only a few hundred meters from the old town and castle hills. 

Dominów (Dominow)
A small settlement on the southern edge of Glusk, in an area of undulating arable land. There is a 19th century manor house and a roadside chapel.
Dębówka (Debowka)
Mainly a mixture of 20th century houses and farmsteads on the western edge of the city.
Dzbenin
A small settlement of scattered farmsteads in an area of gently undulating arable land and small woods, 1km north of Slawinek. Some buildings are on country road 809, whilst most are on a parallel unmade lane just to the east of this road. The slightly larger village of Marysin is on the same lane, 1km to the north in the gmin of Dabrowice.
Dziesiąta (Dziesiata)
Once a village, but now the southern district of the city of Lublin, mainly residential. The river Czerniejowka flows north on the east side of this district.
Felin
This is a new district of Lublin, the eastern extremity. If there was a village here, then there is no longer any sign of it as it is all blocks of flats.
CHURCH: no data, other than it was built in the 1990's.
Felin countryside
Głusk [Głusko] (Glusk, Glusko)
A more recent acquisition of Lublin, 20 years ago a small village and now an area of concrete blocks of flats, visible from afar as the area is reasonably flat and treeless. This village has been absorbed into Lublin, and is no longer in the Głusk gmina. Obtained town rights in 1699 and lost them in 1869. There is a late baroque town hall from the 18th century, old houses from the 17-19th centuries, a parish church from the 18th century with interesting polychrome. 
CHURCH: Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. sw Jakuba, Glusk, woj. Lubelskie
Hajdów (Hajdow)
Now a suburb of Lublin, on the northwestern corner, near the railway yards.
Jukobowice Murowane
A small village on the floor of the Bystrzyca river valley floor, on the north bank and beside a loop of the former course of the river. Wolka is about 700m to the southeast, accessible by crossing 2 bridges, one of the former course of the river and the second over the current course of the river. The land is arable. It is within reach of the Lublin city buses. There is a devastated castle from the 16th century, in the renaissance style, rebuilt many times, but it is now abandoned. It was first destroyed by the Swedes in 1803, but the last time was in 1944. There is a landscape park on the riverside. The word 'murowane' refers to buildings made of brick or stone.
The Germanin Neo-gothic entrance gate to the castle in Jakubowice Murowane
The castle in Jakubowice Murowane. Damaged in World War 2 and barely touched since, despite being owned by Lublin Museum.
Kalinowszczyzna
Now a part of the city on the edge of the centre, but once well known for its straw market. 
Konstantynów (Konstatinow)
Mainly later 20th century housing and small businesses.
Ko÷minek (Kosminek)
Mainly late 19th century and 20th century houses and small businesses. A backwater of Lublin on the east side of the Czerniowka river. The northern part is a bit rough as it houses poor people, but there is some regeneration going on. There are many wooden houses, some often rebuilt brick houses, and 3 floor housing blocks. What industry there was has mainly gone, but there are quite a few small service businesses there now.
Kosminek
Kominek
Lublin, miasto (Lublin, the city)
Lublin is the capital of the province of Lubelskie and is easily the largest city in the province with 400,000 people, about 10% of which are students. Lublin sits on the northeastern corner of an area of undulating high lands, the old town being built at the very edge with steep slopes dropping down to lowlands below. There are also several independent hills a few hundred metres away from this scarp face, on one is built Lublin castle, and on another is a church (where have been the earliest signs of settlement) and on the third, and lowest, is a Jewish cemetery containing some remnants of earlier fortifications. The Bystrzyca river flows from the south and around the eastern side of the city and once there was a large area of wetlands an lakes between the river and the old town itself. These wetlands and the steepness of the slopes was part of the reason for the establishment of a town here as they help make it more defendable. The last of these wetlands disappeared during the 1960's when the Bystrzyca was straightened and banks created to reduce flooding. To the north of the city, divided from the older part by a valley is a small area of high land. Until the 1950's this was arable land with several small villages, but is now part of the city with a large area of houses and blocks of flats. Lublin has similarly expanded in each other direction. To the east of the Bystrzyca river is an area of mainly industrial land with blocks of flats between them. This area first began to be used by large companies during the 19th century, especially after the railway was built through this area.
For more information, pictures etc. etc. (more than you could shake a stick at):further info (and for pictures of Lublin in the period 1890-1920: , including a 1912 map of the city)
CHURCH: Bazylika św. Stanisława Biskupa Męczennika (sw. Stanislawa Biskupa Meczennika), 20-112 Lublin. There are, obviously, many churches in the centre of Lublin, but most are run by monasteries, this church is the main parish church.
CEMETERIES
LSM
A new part of the city, created since the 1960's.
Majdanek
A former village absorbed into Lublin and now an area containing many factories, business's and blocks of 60's style flats characteristic of Lublin's post war suburbs. Here was established Poland's second largest concentration camp by the Germans in WW2, which is now a museum and has a couple of typically soviet huge monuments. Next to the camp a new cemetery was established in the mid '70's.
CEMETERY
Majdan Tatarski
Mainly blocks of flats built in the communist times from the 1950's onwards.
Osada Wieniawa
A hamlet on the south side of a valley. Now part of early to mid 20th century Lublin.
Piaski
Nowadays a southern suburb of Lublin. This was a primary part of the late 19th century industrial Lublin, several larg companies forming here after the railway came through. Amongst these companies, the Wolska machinery factory was probably the largest. Today the Wolska company has disappeared, but the buildings remain, divided into small business units. Other companies include a sugar refiners, gas company and corn mill, the sugar refiners are still trading. 
A wooden house in Piaski
Pliszczyn Kol.
A scattering of farmsteads near a lane which partly follows the course of a railway (taken out of use at Easter, 2000). The land is undulating and arable, descending to the north into the steep sided course of a small river, one of the Ciemiega's.
Ponikwoda
Now a district of rather nice housing, a grid of roads in a wood, basically. I am not sure of the development of this place. There are 2 churches, one on the western side, near highway 19, and the other on the southwestern corner of the village. Both churches have small graveyards. Ponik, in old Polish, means a source of water, Woda is current Polish for water. This village is located on the northeast corner of the city of Lublin, to the west of highway 19. 
CHURCH 1: no data
CHURCH 2:  no data
CEMETERY 1: no data
CEMETERY 2: no data
Rudnik
An outlying suburb of the city, in the northeastern corner. There are still farmsteads here. This village lies on the border with the gmina of Wolka, and as it is not possible to tell from the map if it lies in one gmina or the other, I have listed it in both. 
Rudnik Kol.
A dense scattering of farmsteads and residential properties 500m north of Ponikwoda, to the east of highway 19.
Sławin (Slawin)
This village, consisting of properties on either side of the Naleczow road, is partly agricultural, partly small business's and also residential for business people working in the city. The land is arable and slopes down to the north of the road, down to a small river, the Czechowka.
A wooden cottage at the village museum (skansen) at Slawin/Slawinek.
A villa from before WW2, when this area was a holiday resort for those living in Lublin.
Sławinek (Slawinek)
Slawinek is within Lublin's city borders and before WW2 was an area where Lublinians went for a holiday. There are still some properties existing from this time. The land is hilly, with some arable land and some small woods. There has been extensive building here and it is popular with the nouveau riche of Lublin. Notable features of this place are an extensive and growing village museum , with many buildings relocated from many Lubelskie villages, and the UMCS botanical gardens.
CHURCH 1: Roman Catholic. Appears to be of modern construction, but may have replaced an earlier building.
CHURCH 2: Orthodox, part of the village museum, but used for services starting September 2000. Not sure which village it was taken from. Wooden construction.
CHURCH 3: Roman Catholic, part of the village museum. Under construction in summer 2000. Not sure which village it came from. Wooden construction.
Old and new buildings in the Slawinek area.
Stasin Polny
A scattering of farmsteads to the north of a railway line and to the east of highway 51. Stasin is across the other side of the railway. There is a small cemetery here.
CEMETERY: no data.
Świt (Swit)
Now a district of the city and consists mainly of suburban housing from the 1960's onwards and dzialki (vegetable gardens).

Tatary
Named after the area where Tartars camped before the city. Now has the car and van plant (formerly FSC, now Daewoo), which is Lublin's most important employer. The part closest to the city is poorly drained and has many dzalki (plots of land rented out to residents of the city to grow vegetables on).
Trze÷niów (Trzesniow)
A small settlement located between the railway to the west and the Bystrzyca river to the southeast. The land is undulating where it rises from the valley floor on the north side. Part of the village is close to the river, but there are farmsteads on the valley sides. Jakubowice Murowane is less than 500m to the northeast, and Wolka is 800m to the east, across the river.
Węglin (Weglin)
Mainly blocks of flats built since the 1970's, and a growing part of the city.
Węglinek Kol. (Weglinek Kol.)
A scattering of farmsteads across undulating arable land to the east of highway 51, with a new suburb of Lublin directly to the north on the other side of a small wood. Konopnica is 1km to the west, on the other side of the highway.
Wieniawa
A village that has disappeared beneath 1950's-90's blocks of flats. The piece of land that the village was located on was owned by the Leszczynski family, whose coat of arms was called Wieniawa. A private town was established and named after the coat of arms, this town existed until 1826 when it was bought by the state. Administatively, it belonged to Konopnica gmina, not Lublin, even though Lublin is much closer. It was incorporated into Lublin in 1916. It had its own market square and streets. All old buildings, mostly wooden, were destroyed by the Germans during WW2, among them was a very interesting Synagogue from the beginning of the 19th century. (many Jews lived there).
There was a famous composer and violinist at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century who was Jewish and born in Lublin. The family changed their name and he chose to take the name of  (Henryk) Wieniawski, from the district he probably knew well. There is a monument in Lublin dedicated to him.
The Czechowka, a small stream appears to be the northern border of the district, and it covers the high land to the south (but I am not sure how far). The Lublin-Warsaw road passed through the middle of it. As a private town there is bound to be some record of it, especially when the state bought it. The state would have recorded the renting out of the land too.
At the moment we are not sure where the location of the town was, but it is likely to have either been close to the Czechowka or on the high land to the south, on the Lublin-Warsaw road.
Wola Sławinska (Wola Slawinska)
A scattering of farmsteads and other residences mainly on the south side of highway 17, with many buildings on a short lane leaving the highway on the south side. The land undulates very much and is generally arable, but with several small woods in most directions. The land slopes down to the south and east, and the lane ends at the banks of a small river, the Czechowka. Slawinek is 1km to the southeast, on the same highway. This village is also partly in Jastków gmina.
Wólka Abramowicka (Wolka Abramowicka)
A large village on the road from Lublin to Jablonna. The village is located on the west bank of the small river Czerniejowka, 500m west of Glusk. To the west of the village is an area of undulating arable land, and to the southwest is the start of a forest (Las Dabrowa).
Wólka Abramowicka Kol. (Wolka Abramowicka Kol.)
A small village with some outlying farmsteads. To the west is a forest, but between this and the village is an are of arable land. Glusk is about 1km to the north.
Wrotków (Wrotkow)
The remains of a small village on the east bank of the Bystrzyca river, just to the north of Lublin's main reservoir, Zalew-Zemborzych. Whilst some agriculture is still undertaken by some of the residents, it has many residential buildings for people working in Lublin. On the opposite side of the river is an area of dzialki, plots of land used for growing vegetables by people living in Lublin.
Cottage between Wrotkow and the reservoir.
A house in Wrotkow, up against a steep sand banking.
Zadębie (Zadebie)
A generally poor part of the city close to the railway yards.
Zemborzyce
A village now on the western shore of a large reservoir built in 1970-74. Previous to this the reservoir was a valley which was mainly wooded with meadows an peaty wetlands. The village was once a royal one, first mentioned in 1364, and only kings could hunt in the forests. The parish was created in 1371-1429 and paid tithes to the bishop of Krakow. In the 15th century a wooden church was built, replaced in 1907 with a brick church. the church retains one of the earlier churches bells, dating from about 1539. During the 15th century there was a mill, 8 inns and a trading post on the river. The Bystrzyca river flows into the reservoir from the south and the ground there is still wetlands. To the west of the village is an undulating area of arable land consisting of many farmsteads on a grid of lanes, each farmstead with its strip field strip field. This area of about 6km2, historically, all came under the control of the village. The main railway line south from Lublin comes through the middle of the village (with station), the church and the cemetery being separated by this line. There has been some building of properties along the shore of the reservoir. There is also a small settlement on the other side of the river, nestling among the trees.
As this village was a royal one there maybe still many useful records in the national archives.
CHURCH: no data.
CEMETERY: no data.
Zemborzyce and the reservoir.
This is the 1960's, early 1970's for you.
A wooden house in Zemborzyce.
Zemborzyce Górne (Zemborzyce Gorne)
A scattering of farmsteads over an area of arable land, divided by a railway line The Bystrzyca river is just to the east of this settlement. The main village of Zemborzyce is 1km to the northeast. To the south of the village is a wood.
Zemborzyce Podle÷ne (Zemborzyce Podlesne)
1km north of Zemborzyce, also by the lake and on the railway line (with station). Between the railway and the lake is a church, but most of the area is used for recreational purposes. To the west of the railway is an area of arable land with many scattered farmsteads. To the northwest of the village is a large wood (Las Stary Gaj).
CHURCH: no data
Zimne Doły (Zimne Doly)
'Cold Holes/lowlands'. An unusual name for a small settlement that is half given to dzialki (allotments). A small scattering of farmsteads just to the south of Slawin, 1km to the southwest of Slawinek.

List of Churches, Parishes etc. in the Lublin gmina:

Klasztor p.w. Sw. Jozefa, Lublin
Koscial Adwentystow Dnia Siodmego, Lublin
Koscial Polsko Katolicki, Lublin
Koscial Powizytkowski, Lublin
Koscial Starokatolicki Mariawitow, Lublin
Koscial sw. Franciska oo. Kapucynow, Lublin
Parafia Ewangelickp-Augsburska, Lublin
Parafia Grecko-Katolicka p.w. sw. Jozefata, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. bl. Urszuli Ledocowskiej, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. Blogoslawionej Jadwigi Krolowej, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. Ciala i Krwi Panskiej, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. Dobrego Pasterza, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. Matki Bozej Fatimskiej, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. Matki Bozej Krolowej Polski, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. Matki Bożej Rozancowej, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. Matki Bozej Wspomozenia Wiernych, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. Milosierdzia Bozego, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. Najswietszego Serca Jezusowego, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. Najswietszego Zbawiciala, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. Najswietszej Serca Pana Jezusa, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. Nawrocenia sw. Pawla Apostola, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. Niepokalanego Formacyjny, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. Niepokalanego Serca NMP i sw. Franciska, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. Niepokolanego Poczecia NMP, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. NMP Nieustajacej Pomocy, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. Przemienienia Panskiego, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. sw Maksymilana, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. sw. Agnieszki, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. sw. Andrzej Boboli, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. sw. Anny, Spiczyn
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. sw. Antoniego Padawskiego, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. sw. Jakuba Apostola, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. sw. Jana Chrciciela i sw. Jana Ewangelisty, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. sw. Jozefa, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. sw. Marcina, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. sw. Michala Archaniola, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. sw. Mikolaja Biskupa, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. sw. Mikolaja, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. sw. Pawla, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. sw. Stanislawa Biskupa i Meczennika, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. sw. Swietego Krzyza, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. sw. Teresy od Dzieciatka Jezus, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. Swietego Ducha, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. Swietey Rodziny, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. Trojcy Przenajswietszej, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. Trojcy Swietej, Lublin
Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka p.w. Wieczerzy Panskiej, Lublin
Polski Autokefaliczny Koscial Prawoslawny, Diecezja Lubelsko-Chelmska, Lublin
Polski Autokefaliczny Koscial Prawoslawny, Parafia p.w. Premienienia Panskiego, Lublin
Polski Koscial Chrzescijan Baptystow, Lublin

National Archives in Lublin:

Address: Archiwum Panstwowe w Lublinie, 20-950 Lublin, ul. Jezuicka 13, Poland
The following is a list of archives available in the Lublin National Archives (U=birth, M=marriage, Z=death):

Ewangelicko-Augsburskie (Protestant), U M Z 1890-1896

Greckokatololickie, U M Z: 1826-1830,1835-1838, 1840-1867, 1869-1875

Mixed, U: 1878-1879, 1891 (wyznanie katolickie [Catholic], mojzeszowe [Jewish], prawoslawne [Orthodox] i ewangelicko-augsburskie); M: 1878-1879, 1891 (wyznanie katolickie, mojeszowe, prawoslawne i ewangelicko-augsburskie); Z: 1878-1879, 1891, 1893, 1895-1896,1905-1915, 1919-1921 (wyznanie katolickie, prawoslawne i ewangelicko-augsburskie)

Mojzeszowe, U: 1858-1860, 1872-1875; M: 1858-1860; Z: 1824, 1858-1860, 1872-1875, 20 X-30 XI 1941, 1-31 | 1942
Z: 1908-1942 (wykazy pomnikow na cmentarzu zydowskim z iminomi zmartych i data zgonu [list of graves and monuments in cemeteries etc]); U M Z: 1826-1896

Prawoslawne - Narodzenia Matki Bozej, U M Z: 1826-1874

Prawoslawne - Podwyzszenia sw. Krzyza (sobor), U M Z: 1877-1896

Prawoslawne - Przemienienia Panskiego, U M Z: 1875-1896

Prawoslawne - sw . Trojcy (cerkiew szpitalna), Z: 1870

Rzymskokatolickie [Roman Catholic] - sw. Agnieszki, U M Z: 1878-1896

Rzymskokatolickie - sw. Jana (katedra), U M Z: 1817-1896

Rzymskokatolickie - sw. Michala (kolegiata), U M Z: 1826

Rzymskokatolickie - sw. Mikolaja, Z: XII 1941, U M Z: 1826-1877

Rzymskokatolickie - sw. Pawla, U M Z: 1884-1896

Stanu cywilnego (Civil record), U M Z: 1940-1944; sw. Michala (kolegiata), U M Z: 1810-1825; sw. Mikolaja, U M Z: 1810-1825
 

Postal/Zip Codes for Lublin Gmina
(Use This Link For City Street Codes)
Abramowice Prywatna 
Dominów ( Dominow ) 
Pliszczyn Kol. 
Rudnik Kol. 
Wólka Abramowicka ( Wolka Abramowicka ) 
Zemborzyce Podleśne ( Zemborzyce Podlesne )
20-388 
20-388 
20-258 
23-202 
20-388 
20-492

Map of the Gmina of Lublin


LUBELSKIE GENEALOGY WEB

LubGenWeb
Navigation Bar : No-Frames Version.
For easier navigation, click on the blue diamond below.
frames Home site map
PolandGenWeb