(Garbow) Gmina Page
: Below is a list of every city, town and village in this
gmina, with information about each place, where known, and any links to
other sites if available. This page is for all places in the PLACE-FINDER
index with the code J2
. Information not specific to this gmina may
be found through the homepage.
: All places are marked on the map at the bottom of the
: As some browsers still can't handle Polish characters,
any names with these extra characters are repeated using the nearest equivalent
English characters in round brackets '( )'. Names in square brackets '[
]' are older names for that location.
All places in this gmina are in the old woj of Lubelskie
Map of Gminy in Lublin Powiat
Return to: Place Finder (PL)
|| Lublin Powiat Page || Place
4J2. Garbów (Garbow)
The Gmina of Garbow
The southern edge of the gmina is part of the distinctive Naleczow
plateau, of loess hills cut through with sharp sided gullies. The northern
part of the gmina is part of the Lubartow plain with its meandering rivers
and undulating landscape. The name 'Garbow' probably derives from the local
dialect word for 'hillocks/hummocks' - Garby. The gmina covers an area
of 102sq.km,79% of which is arable land and 12.5% is wooded. Of the arable
land, some 82% is ploughed, 14.5% meadows and 3.5% orchards. The population
is about 9000 people. Archaeological finds show that the area was inhabited
as far back as 3000 BC. The first mention of Garbow was in 1326, and it
indicated that there was already a well established Roman Catholic parish
there. There is a sugar factory here and sugar beet is grown locally.
: Urząd Gminy, 24-080 Garbow, woj. Lubelskie. Tel:
081 50 180 63
GMINA E-MAIL: email@example.com
GMINA WEB SITE: http://www.garbow.ug.gov.pl
A remote group of buildings in an area of meadows, with large woods
close by to the north and south.
: no data
This village mainly consists of farmsteads, residences and other buildings
scattered along several intersecting straight roads over several square
kilometres. The land is heavily undulating and arable, the farmsteads each
with their strip field. Garbów is about 1km to the northwest of the densest
part of the settlement. There are the remains of a narrow gauge railway,
including a platform (railway possibly built during WW1 by Germans to exploit
A ribbon development village along a straight east-west lane in the
middle of an area of undulating arable land. There is a church at the crossroads
in the centre of the village. To the north and east are a series of woods.
: no data.
In the old cemetery on the hill, remains of an old wooden castle, dating
from the 8th-9th century, have been found. Pottery dating from the same
period has also been found in several locations around the village. The
Szczekocki family owned Garbow between the 14th and 17th centuries. In
the mid 17th century it was owned by a Daniel Izycki, in the late 17th
century by a Szymon Kawiecki (Cornet of Nowogrod), in the 18th century
it was first owned by the Sieniawskis and then the Czartoryskis, and by
the end of the 18th century by a Michal Gronowski. Michal Gronowski was
a relative of the last Polish (elected) king, Stanislaw August Poniatowski,
who gave him the right to establish a town under the Magdeburg Right in
1795. Magdeburg is a town in Germany, the town/city rights there being
used as a model for other German cities, as well as by other countries.
Lublin holds its city status under these rights. However, Michal Gronowski
never exercised the right, and on his death, the ownership of this village
returned to the powerful Czartoryski family. Maria Czartoryski sold the
village in 1819 to Count Jan Jezierski, who erected a palace and started
a fish farm there. In the early 20th century, the Broniewski family, who
were Polish sugar barons, took control of the estate and founded the Garbow
sugar factory in 1908. This factory still produces sugar. At the same time
a new distillery and brickyards were also established.
Garbow has a long history of pottery and Birch tar production.
In the village today can be seen the remains of a manor house and park.
A neo-gothic church from 1911 (not sure which of the below this is). There
are the ruins of a church from the 18th century, this was the parish church
but it was burnt down in 1915.
: Parafia rzymskokatolicka Macierństwa NMP, Garbów 133,
Garbów, pow. Lublin, woj. Lubelskie
: Parafia rzymskokatolicka Przemienienia Pańskiego, Garbów,
pow. Lublin, woj. Lubelskie
: WW1 Austrian soldiers.
Garbów Dolne (Garbow Dolne)
A series of residences, farmsteads and other buildings along a lane
less than 1km west of Garbów. The lane runs along, as the word 'dolne'
suggests, the bottom of a small valley on the south bank of the river Kurówka
and one of its small lakes. To the south the land is highly undulating,
whilst the valley bottom is meadow land.
Garbów Kol. (Garbow Kol.)
A scattering of farmsteads on a small grid of small lanes in an area
of heavily undulating arable land. Garbów is about 1km to the northeast.
Some buildings along a lane and a scattering of farmsteads in an are
of heavily undulating arable land. There is a north flowing stream through
the centre of the settlement.
: no data
Gutanów Kol. (Gutanow Kol.)
There are 3 settlements of this name, one just north of the Gutanów,
one to the east, and the other just south of Gutanów. All 3 are located
in areas of highly undulating arable land, the southern one in a small
valley with a north flowing tributary of the Kurówka. There are also small
woods to the east and west of the southern settlement.
A ribbon development village of about 1km in length, lying along a
straight southwest/northeast lane. the land is gently undulating and arable,
with a series of woods to the north. The church is off the main track,
on the lane leading from the centre of the village to the southeast, to
: no data
A series of buildings along 1km of an almost straight lane, southwest/northeast.
The land is almost flat, and arable. Garbów is just over 1km to the southwest.
This and Kolonia II are unusual in that their names do not consist
of a name+kolonia, but only kolonia. This is a scattering of farmsteads
over an area of about 2km2
. The land is undulating arable land.
Markuszów is about 1.5-2km to the west.
A series of farmsteads along a straight lane just south of Stara Wies.
The land is slightly undulating and arable.
In the village is a manor house and park. A loosely knit village with
a small core of buildings on a raised piece of land between two small rivers.
Over the Kurowka to the south and south east is a large area of scattered
Some buildings and farmsteads on some intersecting small lanes between
the largest and the medium sized Zagrody's.
Some houses on a track through meadows, with some farmsteads on the
arable land to the east. To the west is a small forest of coniferous trees.
A small village on a track off a country road, remote from the road
by a part of a wood, woods enclosing the village on 3 sides. There is a
small area of arable land to the north, and a set of small lakes to the
Some farmsteads on a lane 500m south of Wola Przybysławska. The land
is mainly flat, and arable.
There are the remains of a dutch style windmill (wiatrek) from the
early 19th century. A series of farmsteads on either side of a small lane
leading from Lesce to Krasienin, about 700m west of Lesce.
The notable buildings here are a 19th century palace and cowshed. This
is a village with a central core, 2 churches and an area of scattered farmsteads
to the south. The land on which the main part of the village stands on,
but the arable land to the north is heavily undulating. To the north of
the village is the start of a small river, the Kurowka.
Some farmsteads on a lane 500 northwest of Janów. The land is mainly
flat, arable, and there is the south end of a large wood just to the east.
There is a landscape park from the early 20th century. This village
has many buildings along a lane which lies on the north bank of the Kurowka
river, with a series of small lakes to the east. To the west lies an area
of meadows, with arable land to the north and south.
Przybysławice Kol. (Przybyslawice Kol.)
Many farmsteads on a grid of small lanes in an area of undulating arable
land, about 1km east of Markuszów.
Psie Górki (Psie Gorki)
A scattering of farmsteads at the southern-most part of a curving lane
that both begins and ends in Gutanów. Gutanów is 1km to the north, and
there are small woods to both the east and west of the settlement.
Some buildings and farmsteads on a small lane 500m west of Janów and
just south of Pod Borem. The land is undulating, and arable.
Stara Wieś (Stara Wies)
A small village 500m southwest of Wola Przybyslawka, in a ribbon development
along a minor lane. To the north are meadows and a small wood, to the west
some more meadows with many drainage ditches, and to the south some arable
A scattering of farmsteads along a lane, with wetland meadows to the
north and a wood beyond it. On the east side is part of a wood, on the
south a lake, and immediately to the west id Wola Prybyslawska.
A few buildings and scattered farmsteads along some intersecting small
lanes in an area of undulating arable land.
Wola Przybysławska (Wola Przybyslawska)
A village which is, for the most part, a scattering of farmsteads along
several lanes. To the south is an area of arable land, to the north wetland
meadows and then a large wood, and to the east a lake and part of the same
wood as to the north.
: no data
Wólka Lesiecka (Wolka Lesiecka)
A scattering of farmsteads in a small valley, along and east/west track
and the tributary of the Kurówka that intersects it. Lesce is about 600m
to the east.
There are 3 separate Zagody's, and from small to large they are:.
(i) A scattering of 5 farmsteads just to the south east of Zakopaniny.
Situated on meadow land, with a road just to the east and a very small
wood to the north. Wola Przybyslawska is immediately to the east.
(ii) A scattering of farmsteads over an area of undulating arable land,
just over 1km north of Garbów.
(iii) A medium sized village on highway 17, halfway between Garbów
and Markuszów. To the north is an area of undulating arable land, whilst
to the south there are a series of small lakes surrounded by meadows. These
lakes form part of the Kurówka river and were once used for fish farming.
In this village is a sugar factory, a villa from 1924 and a park.
: no data.
This is a series of farmsteads on a straight, unmade lane in an area
of meadow land. To the north is a long wood, on the opposite side of which
is Orlich (about 500m away). The meadow lands have straight drainage ditches
running across it, draining to an are of wetland just to the west of the
settlement. To the southwest is another small wood.
Postal/Zip Codes for Garbow Gmina
Borków ( Borkow )
Garbów ( Garbow )
Janów ( Janow )
Leśce ( Lesce )
Przybysławice ( Przybyslawice )
Wola Przybysławska ( Wola Przybyslawska )
Map of the Gmina of Garbow
Navigation Bar : No-Frames Version.
For easier navigation, click on the blue diamond below.