Châteauguay County Cemeteries
Châteauguay Basin, Châteauguay Village, Châteauguay Heights,
Châteauguay Centre, Ville de Châteauguay, Paroisse de St-Joachim and Île St-Bernard.
Click on the cemetery name or icon to link to the details.
A listing of all the cemeteries within the Ville de Châteauguay. This city was formed from the former towns and villages of Châteauguay Basin, Châteauguay Village, Châteauguay Heights, Châteauguay Centre, and the Paroisse de St-Joachim, all of which were originally within Châteauguay County (1855-1980) and are now in the MRC de Roussillon.
Note: All map images on this site have been created using
Microsoft Streets & Trips 2001 Copyright© 2000 Microsoft Corp.
They have been cropped and reduced in size where necessary to conserve space.
The present City of Châteauguay contains 5 cemetery locations.
Chateauguay Protestant CemeteryName List on-line
Cimetière de la Paroisse Christ-Roi
Cimetière de la Paroisse St-Joachim
Cimetière de la Paroisse St-Joachim (Vieux/Old)
Cimetière des Soeurs-Grises/Gray Nun's Cemetery
Chateauguay Protestant Cemetery
The Chateauguay Protestant Cemetery (previously named Chateauguay Presbyterian Cemetery and also known as St-Andrew's Cemetery and the United Cemetery of Chateauguay) dates from 1833 when it was located at the back of the original St-Andrew's Presbyterian Church. It is located on the east side of the Châteauguay River on Blvd. Salaberry Sud, slightly south of the bridge in the center of town. (45.361N/73.743W) It was established as a private corporation in 1929 and is managed by a volunteer committee. It serves all the protestant denominations in the City of Châteauguay. The committee does have some documentation compiled in the 1990s but so far it has not been published. This documentation has been transcribed into a database. A complete set of photographs have been taken and the inscriptions transcribed into the data base. Some information from old church records has also been entered and an index of all the names created. We are still finding additional church records as a result of a recent acquisations at the Quebec Archives. In the meantime, a list of all the names that appear on the stones has been put on-line. Specific lookup requests can be answered by the cemetery researcher.
Cimetière du Christ-Roi
The Christ-Roi Cemetery is a fairly new Catholic cemetery dating from the 1960s. It is located close to the eastern boundary of the City of Châteauguay with the Kahnawake Indian Reserve, on the east side of Rue Elm Sud, north of Boul.St-Francis (45.377N/73.728W) This cemetery is associated with the Franciscan Monastery located in Châteauguay Heights. It is also the parish cemetery for the Paroisse de Ste-Marguerite d'Youville.
Cimetière de la Paroisse St-Joachim
The St-Joachim Catholic Cemetery dates from around 1910 when it replaced the old St-Jochim cemetery located beside the parish church. It is located on the north side of Rue Principal (Rte 132), 0.7km (0.4mi) west of the bridge across the Châteauguay River in the center of town. (45.360N/73.754W)
Cimetière de la Paroisse St-Joachim (Vieux Old)
The original St-Joachim Parish Cemetery dated from the mid 1700s when the parish was called St-Jean. It was located on the north side of the parish church on Boul. d'Youville, on the west side of the bridge across the Châteauguay River in the center of town. (45.361N/73.749W) It was replaced by the present St-Joachim Cemetery located a short distance to the west. The area is now a paved parking lot beside the church.
At the time of the move, a court order was obtained allowing remains in this old cemetery to be moved to the new cemetery. However at this time it is not known what remains were moved or whether just the monuments were moved.
Cimetière des Soeurs-Grise
The Cimetière des Soeurs-Grise is a private cemetery serving the Les Soeurs de L'Hôpital-Général de Montréal (Sisters of Charity of the Montreal General Hospital, better known as the Gray Nuns - Soeurs-Grise in french). The Nuns were the owners of the Seigniory of Châteauguay from the 1760s until the seigniories were abolished in 1854. The cemetery probably dates from the 1850s. It is located on the north side of the cross that stands on the hill at the west end of Île St-Bernard , an island in the mouth of the Châteauguay River. (45.387N/73.770W) The cemetery itself is private and not accessable to the public but may be viewed from the hill beside the cross.