Châteauguay County Cemeteries
A listing of the cemeteries within the Municipalities of Howick and the Paroisse de Tres-St-Sacrement, both of which were originally within Châteauguay County (1855-1980) and are now in the MRC de Haut St-Laurent.return
Note: All map images on this site have been created using
Microsoft Streets & Trips 2001 Copyright© 2000 Microsoft Corp.
They have been cropped and reduced in size where necessary to conserve space.
Click on the name to link to details.
Cimetière de la Paroisse Tres-St-Sacrement
The Tres-St-Sacrement Parish Cemetery dates from 1885 when the parish was created from parts of the Parishes of St-Malachie, Ste-Martine and St-Jean-Chrysostôme. It is located behind the parish church on Lambton Street in the Village of Howick. (45.188N/73.847W) The church marriage and burial records have been documented1.
Georgetown Cemetery is an old Protestant cemetery that dates from 1807, the oldest protestant cemetery in the region and the second oldest of any cemetery in Chateauguay County. It is located beside and behind the Georgetown Presbyterian Church on Rte 138 at the junction of Mill Road, 1.6km (1mi) NW of the Village of Howick. (45.198N/73.862W) Although the cemetery used to be part of the Georgetown Presbyterian Church, it was incorporated as a non-profit corporation in 1913 and is now managed by a largely volunteer committee. It has about 725 monuments and is just now being properly documented. In the fall of 2002, pictures of all of the stones have been taken and the inscription information has been extracted from the pictures to a database. We have finally got access to the church records, have copied them and now have to index and extract the burial info. In the meantime, a list of all the names that appear on the monuments and in the existing cemetery burial records has been put (on-line). If you have any particular inquiries, contact the webmaster.
Riverfield Cemetery is an old protestant cemetery dating from 1830. It is located on the south side of the Riverfield Presbyterian Church at the crossroads hamlet of Riverfield, on Rte 203, 4.6km (2.8mi) SE of the Village of Howick. Although it is located next to the Riverfield Church, it is owned by a non-profit corporation (incorporated in 1913) and is managed by a volunteer committee. The burial records have been on-line since June 2000. The documentation project is on-going with added information being obtained from church records and newspaper announcements.
1/ Mariages et sépultures de la paroisse Très-Saint-Sacrement Howick, 1884-1982, Adrienne Parent, 1984.
Copyright © 2002-8 Burton Lang. Revised:2008/03/22
HTML markup by Burton Lang.