South West Quebec

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

return

- E -
Place Names



Earlville (NY)
A hamlet in northern New York State, located 3.3mi (5.4km) NE of Chateaugay (NY). (44.970N/74.050W)
East Concession (Bean River)
The range of farms along the east side of the Bean River in Williamstown region of the Seigniory of Beauharnois.
East Constable (NY)
The old name for the hamlet or village of Constable (NY).
East Hemmingford
Probably the eastern part of the old Hemmingford Township as opposed to West Hemmingford that later became the Townships of Franklin and Havelock.
East Road (Street) (Hemmingford)
An old local name of the section of Rte 202, east of Hemmingford Village.
East Street (Huntingdon)
The old name for Church Street in the Town of Huntingdon.
Edwardstown (Edwards Town)
The region in the Seigniory of Beauharnois south of the Norton Creek. It was bounded on the south by Hemmingford Township (Huntingdon County), on the north by the Norton Creek, on the east by Seigniory boundary line with Sherrington Township, and on the west by the English River. Named after Alexander Ellice's son Edward. Sometimes written as two words.
Edwardstown Anglican Cemetery (St-Chrysostome)
An old cemetery associated with the now closed Edwardstown or St Matthew's Episcopal Church near present day St-Chrysostome. It is located on Rte 209, 1.7mi (2.7km) ENE of St-Chrysostome. (45.118N/73.739W)
Eighth Concession (Hinchinbrooke)
The southern part of the Gore (Hinchinbrooke) along the north side of the Gowan Road, about 2mi (3km) NW of Rockburn. (45.045N/74.04W)
Eighth Concession (Ormstown)
Not indicated on modern map but is probably the concession east of Rte 201 and south of the St-Louis River. (45.20N/74.07W) It would now be in St-Louis-de-Gonzague municipality.
Ekron Post Office
The Ekron Post Office operated from 1909 until 1913. It was located on the Gore Road, roughly 2.3mi (3.7mi) SW of Anderson's Corners and 1.8mi (2.9km) NNE of Herdman. (45.053N/73.086W)
Eldredge's Corners (Lacolle)
A mistaken name in Sellar's History. It should be Elvidge's Corners.
Elgin (hamlet)
The modern name for the Kelso hamlet where the Elgin Township Town Hall is located.
Elgin Customs
A Canadian Customs Office located at Athelstan Station to serve the New York Central rail line traffic entering Canada.
Elgin Township
A township in the southwestern corner of Huntingdon County, west of the Châteauguay River and south of the Trout River plus a little gore of land south of the Donnelly Sideroad on the west side of the Trout River. (center 45.02N/74.23W) It was created in 1855 from part of Hinchinbrooke Township. Named for Lord Elgin, an early Governor General of Canada.
Elgin Square (Laguerre)
The center area of Laguerre Village (St-Anicet).
Ellenburg (NY)
A village in Clinton County, northern New York State, located on US RT11 at the junction with the Military Turnpike (NYS RT 190), 11.9mi (19.2km) ESE of Chateaugay (NY). (44.893N/73.841W) Not to be confused with Ellenburg Centre, 3.4mi (5.5km) to the southwest.
Ellenburg Depot (NY)
A hamlet and railway station in Clinton County, northern New York State, located on US RT11, 2.2mi (3.5km) ENE of Ellenburg (NY). (44.906N/73.802W)
Ellenstown
See: Helenstown.
Ellerton Settlement
The original name for Hallerton. The Ellerton name got mis-interpreted during an application for a Post Office permit and the mis-spelt name became official.
Ellice's Mills
An old name for Dewittville.
Ellicetown
An old name for St-Timothée.
Elm Street (Hemmingford)
The original name for the western end of Champlain Street (Rte 202), west of Hemmingford Village corners.
Elm Tree (Elmtree)
The location of an early sawmill on the First Concession where an unnamed tributary of the Hinchinbrooke River supplied power. (45.007N/74.071W) The current residents still refer to Elm Tree School.
Elvidge's Corners (Lacolle)
A hamlet or settlement, south of Lacolle, 1mi (1.6km) NE of the junction of Chemin Guay and Rang St-André (Rte 217). (45.026/73.422W)
Emard
A hamlet at the corner of Rtes 201 and 236 on the road from Ormstown to Valleyfield. (45.184N/74.065W)
Emard Post Office
The Emard Post Office operated from 1902 until 1915.
English River (Rivière aux/des Anglais)
A major tributary of the Châteauguay River with its source in the US, crossing the border near Nicholls Byroad, 2.4mi (3.9km) west of Hemmingford Customs. (45.003N/73.653W) It flows NW through St-Chrysostome and Howick to its mouth at Logan's Point, 2.2mi (3.5km) NNE of Howick Village. (45.214N/73.830W) English River was also the original name for Riverfield hamlet and the settlement along both sides of the English River in that area.
English River Cemetery
See: Riverfield Cemetery.
English River Concession (Williamstown)
The range of lots along the south(east) side of the English River from Logan's Point to Aubrey.
English River (hamlet)
An old name for Riverfield.
English River Settlement
The settlement along both sides of the English River from Logan's Point to Aubrey, including Riverfield hamlet and the Scotch Concession.
Evident Creek
A tributary of the Châteauguay with its mouth 0.2mi (0.3km) NW of Allan's Corners (45.163N/73.925W) and its source in the Third Concession (Lower Ormstown).

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

return

Or return to the

Placenames Home Page


Copyright ©2001-7 Burton Lang Revised:2007/02/04