South West Quebec

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

return

- H -
Place Names



Haley's Island
The old name of an island in the St-Lawrence River, in or next to the Akwesasne Indian Reserve (St-Régis). It was located off the east end of St-Régis Island. The islands in this area have changed in shape as well as name over the years. It seems to be called Île-Cow on a modern map. On the old map there is another island named Cow Island close to it on the east side. It is called Île-Corn on the modern map. Confusing!
Hall Creek
A tributary of the Châteauguay River with its source in the Connaught Range and its mouth 3mi (4.8km) ENE of Huntingdon or 0.4mi (0.7km) SE of the junction of the Rankin Sideroad and Rte 138. (45.100N/74.120W)
Hall Limits, The
An area somewhere in the Beaver area of Godmanchester or Dundee Townships, noted for its original stand of pine trees. Exact location and meaning of the name unknown?
Hallerton
A hamlet at the junction of the Kenney Sideroad and Quest Road, 3.4mi (5.5km) NE of Hemmingford. (45.073N/73.528W) The origin of the name is interesting. The family who operated a store on that location, applied to Ottawa for a postoffice permit in the name of Ellerton, the name of the family who owned the farm. It was approved and the permit issued, with the name specified as Hallerton instead of Ellerton.
Hallerton Post Office
The Hallerton Post Office operated from 1869 until 1914.
Hardwood Ridge (Elgin)
See: Hogsback Ridge (Elgin).
Hardee Farm Road
Another name for Rang St-Pierre Est, the road on the boundary line between the northeast side of Hemmingford Township and Sherrington. (45.115N/73.552W)
Harper's Corners (Lacolle)
An old hamlet that was located approximately at the corner of Chemin Guay and Rang St-André (Rte 217) on the east side of Autoroute 15. (45.021N/73.441W)
Hatton Post Office (St-Anicet)
Previous name for the Delmont Post Office on the Chemin Rivière de LaGuerre in St-Anicet. It operated under the Hatton name from 1904 until 1907.
Haut-Châteauguay
Probably the northeast corner of Châteauguay or the northern side of Châteauguay Heights.
Havelock (Corners)
The hamlet in Havelock Township, at the junction of Quebec Routes 202 and 203. (45.044N/73.759W) The Havelock Township Town Hall is located here. It is usually referred to as just Havelock. It was previously named Mannagh's Corners and later Vicars. The Post Office was the Vicar's Post Office during its period of operation from 1864 to 1914. Also known as Havelock Village. Not to be confused with Havelock, the old name (before 1873) for Bryson Township in Pontiac County.
Havelock Township
A township created in 1863 from part of the west end of Hemmingford Township. It is bounded on the south by the US border, the west by Franklin Township, on the north by St-Chrysostome Municipality and on the east by Hemmingford Township. It was named after an illustrious Crimean War General, Maj Gen Henry Havelock.
Havelock Village
See: Havelock Corners.
Hawks Hollow (NY)
An old hamlet (c1813) located 6mi (9.6km) west of Chateaugay (NY). (44.923N/74.205W)
Hawks Village
Shown on Lt.Bainbrigge's 1838 military map sketch as name of Howick Village.
Haws Creek (Hinchinbrooke)
A stream that runs from its source near the US border, south of Rockburn, through Brooklet and eventually joining the Outarde River in the Fifth Concession (Hinchinbrooke) (Boyd Settlement) 2.9mi (4.7km) south of Dewittville. (45.075N/74.109W)
Hay Point (Pointe-au-Foin)
A point on the north shore of Lake St-Francis, 2.6mi (4.2km) east of Rivière Baudette. (45.224N/74.276W)
Haystack Rapids
The easternmost of the three rapids at Pointe-des-Cascades. (45.324N/73.943W)
Hazelnut Island
The old name of an island in the St-Lawrence River, in or next to the Akwesasne Indian Reserve (St-Régis). It was located near the mouth of Bittern Creek. (45.030N/74.583W) The islands in this area have changed in shape as well as name over the years. It seems to be called Île-Châtelain on a modern map.
Heeney Road (Hemmingford)
A road on the northeast side of Hemmingford Township, running from the Quest Road, across the border line into Sherrington Municipality. (45.093N/73.525W) It was named after John Heeney, an early resident on the road. Sometimes spelt Heeny Road.
Heights Station, The (Châteauguay)
See: Châteauguay Heights Station.
Helena
A hamlet on Rte 138, next to the Trout River, located 1.2mi (2km) NNW of the Trout River Lines Customs border crossing, where the bridge from the First Concession (Elgin) crosses the Trout River. (44.999N/74.317W) Not to be confused with the location of the Helena Post Office which was at Holbrook's Corners, 0.7mi (1.1km) further south. Also not to be confused with Helena (NY), located on the St-Régis River south of Akwesasne. According to a 1896 map, this location was called Holbrook, not to be confused with the Holbrook Corners closer to the border.
Helena Post Office
The Helena Post Office operated from 1871 until 1917. It was previously called South Hinchinbrook Post Office from 1848 until 1871 and was located in Holbrook's Store at Holbrook's Corners, 0.7mi (1.1km) NW of the US border at Trout River Lines.
Helensburg
See: Ellenburg (NY),
Helenstown (Helens Town)
A region of the Seigniory of Beauharnois bounded on the north by the St-Lawrence River, on the south by the St-Louis River, on the east by Annstown and the Domaine Buisson and on the west by Catherinestown. Most of this region is now within St-Timothée Municipality. Named after Alexander Ellice's daughter Helen. Sometimes written as two words.
Helenstown Mills
An old name for St-Timothée or the Seigniory mills at St-Timothée.
Hemingford
The original spelling for Hemmingford. After two villages (Hemingford Grey and Hemingford Abbotts) in Huntingdonshire in England.
Hemmingford Catholic Cemetery (current)
A catholic cemetery located behind the St-Romain's Catholic Church in Hemmingford Village. (45.049N/73.587W)
Hemmingford Catholic Cemetery (old)
The first catholic cemetery in the Hemmingford area was located on the west side of modern Rte 219, north of Hemmingford at Barrington, 0.3mi (0.5km) north of Fisher Road. (45.114N/73.570W) No visible trace remains.
Hemmingford Customs
The Canadian Customs Port located on Rte 219, 2.9mi (4.7km) south of Hemmingford Village. (45.005N/73.604W) It was originally located in the 1800s at Scriver's Corners, at the home of the Collector of Customs. In 1909, it is shown in Hemmingford Village, on Frontier Street South, 500 ft (160m) south of the corners. (45.045N/73.589W) The neighboring US border post is Mooers Port of Entry.
Hemmingford Corners
An early name for Hemmingford Village, after Scrivers Corners, before the 1877 incorporation of the village.
Hemmingford East
Probably the eastern part of old Hemmingford Township as opposed to the western part that later became the Townships of Franklin and Havelock.
Hemmingford Mountain
The first name of Covey Hill.
Hemmingford Post Office
The Hemmingford Post Office has operated from 1832 until the present.
Hemmingford Protestant Cemetery
A protestant cemetery located on the west side of Rte 219, 0.3mi (0.45km) southwest of the village corners. (45.043N/73.593W) It is managed by a non-profit corporation.
Hemmingford Station
A railway station at Hemmingford on the Province Line Branch of the Montreal and New York Rail line (later Grand Trunk Railway - Caughnawaga Division and eventually CNR). It was located on the north side of Rte 202 (Champlain Street), 0.4mi (0.6km) east of the village corners. (45.047N/73.581W)
Hemmingford Township
One of three townships created in 1792 with the formation of the original Huntingdon County. It was a roughly triangular shaped area bounded on the east by the Seigniory of Lacolle and the Seigniory of De Léry, on the northwest by the Seigniory of Beauharnois and on the south by the US border. (center 45.06N/73.64W) Parts of the original Hemmingford Township were cut off when the townships of Franklin and Havelock were created in the mid 1800s.
Hemmingford Village
A village in Hemmingford Township, incorporated in 1877, that is located around the junction of Rtes 219 and 202. (45.046N/73.587W) It was originally called Scriver's Corners and later named Hemmingford Corners.
Hemmingford West
The western part of old Hemmingford Township that later became the townships of Franklin and Havelock.
Hendersonville
The first name for Kensington, named after Archibald Henderson who built a mill there in the early 1800s.
Hendersonville Cemetery
See: Kensington Cemetery.
Henrysburg
A community in Lacolle located 4mi (6.4km) west of Lacolle, at the junction of Rte 217 and Chemin Grande-Ligne. (45.094N/73.446W)
Henrysburg Cemetery
The Wesley Methodist Cemetery is located behind the church in the middle of the Exit 13 Interchange on the west side of Autoroute 15. (45.108N/73.470W)
Henrysburg Cemetery (old)
An old cemetery located on Rte 217, 0.5mi (0.8km) north of Montée Henrysburg. (45.115N/73.449W)
Henrysburg Centre
A hamlet that was located at the corner of Rte 217 and Montée Henrysburg, 4.1mi (6.6km) WNW of Lacolle. (45.107N/73.447W)
Henrysburg Centre Post Office
The Henrysburg Centre Post Office operated from 1906 until 1913.
Henrysburg Post Office
The Henrysburg Post Office operated from 1923 until 1969 when it was renamed St-Bernard-de-Lacolle.
Henrysburg Station
A railway station on the Canada Atlantic Railroad line, located a short distance south of the corners at Henrysburg. (45.092N/73.446W)
Herbert Point (Pointe-Hébert)
A point on the west side of Maple Grove Point, 0.6mi (1km) NW of the town of Maple Grove. (45.325N/73.852W)
Herdman
A hamlet in Hinchinbrooke Township, located 4mi (6.4km) east of Athelstan, at the corner of Rte 202 and the Herdman Road. (45.028N/74.093W) Previously known as Alexander's Corners and Herdman's Corners and possibly also Dalveen.
Herdman Anglican Cemetery
See: St-Paul's Anglican Cemetery (Hinchinbrooke).
Herdman's Corners
An old name for Herdman.
Herdman's Corners Post Office
The Post Office at Herdman was known as Herdman's Corners Post Office from 1852 until 1879. A. Herdman was the first postmaster.
Herdman Customs (Lines)
The Canadian Customs Office on the border, south of Herdman. (44.995/74.086W)
Herdman Post Office
The Herdman Post Office operated from 1879 until 1915. It was previously known as Herdman's Corners and Dalveen Post Office.
Highland Ridge
The southern part of the First Range or Concession (Godmanchester) on the north side of Chemin Rivière de Laguerre, west of the Village of Laguerre. (45.11N/74.334W) Also called Scotch Ridge. It is now part of St-Anicet.
Highway #<xx>
See: Route <xx>.
Hillside Cemetery
A large protestant cemetery, dating from 1831, located on the Massey Sideroad, at the corner of Rte 202,, 2.2mi (3.6km) west of Rockburn. (45.024N/73.053W) Also known as Rennie's Cemetery or Graveyard and Black's Cemetery.
Hinchinbrook(e)
The name Hinchinbrook(e) with or without the e can be applied to a number of entries. The name started out as Hinchingbrooke after a historic Manor House in Huntingdonshire in England. The g in the middle got dropped and over the years the ending e appeared to be optional. In 1989, the council passed a resolution confirming the name to be Hinchinbrooke and it was confirmed by the responsible government authority. For the purposes of this document, I have standardized on Hinchinbrooke with the e.
Hinchinbrooke River
A river that starts with its source in the US (where it is called the Hinchinbrook Brook), crosses the border at the Herdman Customs (44.994N/74.084W) and flows northwest to its mouth at the Châteauguay River, 0.4mi (0.7km) NW of Athelstan Village. (45.039N/74.183W)
Hinchinbrooke Road
An old name for the First Concession Road (Hinchinbrooke).
Hinchinbrooke Township
One of three townships created with the old Huntingdon County when it was created in 1792. It was bounded on the northwest by the Châteauguay and Trout Rivers, on the northeast by the Seigniory of Beauharnois and a tiny tip of Hemmingford Township (later Franklin Township) and on the south by the US border. (center 45.06N/74.1W)
Hinchinbrook, The Village of
A reference in Bouchette Topographical Dictionary 1831 referring to Huntingdon Village which is mostly in Godmanchester Township, not in Hinchinbrooke Township. Curious! Another old map printed in London, England, showed V. of Hinchinbrooke on the south side of the Châteauguay River roughly in the area of the Boyd Settlement, in addition to Huntingdon Village. Mapmakers can often be mixed up and basing their information on old, dubious sources.
Hinchingbrooke
The original name for Hinchinbrooke Township and the name of a Manor House in Huntingdonshire in England.
Hogansburg(h) (NY)
A town in the northwestern corner of Franklin County at the St-Régis River and NYS RT37 junction. (44.974N/74.664W) It is either in or close to the St-Régis Indian Reserve.
Hogsback Ridge (Elgin)
A ridge along Oak Creek on the Second and Third Concessions (Elgin) and the road or trail on it that served as an outlet for the First and Second Concessions in the old times before the regular roads were built. It is possibly along the ridge of an esker (gravel hill left by the ice-age glacier) that shows on a recent topo map. It has also been called Hardwood Ridge and Indian Ridge.
Holbrook's Corners
A hamlet on the side of the Trout River, located 0.7mi (1.1km) NW of the US border at Trout River Lines. J. Holbrook had a store there and was postmaster. The customs house was also located at this location for a time.
Holbrook Bridge
A bridge across the Trout River connecting the First Concession (Elgin) to Rte 138 on the Godmanchester side. (45.008N/74.312W) Now called the Watson Bridge.
Holton
A hamlet that was located at the corner of Rtes 205 and 209. (45.182N/73.686W) It was previously called Hope's Corners.
Holton Post Office
The Holton Post Office operated from 1880 until 1914.
Holton Station
A railway station on the Canada Atlantic Railway (CNR) line, located 1.8mi (2.8km) SE of Ste-Clothilde. (45.137N/73.658W) Note that Holton Station is almost 3.5 mi (5.6km) from Holton on the opposite side of Ste-Clothilde.
Honey Mooers Corners (NY)
A village in NE New York State, 5mi (8km) SSE of Champlain border crossing, on the east side of the Chazy River. (44.942N/73.410W)
Hope's Corners
The early name for Holton at the junction of Rtes 205 and 209 near Ste-Clothilde.
Hope Sideroad (Montée Hope)
The section of Rte 205 from the St-Urbain/St-Clothilde boundary to Chemin de la Rivière (Ste-Clothilde) south of Rte 209.
Hopkin's Point
A point on the south shore of the St-Lawrence River, 0.5mi (0.8km) west of the mouth of the Salmon River, in the western corner of Dundee Township. (45.038N/74.535W)
Hospital Island
See: Île l'Hôpital.
Howick
A village on the west side of the English River, 2.2mi (3.6km) SW of the junction with the Châteauguay River. (45.187N/73.849W) The original name was La Village de La Fourche but was also sometimes called English River or George's Mill. The name of Howick was adopted sometime around the 1830s. It was named after Lord Grey, Earl of Howick who was British Prime Minister in the 1830s and a friend of the Seignior. It was part of the Paroisse de St-Malachie until 1885 when the Paroisse de Très-St-Sacrement was incorporated. Howick Village was incorporated as a separate entity in 1915.
Howick Catholic Cemetery
See: Très-St-Sacrement, Cimetière du.
Howick Junction
The original name for Ayrness Junction. See also: Village of Howick Junction, Canada Atlantic Railway, Montreal and Champlain Junction Railway.
Howick Parish
See: Très-St-Sacrement, Paroisse de.
Howick Post Office
The Howick Post Office has operated since 1851.
Howick Protestant Cemetery
See: Georgetown Cemetery and Riverfield Cemetery. Also Beechridge, Russelltown and Ormstown Union Cemeteries are close by in neighboring regions.
Howick Station
A railway station located where the Grand Trunk Railway (CNR) crossed Mill Road on the north edge of Howick Village.
Howick Station Post Office
The Howick Station Post Office operated from 1903 until it was merged with the Howick Post Office in 1958. It was located in a house near the railway station, where the rail line crossed Mill Road.
Huckleberry Rock
A mostly bare, rocky area on the south side of Covey Hill, close to the north side of Covey Hill Gulf. (45.008N/73.801W)
Hughes Station
The original name for Sherrington Station on the Province Line Branch of the Montreal and New York Railway line from Caughnawaga through Hemmingford to Plattsburgh (NY). It was probably named after James Hughes, a prominent early Sherrington citizen.
Hungry Bay
A bay in Lake St-Francis, 1.7mi (2.8km) south of the west end entrance of the (New) Beauharnois Power Canal. (45.206N/74.171W) It was a popular beach for the local area.
Huntingdon Anglican Cemetery (Old)
St-John's Anglican Cemetery is located at the corner of King and Dalhousie Streets. (45.088N/74.175W) There are only a few stones still visible. This congregation now uses the Huntingdon Union Cemetery.
Huntingdon Bridge
See: Lower Bridge, Upper Bridge, Walker Bridge.
Huntingdon Catholic Cemetery
The present Cimetière de St-Joseph is located on the east side the St-Josephs Parish Church at York St. and Rue de l'Eglise in east end Huntingdon. (45.094N/74.171W) It dates from 1902. There is an older cemetery used prior to this located at the back of the church. (45.093N/74.173W)
Huntingdon County
One of 21 counties created in Lower Canada in 1792 as a result of the Canada Act 1791. Comprised of all land (for legislature electorial purposes)or all "non-fief land" (for administrative purposes) west of the Richelieu River and south of the St-Lawrence River and the Seigniory of Longueuil (which was in Kent County). In 1829, It was split into Beauharnois, Laprairie and L'Acadie Counties and the name disappeared. The name reappeared in reorganized form in 1847 as the Municipality of the County of Huntingdon and included the previous Laprairie and L'Acadie Counties. In 1853, there was another reorganization and Huntingdon County was restored to the southwest, including the Townships of Godmanchester, Hinchinbrooke, Dundee and Hemmingford. In the 1860s, Hemmingford and Hinchinbrooke Townships were subdivided to form the new townships of Franklin and Havelock. This remained in place until the MRC revolution in the 1980 when it became part of the new MRC de Haut-St-Laurent (except for Hemmingford Township which joined the MRC Jardins-de-Napierville).
Huntingdon Creek
A tributary of the Châteauguay River with its mouth 0.6mi (1km) east of Huntingdon (45.092N/74.164W) and its source along the Ridge Road. Previously called Biggar Creek.
Huntingdon Methodist Cemetery, Old
An area located a short distance east of the present Huntingdon United Church was used by early Methodists and others as a burying ground. The details are sketchy at best and it is not known if it was an official Methodist site or just a convenient place. The site is now overbuilt with commercial buildings.
Huntingdon Presbyterian Cemetery
Now called the Huntingdon Union Cemetery.
Huntingdon Presbyterian Cemetery (Old)
See: St-Andrew's Cemetery (Old). It was located at the back of the Grove Hall in Huntingdon.
Huntingdon Protestant Cemetery
See: Huntingdon Union Cemetery.
Huntingdon Post Office
The Huntingdon Post Office has operated since 1829.
Huntingdon, Town of
A town on the Châteauguay River, 1mi (1.6km) north of the junction with the Trout River. (45.087N/74.174W) First named Long Rapids, it was renamed Bowron Village in 1824. In 1825, the name of Village of Huntingdon appeared as the title on the village plan prepared for the Governor. The Village of Huntingdon was incorporated as a separate entity in 1848. It was incorporated as a Town in 1921. It is sometimes mis-spelt Huntington.
Huntingdon Union Cemetery
The Huntingdon Protestant Cemetery is located on Rue François-Clyne (Rte 202), 0.45mi (0.7km) NW of Châteauguay Street (Rte 138). (45.094N/74.176W) It was founded in 1882 and served the United, Presbyterian and Anglican Church congregations. It is now a non-denominational cemetery.
Huntington
A common mis-spelling of Huntingdon.
Huntington Brook
An old name for a tributary of Allen Brook, draining a small area on the west side of Russelltown Flats. Its mouth is 0.5mi (0.8km) NW of Russelltown Flats. (45.070N/73.770W) One map spelt it Huntingdon but this may be an error. It is now called Ruisseau Boileau.
Hurley Road
An extension of the Cowan Road running from Cowan Corners to the Mooer Road. (45.073N/73.652W) It was named after John Hurley, a well known local resident.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

return

Or return to the

Placenames Home Page


Copyright ©2001-7 Burton Lang Revised:2007/02/04