South West Quebec

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

return

- I -
Place Names



Iberville
A large town on the east side of the Richelieu River opposite St-Jean-sur-Richelieu. (45.308N/73.240W) It was named in 1854 for Pierre Lemoyne, Sieur d'Iberville, an early french solder and explorer.
Île <xxxx>
French for island. See also: <xxxx> Island or Isle <xxxx>
Île-aux-Chats
An island off Grande-Île at the east end of Lake St-Francis. (45.268N/74.186W) It was at the southeast end of one of the dams built to control water to the Old Beauharnois Canal in 1844. It was also the southern end of the Canada Atlantic Railway bridge that ran across to Coteau-Landing. Now joined to the mainland by a causeway. It was previously named Clark's Island.
Île-à-Boquet
An island in the St-Lawrence River at the east end of the Lachine Rapids near the mouth of the St-Pierre River (Laprairie) (45.411N/73.574W) It has now been incorporated into the north bank of the St-Lawrence Seaway at Ste-Catherine.
Île-Ahiot
An island in Lake St-Francis close to the tip of Pointe-Casault, 1.6mi (2.7km) NE of St-Anicet Village. (45.158N/74.339W)
Île-à-l'Ail
An island in the St-Lawrence River, at the west end of Cedars Rapids, between St-Timothée and Les Cèdres. (45.298N/74.050W)
Île-à-l'Ours
A tiny island off the north side of the eastern tip of Grande-Île. (45.297N/74.073W)
Île-Arthur
A island in the St-Lawrence River, in Coteau Rapids, 0.7mi (1.1km) south of Coteau-du-Lac. (45.282N/74.174W) It was previously called Prisoner's Island.
Île-à-Tambault
One of the St-Lawrence River islands in the Îles-de-la-Paix group between Châteauguay and Beauharnois. It is located 1.2mi (1.9km) north of Maple Grove. (45.338N/73.850W)
Île-à-Thomas
One of the St-Lawrence River islands in the Îles-de-la-Paix group between Châteauguay and Beauharnois. It is located 1mi (1.6km) NW of Maple Grove. (45.332N/73.854W)
Île-au-Diable
An island in the St-Lawrence River in the middle of the Lachine Rapids. (45.414N/73.595W) Not to be confused with Île-du-Diable near Beauharnois.
Île-aux-Branches
An island in the Richelieu River, off the north end of Île-aux-Noix. (45.132N/73.258W)
Île-aux-Noix
An island in the Richelieu River, 13mi (21km) south of St-Jean-sur-Richelieu. (45.124N/73.264W) It was originally called Isle aux Têtes and was part of the Seigniory of Noyan. It is the location of the old Fort Lennox which is now a National Parks site.
Île-aux-Noix Cemetery
See: Cimetière de St-Paul-de-Île-aux-Noix.
Île-aux-Noix Post Office
The Île-aux-Noix Post Office operated from 1898 to the present time. Prior to that, it was named St-Valentin Post Office. The St-Valentin Post Office name was then applied to a new location in present day St-Valentin.
Île-aux-Noix (Village)
A village on the west side of the Richelieu River, 13mi (20km) south of St-Jean-sur-Richelieu. It is located on Rte 223, due east of St-Valentin. (45.133N/73.274W) Its official name is St-Paul-de-l'Île-aux-Noix. Prior to 1899, it was named St-Valentin(e).
Île-aux-Onacks
An old name for Île-Villemomble.
Île-aux-Plaines
One of the St-Lawrence River islands in the Îles-de-la-Paix group between Châteauguay and Beauharnois. It is located 1.7mi (2.8km) north of Maple Grove. (45.345N/73.842W)
Île-aux-Raisins (Richelieu River)
An island in the Richelieu River, off the north end of Île-aux-Noix. (45.130N/73.259W)
Île-aux-Raisins (St-Lawrence River)
An old name for Île-Lemoine, now attached to the east end of Île-à-l'Ail.
Île-aux-Seigneur
An artificial island created by the construction of the St-Lawrence Seaway. It is located on the north side of the Seaway channel starting at Ste-Catherine. (45.410N/73.593W)
Île-aux-Vaches
A long, thin island in the St-Lawrence River, 0.5mi (0.8km) SE of Les Cèdres. (45.302N/74.060W)
Île-aux-Veaux
A small St-Lawrence River island in the Île-de-la-Paix group between Beauharnois and Châteauguay. It is located 0.7mi (1.2km) north of Maple Grove. (45.332N/73.841W)
Île-Beaubien
An island in Lake St-Francis, 0.7mi (1.1km) NW of Port-Lewis. (45.180N/74.276W) It was previously named Île-Pinsonnault.
Île-Beaudry
A small island in the St-Charles River, 0.8mi (1.3km) west of St-Timothée. (45.281N/74.060W)
Île-Bienville
An island in the St-Lawrence River between Grande-Île and Coteau. It is on the north side of Île-d'Aloigny. (45.276N/74.173W) It was previously named Pig Island.
Île-Brisebois
An island in the St-Charles River (Valleyfield), on the south side of Nitro and on the northeast side of the Mgr-Langlois Blvd Bridge near Rte 30. (45.273N/74.085W)
Île-Calypso
See: Île-Lalanne.
Île-Cattle
The modern name of an island in the St-Lawrence River, in or next to the Akwesasne Indian Reserve (St-Régis). It is located 0.4mi (0.6km) north of the eastern tip of Île-Juane. (45.023N/74.609W) The islands in this area have changed in shape as well as name over the years. It seems to have been called Big Cow Island on an old map.
Île-Châtelain
The modern name of an island in the St-Lawrence River, in or next to the Akwesasne Indian Reserve (St-Régis). It is located near the mouth of Bittern Creek. (45.030N/74.583W) The islands in this area have changed in shape as well as name over the years. It seems to have been called Hazelnut Island on an old map.
Île-Chrétien
A small island in Lake St-Francis between Pointe-Doyon (Pointe-Casault) and Pointe-De-Coigne (Pointe-Decaigne) 2.3mi (3.8km) NE of St-Anicet. (45.166N/74.332W) It lies on the NW side of Île-Kindly.
Île-Christatie
See: Christatee Island.
Île-Collins (Dundee)
An island in Lake St-Francis, 1.8mi (3km) NNE of Fraser's Point. (45.069N/74.455W) It is part of the St-Régis Indian Reserve.
Île-Cow
The modern name of an island in the St-Lawrence River, in or next to the Akwesasne Indian Reserve (St-Régis). It is located off the east end of Île-St-Régis. (45.027N/74.604W) The islands in this area have changed in shape as well as name over the years. It seems to have been called Haley's Island on an old map.
Île-Cuisy
A small island in Lake St-Francis, just off the tip of Pointe-Doyon (Pointe-Casault), 1.9mi (3.1km) NE of St-Anicet. (45.161N/74.336W)
Île-d'Aloigny
An island in the St-Lawrence River between Grande-Île and Coteau-Landing. (45.271N/74.175W) The Mgr-Langlois Bridge (Rte 201) passes over it on the way to the north shore. It was previously called Thorn Island.
Île-de-Beaujeu
An island in the St-Lawrence River between Grande-Île and Coteau-Landing on the west side of Île-d'Aloigny. (45.266N/74.180W) It was previously called Maple Island (Grand-Île-aux-Erables). It is named after the Beaujeu Family who were owners of the Seigniory of Soulanges at one time. It is now part of the Hydro-Quebec control dam installation.
Île-de-la-Grosse-Pointe (Valleyfield)
A small island in the east end of Lake St-Francis, 0.5mi (0.8km) west of Grosse-Pointe at the north side of the western end of the (New) Beauharnois Power Canal. (45.242N/74.172W)
Îles-de-la-Paix
A group of islands in the St-Lawrence River, just off Beauharnois and Maple Grove, southwest of Châteauguay. (45.34N/73.85W)
Île-de-la-Prison (Prisoner's Island)
An old name for Île-Arthur. A modern topo map shows it as part of the mainland at Coteau-du-Lac but this is probably an error on the map marking.
Île-des-Cascades (Cascades Island)
An island in the St-Lawrence River, off the east end of Pointe-des-Cascades. (45.330N/73.944W)
Île-des-Franc-Tireurs
A island in Lake St-Francis, 1.9mi (3km) ENE of Port-Lewis, just off the tip of Pointe-Biron. (45.187N/74.249W)
Île-des-Grenadiers
An island in Lake St-Francis, 2.2mi (3.5km) NE of Port-Lewis. (45.198N/74.257W)
Île-Delâge
A tiny island off the north side of the eastern tip of Grande-Île. (45.297N/74.082W)
Île-Delisle
An island in the St-Lawrence River, off the Kahnawake Indian Reserve that disappeared during the construction of the St-Lawrence Seaway. It was merged with others to form Île-Tetakwitha.
Île-de-Salaberry
The modern name for Grande-Île on the north side of Valleyfield.
Île-des-Soeurs (Grises) (Nun's Island)
Another name for Île-St-Bernard at the mouth of the Châteauguay River. (45.391N/73.757W) Named for the Soeurs de la Charite de l'Hopital de Montreal (the Gray Nuns) who owned the Seigniory of Châteauguay from 1765 until 1854 when the seigniory system was abolished. The Sisters continue to own the island to the present day. Not to be confused with the Île-des-Soeurs/Nun's Island (Verdun).
Île-Dickerson
See: Dickerson Island.
Île-Dodens
The modern name of an island in the St-Lawrence River, in or next to the Akwesasne Indian Reserve (St-Régis). It is located 1.4mi (2.2km) north of the mouth of Bittern Creek. The islands in this area have changed in shape as well as name over the years. It seems to have been called White Birch Island on an old map.
Île-Dondaine
An island in the St-Lawrence River, close to the northwest corner of Grande-Île. (45.280N/74.166W) It was previously named Broad Island.
Île-du-Canal (St-Régis)
See: Canal Island (St-Régis).
Île-du-Diable
One of the St-Lawrence River islands in the Îles-de-la-Paix group between Châteauguay and Beauharnois. It is located 0.9mi (1.5km) north of Maple Grove. (45.334N/73.844W) Not to be confused with Île-au-Diable in the Lachine Rapids.
Île-du-Docteur
One of the St-Lawrence River islands in the Îles-de-la-Paix group between Châteauguay and Beauharnois. It is located 0.9mi (1.4km) NW of Maple Grove. (45.329N/73.755W)
Île-du-Large
An older name for La-Grande-Île (Maple Grove).
Île-Dundee
The modern name of an island in the St-Lawrence River, in or next to the Akwesasne Indian Reserve (St-Régis). It is located between Île-Christatee and the south shore. (45.042N/74.504W)
Île-Dupuis
A small island in Lake St-Francis, located on the west corner of Pointe-Dupuis, 2.9mi (4.7km) SW of St-Anicet. (45.117N/74.413W)
Île-du-Rapide
The old name for Île-du-Docteur.
Île-Forest
A small island located 0.6mi (1km) NW of St-Timothée. (45.294N/74.052W)
Île-Giroux
An island in the St-Lawrence River, 0.9mi (1.5km) east of Coteau-Landing. (45.260N/74.188W) It is part of the Canada Atlantic Railway (CNR) bridge from Grande-Île to Coteau-Landing.
Île-Goose
The modern name of an island in the St-Lawrence River, in or next to the Akwesasne Indian Reserve (St-Régis). It is located near the mouth of Bittern Creek. (45.030N/74.589W) The islands in this area have changed in shape as well as name over the years. It seems to have been called Berry Island on an old map.
Île-Jaune (Yellow Island) (St-Régis)
An island in the St-Lawrence River in the St-Régis Indian Reserve. It is located just west of the hamlet of Chenail, 5.5mi (8.8km) west of Dundee Village and 1.2mi (1.9km) NE of the mouth of the St-Régis River. (45.014N/74.624W)
Île-Jobin
An island in the St-Lawrence River, off the east end of Grande-Île, 0.9mi (1.5km) NW of St-Timothée. (45.297N/74.057W)
Île-Joubert
A island in the St-Lawrence River, south of Pointe-des-Cascades, in the middle of the Cascades Rapids. It was previously called Round Island. (45.330N/73.974W)
Île-Juillet
An island on the north side of the eastern tip of Grande-Île. (45.298N/74.066W) It is now joined to Grande-Île and Île-aux-Vaches with bridges.
Île-Kindly
A small island in Lake St-Francis, between Pointe-Doyon (Pointe-Casault) and Pointe-De-Coigne (Pointe-Decaigne), 2.3mi (3.8km) NE of St-Anicet. (45.165N/74.331W) It lies on the SE side of Île-Chrétien.
Île-Lebeuf
An island in the St-Lawrence River, off the east end of Grande-Île, 1.1mi (1.8km) NW of St-Timothée. (45.297N/74.060W)
Île-Lalonde
An island at the NE corner of Lake St-Francis, 0.6mi (1km) ESE of Coteau-Landing. (45.256N/74.195W) Previously named MacIntyre Island.
Île-Lalanne
An island in the vicinity of Port-Lewis, also known as Île-Calypso, that was occupied in the 1930s and 40s by a Dr. Lalanne, a strong nazi sympathizer and anti-semite. The exact location and official name has not been determined.?
Île-Lanouette
A small island in Lake St-Francis, 0.25mi (0.4km) off Pointe-Dupuis, 2.8mi (4.5km) SW of St-Anicet. (45.125N/74.413W)
Île-La-Noux
A name given to Île-St-Bernard on a 1763 map of Châteauguay prepared by military engineers for Gen. Murray of the British Army. Possible origin of the name is the de la Noue family that owned the Seigniory of Châteauguay in the 1700s. Noux may be a possible plural of Noue in old french.
Île-Léonard
An island in the St-Lawrence River, between Grande-Île and Coteau-Landing, 1.4mi (2.2km) NE of Coteau-Landing and 0.3mi (0.5km) east of the junction of Rtes 201 and 338. (45.272N/74.188W) Mgr-Langlois Bridge and Rte 201 passes over it. It was previously named French Island.
Île-l'Hôpital
An island in the Richelieu River, 2.6mi (4.2km) east of Lacolle. (45.080N/73.320W) The name comes from its use as a hospital for the treatment of sick and wounded British solders and sailors during the seige of Île-aux-Noix in 1759.
Île-Longue
An island in the St-Lawrence River, off the Kahnawake Indian Reserve, that disappeared during the construction of the St-Lawrence Seaway. It was merged with others to form Île-Tetakwitha.
Île-Longueuil
An island in the St-Lawrence River, between Grande-Île and Coteau-Landing, 1.5mi (2.4km) east of Coteau-landing. (45.257N/74.177W) Previously named Round Island where the Canada Atlantic Railway (CNR) Bridge crossed over the river to Coteau-Landing. Another old island, Swan Island, on the east side, appears to have been merged with Round Island, possibly during the construction of the railway bridge.
Île-Marchand
A small island in Lake St-Francis, just off the tip of Dupuis Point, located 2.6mi (4.2km) SE of St-Anicet. (45.125N/74.412W)
Île-Maricourt
An island in the St-Lawrence River, off the west end of Grande-Île, between Île-d'Aloigny and Île-Dondaine. (45.274N/74.168W)
Île-Mercier
A small island near Valleyfield, close to the tip of Grosse-Pointe, on the north side of the west end of the (New) Beauharnois Power Canal. (45.242N/74.166W)
Île-Minguy
An island in Lake St-Francis, 0.2mi (0.3km) NW of Pointe-Dupuis and 2.6mi (4.2km) WSW of St-Anicet. (45.127N/74.412W)
Île-Mud (St-Régis)
A small island in the mouth of the St-Régis River, at St-Régis Village in the Akwesasne Indian Reserve. (45.003N/74.641W)
Île-Paiement
A small island located 0.4mi (0.6km) NW of St-Timothée. (45.293N/74.049W)
Île-Papineau
A long island in the St-Lawrence River, close to the north side of St-Timothée. (45.292N/74.048W)
Île-Perrot
A large island off the west end of the Island of Montréal, across the St-Lawrence River from Beauharnois. (45.37N/73.94W) The first recorded settler in the Châteauguay Valley came over from Île-Perrot.
Île-Pinsonneault (St-Anicet)
An older name for Île-Beaubien, located 0.7mi (1.1km) NW of Port-Lewis.
Île-Pinsonneault (St-Timothée)
A small island in the eastern end of the St-Charles River, 1.3mi (2km) WSW of St-Timothée. (45.287N/74.063W)
Île-Plum
See: Plumb island.
Île-Racicot
An island in the St-Lawrence River, 0.4mi (0.7km) north of St-Timothée. (45.295N/74.039W)
Île-Rene-Lapierre (Dundee)
An island in Lake St-Francis, 1.3mi (2.2km) NE of Fraser Point. (45.063N/74.451W) It was previously named Buchanan Island.
Île-Ronde (Richelieu)
A small island in the Richelieu River, off the south end of Île-aux-Noix. (45.118N/73.269W)
Île-Ronde (St-Régis)
See: Round Island (St-Régis).
Île-St-Bernard
Present name for the large island at the mouth of the Châteauguay River. (45.391N/73.757W) It may be named after St-Bernard whose feast day was Aug 20, the purported date that the Seigniory of Châteauguay was granted in 1672. It has been named Île-la-Noux on some old maps and Île-des-Soeurs (Nun's Island) after the Soeurs de la Charite de l'Hopital de Montreal (Gray Nuns) religious order that has owned it since the 1760s.
Île-St-Joseph
An island in the St-Lawrence River, off the Kahnawake Indian Reserve, that disappeared during the construction of the St-Lawrence Seaway when it was merged with others to form Île-Tetakwitha.
Île-St-Nicholas
An island near Île-St-Bernard at the mouth of the Châteauguay River at Châteauguay, QC. Some old documents apply the Île-St-Nicholas name to the present Île-St-Bernard. It is not known if this was actually an old name or was a mistake.
Île-St-Paul
Probably a very early name for Île-à-Boquet in the Lachine Rapids at the mouth of the Rivière-St-Pierre. It is shown on an old map of the rapids as in line with the St-Pierre River mouth but the map is distorted and the exact identity of the island in modern terms is unclear. The only other possibility is Île-au-Diable but it is upstream from Rivière St-Pierre. Nun's Island (Verdun) has also been called Île-St-Paul on old maps.
Île-St-Régis (St-Régis Island)
An large island in the St-Lawrence River that belongs to the Akwesasne Indian Reserve. It is located 6.5mi (10.5km) west of Dundee Village, 1mi (1.6mi) north of St-Régis Village and is in the center of the river channel. (45.016N/74.639W)
Île-Ste-Thérèse
A large island in the Richelieu River, 3.8mi (6.3km) north of St-Jean-sur-Richelieu. (45.363N/73.257W) Also called Grand St-Therese Island.
Île-Saveuse
A long thin island on the east side of Les Cèdres, 0.9mi (1.5km) north of St-Timothée. (45.303N/74.040W) It is part of Hydro-Quebec's St-Timothée Control Dam installation.
Île-Sénécal
An island in the western end of Lake St-Francis, 0.75mi (1.2km) NE of Fraser's Point. (45.055N/74.461W)
Île-Sérigny
A small island in the St-Lawrence River, 0.6mi (1km) west of Grand-ile and on the north side of Île-Longueuil. (45.262N/74.174W)
Île-Sugar-Bush (Sugar Bush Island)
A marsh island on the south shore of the St-Lawrence River, in or next to the Akwesasne Indian Reserve (St-Régis). It is located 2.9mi (4.7km) WNW of Dundee Village, between the mouths of Bittern Creek and Succor Creek. Marsh islands can come and go or change shape drastically with small changes in water lever and this one is no exception.
Île-Tekakwitha
An island in the St-Lawrence River, off the Kahnawake Indian Reserve, 1.2mi (2km) west of Kahnawake Village. (45.414N/73.697W) It was created during the construction of the St-Lawrence Seaway, when the old islands named Île-Longue, Île-Delisle, and Île-St-Joseph were merged. It was named after Kateri Tekakwitha, an indian maiden from Kahnawake who lived in the early Mission days and is currently being investigated as a possible saint.
Île-Thompson
An island in the St-Lawrence River, in or next to the Akwesasne Indian Reserve (St-Régis). It is located 2.3mi (3.7km) north of the mouth of the Salmon River. (45.068N/74.509W)
Île-Urbain
An island in the Châteauguay River, 4.1mi (6.6km) north of Ste-Martine. (45.309N/73.796W)
Île-Villemomble
An island in the St-Lawrence River, between St-Timothée and Les Cèdres. It is 0.7mi (1.1km) north of St-Timothée. (45.299N/74.040W) It was previously named Isle-aux-Onacks.
Indian Point
The earliest name for Logan's Point, the point of land at the junction of the Châteauguay and English Rivers, 2.1mi (3.3km) north of Howick Village. (45.214N/73.837W) Later named LaFourche (french for "fork") and most recently named Logan's Point. Name was derived from the indian artifacts found in the area by early travellers.
Indian Lands (Dundee)
An area, in what later became Dundee Township, that was granted to the Mohawks in the mid 1700s by the french authorities. A survey in 1809 described the area as: Bounded on the north by Lake St-Francis, on the south by the "Province line" (US border), on the northeast by the Township of Godmanchester and on the west by the Salmon River. It divided these Indian lands from the St-Régis Indian Reserve which was on the other side of the Salmon River and south of the US border. The area was also called "The Indian Lands (or Reserve) of Kintail". Most of these lands were leased to white settlers and eventually acquired by them except for some areas in the extreme west end of what is now Dundee Township which was designated as part of the Akwesasne Indian Reserve.
Indian Mills
A mill on the Rivière la Tortue, where Delson is now located.
Indian Ridge (Elgin)
See: Hogsback Ridge (Elgin).
Irish Concession (Concession Irlandais) (Williamstown)
The Second DOUBLE Concession (Williamstown) and the road associated with it. (45.18N/73.82W) Now the west end is part of the Paroisse de Très-St-Sacrement and the east end is part of Ste-Martine Municipality. Not to be confused with the Second (single) Concession (Williamstown) which was located on the east side of Chemin Double (St-Urbain).
Irish Ridge (St-Anicet)
The Third Range or Concession (Godmanchester, now St-Anicet), especially the southwest half of the range. Named for the large number of Irish catholics that settled there in the early 1800s.
Irona (NY)
An old hamlet in northern New York State, located 7.1mi (11.5km) WSW of Mooers (NY) and 1.3mi (2.1km) south of US RT11, on Alder Bend Road. (44.904N/73.705W)
Island Point
As shown on a c1760s navigation map, a point on the west side of Lake Champlain or the Richelieu River. It was shown as located about 8 mi (12.8km) north of Point-au-Fer (south of Rouses Point, NY) but there is no obvious candidate shown on any modern map.
Island, The (Jamestown)
It is not really an island, just a long narrow point between the Châteauguay River and the Outarde River, located 0.7mi (1.1km) west of Ormstown and running west to the Boyd Settlement in Hinchinbrooke. Also known as Ormstown Island or Jamestown Island.
Isle, <xxxx>
Alternate english form of island. See also: <xxxx> Island and the french form, Île <xxxx>
Isle aux Têtes
An ancient name for Île-aux-Noix.
Isle Cascades
See: Île des Cascades.
Isle of Noah
An english corruption of Île-aux-Noix.
Isle of Skye
A settlement in Dundee Township along the First Concession (Dundee). The post office was located at the corner of Rte 132 and Chemin de la Pointe-Fraser that serves Fraser's Point. (45.036N/74.454W) Named after Skye, an island northwest of Scotland, that was the homeland of many of the early settlers to this settlement.
Isle of Skye Cemetery
An old cemetery in the Isle of Skye Settlement. It is located on Montée Murchison, 0.45mi (0.7km) NW of Rte 132 and 1.3mi (2.1km) NE of Fraser's Point. (45.054N/74.445W) It was also called the Broken Front Cemetery.
Isle of Skye Post Office
The Isle of Skye Post Office operated from 1904 until 1913. It was located on the First Concession (Dundee) at the corner of Rte 132 and Chemin de la-Pointe-Fraser that serves Fraser's Point. (45.036N/74.454W)

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

return

Or return to the

Placenames Home Page


Copyright ©2001-7 Burton Lang Revised:2007/02/04