South West Quebec

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

return

- N -
Place Names



Napierville
A town located at the junction of Rtes 219 and 221, east of Autoroute 15. (45.186N/73.406W) Named after Napier Christie (Burton), the owner of the Seigniories of Lacolle and De Léry in the early 1800s.
Napierville Catholic Cemetery
See: Cimetière de Napierville.
Napierville Protestant Cemetery
An old protestant cemetery located at Douglas' Corners on Rte 219, a short distance to the east of Autoroute 15. (45.196N/73.446W)
Napierville County
A county created in 1855 that included the so-called Sherrington Township and the late seigniories north of it and parts of the Seigniories of Lasalle and DeLéry. It became part of the MRC Les Jardins-de-Napierville in the early 1980s.
Napierville Junction Railway
A railway line running from Rouses Point (NY), through Lacolle to Adirondack Junction at Kahnawake. They did not own much rolling stock but rather made handsome profits by charging other railways the right to pass over their rails. According to signs, it now appears to be owned by the Canadian Pacific Railroad.
Napierville Post Office
The Napierville Post Office has been in operation since before 1832.
Napierville Station
A railway station on the Napierville Junction Railway line. It is located on the west side of Napierville where the rail line crosses Rte 219. (45.192N/73.416W)
Napper Road
A road in Hemmingford Township, running from the Williams Road, 1mi (1.6km) east of Rte 219, north to the Fisher Road. (45.076N/73.563W) Named after Alexander Napper, son of an early settler and a horse trader.
Naroua Lac
A name for Lake St-Francis on a 1656 New France Map. It is the Algonquin word for Iroquois.
Nesbitt's Mill
The location of a mill on the English River close to where the present Montée Giroux crosses the river. (45.059N/73.689W) Called Languedoc's Mill in 1839.
New Beauharnois Canal
The Beauharnois Power Canal built in the early 1930s to provide water from Lake St-Francis to the new Shawinigan Heat, Light & Power Company hydroelectric generating plant at Melocheville. (45.245N/73.977W) It became part of the St-Lawrence Seaway when the Seaway was built in the mid 1950s to replace the Soulanges Canal.
New Erin (Godmanchester)
The northeast end of the Third Concession (Godmanchester). (45.14N/74.15W) Name derived from the early Irish settlers. Also called New Ireland.
New Erin Post Office
The New Erin Post Office operated from 1897 until 1915.
New Erin Station
A railway station on the New York Central (Conrail) Railway line where it crossed the New Erin Road (Chemin New Erin), 0.5mi (0.8km) WSW of the Seigniorial Sideroad. (45.146N/74.138W)
New Found Out (Newfoundout)
A settlement on the Second Concession (Godmanchester) which is now the Second Range (St-Anicet). It was the area on the northeast side of the east branch of the Laguerre River. It is 5.6mi (9km) NW of the Town of Huntingdon, generally between the Quesnel Sideroad (Montée Quesnel) and the Plank Road (Chemin de Planches). (45.12N/74.28W) Named by an early settler because "it was a new discovery in the surrounding swamps".
New Ireland
Another name for New Erin.
New Lands (St-Louis)
The concessions in North Georgetown along the south side of the St-Louis River. (45.24N/73.94W)
New Longueuil
An old name for St-Zotique or the seigniory surrounding St-Zotique on the north side of Lake St-Francis, located 2mi (3.2km) SW of Coteau Landing. (45.244N/74.246W)
New Road Settlement
A settlement west of Havelock Corners, along what is now Rte 202. (45.05N/73.77W)
New Skye
The first name for the Isle of Skye Settlement.
New York Central Railway
An American railway company that ran a railway line through the valley from Malone through Huntingdon, Valleyfield, Beauharnois, and Châteauguay to Montréal in the 1890s. An earlier name was the New York Central and Hudson River Railway (St-Lawrence and Adirondack Branch). Following financial difficulties in the 1970s, it was reorganized as Conrail.
Nichols Sideroad (Byroad)
A road in Hemmingford Township running south from Covey Hill Road, 2.3mi (3.7km) from Cleland's Corners (Rte 219), along the east side of the English River, to the US border. (45.011N/73.653W)
Ninth Range (Franklin)
It was previously the Ninth Range (Jamestown) that was detached and added to the Township of Franklin when it was created. It is located on the north side of Chemin Grimshaw (Grimshaw Road), SW of Rte 201, 1.3mi (2km) north of Franklin Centre. (45.045N/73.93W)
Ninth Concession (Lacolle)
An area of Lacolle Township that is adjacent to the northeast corner of the Fifth Range in Hemmingford Township, that runs along the Quest Road. (45.098N/73.522W)
Nitro
A company town on Grande-Île, 2.3mi (3.7km) east of Valleyfield, built during the early 1940s to house the workers at the Dominion Industries Ltd. (DIL) munitions plant. (45.276N/74.093W)
Nitro Post Office
The Nitro Post Office operated from 1941 until 1961, when its name was changed to Valleyfield Sub No 6.
North Burke (NY)
A hamlet in northern New York, located 0.3mi (0.5km) south of the Jamieson Lines Customs. (44.987N/74.175W)
North Creek
A mis-spelt version of Norton Creek on one old map.
Northern Railroad of New York
A railway company that built a rail line from Rouses Point (NY), through Malone (NY), to Ogdensburg (NY), in 1848. It later became the Ogdensburg Railway in 1858, Ogdensburg and Lake Champlain Railroad in 1864 and eventually Rutland Railroad Co.
North Georgetown
A region of the Seigniory of Beauharnois, bounded on the north by the St-Louis River, on the east by Annstown region, on the south by the Châteauguay River and on the west by Ormstown region. (45.2N/73.9W)
North Georgetown Post Office
The North Georgetown Post Office operated from before 1832 until 1915. It was located at Reeve's Tavern on the north side of the Châteauguay River, 0.25mi (0.4km) west of the Turcot Bridge. (45.199N/73.870W)
North Street (Hemmingford Village)
The local name for the section of Frontier Street (Rte 219), north of the corner with Rte 202.
Norton Creek
A tributary of the English River with its source in the US, north of Mooers Forks and crossing the border, 1.8mi (2.9km) west of Hemmingford Customs. (45.004N/73.640W) It flows generally north to the region around Ste-Clothilde and then west to join the English River at Aubrey Village. (45.149N/73.792W) Named after David and Ebenezer Norton, early american settlers. One old map called it North Creek.
Norton Creek (hamlet)
A hamlet that was first located at a mill site on the Norton Creek where it crosses Rte 209, 1.6mi (2.6km) west of Ste-Clothilde. (45.151N/73.704W) It was also called Brownville for a time and also Norton Creek Crossing. It's name was later moved downstream to the hamlet of McGill's Corners where the Norton Creek Post Office was established some time before 1832.
Norton Creek Crossing
An early name for the first Norton Creek hamlet. It referred to the point where the "Black Cattle Road" crossed the Norton Creek.
Norton Creek Post Office
The Norton Creek Post Office operated from before 1832 until 1914. It was located at the old McGill's Corners hamlet. The earliest Norton Creek Post Office may have been located at the first Norton Creek location according to an 1839 map.
Norvalton
An early, short-lived name for St-Chrysostome Village, named after Robert Norval, a seigniory official.
Notre-Dame-de-Mont-Carmel
The present name for the village around the old railway junction of Cantic. (45.070N/73.342W)
Nouvelle-Cadie, La
An old local name for L'Acadie.
Nouveau Salaberry Post Office
The Nouveau Salaberry Post Office operated from 1936 until 1948. It was located at 10 Grande-Île Street in present day Valleyfield.
Nun's Island (Île-des-Soeurs)
Another common name for Île-St-Bernard at the mouth of the Châteauguay River. Named because the Soeurs de la Charite de l'Hopital de Montreal (Gray Nun's) owned the Seigniory of Châteauguay from 1671 and had a base of operations and hospital on the island. Not to be confused with the other Nun's Island, part of Verdun.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

return

Or return to the

Placenames Home Page


Copyright ©2001-7 Burton Lang Revised:2007/02/05