South West Quebec

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

return

- P-Q -
Place Names



Paddy Connel's Byroad (Hemmingford)
A local name for a short section of road running NW from Rte 219 along the Hemmingford Township line. (45.129N/73.566W) It is officially called Rang St-Pierre Ouest. In Sherrington, it used to be called Le Township Road.
Palmer's Rapids
A local name for the upper part of the rapids in the Châteauguay River at Huntingdon.
Papineau Road (Hemmingford)
An old, now abandoned road, that ran from James Fisher Road (Fisher Street), 2.2mi (3.6km) east of the junction with Rte 219, (45.018N/73.561W) south to the US border, where it may have connected with the Gokey Road in Mooers (NY). It is now a private farmer's lane.
Paradis' Bridge (L'Acadie)
An old bridge that was located on the Rivière L'Acadie, 1.7mi (2.8km) south of L'Acadie. (45.293N/73.357W)
Parish, <xxxx>
See: '<xxxx>, Paroisse de', Paroisse de <xxxx>, or just simply <xxxx>
Parishville (NY)
A village in northern New York State, located about 9mi (14km) east of Potsdam (NY). (44.629N/74.815W) It was the reputed origin of much of the cheap whiskey being sold in the valley in the early days.
Paroisse de <xxxx>, La
French for "Parish of". Could refer to either the Catholic Church Parish of <xxxx> or the civil municipality of the Parish of <xxxx> or both. In this document it will refer to the civil municipality.
Paroisse de Ste-Cécile
The municipality that included the old seigniorial region of Catherinestown, Grande-Île and the present city of Valleyfield before it was incorporated. It was reported to be merged with the city of Salaberry-de-Valleyfield in 1967. It is now part of the MRC de Beauharnois-Salaberry.
Paroisse de St-Clément-de-Beauharnois
A local administrative district created in 1845, consisting of part of the old seigniorial region of Annstown, the old catholic Parish of St-Clément, including the village of Beauharnois (which became independent a year later in 1846). It was part of the reform that replaced the first Municipal District of Beauharnois created in 1841 and it in turn was replaced in 1847 with another reform creating the Beauharnois District Council, Division Numbers One and Two. In 1855, there was further reform when the Counties were reborn. It was a confusing time.
Paroisse de St-Jean-Chrysostome-de-Russelltown
A catholic parish created in 18?? from the Mission of Ste-Martine and including parts of the Township of Hemmingford. It became the Municipality of Russelltown during the reforms in 1845. Officially recognized by the original name as a civil municipality in 1858.
Paroisse de St-Jean l'Evangeliste
A rural municipality surround the Village of St-Jean that became St-Jean-sur-Richelieu. It was created in 1855.
Paroisse de St-Louis-de-Gonzague
See: St-Louis-de-Gonzague, Municipalité de Paroisse de.
Paroisse de St-Malachie-d'Ormstown
See: St-Malachie-d'Ormstown, Municipalité de Paroisse de. See also: Ormstown, Municipality of.
Paroisse de St-Marguerite-de-Blairfindie
The original name for the parish surrounding L'Acadie created in 1854. The name derives from Ste-Marguerite d'Écosse and Blairfindie, an old name for L'Acadie.
Paroisse de St-Patrice-de-Sherrington
A rural municipality comprising the area surrounding Sherrington Village. It was created in 1850 from the old Sherrington Township that dated from 1809. It was named after St-Patrick because of the large number of early settlers from Ireland.
Paroisse de St-Paul-de-Châteauguay
A rural municipality comprising the area around the Village of Ste-Martine. It was incorporated in 1937 and merged with the Village of Ste-Martine in 2000 to form the modern Municipality of Ste-Martine.
Paroisse de Ste-Philomène
See: Ste-Philomène, Paroisse de
Paroisse de St-Timothée
See: St-Timothée, Paroisse de
Paroisse de Très-St-Sacrement
See: Très-St-Sacrement, Paroisse de
Paroisse de St-Urbain-Premier
See: St-Urbain-Premier, Paroisse de
Par-Rouge Rapids
See: Campbell's Rapids and Reed's Rapids. This is probably a corruption of Rapides du Pin-Rouge, the french name for the rapids at the upper end of Ste-Martine Village.
Paul Bridge (Elgin)
A bridge across the Trout River at the Paul Sideroad. (45.054N/74.224W) Named after Campbell Paul.
Paul Sideroad
A road in Elgin Township, running from the Third Concession Road near Oak Creek, north to the Paul Bridge across the Trout River. (45.045N/74.223W) Named after John Paul, along whose farm the road ran.
Peasoup
A local name for California Village, later named Aubrey, on the English River, near the junction with the Norton Creek.
Percy Bridge
The original name for the Powerscourt Covered Bridge.
Perry's Corners
An old name for Covey Hill Corners.
Perry Mills (NY)
A village in Clinton County, in northeastern New York State, located 2.8mi (4.5km) WNW of Champlain (NY). (45.002N/73.501W) It was also a railway station on the Northern Railroad of New York (Rutland Railroad) rail line.
Perrysville (Perry's Ville)
See: Perry Mills (NY).
Petite Bagnole, La (Hemmingford)
An old name for the Hardee Farm Road on the northeast boundary of Hemmingford Township. Also called Rang St-Pierre Est on the Sherrington Side. It is probably a french corruption of Little Bangall. See: Bangall.
Petite-Cadie, La
An old local name for L'Acadie.
Petite Californie
An old name for Aubrey Village on the English River. Also called California Village.
Petite-Chenail, La (Dundee)
The southern channel of the St-Lawrence River between Yellow Island (Île-Jaune) and the mainland at St-Régis. The spelling is the way it appears on the old maps, even though the proper french usage would be Le Petit-Chenail. Now called Chenail St-Régis.
Petite-Chenail Settlement
A settlement area in westernmost Dundee, along the shore of the Petite Chenail. (45.002N/74.644W) It was first settled by white settlers who leased the indian lands but is now in the St-Régis Indian Reserve. Also called the Chenail Range.
Petite-Côte (Seigniory of Châteauguay)
A short range of farms between Côte Ste-Marguerite and Côte St-Régis, next to the Kahnawake Reservation.
Petite-Côte (Seigniory of Lasalle)
A concession in Seigniory of Lasalle between the Petite Rivière and the St-Pierre River. (45.346N/73.567W)
Petite-Île
A companion to Grande-Île at Valleyfield but the exact location is unknown?
Petit-Rang, Chemin du (St-Urbain)
Originally a road between the First Concession (Williamstown) and the Second Concession (Williamstown), running southeast from what was then called Montée Grande-Ligne (now Montée Gervais). This road is now called Rang des Écossais after the Scotch Settlement in the same area prior to 1850. The closest Petite Rang is now a road on the other side of the St-Isidore boundary line. (45.253N/73.719W)
Petite Rivière
A tributary of the Rivière La Tortue with its source on the north side of St-Rémi and its mouth 1.2mi (2km) south of Delson Village. (45.357N/73.542W) Now called Ruisseau Lasalline. Also some maps labelled the Little Montreal River (Rivière L'Acadie) as the "Petite Rivière".
Petite Rivière du Nord
An old (c1760) name for Rivière Bernier, a tributary on the west side of the Richelieu River, on the south side of St-Jean-sur-Richelieu. (45.282N/73.248W)
Petite Rivière du Sud
An old (c1760) name for a small tributary on the east side of the Richelieu River, just south of St-Jean-sur-Richelieu. The only water course that approximates that location today is called the Ruisseau de la Barbotte. (45.270N/73.243W) Compare with: Grand Rivière du Sud which is today called Rivière du Sud and is a tributary on the east side of the Richelieu further south at Île aux Noix.
Petite Rivière Montréal
The french version of the Little Montreal River which was an old name for the Rivière L'Acadie.
Petite-Savanne
An area on the Middle Road of Côte Noir (road from Longueuil to Chambly, maybe the modern Chambly Road) about 2.5mi (4km) SE of Longueuil. See also: Grand-Savanne on the same road. A dictionary indicates that 'savane' is a French-Canadian term for a swamp.
Phillips Creek (Dundee)
A creek in the north corner of Dundee Township with its mouth 1.3mi (2.1km) NE of Fraser's Point. (45.059N/74.450W) Previously called Sherwood Creek and is now called McMillan Creek (Ruisseau McMillan).
Pied-du-Canal, Le
An old name for Melocheville. Named because it was at the downstream end of the Old Beauharnois Canal. See also: Tete-du-Canal.
Pierreville (Lacolle)
An old hamlet that was located at the corner of Montée Hay and Rang St-George, 2mi (3.2km) south of St-Valentin. (45.101N/73.321W)
Pigeonnière
See: Lapigeonnière.
Pig Island
An old name for Île-Bienville.
Pike Creek (Godmanchester)
One of the old names for Beaver Creek.
Pike Creek (St-Régis)
A tributary on the west side of the Salmon River with its source in the US and its mouth 1.6mi (2.5km) NW of Dundee Village. (45.017N/74.525W)
Pine Plains
An area at the western end of the Third Range (Godmanchester-now St-Anicet) that grew great, tall pine trees that were harvested for ship masts. It was located southwest of Cazaville, between Rte 132 and Chemin Neuf. (45.07N/74.38W)
Pin-Rigide, Réserve Écologique du
An ecological reserve located on the southern part of the Blueberry Rock in Ormstown Municipality. It is located at the northern corner of Franklin Township on the northeast corner of the Eighth Rang (Jamestown), 3.5mi (5.6km) north of St-Antoine-d'Abbe. (45.101N/73.873W)
Pin-Rouge, Rapides du
The french name for the rapids at the upper end of Ste-Martine Village. Also known as Campbell's Rapids and Reed's Rapids. Sometimes referred to by the corrupted Par-Rouge.
Pinsonnault Island
An older name for Île-Beaubien, located east of Port Lewis.
Piper's Road
A early 1800s rough road from the eastern Franklin area, across the Blueberry Rock to the mouth of the Rivière Outarde at Ormstown. It was used by the settlers travelling to the sawmill located at that point on the river.
Plage <xxxx>
French for Beach. See also: <xxxx> Beach.
Plage St-Blaise
A village on Rte 223, beside the Richelieu River, 7.7mi (12.3km) south of St-Jean-sur-Richelieu. (45.197N/73.265W)
plank road
A term used to describe a road that had been built using sawn wooden boards (planks) to support the traffic through wet, muddy areas. Similar to a "Corduroy Road" which used round logs for the purpose. The plank roads were smoother but did not last as long.
Plank Road (Chemin-des-Planches) (Godmanchester)
A road running from the Ridge Road at the back of Huntingdon, NW to Port Lewis. When originally built, it was 'paved' with wooden planks, hence the name. (45.120N/74.219W)
Plattsburgh and Montreal Railway
A railway that built a rail line from Plattsburgh (NY), north through Mooers (NY) to the Canadian border where it joined with the Montreal and New York Railway from Caughnawaga. The company was reorganized in 1856 and its name changed to the Montreal and Plattsburgh Railway. It later became part of the Rutland and Burlington Railway, then part of Vermont Central Railway in 1870 and finally acquired by the Delaware and Hudson Railway in the late 1870s.
Pleasant Valley (Lacolle)
A hamlet marked on an old map, that was located on Rte 202, 1.1mi (1.7km) east of the Bogton Road. (45.070N/73.486W) There are Pleasant Valley North and South service roads presently on this section of Rte 202. I have doubts about this location. There is a Belle Vallée (french for Pleasant Valley) hamlet and post office marked on other maps at the east end of this road where it joined with Rte 217. One modern map (c1965) showed the Belle Vallée to be somewhat south of this location along Rte 217 but it could have been in error. My guess is that Pleasant Valley and Belle Vallée is one and the same and was located at the corner of Rte 202 and 217.
Plumb Island (Île-Plum)
The name of an island in the St-Lawrence River, in or next to the Akwesasne Indian Reserve (St-Régis). It is located 1mi (1.6km) NE of the mouth of the Salmon River. (45.049N/74.513W)
Point au Fer
The old name for a large point or peninsula on the northwest corner of Lake Champlain, 3.5mi (5.6km) south of Rouses Point (NY) village.
Pointe-à-Boileau
A point in the Richelieu River at the village of Île-aux Noix. (45.131N/73.267W)
Pointe-à-Champagne
A point on a small island on the south side of the St-Lawrence River, located 1.2mi (2km) north of Maple Grove. (45.341N/73.838W)
Pointe-à-Delisle
A point on the north shore of the St-Lawrence River, on the west side of Pointe-des-Cascades and on the north side of the Split Rock Rapids. (45.326N/73.973W)
Pointe-à-La Meule
The old name of a point on the Richelieu River, located at Plage St-Blaise, 1.7mi (2.7km) SE of St-Balise-sur-Richelieu. (45.195N/73.261W)
Pointe-à-l'Esturgeon
A point in the Richelieu River, 1.3mi (2.1km) south of the village of Île-aux-Noix. (45.110N/73.282W)
Pointe-à-Moulin
A point on the east end of Île-Saveuse, in the St-Lawrence River, between St-Timothée and Les Cèdres on the north shore. (45.308N/74.023W) This may be the same as the Pointe-aux-Moulin shown on an 1856 map as on the northshore east of Village of Cedars.
Pointe-au-Foin (Hay Point)
A point on the north shore of Lake St-Francis, 2.6mi (4.2km) east of Rivière Baudette. (45.224N/74.276W)
Pointe-aux-Anglais
A point on the north side of the head of Baie St-François at Valleyfield. (45.260N/74.133W)
Pointe-au-Baudet
An older spelling for Pointe-au-Beaudette.
Pointe-au-Beaudette
A point on the north shore of Lake St-Francis, 0.8mi (1.3km) SW of the mouth of the Rivière Beaudette. (45.199N/74.323W) On older maps it was spelt Pointe-au-Baudet.
Pointe-aux-Brodeur
A point on the south side of the mouth of Baie St-François. (45.252N/74.152W)
Pointe-aux-Chats
A point on the east end of Île-aux-Chats, at the mouth of Baie St-François at Valleyfield. (45.255N/74.156W)
Pointe-au-Chien
A point on the north shore of the St-Lawrence River, just west of Pointe-des-Cascades. (45.321N/73.986W) Previously called Dog's Reef.
Pointe-au-Sables
A point on the northern tip of Île-St-Bernard at Châteauguay. (45.402N/73.755W)
Pointe-aux-Erables
A point on the south shore of the St-Lawrence River on the west side of St-Timothée. It is located 0.5mi (0.8km) WNW of St-Timothée close to Île-Papineau. (45.291N/74.050W)
Pointe-aux-Moulins
A point on the north shore of the St-Lawrence River on the east side of the old village of Cedars. On the modern maps, it is hard to identify due to changes on the shoreline but I believe it was located about a mile or so east of Les Cèdres. (45.308N/74.036W) It may also be the same as the Pointe-à-Moulins shown on a modern topo map at the tip of Île-Saveuse, due to man-made changes on the shoreline?.
Pointe-à-Valier
A point on the north shore of the St-Lawrence River, between Les Cedres and Coteau-du-Lac. (45.310N/74.103W) It was spelt as Pointe-à-Walier on an older map.
Pointe-Bayard
A point on the south shore of the St-Lawrence River, 1.1mi (1.7km) NE of St-Timothée. (45.302N/74.030W)
Pointe-Bell
A point on the south side of the St-Lawrence River, located in the Kahnawake Indian Reserve, 2mi (3.2km) west of Kahnawake Village. (45.406N/73.714W)
Pointe-Biron
A point on the south shore of Lake St-Francis, 1.8mi (3km) ENE of Port-Lewis. (45.186N/74.249W)
Pointe-Breezy
A point on the south shore of Lake St-Francis, 2.6mi (4.2km) NW of Cazaville. (45.107N/74.414W) It was previously called Levington's Point and in the old days it was named Cascagnette's Point.
Pointe-Burgoyne
A point on the east side of Île-aux-Plaines in the Îles-de-la-Paix island group north of Maple Grove, located 1.3mi (2.2km) north of Maple Grove. (45.342N/73.842W)
Pointe-Caissonettes
An older name for Pointe-Castagner. It was previously called Caza's Point.
Pointe-Casault
A point on the south shore of Lake St-Francis, 1.9mi (3.1km) NE of St-Anicet Village. (45.160N/74.335W)
Pointe-Cascagnette
A point located on the south shore of Lake St-Francis, on the west side of Pointe-Dupuis. It is probably the old name for Pointe-Breezy or Levington Point as they are in line with lot 50 and according to Sellar, the first settler on lot 50 was a Cascagnette. Dupuis had lot 48 on the east side, hence Point Dupuis. (45.108N/74.414W)
Pointe-Cascagnette Cemetery
An old cemetery used by many of the early settlers although it was not consecrated by the Catholic Church (priests were not always available to do the honours in those early days) so was avoided by others. It was located somewhere on Cascagnette's Point. (45.109N/74.412W) It is now been plowed over and disappeared.
Pointe-Castagner (Pointe-Edmour Castagner)
A point on the south shore of Lake St-Francis, 0.8mi (1.3km) NE of St-Anicet Village. (45.151N/74.352W) It was previously known as Caza's Point and Pointe-Caissonettes. There is also a hamlet by the same name on the point. (45.149N/74.349W)
Pointe-Decaigue
A point on the south shore of Lake St-Francis, 1.9mi (3.1km) west of Port-Lewis. (45.169N/74.320W) Called Pointe-de-Coigne on a newer topo map.
Pointe-Doyon
A point on the south shore of Lake St-Francis, 2mi (3.2km) NE of St-Anicet Village. (45.157N/74.339W)
Pointe-de-Bleury
A point in the Richelieu River, 2.2mi (3.5km) NNE of the Village of Île-aux-Noix. (45.157N/73.262W)
Pointe-de-Coigne
A newer name or spelling for Pointe-Decaigue.
Pointe-de-Maple Grove
A large point on the south side of the St-Lawrence River, located at the town of Maple Grove. (45.326N/73.845W)
Pointe-du-Buisson
A point on the south side of the St-Lawrence River, located 1.5mi (2.4km) west of Melocheville. (45.319N/73.968W)
Pointe-du-Docteur
A point on the south side of the St-Lawrence River, located on Pointe-de-Maple Grove, 0.6mi (1km) north of Maple Grove. (45.329N/73.842W)
Pointe-du-Domaine
A point on the NE corner of Grande-Île, 3.4mi (5.4km) NNE of Valleyfield. (45.300N/74.099W)
Pointe-du-Lac
The location of the first Valleyfield paper mill from which Valleyfield got its name. It was probably a point on the west end of Grande-Île?.
Pointe-du-Milieu
A point at the east end of Lake St-Francis, north of Hungry Bay, south of the west end of the Beauharnois Power Canal. (45.123N/74.167W)
Pointe-Dupuis
A point on the south shore of Lake St-Francis, 3.2mi (5.2km) NW of Cazaville. (45.126N/74.409W)
Pointe-Gaston-Meloche
A point on the south shore of the St-Lawrence River, 1.6mi (2.5km) NE of St-Timothée. (45.302N/74.006W)
Pointe-Goyette
A point on the south side of the St-Lawrence River, located on the NE corner of Pointe-de-Maple Grove, 0.7mi (1.2km) NE of Maple Grove. (45.331N/73.832W)
Pointe-Genier
A point on the south shore of Lake St-Francis, 1.1mi (1.8km) west of Port-Lewis. (45.170N/74.305W)
Pointe-Haineault
A point on the south side of the St-Lawrence River, located 3.2mi (5.1km) WSW of Melocheville. (45.305N/73.895W)
Pointe-Hébert
A point on the south side of the St-Lawrence River, located on the west corner of Pointe-de-Maple-Grove, 0.7mi (1.1km) west of Maple Grove. (45.325N/73.852W)
Pointe-Hopkins
A point on the St-Lawrence River near St-Régis, located on the west side of the mouth of the Saumon River. (45.038N/73.529W)
Pointe-Julien
A point on the south shore of the St-Lawrence River, 1.2mi (1.9km) NE of St-Timothée. (45.302N/74.025W)
Pointe-Laberge
A point on the south side of the St-Lawrence River, located 0.7mi (1.1km) ENE of Beauharnois. (45.319N/73.863W)
Pointe-Lalonde
A point on the south shore of Lake St-Francis, 2.6mi (4.1km) east of Port-Lewis. (45.183N/74.232W)
Pointe-Langevin
A point on the south side of the Rivière St-Charles, 1.7mi (2.7km) WSW of St-Timothée. (45.280N/74.073W)
Pointe-Leblanc
A point on the south shore of Lake St-Francis, 3.5mi (5.6km) west of Cazaville, on the St-Anicet/Dundee boundary line. (45.078N/74.441W) Also the hamlet by the same name on the point. (45.075N/74.439W)
Pointe-Leger
A point on the south side of the Rivière St-Charles, across from the town of Nitro. (45.273N/74.084W)
Pointe-Letreille
A point on the south shore of Lake St-Francis, 2.3mi (3.7km) WNW of Cazaville. (45.078N/74.432W)
Pointe-McKillop
A point on the south shore of Lake St-Francis, 0.3mi (0.5km) north of Port-Lewis. (45.176N/74.280W)
Pointe-Meloche
A point on the north side of Grande-Île, 2.7mi (4.3km) north of Valleyfield. (45.298N/74.109W)
Pointe-Mercier
A small point on the south side of the St-Lawrence River, located 0.4mi (0.7km) west of Woodlands. (45.356N/73.794W)
Point More
An old name (c1762) for a point on the west side of the Richelieu River, just north of the US border at Rouse's Point (NY). The exact modern location is uncertain?.
Pointe-Moquin (Île-aux-Noix)
A point on the Richelieu River at the Village of Île-aux-Noix. (45.128N/73.269W)
Pointe-Mouillee
A large point in Ontario on the north shore of Lake St-Francis, 1.6mi (2.6km) SE of Bainsville, ON. (45.167N/74.390W)
Pointe-Piche
A point on the south side of the St-Lawrence River, located 2.1mi (3.3km) NE of Maple Grove. (45.343N/73.812W)
Pointe-Pilon
A point on the south side of the St-Lawrence River, located 2.6mi (4.1km) west of Melocheville. (45.311N/73.982W)
Point Round
One of two points in the Châteauguay River, halfway between Howick and Ormstown, close to the hamlet of Brysonville. It is formed by a meander in the river. Point Round is on upstream, west side of the river and its counterpart on the downstream, east side is called Round Point. (45.149N/73.934W) It was also called Cross's Point.
Point Round Bridge
The railway bridge crossing the Châteauguay River at Point Round.
Point Round Station
The original name for Bryson's Station at Brysonville. It was located on the east or south side of the Châteauguay River where the rail line crosses the river at Point Round.
Pointe-Rousson
A point at the east end of Lake St-Francis, 0.8mi (1.3km) north of the north side of the west end of the Beauharnois Power Canal. (45.248N/74.159W)
Point St-Louis (Beauharnois)
A point on the south side of the St-Lawrence River, located on the west side of the mouth of the St-Louis River at Beauharnois. (45.319N/73.881W) It is now named Pointe-Thibodeau.
Pointe-St-Louis (St-Anicet)
A point on the south shore of Lake St-Francis, 0.7mi (1.1km) west of Port-Lewis. (45.173N/74.295W)
Pointe-St-Michel
A point on the south side of the Rivière St-Charles, 0.3mi (0.5km) west of the bridge on Mgr-Langlois Blvd near Rte 30. (45.269N/74.091W)
Pointe-St-Timothée
An older name for Pointe-Pilon.
Pointe-Seigneuriale
A point on the south shore of Lake St-Francis, 2.9mi (4.6km) WNW of St-Stanislas-de-Koska. (45.197N/74.183W) Name is taken from the fact that it lies exactly on the boundary line between the Seigniory of Beauharnois and the County of Huntingdon. Also directly in line with the Seigniorial Sideroad (Montée Seigneuriale) between Godmanchester and Ormstown.
Pointe-Thibodeau
A point on the south side of the St-Lawrence River, located on the west side of the mouth of the St-Louis River at Beauharnois. (45.319N/73.881W) It was previously known as Point St-Louis.
Pointe-Toupin
A point on the north side of the Rivière St-Charles, on the east side of the town of Nitro. (45.278N/74.074W)
Pollica Road (Franklin)
A road that runs from Rte 209, 1.5mi (2.4km) SW of Franklin Centre, west to the Clinton Sideroad. (45.015N/73.951W)
Pont <xxxx>
French for bridge. See: <xxxx> Bridge.
Pont du Centenaire (Centenial Bridge) (Ormstown)
The bridge across the Châteauguay River on Bridge Street in Ormstown. (45.124N/73.993W)
Pont Mercier (Kahnawake/Lasalle)
A major highway (Rte 138) bridge over the St-Lawrence River, between Kahnawake on the south shore to Lasalle on the Island of Montréal. Named after Honoré Mercier, a premier of Quebec Province. (45.417N/73.655W)
Pont Mercier (Ste-Martine)
The bridge across the Châteauguay River, 2.7mi (4.3km) north of Ste-Martine, where the Beauce Road (Rte 205) crosses the river. (45.281N/73.802W)
Portage Island
A marsh island on the west side of the Salmon River in western Dundee Township. It is located 1.9mi (3.1km) NW of Dundee Village. (45.023N/74.529W) It was originally leased by white settlers in the early 1800s but it is now part of the St-Régis Indian Reserve.
Portage, Le
The first name for Dewittville hamlet, or the rapids in the Châteauguay River at Dewittville. Named because of the particularly rough rapids that required all canoes to stop and portage them.
Port Lewis
A village on the south shore of Lake St-Francis, at the junction of the Plank Road from Huntingdon with Rte 132, 4.5mi (7.2km) ENE of St-Anicet Village. (45.171N/74.281W)
Port Lewis Post Office
The Port Lewis Post Office operated from 1860 until 1948, the last 5 years on a seasonal basis.
Potash, The
An old local name for Dewittville. A corruption of Le Portage.
Poupart Road (Montée Poupart) (Hemmingford)
A road running north from the Hurley Road, just east of the junction with Montée Giroux, to the Back Bush Road. (45.079N/73.683W) Some maps show it as including the north/south section of road between Chemin St-Joseph (St-Chrysostome) and the Back Bush Road (Hemmingford)?. Named after a family that lived on the road. It was previously called Rang de Guenille and the Baskin Road.
Powerscourt (Power's Court) (Hinchinbrooke)
A hamlet located on the east side of the Châteauguay River, on the First Concession Road. (45.007N/74.159W) It is the location of a well known covered bridge as well as an early mill location due to the water power in the river at that place.
Powerscourt Covered Bridge
A well known covered bridge over the Châteauguay River on the First Concession Road between Hinchinbrooke and Elgin Townships. (45.007N/74.160W) It was also called the Percy Bridge. It is now a protected heritage site.
Powerscourt Hydro Electric (Co.) Dam
Located on the Châteauguay River just south of the Powerscourt covered bridge. (45.005N/74.159W)
Powerscourt Post Office
The Powerscourt Post Office operated from 1864 until 1915.
Prairie-de-la-Magdelaine, La
The Laprairie area as shown on Bellini 1744 map. It was the name of an early Catholic Mission to the Mohawks at their first village in the region. Also another name for the Seigniory of Laprairie. The Laprairie Parish was named Notre-Dame-de-LaPrairie-de-la-Magdeleine.
Primeau, Chemin de
An old name for the stretch of Rte 138 from Ste-Martine to Kahnawake. It was named after Marc Antoine Primeau, an entrepreneur from Ste-Martine, who first built a plank toll road along the route in 1849.
Primeau Station
Primeau Station is shown as a railroad station on the New York Central rail line midway between Châteauguay Heights and Adirondack Stations. This would place it at the point where the rail line crosses Rte 138 in the Kahnawake Indian Reserve. The old name for Rte 138 of Chemin de Primeau could be the origin of the name. Not to be confused with the station at Primeauville, which is the north end of Ste-Martine.
Primeauville
The northern portion of the Village of Ste-Martine. First known as the Lower Village because it was downstream on the river. (45.258N/73.796W) Named after Marc Antoine Primeau, an early merchant and entrepreneur. Also known as the Domaine du Peche aux Salmons.
Primeauville Post Office
The Primeauville Post Office operated from 1901 until 1953. Prior to that, it was named Ste-Martine Station Post Office.
Prisoners Island
An island in the north channel of the St-Lawrence River between Grande-Île and Coteau-du-Lac as shown on an 1853 map. (45.283N/74.174W) It is now called Île-Arthur. A modern topo map shows a "Île-de-la-Prison" as part of the mainland at Coteau-du-Lac but that is probably in error?.
Proulx Island
A marsh island on the south shore of the St-Lawrence River, in or next to the Akwesasne Indian Reserve (St-Régis). It was located 1.8mi (2.9km) north of Dundee Village, 0.9mi (1.3km) east of Marsh Island. (45.023N/74.504W) Marsh islands can come and go or change shape drastically with small changes in water lever. Proulx Island no longer appears on maps.
Province Line
An old general term for the US/Canada Border. The boundary referred to was between the old British Provinces of Quebec and New York before the US Revolutionary War. The name stuck after the US side became independent.
Province Line Branch
The railway line built by the Montreal and New York Railway, that ran from Caughnawaga, through Hemmingford to connect with the Montreal and Plattsburgh Railway at Mooers (NY).
Province Line (Hemmingford)
The point at which the railway line between Hemmingford and Mooer's (NY), crossed the US border near Hemmingford. It was technically a station for administrative purposes only.
Pumpkin, The (Le Punkin) (Hemmingford)
A name (c1940s) used by the local hunters for an area along the Back Bush Road (Hemmingford) in the area around the Whyte Road. It was used by some of the local farmers as a source of hay for their cattle as the area was described as a "beaver meadows".

 Q:
 

Quesnel Concession (St-Anicet)
A settlement in St-Anicet but its exact location is unknown? It was probably on the Second Range east of the Laguerre River.
Quest Road (Chemin Quest) (Hemmingford)
A road in Hemmingford Township, running from the Williams Road at Hallerton Corner, north to the Sherrington Township line. (45.084N/73.529W) Some modern road maps show it mis-spelt as "Ouest Road".

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

return

Or return to the

Placenames Home Page


Copyright ©2001-7 Burton Lang Revised:2007/02/05