South West Quebec

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

return

- T -
Place Names



Talon
A town that was located 3.4mi (5.4km) north of St-Jean-sur-Richelieu. (45.355N/73.276W) It merged with St-Luc in the late 1960s which in turn has merged with St-Jean-sur-Richelieu and several other neighboring towns in 2001 to form the new city of Ville de St-Jean-Iberville.
Talon Post Office
The Talon Post Office operated from 1907 until 1969 at which time the name and status changed to Talon St-Luc Sub Post Office. The sub post office closed in 1972.
Tatehurst
A hamlet that was located on Rte 201, 1.6mi (2.5km) NW of Ormstown, at the corner with the Lower Ormstown Concession. (45.142N/74.014W)
Tatehurst Post Office
The Tatehurst Post Office operated from 1893 until 1918.
Tate's Corners
Another name for Tatehurst.
Teafield, large and small (La Terre Noire)
An area of wet, marshy, black peat bog in the St-Anicet/Ste-Barbe area. A map from 1839 shows a large area halfway between Huntingdon and Lake St-Francis as Teafield Swamp. Attempts have been made to drain them and use them for farming and as a result, the area has been greatly reduced in size. Two remaining areas of bogland have been proposed as ecological reserves. One, designated the Large Teafield, is located 2.8mi (4.4km) SSW of Ste-Barbe Village, between Chemin de l'Eglise and Chemin Teafield. (45.13N/74.21W) The other, designated the Small Teafield, is located 3.5mi (5.6km) east of St-Anicet Village, in the First Concession (St-Anicet) between the Delmont Range and the Quesnel Concession Road. (45.14N/74.29W) Origin of name is interesting. According to Sellar, a surveying party stopped to camp for the night and were having supper. One of the party, on account of a near fatal accident that day, proposed that they should name the place. It was agreed that it should be known as Teafield - from their having partaken of their supper upon it. I would have thought that the name came from the typical brown water that permeates the black peat bog. The former makes a better story.
Tennessee
An area located in the SE region of the Kahnawake Indian Reserve on Rte 207/221, 3.4mi (5.4km) SSE of Kahnawake Village. (45.381N/73.661W)
Teohauta (Teohanta)
An old name (c1850s) for a hamlet at or near present day Melocheville?. According to an old woman elder of the Kahnawake community, it is an old, now disused, Mohawk word meaning 'a gathering or meeting place' and is pronounced 'ta hata' or something similar. The only documented mention I can find of the name is in the Post Office Archives. There are references to Leohauta, Leshaute and Leshauts in parish records, probably misinterpretation of poor handwriting.
Teohauta (Teohanta) Post Office
The Teohauta Post Office operated from 1853 until 1863 when its name was changed to Melocheville Post Office.
Tete-du-Canal
An early name or local nickname for the village that became Salaberry-de-Valleyfield. The name was based on its location at the upstream end of the old Beauharnois Canal constructed in the mid 1840s.
Texas
An area located in the NE region of the Kahnawake Indian Reserve close to Rte 132, 2.2mi (3.6km) ESE of Kahnawake Village. (45.398N/73.633W)
Thayers Corners (NY)
A hamlet in northern New York State, located on US RT11, 3mi (4.8km) west of Chateaugay (NY).
Third Concession (Elgin)
The third concession north of the US border in Elgin Township. It is located between the Second and the Third Concession Roads in Elgin. (45.03N/74.25W)
Third range (Franklin)
The concessions or ranges in Franklin Township are confusing. Franklin was formed from parts of Hemmingford Township (parts of First and Second Ranges), Hinchinbrooke (parts of First, Second and Third ranges), Russelltown (parts of all 5 ranges) and Jamestown (Seventh, Eighth and Ninth ranges) The ranges have not been renumbered in Franklin, hence the confusion. The Third Range probably refers to the Third Range (Russelltown) that is on the south side of the Brooks Road.
Third Concession (Godmanchester)
The third range or concession south of the Lake St-Francis shoreline. The concessions of Godmanchester are confusing. There were two groups of concessions, six to the west and five to the east, with a dividing line just east of the Plank Road. To the west, the Third Concession lies along the south side of the Chemin des Prairies and the Chemin Neuf and on the north side of Chemin Walsh, Chemin Curran, and Chemin Ridge in the Municipality of St-Anicet. (45.090N/74.296W) This southwest end in now the southern most range in St-Anicet Parish. On the east side of the Plank Road, the Third Concession lies between the Chemin du Ruban and the Chemin New Erin in the Municipality of Ste-Barbe. (45.156N/74.141W)
Third Concession (Hinchinbrooke)
The range of farms along the north side of Rte 202 from Rockburn west. It is the third range north of the US border. (45.03N/74.04W)
Third Concession (North Georgetown)
A range of lots running at right angles to the Châteauguay River, from the back of the North Georgetown River Front Concession, NW towards the St-Louis River. (45.20N/73.92W) Now known as Rang 30 (St-Louis-de-Gonzague) although it was sometimes called Rang 3 (St-Louis-de-Gonzague)
Third Concession (Ormstown)
The range of farms on the north side of the Ormstown Concession Roads, Upper (45.145N/74.06W) and Lower (45.15N/74.01W).
Third Range (Russelltown)
The range of farms on the north side of the Lemieux Range (Chemin Lemieux) and the south side of Brooks Road (Franklin). (45.06N/73.84W) It has now been split between St-Chrysostome Parish and Franklin Township.
Third Range (St-Anicet)
The southernmost range in St-Anicet, previously Third Range Godmanchester.
Thorn Island
The old name of an island in the North Channel of the St-Lawrence River, between Grande-Île and Coteau Landing. It is now called Île-d'Aloigny.
Tisserands, La Vallée des (The Valley of the Weavers)
The name of the new french language school commission that controls all the french schools in the MRC Beauharnois-Salaberry and the MRC Haut St-Laurent. The name probably derives from the extensive weaving industry in SW Quebec, particularly at Valleyfield and Huntingdon.
Tortue, La
See: La Tortue.
Tortue Station, La
See: La Tortue Station. (45.374N/73.537W)
Tortue River
See: La Tortue River.
Town of <xxxx> (NY)
The term 'Town' as applied in New York and probably other American states means the same as the term 'Township' or the french 'Canton' on the Canadian side of the border. For example, the Town of Malone (NY) is the large rural municipality in Franklin County of northern New York State and the Village of Malone is a large urban community within that municipality.
Towns Cemetery
An old family cemetery located on private property on the north side of Rte 202, 1mi (1.6km) west of Franklin Centre. It is on the left side of the stone walled lane, a short distance from the road.
Township Road, Le (Hemmingford)
An old name for Chemin St-Pierre Est on the boundary line between Hemmingford Township and St-Patrice-de-Sherrington Municipality.
Traverse-aux-Vaches
A ford across the La Guerre River, at a place north of the forks between the East and West branches of the river. It was part of a cattle smuggling trail from the US to the British troops at Coteau and Cornwall.
Très-St-Sacrement, Municipalité de Paroisse de
A rural municipality created in 1885, that includes the Village of Howick (until 1915) and the area surrounding it. It included most of the old South Georgetown and parts of Williamstown and North Georgetown regions of the Seigniory of Beauharnois. (45.17N/73.86W)
Trinity Anglican Cemetery
An old protestant cemetery located on Rte 202, 0.75mi (1.2km) west of Havelock Corner. (45.045N/73.773W)
Trout River (Rivière-à-Truite)
A major tributary of the Châteauguay River, with its source in the Adirondack Mountains in northern New York. It crosses the border on the east side of Trout River Customs (44.992N/74.307W) and flows northeast to its mouth, 1mi (1.6km) SW of the Town of Huntingdon. (45.074N/74.184W)
Trout River Bridge
See: Fourth Concession Bridge (Elgin), Gavin Bridge, Holbrook Bridge, Morrison Bridge, Murray Bridge, Paul Bridge, Tully's Bridge, Watson Bridge.
Trout River Cemetery (old)
An old burying ground near the Trout River Post Office on lot 39, Fifth Concession (Godmanchester) about 0.4mi (0.6km) east or NE of the corner of the Carr Sideroad and Rte 138. It was probably on land owned by Samuel Pelton (old lot# 40) and may have been known as the Pelton Burying Ground. It was reported by Sellar as plowed over in 1888. Not to be confused with the Marshall family cemetery nearby on Lot 42.
Trout River Customs
The Canadian Customs Port at the Trout River Lines border crossing. (44.992N/74.308W) It was originally located at Holbrook's Corners, 0.7mi (1.1km) NW of the present border crossing.
Trout River (Godmanchester)
An old hamlet that was located on the northwest side of the Trout River, 0.3mi (0.5km) west of the junction of the Carr Sideroad and Rte 138. (45.043N/74.275W) Not to be confused with Trout River (NY), or the Trout River Customs which is 4mi (6.4km) to the south.
Trout River Lines
An old name for the customs and border crossing at Trout River (NY).
Trout River (NY)
The hamlet located at the Trout River Port of Entry. (44.991N/74.307W)
Trout River Port of Entry
The US Customs Port at Trout River (NY), border crossing. (44.992N/74.308W)
Trout River Post Office
The Trout River Post Office operated from 1858 until 1915. It was located at the Trout River hamlet in Godmanchester, not to be confused with Trout River Customs.
Trout River Settlement
The area in Godmanchester between the west side of the Trout River and the Beaver Creek, at the SW ends of the Fifth and Sixth Concession (Godmanchester). (45.02N/74.32W)
Trudel Post Office
The Trudel Post Office operated from 1912 until 1914. It was located somewhere in the St-Isidore-de-Laprairie district?.
Tullochgorum
The concession consisting of the Third Concession (Jamestown) and the Second and Third Concessions (South Georgetown) and the road between them. (45.14N/73.92W) The Jamestown end (now Ormstown) was called Upper Tullochgorum and the South Georgetown end (now Très-St-Sacrement) used to be called Lower Tullochgorum. The origin of the name is Gaelic meaning a "grassy meadow" which would be appropriate now but not necessarily at the time the concession was first opened. Local lore has a slightly different origin. When the road was first opened through the concession (c1850), the settlers had a party and when asked what the musicians should play, the host chose "Tullochgorum", a scottish strathspey (similar to a reel but slower). The tune is still quite popular with Celtic musicians. And so the road was named or so the locals say. The original reference to the road was "The Road leading from Howick Village to Hinchinbrooke".
Tullochgorum Post Office
The Tullochgorum Post Office operated from 1902 until 1915. It was located in a store on the St-Malachie (Ormstown) side of the junction of Tullochgorum Road and the Brysonville Sideroad.
Tullochgorum Road (Ormstown)
The section of Tullochgorum Road in St-Malachie Parish (now Ormstown Municipality) from the Brysonville Sideroad to Rte 201 is still named Tullochgorum Road or rather Chemin Tullochgorum. (45.130N/73.937W) In the old days, it was called Upper Tullochgorum.
Tullochgorum Road (Très-St-Sacrement)
The road running from Howick Village, SW between the Second and Third Concessions (South Georgetown). (45.167N/73.875W) Now called Rang 3 (Très-St-Sacrement). It was known as Lower Tullochgorum in the old days.
Tully's Bridge
A bridge across the Trout River located 0.4mi (0.6km) east of the junction of Rte 138 and White Sideroad. (45.031N/74.297W) It was named after the family who owned the farm on the Elgin Side of the bridge. The bridge is no longer in existence. It is shown on an 1881 map but without any connecting roads so it probably was inactive at that time.
Turcot('s) Bridge (Le Pont Turcot)
The old iron bridge across the Châteauguay River beside the Georgetown Church Cemetery. (45.198N/73.863W) It was one of the first riveted, metal truss, steel bridges erected in the region and it is now one of the last survivors of that design. It was named after the Turcot family, who had the right to install a toll bridge at that location during the 1800s. It is now closed and has been replaced with a new concrete bridge, a short distance to the north. The new bridge is called the Très-St-Sacrement Bridge.
Twin Bridges (Elgin)
The bridge across Oak Creek on the Third Concession (Elgin), near the Wattie and Paul Sideroads. (45.036N/74.221W)

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

return

Or return to the

Placenames Home Page


Copyright ©2001-7 Burton Lang Revised:2007/02/05