Local Genealogy Sources / Sources de Généalogie de la Région

D. FAMILY TREES / ARBRES GÉNÉALOGIQUES

Anderson - click here / cliquez ici


The Anderson ancestors of the Quebec Lower North Shore are believed to have originated from Scotland. Local tradition has them initially at St-Pierre, then owned by Newfoundland, in the early 1700s. They were most likely traders and fisherman. In the 1700s, France and England were at war. After years of fighting and various treaties, in 1763 the St-Pierre Islands (known today as St-Pierre-et-Micquelon) was succeeded to France. This lead to the expulsion of land owners and anyone loyal to England. It is believed that some of the Andersons from St-Pierre went to Burin and then to Burgeo, Newfoundland. Although it is not clear what their exact names were, in his 1925 diary, Joseph Small claims that the first settlers at Burgeo were Anderson. There were four brothers in Burgeo, presumably born there. William (1772-1775), Robert, Edward (1786) and Thomas (1796-1798). Robert moved to Otter's Point, Newfoundland; some of William's descendants settled at Harrington Harbour, Quebec and along the Quebec Lower North Shore; some of Edward's descendants settled at Harrington Harbour, Quebec and; Thomas and his descendants settled at Harrington Harbour and Kegaska, Quebec. All of the Andersons along the Lower North Shore of Quebec appear to be from these roots. The principle researchers for this name are Marc-AndréGosselin and Sharon Chubbs-Ransom.

Les ancêtres des Anderson de la Basse Côte Nord du Québec sont présumés originaire de l'Écosse.  La tradition locale les retrouvent initialement à St-Pierre, qui à cette époque appartenait à Terre-Neuve, au début des années 1700. Ils étaient probablement des commerçants et des pêcheurs. Dans les années 1700, la France et l’Angleterre étaient en guerre. Après plusieurs années de guerres et différents Traités, en 1763 les Îles St-Pierre (connu aujourd’hui sous le nom de St Pierre et Miquelon) étaient cédés à la France. Ceci mena à l’expulsion des propriétaires de terrains et ceux qui étaient loyaux à l’Angleterre. Il est à croire que certains Anderson de St-Pierre sont allés à Burin et par la suite à Burgeo, Terre-Neuve. Bien qu’il ne soit pas clair quels étaient leurs noms exacts, dans son journal de 1925, Joseph Small prétend que les premiers pionniers de Burgeo étaient des Anderson. Il y avait quatre frères à Burgeo, vraisemblablement nés à cet endroit. William (1772-1775), Robert, Edward (1786) et Thomas (1796-1798). Robert déménagea à Otter’s Point, Terre-Neuve, quelques descendants de William s’établirent à Harrington Harbour, Québec et le Long de la Basse Côte Nord du Québec, quelques-uns des descendants d’Edward déménagèrent à Harrington Harbour, Québec et Thomas et ses descendants s’établirent à Harrington Harbour et Kegaska, Québec. Tous les Anderson le long de la Basse Côte Nord du Québec semblent dérivés de ces racines. Les  principaux chercheurs pour ce nom sont Marc-André Gosselin et Sharon Chubbs-Ransom.
ANDERSON FAMILYTREE PICTURES / PHOTOS D'ARBRE GÉNÉALOGIQUE D'ANDERSON - click here / cliquez ici

Attwood
The census of 1861 shows Peter Attwood and family living at Middle Bay on the Quebec Lower North Shore. He gave his place of birth as Labrador although various other sources claim he was from England. He married Frances Keats of Salmon Bay. There is no indication of where they went when they left the Coast and there is no evidence of this name today in the area.

Baker

Bateman - click here / cliquez ici
John Bateman came to St. Augustine from Liverpool, England to work with the Hudson Bay Company. He married Alice Maurice of St. Augustine. John later went to work for the St. Lawrence Sea Product Company at La Tabatiere. As a result of his employment by St. Lawrence Sea Product this family moved to La Tabatiere in the summer months and back to their home in St. Augustine in the fall. There are descendants of this union in St. Augustine and La Tabatiere today. The principle researcher for this name is Wade Wellman.

Beaudoin - click here / cliquez ici
The principle researcher for this name is Wade Wellman.

Bellefleur

Belvin - click here / cliquez ici
The principle researcher for this name is Wade Wellman.

Bilodeau- click here / cliquez ici
The principle researcher for this name is Wade Wellman.

Blais

Bobbitt / Bobbett - click here / cliquez ici
The Bobbitt surname of Newfoundland and the Quebec Lower North Shore came from Sommerset, England in the early 1700s. There were two Matthews in the Hermitage Bay area. They were cousins and one was a little older then the other. One lived at Pass Island, married to Mary Kendall. The other, also married to a Mary (surname unknown) had at least two sons. They were: Thomas who moved to Rose Blanche and then to Mutton Bay, and; William who moved to Burgeo and then to Harrington Harbour. Thomas married Susanna Walters and it is their descendants who are in Mutton Bay today. William married twice in Burgeo. By his first wife Charlotte Matthews he had John. When Charlotte died he married Jane Hann. Around 1871 William, Jane and their family immigrated to Harrington Harbour, Quebec. Later his son, John, also moved his family to Harrington Harbour. The Bobbitts of the Lower North Shore descend from these families. The principle researchers for this name are Sharon Chubbs-Ransom and Marc-André Gosselin with notable input from Joan Perry and John Levi Touchings.

Le nom de famille Bobbitt de Terre-Neuve et de la Basse Côte Nord du Québec vient de Sommerset, Angleterre au début des années 1700. Il y avait deux Matthew dans la région d’Hermitage Bay. Ils étaient cousins et l'un d'entre eux était un peu plus âgé que l’autre. Un vivait à Pass Island, époux de Mary Kendall. L’autre, a aussi épousé une Mary (nom de famille inconnu) et a eu au moins deux fils. Ils étaient : Thomas, qui déménagea à Rose Blanche et par la suite à Baie des Moutons (Mutton Bay), Québec, et William, qui lui déménagea à Burgeo et par la suite à Harrington Harbour, Québec. Thomas épousa Suzanne Walters et ce sont leurs descendants qui demeurent à Baie des Moutons (Mutton Bay) aujourd’hui. William s'est marié deux fois à Burgeo. De sa première femme Charlotte Matthews il a eu John. Après le décès de Charlotte il épousa Jane Hann. Aux environs de 1871 Wiliam, Jane et leur famille immigrèrent à Harrington Harbour, Québec. Plus tard, son fils John, déménagea aussi à Harrington Harbour. Les Bobbitt de la Basse Côte Nord descendent de ces familles. Les principaux chercheurs pour ce nom sont Sharon Chubbs-Ransom et Marc-André Gosselin avec des données notables de Jean Perry et John Levi Touchings.
BOBBITT FAMILYTREE PICTURES / PHOTOS D'ARBRE GÉNÉALOGIQUE DE BOBBITT - click here / cliquez ici

Boland - click here / cliquez ici
The principle researcher for this name is Wade Wellman.

Bolger

Bourgeois

Brown

Buckle / Buckel - click here / cliquez ici
The Buckle name in Newfoundland and Labrador first appears on the Slade ledgers of 1750. They came from Christchurch, Hants County near Poole, England. John Buckle was agent for Slade at Battle Harbour while William, his brother, was sent to Belle Isle to hunt Arctic fox and other fur bearing animals. Their father, William, died at St. Margaret’s Bay, Newfoundland. There is no evidence to show that John married. William maried a girl, Watts, and from them the Buckles of Newfoundland, Labrador and the Quebec Lower North Shore descend. Bird’s ledger of 1840 shows the distribution of the Buckle men: James was at Bonne Esperance; John was at Belles Amour; Richard was at Brador; William was at Buckle’s Point, at Forteau and at La Tabatiere, and; Thomas was at Capstan Island. The principle researcher for this name is Sharon Chubbs-Ransom with notable input from Dr. Cyril Byrne, Kitty McLaughlan, Lloyd Buckle, Linda Buckle, Clara Buckle, Louisa Buckle-Flynn and David and Mary Rose.

Le nom Buckle de Terre-Neuve et Labardor apparaît premièrement dans les registres de Slade en 1750. Ils venaient de Christchurch, Comté de Hants près de Poole, Angleterre. John Buckle était un agent pour Slade à Battle Harbour pendant que William, son frère, était envoyé à Belle Isle pour chasser des renards Artique et autres animaux à fourrures. Leur père, William, est décédé à St-Margaret’s Bay, Terre-Neuve. Il n’y a aucune évidence indiquant que John s'est marié. William maria une fille dénommée Watts et de cette union descendent les Buckle de Terre-Neuve, Labrador et la Basse Côte Nord du Québec. Les régistres de Bird de 1840, montre la répartition des hommes Buckle : James était à Bonne Espérance; John à Belles Amour; Richard à Brador; William à Buckle’s Point, Forteau et La Tabatière; et Thomas à Capstan Island. La chercheuse principale pour ce nom est Sharon Chubbs-Ransom avec des données notables du Dr. Cyril Byrne, Kitty McLaughlan, Lloyd Buckle, Linda Buckle, Clara Buckle, Louisa Buckle-Flynn et David et Mary Rose.
BUCKLE FAMILYTREE PICTURES / PHOTOS D'ARBRE GÉNÉALOGIQUE DE BUCKLE - click here / cliquez ici

Buckland

Buffett / Buffitt - click here / cliquez ici
This is one of the English, St. Pierre  families said to have lost their property and been expelled when St. Pierre was succeeded to France by the Paris Treaty of 1763.  The patriarch whose name is thought to have been Benjamin is said to have been a sailor and an officer in the British Navy.  After St. Pierre, Benjamin  settled at Mosquito near present-day McCallum, Newfoundland. By 1865, a William Buffett was living at Rose Blanche.  He was born in 1841 and his father’s name was also William. He is the suspected son of William Buffett and Mary Marsden, but that has not been proven. William married Anne Bobbitt daughter of Thomas Bobbitt and Susanna Walters.  Around 1885, William, Thomas and their respective families  immigrated to Mutton Bay, on what was then known as the Canadian Labrador.  Although the line of the Buffitt name on the present day Quebec Lower North Shore has not been substantiated, it is believed that it originates from the Musquito, Newfoundland Buffett line. The principle researcher for this name is Sharon Chubbs-Ransom.

Celle-ci est une des familles anglaise de St-Pierre qui aurait perdue sa propriété et qui aurait été expulsée lorsque St-Pierre fut cédée à la France par un Traité de Paris en 1763.  Le patriarche dont le nom pourrait être Benjamin est cité d'avoir été un matelot et un officier dans la marine Britannique.  Après St-Pierre, Benjamin s'est établi à Mosquito près de ce que nous appelons aujourd'hui McCallum, Terre-Neuve.  Dès 1865, un William Buffett aurait vécu à Rose Blanche.  Il est né en 1841 et le nom de son père était aussi William. Il serait le présumé fils de William Buffett et Mary Masden, mais ceci n'a pas été prouvé.  William épousa Anne Bobbitt, fille de Thomas Bobbitt et Suzanna Walters. Vers 1885, William, Thomas et leurs familles respectives ont immigrés à Baie des Moutons (Mutton Bay), Québec, connu à cette époque comme étant le Labrador Canadien. Quoique le nom Buffitt de la lignée des descendants d'aujourd'hui de la Basse Côte Nord du Québec n’est pas confirmé, il est présumé être originaire de la lignée de Buffett de Mosquito, Terre-Neuve. Le chercheur principal de ce nom est Sharon Chubbs-Ransom.
BUFFITT FAMILYTREE PICTURES / PHOTOS D'ARBRE GÉNÉALOGIQUE DE BUFFITT – click here / cliquez ici

Burgess - click here / cliquez ici
The principle researcher for this name is Wade Wellman.

Bursey - click here / cliquez ici
The principle researcher for this name is Wade Wellman.

Burke / Bourke - click here / cliquez ici
Burke, or DeBurgo, is a very old family name. Burke is one of the original Norman families and had prominence in Irish history after their arrival in Ireland in 1179. De Burgo changed to Burke or Bourke on arrival in Ireland. Burke families continued to live in Ireland and prosper for the next six hundred years. The ancestors of the Burkes came to Newfoundland in the 1790's. Many of them came from county Cork. William Burke settled in St John’s, Newfoundland for a few years; he was in the fishing trade. He later moved his family to Conception Bay. The fishing towns in Conception Bay were doing very good in the cod industry. The seal fishery was also doing a great business in the early part of the 19th century. Patrick Burke the son of William Burke came to Flower's Cove from Conception Bay in the 1860's. He (Patrick) walked ashore from a sealing vessel that was trapped in the ice in Flower's Cove Harbour The Burke families living on the Quebec Lower North Shore descend from Patrick Burke who died in Flower's Cove in 1927. This introduction was kindly contributed by Brian Burke of Blanc Sablon. The principle researcher for this name is Sharon Chubbs-Ransom with notable input by Brian Burke.

Butt

Canning

Chevalier / Chevallier -click here / cliquez ici
There is little documented evidence to indicate from where this Chevaler line descends. There are at least two theories. The first is that Anne Chevalier came from the Channel Islands to Brador on the then Canadian Labrador with the Jersey traders and fish merchants. She went to work with the Lloyd Brothers who at that time owned St. Paul’s River. It is documented that Nathaniel Lloyd left his adopted son, Louis Chevalier son of Anne Chevalier, the St. Paul’s River Seigniory at his death. In Turks, “Quiet Adventures in North America”,  there is a reference to Chevalier on the  Labrador in the late 1700s.  The second theory and the one believed by some of the current day Chevalier family at St. Paul’s River is that Louis Chevalier was a descendant of Amador Godefroy of France. The King of France endowed Amador Godefroy with the title Chevalier de St. Paul of which the Community of St. Paul’s River takes it's name. Louis Owen Chevalier told Charles Townsend that “he had a Godefroy relative with the profession, taxidermist, who had travelled with Audubon to the Quebec Lower North Shore or Canadian Labrador”. It is accepted by some of the present day Chevalier family that Louis Chevalier came from Riviere de Loup or Trois Riviere to assist his relative, Godefroy, in the running of the St. Paul’s River Post. Louis was a “dashing young frenchman”, who around 1800 “wooed” and married a young shipwrecked English maiden named Mary Anne Vane. This young English girl was said to be the “natural” daughter of the Earl of Devon, 2nd Vicount William Courtnay of Powderham Castle, Exeter, Devon, England. She was also said to have been kin to Sir Harry Vane, Puritan Governor of Boston. In the 1891 Quebec census, Louis David Chevalier claimed to have been born in Quebec of  French descent. He was Church of England religion. No matter what theory you believe, the Chevalier name of the Quebec Lower North Shore descends from Louis Chevalier and Mary Anne Vane. Due to the marriages of two daughters, Mary Sophia to William Randall Jones and Mary Anne to Samuel Robertson,  many of the Quebec Lower North Shore populace descend from this couple. The principle researcher for this name is Sharon Chubbs-Ransom  with notable input from Marc-André Gosselin, Carolyn Robertson-Grant, Marilyn Chavalier-Thomas, Loretta Poole, Lilly Green, Linda Chevalier-Letto, Brenda Smith, Laurie and John Chevalier and Philip Chevalier.

Il y a très peu d’évidence documentée pour indiquer d’où vient cette lignée de Chevalier. Il y a au moins deux théories. La première est qu’Anne Chevalier est venue des îles Anglaise à Brador appelé à cette époque le Labrador Canadien, avec des commerçants et marchands de pêche de Jersey. Elle a travaillée pour les frères Lloyd qui possédaient à cette époque la rivière St-Paul. Il est documenté qu'à son décès, Nathaniel Lloyd légua à son fils adoptif, Louis Chevalier, fils d’Anne Chevalier, la Seigneurie de la Rivière St-Paul. Dans l’ouvrage de Turk, “Quiet Adventures in North America”, il y a  rréférence à un Chevalier dans le Labrador vers la fin des années 1700. La deuxième théorie et celle-ci crut par quelques-uns de la famille Chevalier de la Rivière St-Paul d’aujourd’hui, est que Louis Chevalier était un descendant d’Amador Godefroy de France. Le Roi de France dota à Amador Godefroy le titre de Chevalier de St-Paul d’où la communauté de St-Paul prend son nom. Louis Owen Chevalier raconta à Charles Townsend “qu’il avait un parent Godefroy qui exerçait la profession de taxidermiste, et qui a voyagé avec Audubon sur la Basse Côte Nord du Québec ou le Labrador Canadien”. Il est accepté par quelques-uns de la famille Chevalier d’aujourd’hui que Louis Chevalier venait de Rivière-du-Loup ou Trois-Rivières pour aider son parent, Godefroy, à opérer le poste de la Rivière St-Paul. Louis était un “jeune Français élégant”, qui vers 1800 courtisa et maria une jeune naufragée Anglaise nommée Mary Ann Vane. Il était dit que cette jeune Anglaise était la fille propre du Comte de Devon, 2ième Vicomte William Courtnay, du château de Powderham, Exeter, Devon, Angleterre. Il y a été aussi dit qu’elle aurait été parente avec le Sieur Henry Vane, Gouverneur Puritain de Boston. Dans le recensement de Québec de 1891, Louis Chevalier prétend être né au Québec de descendance Française. Il était de la religion d’Église d’Angleterre. Peu importe la théorie que vous croyez, le nom Chevalier de la Basse Côte Nord du Québec vient de Louis Chevalier et Mary Ann Vane. En raison des mariages de leurs deux filles, Mary Sophia à William Randall Jones et Mary Anne à Samuel Robertson, plusieurs gens de la Basse Côte Nord du Québec descendent de ces couples. La chercheuse principale pour ce nom est Sharon Chubbs-Ransom avec des données notables de Marc-André Gosselin, Carolyn Robertson-Grant, Marilyn Chevalier-Thomas, Loretta Poole, Lilly Green, Linda Chevalier-Letto, Brenda Smith, Laurie et John Chevalier et Philip Chevalier.
CHEVALIER FAMILYTREE PICTURES / PHOTOS D'ARBRE GÉNÉALOGIQUE DE CHEVALIER - click here / cliquez ici

Chislett - click here / cliquez ici
The Chislett surname of the Quebec Lower North Shore came originally from England to Newfoundland. It is believed that the first Chisletts entered Newfoundland via Trinity and settled probably in the Islington area. The North Shore Chislett ancestors lived at La Poile, Newfoundland. During the Newfoundland migrations of the early 1870s, John Chislett, along with several other families, (Benny Simms, Tommy McDonald, William Anderson and John Benjamin Cox) moved their families’ to the Harrington Harbour archepelago on the Quebec Lower North Shore (then called the Canadian Labrador). These families were all connected through intermarriage. They built their homes on the islands surrounding Harrington Harbour. In the winter months, some moved to houses on the mainland. The mainland provided better hunting, lots of wood for fuel and more shelter. There are descendants of the Chislett family living today at Harrington Harbour, Alymer Sound, Chevery and Kegaska.The principle researchers for this name are Sharon Chubbs-Ransom and Marc-André Gosselin.

Le nom Chislett de la Basse Côte Nord du Québec vient originairement de l’Angleterre à Terre-Neuve. Il est présumé que les premiers Chislett sont entrés à Terre-Neuve via Trinity et se sont établis probablement dans la région de Islington. Les ancêtres des Chislett de la Basse Côte Nord vivaient à La Poile, Terre-Neuve. Durant la migration Terre-Neuvienne au début des années 1870, John Chislett, avec plusieurs autres familles, (Benny Simms, Tommy McDonald, William Anderson and John Benjamin Cox) déménagèrent leurs familles à l’archipel d’Harrington Harbour sur la Basse Côte Nord du Québec (appelé à cette époque le Labrador Canadien). Ces familles étaient toutes connectées par le mariage entre les membres de différentes familles. Ils bâtirent leurs maisons dans les îles environnant Harrington Harbour. Durant les mois d’hiver, quelques-uns déménageaient dans des maisons sur la terre ferme. La terre ferme procurait une meilleure chasse, beaucoup de bois pour le chauffage et un abris. Il y a des descendants de la famille Chislett qui vivent aujourd’hui à Harrington Harbour, Aylmer Sound, Chevery et Kegaska. Les chercheurs principaux pour ce nom sont Sharon Chubbs-Ransom et Marc-André Gosselin.
CHISLETT FAMILYTREE PICTURES / PHOTOS D'ARBRE GÉNÉALOGIQUE DE CHISLETT - click here / cliquez ici

Chubbs / Chubb - click here / cliquez ici
The first appearance of the name in Newfoundland and Labrador is John Chubb at Labrador. John’s name appears on a 26 November 1730 letter of petition to the King of England on the affairs of the plantation and the injustices done by the then Admiral; he signed his name. There is no evidence he remained in Labrador. It is likely he returned to England and a century later his grandsons, Joseph and Charles, came out to Newfoundland and Labrador: Charles was a cooper in Battle Harbour; Joseph married Diana Oates of Carbonnear, at Harbour Grace in 1824 and moved to Spear Harbour (Seal Bight) Labrador. It is from them the present Chubbs of Newfoundland, Labrador and the Quebec Lower North Shore descend. The principle researcher for this name is Sharon Chubbs-Ransom with notable input from Marg McLaughlan,  Jason Curl and Scott Chubbs.

La première apparition de ce nom à Terre-Neuve et Labrador est John Chubb au Labrador. Le nom de John apparaît sur la lettre de pétition du 26 novembre 1730 adressée au roi d’Angleterre concernant les affaires de la plantation et les injustices faites par l’Admiral de cette époque ; il signa son nom. Il n’y a aucune évidence qu’il est demeuré au Labrador. Il est probable qu’il est retourné en Angleterre et un siècle plus tard ses petit-fils, Joseph et Charles, sont venu à Terre-Neuve et Labrador : Charles était un tonnelier à Battle Harbour, Joseph épousa Diana Oates de Carbonear, à Harbour Grace en 1824 et déménagea à Spear Harbour (Seal Bight) Labrador. Ce sont d’eux que descendent les Chubbs d’aujourd’hui de Terre-Neuve, Labrador et la Basse Côte Nord du Québec. La chercheuse principale pour ce nom est Sharon Chubbs-Ransom avec des données notables de Marg McLaughlan, Jason Curl et Scott Chubbs.
CHUBBS FAMILYTREE PICTURES / PHOTOS D'ARBRE GÉNÉALOGIQUE DE CHUBBS - click here / cliquez ici

Collard

Collier - click here / cliquez ici
The Collier surname of the Quebec Lower North Shore is connected to the South West Coast of Newfoundland. They migrated from the St. Albans area around 1900. They may have fished on the Lower North Shore then called the Labrador for years prior to actually moving. The summer that they arrived to stay they fished from Gros Isle, a large island off the coast of La Tabatiere. Three families, Collier, Willcott and Organ lived together on that island using a large crack in the rock covered with canvas for a shelter. They were all related. In the fall when the fishing ended, Charlie Collier and Agnes Allen moved their family to Red Bay. The Colliers of La Tabatiere descend from this couple. The principle researcher for this name is Sharon Chubbs-Ransom with notable input from Chuck Collier.

Le nom Collier de la Basse Côte Nord du Québec est connecté à la Côte Sud-ouest de Terre-neuve. Ils immigrèrent de la région d’Albans vers 1900. Ils ont peut-être pêchés sur la Basse Côte Nord et allèrent au Labrador pour plusieurs années avant de finalement déménager. L’été quand ils arrivèrent pour rester ils pêchèrent à la Grosse Île, une grande île au large de la côte de la Tabatière. Trois familles, Collier, Wilcott et Organ vécurent ensemble sur cette île utilisant une grande crevasse dans le rocher couverte d'une grande toile pour en faire un abri. Ils étaient tous parent. À l’automne quand la pêche était terminée, Charlie Collier et Agnes Allen déménagèrent leur famille à Baie Rouge. Les Collier de la Tabatière descendent de ce couple. Le chercheuse principale pour ce nom sont Sharon Chubbs-Ransom avec des données notables du Chuck Collier.

Collins

Conway

Cormier

Court - click here / cliquez ici
The Court surname appears in Newfoundland with James Court in the mid 1860s. The Court surname is not listed in Seary’s book, "Family Names of the Island of Newfoundland". Family tradition claims James originated from Wales. James married Harriett Anderson in 1869 in Channel, Port aux Basque. James Court fished for several summers at Yankee Harbour on the Quebec Lower North Shore (West of Chevery). He then moved to Perth, Ontario. Every summer he came to Kegaska to fish. His son, James William, married Hannah Bobbitt from Harrington Harbour. It is their descendants that are living at Kegaska today. The principle researcher for this name is Sharon Chubbs-Ransom with notable input from Uncle John Bobbitt Court and Thelma Jones-King.

Le nom Court apparaît à Terre-neuve avec James Court dans le milieu des années 1860. Le nom Court n’est pas inscrit dans le livre de Seary, “Family Names of the Island of Newfoundland”. La tradition familiale soutient que James serait originaire du Pays de Galles. James épousa Harriet Anderson en 1869 à Channel, Port aux Basque, Terre-Neuve.  James Court pêcha pendant plusieurs années à Yankee Harbour sur la Basse Côte Nord du Québec (Ouest de Chevery). Il déménagea par après à Perth, Ontario. Chaque été il venait à Kegaska pour pêcher. Son fils, James William, épousa Hannah Bobbitt d’Harrington Harbour. Ce sont leurs descendants qui vivent à Kegaska aujourd’hui. La chercheuse principale de ce nom est Sharon Chubbs-Ransom avec des données notables d’oncle John Bobbitt Court et Thelma Jones-King.
COURT FAMILYTREE PICTURES / PHOTOS D'ARBRE GÉNÉALOGIQUE DE COURT - click here / cliquez ici

Cox - click here / cliquez ici
The Cox name appears in Newfoundland as early as the mid 1600s with a Christopher Cox in Salvage. John Benjamin Cox and James Stephen Cox that immigrated to Harrington  on the Quebec Lower North Shore in 1870 / 1871 came from a long line of sea captains, merchants and traders. Their great grandfather was a colonel in the Newfoundland Regiment in St John's. They were a family who moved extensively. They are easily traced from Harbour Grace to St John's, and by 1835 they were setting up a business in Burgeo. John Benjamin's and James Stephen's father, Samuel, was a trader and their uncle, John Benjamin owned a business in Burgeo. John Benjamin and James Stephen are the patriarchs of the Cox name on the Lower North Shore. The principle researchers for this name are Sharon Chubbs-Ransom and Marc-André Gosselin, with notable input from Rev. Dawn Cox-Barrett.

Le nom Cox apparaît à Terre-Neuve dès le milieu des années 1600 avec un Christopher Cox à Salvage. John Benjamin Cox et James Stephen Cox qui immigra à Harrington Harbour sur la Basse Côte Nord du Québec en 1870/1871 venait d’une longue lignée de capitaines de mer, marchands et commerçants. Leur arrière-grand-père était un Colonel dans le Régiment de Terre-Neuve à St-John’s. Ils étaient une famille qui déménageaient fréquemment. Ils sont facilement retrouvable d’Harbour Grace à St-John’s, et à partir de 1835 ils possédaient un commerce à Burgeo. Le père de John Benjamin et James Stephen, Samuel, était un commerçant et leur oncle, John Benjamin possédait un commerce à Burgeo. John Benjamin et James Stephen sont les patriarches du nom Cox de la Basse Côte Nord. Les principaux chercheurs pour ce nom sont Sharon Chubbs-Ransom et Marc-André Gosselin, avec des données notables du Rév. Dawn Cox-Barrett.
COX FAMILYTREE PICTURES / PHOTOS D'ARBRE GÉNÉALOGIQUE DE COX - click here / cliquez ici

Crane

Cribb - click here / cliquez ici
The principle researcher for this name is Sharon Chubbs-Ransom.

Dennis

Dicker / Decker / Daker

Dobbin

Driscoll - click here / cliquez ici
Patrick Driscoll, son of John and Bridget Driscoll, was born in Ireland about 1826.  He came to the Quebec Lower North Shore in the mid 19th century to seek his fortune. What is unclear is if he passed through Newfoundland first or came directly from Ireland to the Coast. It is also unknown what company he came to work for. We know that he did work for Andrew Kennedy’s fishing operation and met and married his eldest daughter, Elizabeth. Elizabeth’s mother Catherine Wilshire was an Inuit from Labrador. From this union there were 11 children. In his will, Andrew Kennedy left to his two daughters and son-in-laws his fishery; "To my eldest daughter Eliza & her husband Patrick Driscoll I give the western side of Lac Salle fishery west of the present salmon house with all the craft usually employed in that portion together with the fishery known as Cocksippi with all the craft & appartenances thereto belonging and also the house at Goose Bay…" Patrick is the ancestor of all of the Driscolls on the Quebec Lower North Shore. The principle researcher for this name is Marc-André Gosselin.

Patrick Driscoll, fils de John et Bridget Driscoll, est né en Irlande vers 1826. Il venu à la basse Côte Nord du Québec dans le milieu du 19ième siècle en quête de sa fortune. Ce qui n’est pas clair est s’il passa à Terre-Neuve en premier ou si il est venu directement de l’Irlande à la Côte. Il est aussi inconnu pour qu’elle compagnie il est venu travailler. Nous savons qu’il a travaillé pour les opérations de pêche d’Andrew Kennedy et rencontra et épousa l’aînée de ses filles, Elizabeth. La mère d’Elizabeth, Catherine Wilshire était une Inuit du Labrador. De cette union il y a eu 11 enfants. Dans son testament, Andrew Kennedy légua à ses deux filles et gendres ses postes de pêche ; "À la plus vieille de mes filles Eliza & son mari Patrick Driscoll je donne la partie ouest de Lac Salle à l'ouest de la présente maison au saumon avec tous les matériaux utilisés habituellement pour ce métier ainsi que la pêcherie connue sous le nom de Cocksippi avec tous les matériaux et accessoires appartenant à celle-ci et en plus la maison à Goose Bay... " Patrick est l’ancêtre de tous les Driscoll de la Basse Côte Nord du Québec. Le chercheur principal pour ce nom est Marc-André Gosselin.

Drover

Dumaresq / Dumaresque - click here / cliquez ici
The Dumaresq name appears in Labrador in the early 1800s. James Dumaresq married Louise Bonenfant (Goodchild). Dumaresq came from the Channel Islands. He probably came out with one of the Jersey Fishing Firms. His son, James Dumaresq, lived with his family at L’Anse au Cotard. He married Melvina Lilly from Carbonnear, Newfoundland. Their descendants have spread throughout Newfoundland, Labrador, along the Quebec Lower North Shore and into other areas of Canada and the USA. The principle researcher for this name is Sharon Chubbs-Ransom with notable input from Kevin Dumaresq.

Le nom Dumaresq apparaît au Labrador au début des années 1800. James Dumaresq se maria à Louise Bonenfant (Goodchild). Dumaresq venait des îles Anglaise. Il est probablement venu avec une des firmes de pêche Jersayaise. Son fils, James Dumaresq, vivait avec sa famille à l’Anse au Cotard. Il maria Melvina Lilly de Carbonear, Terre-Neuve. Leurs descendants se sont propagés à travers Terre-Neuve, Labardor, le long de la Basse Côte Nord du Québec et autres parties du Canada et États-Unis. La rechercheuse principale pour ce nom est Sharon Chubbs-Ransom avec des données notables de Kevin Dumaresq.
DUMARESQ FAMILYTREE PICTURES / PHOTOS D'ARBRE GÉNÉALOGIQUE DE DUMARESQ - click here / cliquez ici

Dumas - click here / cliquez ici

Dunn

Etheridge

Evans

Fequet - click here / cliquez ici
The Fequet surname is of the Channel Islands. Peter Fequet b. 1790 in Jersey, Channel Islands is the first of that name on the Quebec Lower North Shore. In the 1861 census, he was 71 years old and living in the household of his son, Francois Samuel Fequet, and Josephine Robin of Old Fort. Francois also claimed to have been born in Jersey according to the census of that time. Josephine was the daughter of Daniel Robin, a Guernsey Channel Islander formerly of Gaspe, Quebec. There is no record of Peter’s wife although there is some suggestion that she may have been with the Fequet family in Gaspe prior to them settling on the Lower North Shore. The Fequet name of the North Shore descends from Peter.The principle researcher for this name is Sharon Chubbs-Ransom with notable input from Sam Fequet of Goose Bay, Labrador.
FEQUET FAMILYTREE PICTURES / PHOTOS D'ARBRE GÉNÉALOGIQUE DE FEQUET - click here / cliquez ici

Foreman - click here / cliquez ici
The principle researcher for this name is Sharon Chubbs-Ransom.

Fortier

Gallibois - click here / cliquez ici
The name Gallibois was originally Houël. The church records take us back to François Houël, who appears to have come from Normandy, France. François married Georgine Hyls around 1730 in Isle Royale, known today as Louisbourg, Nova Scotia. François’ parents are unknown; Georgine’s parents were from Strasbourg, Alsace. With time, the family name became Houël dit Gallibois. The name Houël was written in various ways: Ouëlle, Ouël, Wells. Why it was changed to include “dit Gallibois” is unclear. After years of war between France and England, England took procession of Louisbourg in 1758 and two years later destroyed the town. The French Louisbourg families were then deported - some to France and some to the Quebec City area (click here for the Louisbourg WebSite). The family, Houël dit Gallibois, went to Quebec City and later settled in Berthier-sur-Mer, Montmagny, Quebec. Although some of them married into seafaring families, farming seemed the way of life for most of them. François and Georgine’s children that influenced the settling of the Quebec Lower North Shore were Francois II and Marie. François II, married Elisabeth Dodier, daughter of Pierre Dodier (Pierre was hired 13 September 1741, along with other men, by Jean-Baptiste Paummereau et Guillaume Estèbes and Company to work at the Gros Mecatina Seal Fishery Post. It is fair to assume that the Labrador became a natural subject for François and Elisabeth’s children). Two of their sons, Étienne and André and  some of their greandchildren worked and eventually settled in Labrador. On Étienne’s side these include: Laurent (son) who married Marie Guillemette; Rose (daughter) who married Michel Blais; Rosalie (granddaughter) who married Léon Beaudoin. On André’s side these include: Jacques-André I (son) who married Marguerite Boulet; Jacques-André II (grandson) who married Henriette Mondina;  Joseph (grandson) who married Éléonore Lachance; Philomène (granddaughter) who married Daniel Mauger. Capt. P.E. Fortin’s census of 1852 shows Jacques-André I owning a fishery post in Havre aux Esquimau as early as 1841. Marie married François Quirouët. From this union was born Marguerite who in turn married a native of Boston, Thomas Goodchild. This name was sometimes translated to Bonenfant in the Catholic records. Marguerite and Thomas had four daughters: Marguerite who married Martin Parent; Marie Anne who married Louis Lessard; Marie Louise who married James Dumaresq; Geneviève who married Louis Guillaume Labadie. They are all ancestors of many families of the Quebec Lower North Shore today. The principle researcher for this name is Marc-André Gosselin.

Le nom Gallibois était originairement Houël. Les registres d’églises nous ramènent à François Houël, dont le nom semble venir de Normandie, France. François maria Georgine Hyls vers 1730 à Louisbourg, Isle Royale, connut aujourd’hui sous Louisbourg, Cape Breton, Nouvelle-Écosse. Quoique nous sachions que les parents de Georgine venaient de Strasbourg, Alsace, les parents de François ne sont pas connus. Après un certain temps le nom de famille Houël devint Houël dit Gallibois. Le nom Houël fut aussi écrit de différentes façons, Ouëlle, Ouël, Wells. Pourquoi il fut changé pour inclure Gallibois n’est pas clair. Après plusieurs années de guerre entre la France et L’Angleterre, une bataille décisive en 1758 fut gagnée par l’Angleterre qui lui permit de prendre possession de Louisbourg pour peut après détruire le village. Ses familles Française furent donc déportées. Quelques-unes sont allées en France, quelques-unes aux Etats Unies et d’autres à la ville de Québec et environs (cliquez ici pour le Site Web de Louisbourg). La famille Houël dit Gallibois recommença sa nouvelle vie à Berthier-sur-Mer dans le conté de Montmagny. Même si quelques-uns d’eux se maria dans des familles de navigateurs, l’agriculture semblait attirée la plupart. François II, le fils de François I et Georgine maria Elisabeth Dodier, fille de Pierre Dodier (Pierre fut engagé le 13 Septembre 1741, avec d’autres hommes, par Jean-Baptiste Paummereau et Guillaume Estèbes et Compagnie pour travailler au poste de pêche de loup marin du Gros Mecatina. Il est juste d’assumer que le Labrador devint un sujet naturel pour les enfants de François et Elisabeth). Deux de leurs fils, Étienne et André, eurent des enfants et petits-enfants qui allèrent travailler et pour éventuellement s’établir au Labrador. Du côté d’Étienne, Laurent maria Marie Guillemette, Rose maria Michel Blais et la petite-fille d’Étienne, Rosalie maria Léon Beaudoin. Du côté d’André I, ses petits-enfants, Marguerite maria Pierre Collard, André II maria Henriette Mondina, Joseph maria Éléonore Lachance et Philomène maria Daniel Monger. Il y eu un autre enfant de François I et Georgine, Marie, qui fut aussi responsable du peuplement de la Basse Côte Nord du Québec. Marie maria François Quirouët. De cette union naquit Marguerite, qui à son tour maria un natif de Boston, Massachusetts, Thomas Goodchild. Ce nom fut traduit par l’église Catholique à Bonenfant. De cette union naquirent quatre filles, Marguerite maria à Martin Parent, Marie-Anne maria Louis Lessard, Marie Louise maria James Dumaresq et Geneviève maria Louis Guillaume Labadie. Ils sont tous des ancêtres de plusieurs familles de la Basse Côte Nord du Québec d’aujourd’hui. Le chercheur principal pour ce nom est  Marc-André Gosselin.
 

Gallichan / Gallichon - click here / cliquez ici
The Gallichan name comes from the Channel Islands. According to Church documents, Joseph Gallichan, the first of that name, was from St. Helier’s Parish, Channel Islands. Although not married, he had two children by Elizabeth (Eliza) Dumaresq; she died in 1859. Joseph married Elizabeth Lilly and they moved to Lac Sale and Old Post near La Tabatiere some time after 1850. The present-day Gallichans descend from these unions. Joseph owned and operated a seal fishing post in both places as well as the summer cod fishery at Old Post. The principle researcher for this name is Sharon Chubbs-Ransom.

Le nom Gallichan vient de Channel Island.  Selon les documents de l’église, Joseph Gallichan, le premier de ce nom, venait de la paroisse de St-Hélier, des îles Anglaise. Quoiqu’il n’était pas marié, il eu deux enfants avec Elizabeth Dumaresq; elle décéda en 1859. Joseph épousa Elizabeth Lilly et déménagea à Lac Salle et Vieux Poste près de La Tabatière quelques temps après 1850. Les Gallichan d’aujourd’hui descendent de ces unions. Joseph possédait et opérait un poste de pêche de loup-marin aux deux endroits ainsi qu’une pêcherie à la morue durant l'été à Vieux Poste. La chercheuse principale pour ce nom est Sharon Chubbs-Ransom.
GALLICHAN FAMILYTREE PICTURES / PHOTOS D'ARBRE GÉNÉALOGIQUE DE GALLICHAN - click here / cliquez ici

Giguere

Goddard

Goodchild / Bonenfant - click here / cliquez ici
The principle researcher for this name is Marc-André Gosselin.

Gooseney / Grozney

Green

Griffin

Guillemette

Hackey / Hawkey

Hart

Hayward

Hobbs

Jenniss

Joncas

Jones - click here / cliquez ici
William Randall Jones (Captain), the ancestor of all the Jones’ of the Quebec Lower North Shore, was born in Liverpool, Nova Scotia on January 27, 1792. He was born into a seafaring family. His father was Captain Jacob Jones, a trader born in Massachusetts around 1750. His mother was Rebecca Cole, who came from a family that lived on the Cape Cod shore in Eastern Massachusetts for six generations (back to the early 1600’s). Rebecca and her family moved sometime later to Liverpool, Nova Scotia. Jacob and other family members also moved from New England to Liverpool, Nova Scotia. Jacob met and married Rebecca Cole in Liverpool on October 4, 1772 and had 10 children, including Randall. Randall (like his father) was attracted to the sea trade. The real turning point in Randall’s life came in 1817, when he purchased a seal fishery and trading post in Brador Bay from his brother-in-law Samuel Robertson. Around the same time, he married Mary Sophia Chevalier of St-Paul’s River (daughter of Louis Chevalier and Mary Ann Vane) and had 12 children; Louis Lloyd (1817), Samuel (1821), David (1822), William (1823), Edward (1826), Sophia Letitia (1828), Alfred Randal (1830), Caroline Emily (1831), Gilbert (1834), Henry John (1835), Victoria (1839), Albert (1842). The principle researchers for this name are Marc-André Gosselin and Sharon Chubbs-Ransom with notable input from Ron Jones and Antonio (Neil) Cormier.

William Randall Jones (capitaine), l’ancêtre de tous les Jones de la Basse Côte Nord du Québec, est né à Liverpool, Nouvelle-Écosse le 27 janvier 1792. Il venait d’une famille de navigateurs. Son père était Capitaine Jacob Jones, un commerçant né dans le Massachusetts vers 1750. Sa mère Rebecca Cole, venait d’une famille qui vivait sur les côtes de Cap Cod dans l’est du Massachusetts depuis six générations (au début des années 1600). Rebecca et sa famille ont déménagés par la suite à Liverpool, Nouvelle-Écosse. Jacob et d’autres membres de la famille ont aussi déménagés de la Nouvelle-Angleterre à Liverpool. Jacob a rencontré et a marié Rebecca Cole à Liverpool le 4 octobre 1772 et eurent 10 enfants, incluant Randall. Randall (comme son père) était attiré par le commerce maritime. Le vrai tournant de sa carrière fut en 1817, quand il acheta de son beau-frère Samuel Robertson un poste de pêche et d'échange de loup-marin à Baie de Brador. Au même temps environ, il épousa Mary Sophia Chevalier de la Rivière St-Paul (fille de Louis Chevalier et Mary Ann Vane) et ils ont eu 12 enfants; Louis Lloyd (1817), Samuel (1821), David (1822), William (1823), Edward (1826), Sophia Letitia (1828), Alfred Randal (1830), Caroline Emily (1831), Gilbert (1834), Henry John (1835), Victoria (1839), Albert (1842). Les chercheurs principaux pour ce nom sont Marc-André Gosselin et Sharon Chubbs-Ransom.
JONES FAMILYTREE PICTURES / PHOTOS D'ARBRE GÉNÉALOGIQUE DE JONES - click here / cliquez ici

Keats

Kennedy - click here / cliquez ici
According to family tradition the Kennedy name of the Lower North Shore came from Boston. A man named Kennedy came from Boston to the Labrador to work for the Lymburner Company. He jumped ship in Old Fort and eventually settled in St. Augustine. At this point there is no proof of this theory but it is very plausible. There is also the theory that this family is related to John Fitzgerald Kennedy from Massachusetts’ former president of the United States. This also has not been proven. One thing is for certain; this adventurer had at least two sons, Andrew and Mathias. Andrew married Catherine Wilshire, an Inuit of Labrador. Mathias married a French girl, Suzanne Legris dite Lépine from Quebec City (known as Lépine). Suzanne’s family was familiar with the north since her grand-father Édouard Berthelot was a "traveller to the north posts". Suzanne was a 2nd cousin to Martin Parent from L’Anse des Dunes (Blanc Sablon). Both brothers, Andrew and Mathias, appear to have had a harmonious relationship both in their private and business life. In Ferland’s account it is written (translated): “This respectable man, already at an advanced age, and his brother Matthew Kennedy live in the same house: the first one became catholic; the second one is still protestant. This does not affect the unity between the two brothers. They have always lived together and shared their chores and enterprises. The Sieur Andrew Kennedy being the oldest one was at the head of the business: they raised their families under the same roof, and never any clouds troubled the harmony that reigned between the two brothers. Their main occupations were fishing seals, salmon and hunting.”. They are the ancestors of the Kennedy name on the Lower North Shore. The principle researcher for this name is Marc-André Gosselin.

Selon la tradition familiale le nom Kennedy de la Basse Côte Nord viendrait de Boston. Un dénommé Kennedy serait venu de Boston au Labrador pour travailler pour la Compagnie Lymburner. Il aurait débarqué à Vieux Fort et éventuellement se serait établi à St-Augustin. Jusqu'à présent cette théorie n'est pas prouvée mais elle est très plausible. Il existe aussi une théorie que cette famille serait parente avec l’ancien Président Américain, John Fitzgerald Kennedy, de Massachusetts. Celle-ci aussi n’a pas été prouvée. Une chose est certaine, cet aventurier a eu au moins deux fils, Andrew et Mathias. Andrew épousa Catherine Wilshire, une Inuit du Labrador. Mathias épousa une Française, Suzanne Legris dite Lépine, de la ville de Québec (connue sous Lépine). La famille de Suzanne était familiaire au nord étant donné que son grand-père, Édouard Berthelot, était un "voyageur aux postes du nord". Suzanne était la 2ième cousine de Martin Parent de L’Anse des Dunes (Blanc Sablon). Les deux frères, Andrew et Mathias, semblent avoir eu une relation très harmonieuse, autant dans leurs vies privées qu’en affaires. Dans le récit de Ferland en 1859, il est écrit : “Cet homme respectable, déjà avancé en âge, et son frère Matthew Kennedy demeurent dans la même maison : le premier est devenu Catholique; le second est encore Protestant. L’union n’en règne pas moins entre les deux frères. Ils ont toujours vécu ensembles et ont partagés leurs travaux et leurs entreprises. Le Sieur Andrew Kennedy étant l’aîné était en tête des affaires; Ils ont élevés leurs familles sous le même toit, et jamais aucun nuage n’a troublé l’harmonie qui régnait entre les deux frères.  Leurs principales occupations étaient la pêche au loup-marin, au saumon et la chasse.’’ Ils sont les ancêtres du nom Kennedy sur la Basse Côte Nord. Le chercheur principal pour ce nom est Marc-André Gosselin.

Kenty

Kippen / Keeping - click here / cliquez ici
The Kippen surname at Kegaska on the Quebec Lower North Shore roots back to Newfoundland. The name appears to be of English origin. Benjamin Kippen (also spelled as Keeping) lived at Burnt Island, Newfoundland. Some of this family had relatives in Perth, Ontario. Hugh Kippen was born in Port aux Basque, Newfoundland. He married Emma Collins in Perth, Ontario in 1885. They immigrated to Kegaska, Quebec. It is from Hugh that the current-day Kippens of Kegaska descend. The principle researcher is Sharon Chubbs-Ransom with notable input from Jack Clarke.

Le nom Kippen de Kegaska de la Basse Côte Nord du Québec prend ses racines de Terre-Neuve. Le nom semble être d’origine Anglaise. Benjamin Kippen, (aussi appelé Keeping) vivait à Burnt Island, Terre-Neuve. Certains membres de cette famille avaient de la parenté à Perth, Ontario. Hugh Kippen naquit à Port aux Basque, Terre-Neuve. Il épousa Emma Collins à Perth, Ontario en 1885. Il immigra à Kegaska, Qc. C’est de Hugh que descendent les Kippen de Kegaska d’aujourd’hui. La chercheuse principale est Sharon Chubbs-Ransom avec des données notables de Jack Clarke.

Labadie - click here / cliquez ici
The first ancestor of the Labadie of the Quebec Lower North Shore to arrive in Canada was Jean Labadie from St-Roch, diocese of Bordeaux, Guyenne, France. He was the son of Pierre Labadie and Marie Lardi. Jean was a navigator and married Marie Angélique Larieux in Notre-Dame of Quebec. His son, Sieur Guillaume Labadie, didn’t seem to follow his footsteps since he is seen in the records as being a baker and merchant in Quebec City. However, his grandson, Guillaume Louis Labadie, born in 1800 in Quebec City, probably had it in his blood and decided to navigate north to fish. He was also known as a carpenter. He married one of Thomas Goodchild’s daughters, Geneviève Goodchild (born in 1807 in Pied Noir, Labrador) in 1827 in Quebec City but in their marriage certificate it is recorded that they were married earlier in Blanc Sablon, Labrador. Guillaume is recorded in Captain P.E. Fortin’s census of 1852 operating his father-in-law’s fishing post in L’Anse des Dunes (near Blanc Sablon) where he settled and where he was buried along with his wife Geneviève. Guillaume Louis "William" and Geneviève"Jane" had a large family and are the ancestors of all the Labadie and also many other families on the Lower North Shore. The principal researcher for this name is Marc-André Gosselin with notable input from Réal Doyle.

Le premier ancêtre des Labadie de la Basse Côte Nord du Québec à arriver au Canada était Jean Labadie de Saint-Roch, diocèse de Bordeaux, France. Il était le fils de Pierre Labadie et Marie Lardi. Jean était navigateur et maria Marie Angélique Larieux à Notre-Dame de Québec. Son fils Sieur Guillaume Labadie ne semble pas avoir suivit ses traces puisqu’il est vu dans des registres comme étant boulanger et marchand dans la ville de Québec. Cependant son petit-fils, Guillaume Louis Labadie, né en 1800 à Québec, l’avait probablement dans le sang et décida de naviguer au nord pour pêcher. Il était aussi connu comme charpentier Il maria une des filles de Thomas Goodchild, Geneviève Goodchild (née en 1807 à Pied Noir, Labrador) en 1827 à Québec mais il est dans ce registre de mariage qu’ils s’étaient mariés plus tôt à Blanc Sablon, Labrador. Il est retenu dans le recensement de 1852 du Capitaine P.E. Fortin, qu’il opérait le poste de pêche de son beau-père à L’Anse des Dunes (près de Blanc Sablon) où il s’établit et où il est enterré avec son épouse Geneviève. Guillaume Louis "William" et Geneviève "Jane" eurent une grande famille et sont les ancêtres de tous les Labadie et plusieurs autres familles de la Basse Côte Nord. Le chercheur principal pour ce nom est Marc-André Gosselin avec des données notables de Réal Doyle.

Lallo

Laundry

Lavallee- click here / cliquez ici
The principle researcher for this name is Wade Wellman.

Lawless

Le Greseley

Leon

Lessard - click here / cliquez ici
The principle researcher for this name is Marc-André Gosselin.

Letemplier

Letto / Litto / Litteau / Letteau - click here / cliquez ici
The Surname Litteau appeared on the Labrador in the Belle Isle Straits area around the 1850s. The name in the early Parish records was spell Litteau / Letteau but was later changed to Litto/Letto and today the spelling is Letto. Records at the Point Amour Lighthouse Museum suggests this surname is from the Channel Islands. In 1859, Peter Francis Letto married Mary Ann Cribb of Forteau. and evidence shows he was a permanent resident of L’Anse au Clair by that year. The Letto descendants of the Labrador and the Straits area of the Quebec Lower North Shore all descend from this union. The principle researcher for this name is Sharon Chubbs-Ransom with notable input from Floyd Letto.

Le surnom Litteau apparut au Labrador dans le détroit de Belle Isle vers 1850. Le nom dans ces premiers registres paroissien était épelé Litteau / Letteau mais a été changé pour Litto/Letto et aujourd’hui l’épellation est Letto. Les registres au Musée “Point Amour Lighthouse” suggère que ce nom vient des îles Anglaise. En 1859, Peter Francis Letto épousa Mary Ann Cribb de Forteau et des évidences démontrent qu’il était un résident permanent de L’Anse au Clair à partir de cette année. Les descendants Letto du Labrador et de la région du détroit de la Basse Côte Nord descendent tous de cette union. La chercheuse pour ce nom est Sharon Chubbs-Ransom avec des données notables de Floyd Letto.

Mallec

Mansbridge - click here / cliquez ici
This surname on the Quebec Lower North roots back to Hampshire, England. It is not known why or with whom George Mansbridge came to Canada. He immigrated to Quebec, Canada in 1846. In 1860 he was established at Mutton Bay, one of the earliest English settlers there. George married a French woman, Sophia Giguere (pronounced Gigger on the Coast). It is their Mansbridge descendants living at Mutton Bay and Kegaska to-day. The principle researcher for this name is Sharon Chubbs-Ransom.

Ce nom sur la Basse Côte Nord prend ses racines de Hampshire, Angleterre. Il n’est pas connu pourquoi ou avec qui George Mansbridge est venu au Canada. Il immigra au Québec, Canada en 1846. En 1860 il se serait établi à Baie des Moutons, un des premiers pionnier Anglais de cet endroit. George épousa une Canadienne Française, Sophie Giguère (prononcé Gigger sur la Côte). Ce sont leurs descendants Mansbridge qui vivent à Baie des Moutons et Kegaska aujourd’hui. La chercheuse principale pour ce nom est Sharon Chubbs-Ransom.

Marcoux

Martin

Mark

Maurice

McDonald

McKinnon - click here / cliquez ici
The principle researcher for this name is Wade Wellman.

Mercier

Mestanapeo

Mitchel

Monger / Mauger
MAUGER FAMILYTREE PICTURES / PHOTOS D'ARBRE GÉNÉALOGIQUE DE MAUGER - click here / cliquez ici

Morency

Nadeau - click here / cliquez ici
The first ancestor of the Lower North Shore Nadeau name to arrive in Canada was Jean-Baptiste Nadeau originating from Gué-de-Velluire, Vendée, France. He was the son of Jean Nadeau and Marie Raffel and was married to Marie Anne Dumont in October 30, 1696 in St-Jean I'ile d'Orléans, Quebec. One of his descendant, Joseph Nadeau, a farmer from Berthier-sur-mer and married to Émilie Proulx, saw three of his sons (Cyrille, Théophile and Napoléon) leave the farm and venture to the Lower North Shore. Cyrille was a fisherman and does not appear to have been married. Théophile married Marie-Anne Adèle Gaumond, a granddaughter of Samuel Robertson I. Théophile fished for many years at La Tabatierre before he returned to his roots in the 1880’s. Napoléon was also a fisherman but his fate was different. He met and married Mary Kennedy, one of the two daughters of Andrew Kennedy and Catherine Wilshire, an Inuit of the Labrador. In his will, Andrew Kennedy left to his two daughters and son-in-laws his fishery; "And to my youngest daughter Mary & her husband Napoléon Nadeau I give the eastern side of the Lac Salle fishery with all the craft usually employed in that portion; together with the fishery known as the Deprix with all the craft & appartenances hereto belonging…" Napoléon (commonly called Paul) is the anscestor of all the Nadeau of the Lower North Shore. The principle researcher for this name is Marc-André Gosselin.

Le premier ancêtre des Nadeau de la Basse Côte Nord du Québec à arriver au Canada fut Jean-Baptiste Nadeau originaire de Gué-de-Velluire, Vendée, France. Il était le fils de Jean Nadeau et Marie Raffel et maria Marie Anne Dumont le 30 Octobre 1691 à St-Jean, Île d’Orléans, Québec. Un de ses descendants, Joseph Nadeau, un fermier de Berthier-sur-Mer, marié à Émilie Proulx, vu trois de ses fils (Cyrille, Théophile et Napoléon) quitter la ferme pour s’aventurer vers la Basse Côte Nord. Cyrille était pêcheur et n’apparaît pas s’être marier. Théophile maria Anne Adèle Gaumont, une petite-fille de Samuel Robertson I. Théophile pêcha pendant plusieurs années à la Tabatière avant de retourner à ses racines dans les années 1880. Napoléon était aussi un pêcheur mais sa destinée fut différente. Il rencontra et maria Mary Kennedy, une des deux filles d’Andrew Kennedy et Catherine Wilshire, une Inuit du Labrador. Dans son testament, Andrew Kennedy laissa à ses deux filles et gendres ses postes de pêche; "Et à ma plus jeune de mes filles Mary et son mari Napoléon Nadeau je donnes la partie ouest de Lac Sallé avec tous les matériaux utilisés pour cette portion; ainsi que la pêcherie connue sous le nom de Deprix avec tous les matériaux et accessoires appartenant à celle-ci…" Napoléon (communément appelé Paul) est l’ancêtre de tous les Nadeau de la Basse Côte Nord du Québec. Le chercheur principal pour ce nom est Marc-André Gosselin.

Nash

O’Brien

Organ

Osborne - click here / cliquez ici
The Osborne surname of the Quebec Lower North Shore dates back to the early 1800s on the Southwest Coast of Newfoundland. Hutchinson’s Directory (1864-1865) shows Osbornes in both Margaree and Mouse Island near Port aux Basque, Newfoundland. In the 1870s, during one of the colonization schemes that Anticosti Island underwent, many Newfoundland families were enticed, by land offers and excellent fishing, to settle there. One such venture saw Edward Osborne (1844-1912) captain a schooner that carried several families from Port aux Basque to Anticosti Island. Edward was married to Margaret Whiting (sister to Jane Whiting who married John Stubbert (see the Stubbert family tree). Margaret and Jane were the daughters of Daniel Whiting and Jane Emberly of Burin, Newfoundland. During the Fox Bay deportation by the Canadian Government (late 1800s) members of this family were removed to Dauphin and Garland, Manitoba. Many died in a typhus or diphtheria outbreak. Edward and his family, leaving their dead relatives behind, managed to make their own way back to the Quebec Lower North Shore (in the early 1900s) where their descendants live today.The principle researcher for this name is Sharon Chubbs-Ransom with notable input from Amy Letto-Osborne and Rachel Osborne-Kfir.

Le nom Osborne de la Basse Côte Nord du Québec date du début des années 1800 sur la Côte Sud-Ouest de Terre-Neuve. Le répertoire d’Hutchinson (1864-1865) atteste la présence des Osborne dans Margaree ainsi que dans Mouse Island près de Port aux Basque, Terre-Neuve. Dans les années 1870, durant un des projets de colonisation que l’île d’Anticosti entreprit, plusieurs familles Terre-Neuviennes ont été séduites par des offres de terrains et l'excellente de la pêche, et se sont établies à cet endroit. Une telle entreprise a vu Edward Osborne (1844-1912) devenir le capitaine d’une goélette qui transportait plusieurs familles de Port aux Basque à l’île d’Anticosti. Edward épousa Margaret Whiting (sœur de Jane Whiting qui, elle, épousa John Stubbert (voyez l’arbre généalogique des Stubbert). Margaret et Jane étaient les filles de Daniel Whiting et Jane Embury de Burin, Terre-Neuve. Durant la déportation de Fox Bay par le Gouvernement Canadien (vers la fin des années 1800), des membres de cette famille ont été déplacés à Dauphin et Garland, Manitoba. Plusieurs sont décédés suite à une épidémie de typhus et diphtérie. Edward et sa famille, laissant leurs parentés décédés derrière eux, réussirent à revenir à la Basse Côte Nord du Québec (au début des années 1900) où leurs descendants vivent aujourd’hui. La chercheuse principale pour ce nom est Sharon Chubbs-Ranson avec des données notables d’Amy Letto-Osborne et Rachel Osborne-Kfir.
OSBORNE FAMILYTREE PICTURES / PHOTOS D'ARBRE GÉNÉALOGIQUE D'OCBORNE - click here / cliquez ici

Parent - click here / cliquez ici
The first ancestor of the Parent of the Quebec Lower North Shore to arrive to Canada is Pierre Parant from Mortagne, Perche, France. He was the son of André Parant and Marie Coudray. Pierre married Jeanne Badeau February 9, 1654 in Quebec City. One of his descendants, Martin Parent (born in 1778 in Quebec City) decided to try his luck and went up north fishing. Martin is recorded in Captain P.E. Fortin’s census of 1852 operating a fishing post in Pointe au Pot (near Blanc Sablon). Martin married Marguerite Goodchild, one of the Thomas Goodchild’s daughters. Martin was 2nd cousin to Susanne Legris dite Lépine married to Mathias Kennedy from St-Augustin, since Martin’s mother was Marguerite Legris. The name Parent coming from Martin is not present today on the Lower North Shore but descendants from this couple are known under the names of some Lavallée and Labadie. Martin was buried at L'Anse des Dunes, Labrador in 1865 and so was his wife Marguerite in 1870. The principal researcher for that name is Marc-André Gosselin.

Le premier ancêtre des Parent de la Basse Côte Nord du Québec à arriver au Canada est Pierre Parant de Mortagne, Perche, France. Il était le fils d’André Parant et Marie Coudray. Pierre maria Jeanne Badeau le 9 février 1654 à la ville de Québec. Un de ses descendants, Martin Parent (né en 1778 à la ville de Québec) décida de tenter da chance et d’aller au nord pour pêcher. Il est retenu dans le recensement de 1852 du Capitaine P.E. Fortin que Martin opérait un poste de pêche à Pointe au Pot (près de Blanc Sablon). Martin maria Marguerite Goodchild, une des filles de Thomas Goodchild. Martin était le 2ième cousin de Suzanne Legris dite Lépine mariée à Mathias Kennedy de St-Augustin, puisque la mère de Martin était Marguerite Legris. Le nom Parent provenant de Martin n’est plus présent aujourd’hui sur la Basse Côte Nord mais des descendants de ce couple sont connus sous les noms de Lavallée et Labadie. Martin fut enterré à L’Anse des Dunes, Labrador en 1865 et aussi son épouse Marguerite en 1870. Le chercheur principal pour ce nom est Marc-André Gosselin.

Parker

Peter

Pike

Purcell

Ransom / Ranson / Ransome - click here / cliquez ici
The patriarch for this Ransom family in Canada is Charles. He appears for the first time on records in Newfoundland in 1847 (Church Society Report, 1849). He arrived in Burgeo with the Jersey Room of the Channel Inlands. Family tradition claims the Ransom name originated in Devon , England, which is concurrent with the Keith Matthew name file (MUN). Charles married three times: first, to Eleanor Ann Anderson which resulted in a son Edward who in c. 1872 migrated to Harrington Harbour, Quebec; second, to Mary Ann Matthews (widow) which resulted in one son, Charles, and; third, to Elizabeth Anderson which resulted in 9 children. The descendants of these families spread across Canada and into the U.S.A. The principle researcher for this name is Sharon Chubbs-Ransom with notable input from James Ransome of Burnt Island, Newfoundland and Betty Jennings.

Le patriarche pour cette famille Ransom/Ranson/Ransome au Canada est Charles. Il apparaît pour la première fois en 1847 dans un régistre à Terre-Neuve (Church Society Report, 1849).  Il est arrivé à Burgeo avec le Jersey Room Des îles Anglo-Normandes. La tradition familiale prétend que le nom Ransom est originaire Devon, Angleterre, lequel concorde avec le fichier de nom de Keith Matthews (M.U.N.). Charles se maria trois fois : la 1ière fois à Eleanor Ann Anderson dont naissance d’un fils Edward qui en 1872 immigrait à Harrington Harbour, Québec. La 2ième fois à Mary Ann Matthews (veuve) dont  la naissance d’un fils, Charles, et, la 3ième fois à Elizabeth Anderson dont la naissance de 9 enfants. Les descendnats de ces familles s’étendent à travers le Canada et les États-Unis. La principale personne responsible des recherches de ce nom est Sharon Chubbs-Ransom et elle a recueillie des données remarquables de James Ransome de Burnt Island, Terre Neuve et Betty Jennings.
RANSOM FAMILYTREE PICTURES / PHOTOS D'ARBRE GÉNÉALOGIQUE DE RANSOM - click here / cliquez ici

Reid / Read / Reed
Although there were several Reid / Read / Reed families along the coast of the Quebec Lower North Shore in the late 1800, there is no evidence of this name today except in place names like Reid’s River and George Read’s Lake near La Tabatierre and Mutton Bay. There was at least another Reed family at Old Fort during  one of the 1800s census, but they, too, have gone today. Where they went and whether or not these families were all related is unknown.

Quoiqu’ils  avaient plusieurs  familles Reid/Read/Reed le long de la Côte Nord du Québec vers la fin des années 1800, ce nom n’est plus apparent excepté dans les toponymes tel que Rivière Reid et lac George Read près de La Tabatière et Baie des Moutons. Il y avait au moins une autre famille Reed à Vieux Fort durant un des recensement dans les années 1800, mais, eux aussi sont disparus aujourd’hui. Où sont-ils allés ou même est-ce que ces familles étaient parent, ceci est inconnu.

Remo
This surname is no longer evident at Harrington Harbour on the Quebec Lower North Shore. The Remo name was there in the latter 1800s and early 1900s with the arrival of two brothers from Burgeo / La Poile, Newfoundland. They were Joseph “Joe” and William “Billy” Remo. Joseph was married to Sarah “Sally” Swift but Billy never married. Neither Joe or Billy had any family of their own. Uncle Joe had lost an arm in an accident prior to coming to Harrington. He rowed his fishing boat using a whiff and one long oar which he used in a sculling fashion. With the stump of his arm and the oar through the whiff he could dip, rotate and pull the oar through the water thus maneuvering his boat. When Fred Chislett asked Uncle Joe Remo once why he came to Harrington from Newfoundland this was his answer. “Me son”,  said Uncle Joe, “I come to get the part of the Lard’s prayer that I never got in Newfoundland - me daily bread”. Rather a thought provoking statement when you ponder how and what it took for these people to survive! Joe and his wife Sarah and Billy are all buried in the Harrington Cemetery. The name is gone but many of the older people still remember Joe and Billy Remo. The principle researcher for this name is Sharon Chubbs-Ransom.

Ce nom n’est plus présent aujourd’hui à Harrington Harbour sur la Basse Côte Nord du Québec. Le nom Remo était là vers la fin des années 1800 et au début des années 1900 avec l’arrivée de deux frères de Burgeo/La Poile, Terre-neuve. Ils étaient Joseph "Joe" et William "Billy" Remo. Joseph était marié à Sarah "Sally" Swift mais Billy ne s’était jamais marié. Ni Joe ou Billy ont eu leur propre famille. Oncle Joe avait perdu un bras dans un accident avant d’arriver à Harrington Harbour. Il ramait son bateau de pêche utilisant une corde tissée en forme d’anneau et un aviron long qui utilisait pour ramer habilement. Avec le moignon de son bras et la rame à travers de cet anneau il pouvait descendre, pivoter et tirer celle-ci à travers l’eau en manoeuvrant ainsi son bateau. Quand Fred Chislett demanda Oncle Joe pourquoi il était venu à Harrington Harbour de Terre-neuve ceci fut sa réponse. “Mon garçon”, dit oncle Joe, “Je vient chercher une partie de la prière de notre Seigneur – mon pain de ce jour”. Plutôt une pensée provocante quand vous considérez comment et qu’est-ce que ceci nécessitait pour ces gens à survivre! Joe et son épouse Sarah et Billy sont tous enterrés dans le cimetière d’Harrington. Le nom est disparu mais plusieurs des personnes âgées se souviennent de Joe et Billy Remo.

Roberts

Robertson - click here / cliquez ici
Samuel Robertson is said to have arrived in Canada in the early 1800s with his brother John from Stromness, Orkney Islands, Scotland. John is said to have later returned to Scotland. Samuel married: (1) Irene Boulay / Boule / Boulet and (2) Mary “Anne” Chevalier.  Samuel was associated with Lymburner brothers' The New Labrador Company. Samuel came to Labrador about 1815 as an agent for this Company. This Company went bankrupt about 1820. He came to own the Posts at Brador Bay, La Tabatiere and St. Augustine - according to some sources as "reward of loyalty" from his employer. He sold the Brador Post to Randall Jones whose wife, Sophia Chevalier, was Samuel's sister-in-law. Samuel moved to La Tabatiere, then called Sparr Point; La Tabatiere at one time was also known as St. Samuel de la Tabatiere. The St. Augustine Post was sold to the Hudson Bay Company in the late 1860s  by Samuel John Robertson son of Samuel I . When asked by Audubon why he chose to live where he did, Samuel answered, "what more could I want - I own everything as far as the eye can see". Samuel and Anne raised seven children. One of Samuel's and Anne's sons, Samuel John, would later marry his first cousin Sophia Letiticia, daughter of Randall Jones and Sophia Chevalier, further extending the union of three of the most prominent families of that era. The principle researchers for this name are Sharon Chubbs-Ransom and Carolyn Robertson-Grant with notable input from Marc-André Gosselin, Huguette Breault-Mahieux, Daren B. Robertson, Samuel Robertson, Russell Robertson, William "Bill" Robertson (B.C.), Heather McInnis and Dwight Robertson.

Il est dit que Samuel Robertson arriva au Canada de Stromness, des îles Orkney, Écosse au début des années 1800 avec son frère John. Il est aussi dit que John serait retourné en Écosse. Samuel épousa en premier  Irène Boulay / Boulé / Boulet et en second Mary “Anne” Chevalier. Samuel était associé avec les frères Lymburner de “The New Labrador Company”. Samuel est venu au Labrador vers 1815 à titre d'agent pour cette compagnie. Cette compagnie a fait faillite vers 1820. Selon certaines sources d'informations, il a acquit de ces employeurs les postes de Baie de Brador, La Tabatière et St-Augustin  en gage de « récompense pour sa loyauté». Il a vendu le poste de Brador à Randall Jones duquel sa femme, Sophia Chevalier, était la belle-sœur de Samuel. Samuel déménagea à La Tabatière, appelé à l’époque Sparr Point ; La Tabatière a déjà été connue sous le nom de St-Samuel de La Tabatière. Le poste de St-Augustin a été vendu à la Compagnie Baie d’Hudson vers la fin des années 1860 par Samuel John Robertson fils de Samuel I. Lorsque Audubon lui a demandé pourquoi il avait choisit de vivre à cet endroit, Samuel lui a répondu, “Que puis-je vouloir de plus – je possède tout jusqu'à perte de vue. » Samuel et Anne ont élevé sept enfants. Un des fils de Samuel et Anne, Samuel John, épousa plus tard sa cousine germaine Sophia Leticia, fille de Randall Jones et Sophia Chevalier, prolongeant d'avantage l’union des trois familles les plus proéminentes de la région. Les chercheuses principales pour ce nom sont Sharon Chubbs-Ransom et Carolyn Robertson Grant avec des données notables de Marc-André Gosselin, Huguette Breault-Mahieux, Daren B. Robertson, Samuel Robertson, Russell Robertson, William "Bill" Robertson (B.C.), Heather McInnis et Dwight Robertson.
ROBERTSON FAMILYTREE PICTURES / PHOTOS D'ARBRE GÉNÉALOGIQUE DE ROBERTSON - click here / cliquez ici

Robin

Rogers
ROGERS FAMILYTREE PICTURES / PHOTOS D'ARBRE GÉNÉALOGIQUE DE ROGERS – click here / cliquez ici

Rowsell - click here / cliquez ici
The Rowsell surname arrived on the Quebec Lower North Shore with the family of John Mountain Rowsell about 1894. He was the second son of Edward Rowsell and Anne Lily of Pushthrough, Newfoundland.. The Rowsell family lived in different places around the Harrington archipelago. They first lived at Mecatina and Alymer Sound. Their fishing premises was at Mecatina. Later the Rowsell home was on Harrington Island near Oliver’s Point. From there, most of the family married and moved to homes of their own. “Ned” Rowsell son of John moved the home down to “Point of the Island” on Harrington Island away from the main community. The Rowsell’s of the Lower North Shore are descended from John. The principle researcher for this name is Sharon Chubbs-Ransom with notable input from John Rowsell and Roy Rowsell (NFLD).

Le nom Rowsell apparût sur la Basse Côte Nord du Québec avec la famille de John Mountain Rowsell vers 1894. Il était le deuxième fils d’Edward Rowsell et Anne Lilly de Pushthrough, Terre-Neuve. La famille Rowsell vécut à différents endroits aux alentours de l’archipel d’Harrington. Ils ont d'abord vécu à Mecatina et Aylmer Sound. Leurs locaux de pêche était à Mecatina. Plus tard la demeure des Rowsell fut sur l’île d’Harrington près d’Oliver’s Point. De là, la plupart des membres de la famille se sont marié et ont déménagé dans leurs propres maisons. “Ned” Rowsell, fils de John, déménagea sa maison à la “Pointe de l’île” sur l’île d’Harrington loin de la communauté. Les Rowsell de la Basse Côte Nord sont descendants de John. La chercheuse principale pour ce nom est Sharon Chubbs-Ransom avec des données notables de John Rowsell et Roy Rowsell (TN).

Shattler - click here / cliquez ici
The principle researcher for this name is Wade Wellman.

Simms
SIMMS FAMILYTREE PICTURES / PHOTOS D'ARBRE GÉNÉALOGIQUE DE SIMMS - click here / cliquez ici

Sinnicks

Smith

Spingle / Spicknell - click here / cliquez ici
The Spingle Surname of the Quebec Lower North Shore descends from James SPICKNELL (1826 – 1881) who came from England to the Greenspond area of Newfoundland sometime prior to his marriage there in 1843. The SPICKNELL family lived at Cape Cove (Middle Bill Cove), Cape Freels; moved to Cold Harbour near Wesleyville, Bonavista Bay as did a number of others in the family; moved to Bonne Bay about 1869 with a number of HANN relatives who still live there today. SPINGLE became prevalent after the family migrated from Bonne Bay, Newfoundland to the Lower North Shore of Quebec. The Spingle surname of St. Paul’s River  descend from George Spingle and Lydia Nother. The principle researcher for this name is Sharon Chubbs-Ransom with notable input from Alexander "Sandy" Payne.

Le nom Spingle de la Basse Côte Nord du Québec vient de James SPICKNELL (1826-1881) qui était venu d’Angleterre dans la région de Greens pond, Terre-neuve quelque temps avant son mariage en 1843. La famille Spiknelle vivait à Cape Cove (Middle Bill Cove), Cape Freels; déménagea à Cold Harbour près de Wesleyville, Bonavista comme ont fait un nombre de familles; déménagea ensuite à Bonne Bay vers 1869 avec un nombre de familles HANN qui vivent encore là aujourd’hui. Spingle devenu prédominent après que la famille immigra de Bonne Bay, Terre-neuve à la Basse Côte Nord du Québec. Le nom Spingle de la Rivière St-Paul descend de George Spingle et Lydia Nother. Le chercheur principal pour ce nom est Sharon Chubbs-Ransom avec des données notables d’Alexander "Sandy" Payne.

Strickland - click here / cliquez ici
The principle researcher for this name is Sharon Chubbs-Ransom.

Stubbert - click here / cliquez ici
This family name of the Quebec Lower North Shore originates with Matthew Stubbert of Durham, England. Matthew arrived in Sydney, Cape Breton around 1785. He married Esther McCready in Sydney in 1795. John Stubbert a grandson of Matthew, was telegraph operator at Fox Bay, Anticosti Island. We are not sure whether he met his wife and married on Anticosti or else-where but most of their children were born and baptized there. His wife, Jane Willis Whiting, was sister to Margaret Emberly Whiting who married Edward Osborne. They were the daughters of Daniel Whiting and Jane Emberly of Burin, Newfoundland. They all lived on Anticosti Island. John Stubbert was jailed during the Fox Bay settlers dispute with Menier for running-off a Quebec magistrate with a shotgun during the deportation of the Fox Bay settlers. They were deported and John and Jane died in Souris, Prince Edward Island. Several of John’s sons moved their families to Kegaska and the surrounding area on the Quebec Lower North Shore. Some of their descendants still live there today. The principle researcher for this name is Sharon Chubbs-Ransom with notable input from Marie Cheverie-Francis.

Ce nom de famille de la Basse Côte Nord du Québec vient de Matthew Stubbert de Durham, Angleterre. Matthew arriva à Sydney, Cape Breton vers 1785. Il maria Esther McCready à Sydney en 1795. John Stubbert un petit-fils de Matthew, était un télégraphiste à Fox Bay, île d’Anticosti. Nous ne sommes pas certain s’il a rencontré et marié sa femme à Anticosti ou ailleurs mais la plupart de leurs enfants seraient nés et baptisés à cet endroit. Son épouse, Jane Willis Whiting, était la sœur de Margaret Emberly Whiting qui était mariée à Edward Osborne. Elles étaient les filles de Daniel Whiting et Jane Emberly de Burin, Terre-Neuve. Ils vivaient tous à l’île d’Anticosti. John Stubbert a été emprisonné durant la dispute des colons avec Menier pour avoir expulsé un magistrat de Québec à la pointe d'un fusil durant la déportation des colons de Fox Bay. Ils ont été déportés et John et Jane sont décédés à Souris, Île du Prince Édouard. Plusieurs des fils de John déménagèrent à Kegaska et les environs sur la Basse Côte Nord du Québec. Quelques-uns de leurs descendants vivent à cet endroit aujourd’hui. La chercheuse principale pour ce nom est Sharon Chubbs-Ransom avec des données notables de Marie Cheverie-Francis.

Surrett

Swift

Tapper

Thomas

Tucker

Vatcher - click here / cliquez ici
The principle researcher for this name is Sharon Chubbs-Ransom with notable input from Les Winsor and Phil Vatcher.

Walsh

Way / Waye - click here / cliquez ici
The first Way to appear in Newfoundland shows up in the Bonavista Parish Records in the late 1700s. Some time later, a John Way moved to Catelina and married a Mary Templeman. It was their son, John, who moved to French Island Harbour (Flower’s Cove) on the Northern Penninsula and married Mary Coles. He was recorded as a fisherman and teacher. The first Way on the Quebec Coast was Mary Way, locally called "Polly". She went to Harrington Harbour to catch the steamer to go to Quebec. She stayed at the house of Frederick Jones, the mail carrier. She never did take the steamer but met William Bobbitt and sometime later married him. Her family followed her to Harrington Harbour from Flower’s Cove - her parents, Samuel Way (son of John) and Caroline Penny and other siblings. Several Waye girls, also descendants from the John Way, who lived at Flower’s Cove, married Dumaresq men in L’Anse au Clair, Labrador. The principle researcher for this name is Sharon Chubbs-Ransom with notable input from Helen Ward.

Le premier Way à apparaître à Terre-Neuve est retrouvé dans les registres de la paroisse de Bonavista vers la fin des années 1700. Un peu plus tard, un John Way déménagea à Catelina et maria une Mary Templeman. C'est leur fils, John, qui aurait déménagé à French Island Harbour (Flower’s Cove) sur la Péninsule Nord et maria Mary Coles. Selon les registres il était un pêcheur et un enseignant. Le premier Way sur la Côte du Québec était Mary Way, connue dans la région sous le nom de “Polly”. Elle s'est rendu à Harrington Harbour prendre le bateau à vapeur pour aller à Québec. Elle demeura à la maison de Frederick Jones, le postier. Elle n'a pris jamais le bateau à vapeur mais rencontra William Bobbitt et quelques temps plus tard le maria. Sa famille l'aurait suivie de Flowers Cove à Harrington Harbour – ses parents, Samuel Way (fils de John) et Caroline Penny et d'autres membres de la famille. Plusieurs filles Way, aussi descendantes de John Way, qui auraient vécu à Flower’s Cove, ont marié des Dumaresq de L’Anse au Clair, Labrador. La chercheuse principale pour ce nom est Sharon Chubbs-Ransom avec des données notables d’Helen Ward.

Wellman - click here / cliquez ici
The principle researcher for this name is Wade Wellman.

Whiteley - click here / cliquez ici
The Whiteley surname on the Labrador and Quebec Lower North Shore originated in England. William Henry Whiteley was an inventor and although it is not clear how he met Ann Marie Kelson from Labrador, they met and married.  They lived in Boston and resided there until the tragedy of William’s death. in 1846. Ann Marie then moved with her five children to Belles Amour, Labrador to be near her sister, Frances, who was  married to John Buckle. There, she met James Buckle, brother to John, and they married. In 1855, one of her children, William Henry II, at age 21 went to work with his stepfather James Buckle at Bonne Esperance, Labrador. On a trip to London England to secure his inheritance, he met his future bride Louisa Ann Thompson. They married in 1859 and  soon after settled at Bonne Esperance an Island off the mouth of St. Paul’s River. There William Henry Whiteley, affectionately called “Bossy” by his wife, built a fishing establishment that revolutionized the fishing industry. The Whiteley name has not survived on the Coast but the intermarriage with the families of  Buckle, Chevalier and Robertson has left descendants. The principle researcher for this name is Sharon Chubbs-Ransom.

Le nom Whiteley au Labrador et sur la Basse Côte Nord est originaire de l’Angleterre. William Henry Whiteley était un inventeur et malgré qu'il est incertain comment il a rencontré Ann Marie Kelson du Labrador, ils se sont rencontré et se sont marié. Ils ont vécu à Boston et y sont demeuré jusqu’à la tragique  mort de William en 1846. Par la suite Ann Marie a déménagé avec ses cinq enfants à Belles Amour, Labrador pour être plus près de sa sœur, Frances, qui était mariée à John Buckle. À cet endroit, elle a rencontrer James Buckle, frère de John, et se maria. En 1855, un de leurs enfants, William Henry II, âgé de 21 ans est allé travailler avec son beau-père James Buckle à Bonne Espérance, Labrador. Lors d'un voyage à Londres, Angleterre, pour assurer ses droits de succession, il a rencontré sa future épouse Louisa Thompson. Ils se sont marié en 1859 et peu après ils se sont établi à Bonne Espérance, une île à l’embouchure de la Rivière St-Paul. À cet endroit, William Henry Whiteley, affectueusement nommé “Bossy” par son épouse, bâtit un établissement de pêche qui révolutionna l’industrie de la pêche. Le nom Whiteley n’a pas survécu sur la Côte mais les mariages consanguins avec les familles Buckle, Chevalier et Robertson ont laisser des descendants. La chercheuse principale pour ce nom est Sharon Chubbs-Ransom.
BONNE ESPÉRANCE PICTURES /  PHOTOS DE BONNE ESPÉRANCE – click here / cliquez ici
WHITELEY FAMILYTREE PICTURES / PHOTOS D'ARBRE GÉNÉALOGIQUE DE WHITELEY - click here / cliquez ici

Willcott / Willcot - click here / cliquez ici
Around 1900, the first Willcott family arrived on the Quebec Lower North Shore. Joseph John Willcott and his wife Susanna Allen with their family of at least six children arrived with a Collier family and an Organ family. They were all related and came from the area of St. Albans, Newfoundland. The first summer these families came, they fished from a large island off the coast of La Tabatiere called Gros Isle. They survived creating a shelter by covering a large crack in the cliff with canvas and sodding the ends to create a space to live. That fall when the fishing was over, they moved their families to Red Bay and built winter houses. This family of Joseph Willcott and Susanna Allen are the ancestors of today’s Willcotts in La Tabatierre / Red Bay. They had large families and the Willcott surname is a prominent one today in the area. The principle researcher for this name is Sharon Chubbs-Ransom.

Vers 1900, la première famille Wilcott arriva sur la Basse Côte Nord du Québec. Joseph John Wilcott et son épouse Susanna Allen avec leur famille d’au moins six enfants arrivèrent avec une famille Collier et une famille Organ. Il étaient tous parent et venaient de la région d’Albans, Terre-neuve. Le premier été que ces familles vinrent il pêcha à partir d’une grande île au large de la côte de La Tabatière appelée Grosse Isle. Ils survécurent en créant un abri en couvrant une grande crevasse dans le rocher avec une grande toile et bouchant les bouts avec des mottes de terre pour en faire une espace pour y vivre. À l’automne quand la pêche fut terminée, ils déménagea à Baie Rouge et bâtirent des maisons pour l’hiver. LA famille de Joseph Wilcott et Susanna Allen sont les ancêtres des Wilcott d’aujourd’hui à La Tabatière/Baie Rouge. Ils eurent de grandes familles et le nom Wilcott est encore prénominent aujourd’hui dans la région. La chercheuse principale pour ce nom est Sharon Chubbs-Ransom.
WILLCOTT FAMILYTREE PICTURES / PHOTOS D'ARBRE GÉNÉALOGIQUE DE WILLCOTT - click here / cliquez ici

Woodland

Yarn - click here / cliquez ici
This surname appeared on the Quebec Lower North Shore about 1895. John Yarn was a single man and arrived with Robert “Bob” Rogers and family from Rose Blanche, Newfoundland and settled at Mutton Bay. In 1897 John Yarn married Grace Rogers. It is not certain when they moved to Red Bay near La Tabatiere. The name has never populated to more then a couple families but the descendants of this couple still live in La Tabatiere and Chevery today. The principle researcher for this name is Sharon Chubbs-Ransom.

Ce nom apparaît sur la Basse Côte Nord du Québec vers 1895. John Yarn était célibataire et arriva avec Robert (Bob) et sa famille de Rose Blanche, Terre-Neuve et s’établit à Baie des Moutons. En 1897 John Yarn épousa Grace Rogers. Le date où ils auraient déménagé à Baie Rouge près de La Tabatière demeure incertaine. La population portant ce nom n'a jamais dépassée  plus que  deux familles mais les descendants de ce couple vivent encore à La Tabatière et Chevery aujourd’hui. La chercheuse principale de ce nom est Sharon Chubbs-Ransom.
 
 

Date Entered on Web Site: 04 February2002
Date Updated: 08 February 2002; 10 February 2002; 08 March 2002, 17 March 2002, 25 March 2002, 26 March 2002, 29 March 2002, 31 March 2002, 07 April 2002, 20 April 2002, 29 April 2002, 05 May 2002, 12 May 2002, 07 July 2002, 08 September 2002, 10 September 2002, 28 September 2002, 01 October 2002, 06 October 2002, 06 November 2002, 03 January 2003, 25 March 2005, 25 April 2005