St. Gabriel Street Presbyterian
Church, Montreal, was founded in 1786 and the first building was
erected in 1792 on the southwest corner of Champs de Mars.
ST. GABRIEL STREET
The first Presbyterian Church in Montreal
congregation divided in 1803 over a decision on whom to call as minister
and the dissident minority, who prefered to be connected with an American
Presbytery rather than the Church of Scotland, formed St.
Peter's Street Church congregation, re-named St.
Andrew's Presbyterian Church in 1824. In 1831 another group
withdrew from St. Gabriel's to form
Paul's Presbyterian Church. In 1844 at the disruption, the majority
supported the Free Church but the property was disputed and the Free Church
majority erected a separate building, which became Cote
Street Free Church.
Back to the homepage
Questions, Comments or Suggestions?
coordinator of the MontréalGenWeb
In 1875 St. Gabriel Street congregation
entered the Presbyterian Church in Canada. In 1886, the building on St.
Gabriel street was expropriated by the Quebec government for the Montreal
Court House. In 1887, the church building was acquired by the Presbytery
of Quebec and the congregation moved to a building on St. Catherine Street.
In 1909 the congregation amalgamated with
Presbyterian Church, taking the name
Presbyterian Church, and a new church
was built at the northwest corner of Jean Manse and Prince Arthur. In
1984, First Presbyterian was amalgamated with
Presbyterian Church to
form Knox Crescent
Kensington and First Presbyterian Church.
St. Gabriel Street Church building
list of subscrbers 1791-1792
A History of the Scotch Presbyterian Church, St. Gabriel Street, Montreal
by Robert Campbell, published 1887 by W. Drysdale
LDS film # 496754
Index of Persons Mentioned in this Volume
Return to Protestant Church list