|Links to On-Line Resources
Libraries & Archives
This page last updated: 2/11/01
These links will open in a new browser window.
ALLEN COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY
- Address: Richmond, Indiana
- Website: http://www.earlham.edu/
- Description: The Friends Collection at Earlham College is one of the four or five largest in the world, with more than 12,000 books and nearly as many pamphlets, some going back to the 17th Century when the Society of Friends was founded. These works are supplemented with an extensive collection of Quaker genealogical materials. Personal diaries, letters, and detailed records of monthly and yearly meetings reveal the lives of thousands of Quaker men and women. Documents and Earlham's rare book collection are preserved under climate-controlled conditions. College Archivist and Curator, Thomas D. Hamm, answers nearly 400 inquiring letters each year.
- Friends Collection & College Archives
- Address: 2100 W. University, Wichita, Kansas
- Website: http://www.friends.edu
- Description: The Quaker Room at the Edmund Stanley Library is comprised of history, statistical records, philosophies, doctrines, and practices from the beginning of the Society of Friends in the early 1650s to the present.
GEORGE FOX COLLEGE
GUILFORD COLLEGE - Friends Historical Collection
- Address: 5800 West Friendly Ave., Greensboro, NC 27410 (Hege Library)
- Hours: The collection is generally open to the public Tuesday through Friday, 9 AM-12 PM and 2 PM to 5 PM. It is advisable to e-mail in advance to confirm hours of availability.
- Website: http://www.guilford.edu/library/fhc
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Description: The Friends Historical Collection, housed in Hege Library, is the center for the study of Quaker history in the Southeast. The collection includes the written records of Carolina Friends, printed and microfilmed copies of other Friends records, personal and family papers, printed materials by and about Friends worldwide, and sources for the study of Quaker family history.
- Address: Magill Library, Second Tier, Haverford College, 370 Lancaster Ave., Haverford, PA 19041-1392
- Website: http://www.haverford.edu/
- Hours: The Quaker Collection is open to the public Mon-Fri 9 AM to 12:30 PM and 1:30 PM-4:30 PM. Picture identification is required.
- Research: Genealogical requests from a distance can also be met. The Quaker Collection will provide up to 30 minutes of research time and a report free of charge. Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for a response and include specific prioritized questions complete with known dates and places. A SASE would be much appreciated, also. Reasonable photocopying service is available. Genealogical requests can be directed to Ann W. Upton, Quaker Collection, Haverford College, Haverford, PA 19041, 610/896-1161, fax: 610/896-1102, email@example.com.
- Special Collections
- Quaker Collection
- Quaker Manuscript Collection
THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
THE MARY L. COOK PUBLIC LIBRARY
MARYLAND STATE ARCHIVES
- Address: 350 Rowe Blvd, Annapolis, Maryland 21401
- Website: http://www.mdarchives.state.md.us
- Directions: Take the Rowe Blvd exit south from Route 50, go 5-7 blocks and its on the far left hand corner at a traffic light.
- Description: Beautiful, historical, colonial city to visit. They have quite a few Quaker records and have published an excellent book on Quaker Records in the Hall of Records. Some of the records cover southeastern Pennsylvania as the land was in dispute before the Mason-Dixon line was surveyed.
- Search the Archives!
THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES OF IRELAND
- National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections
- DESCRIPTION: NUCMC, or the National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections, is a free-of-charge cooperative cataloging program operated by the Library of Congress. Check out the resources below to find out more about our program, about archives and manuscript repositories, and about topics of interest to archivists and their institutions' patrons.
LDS FAMILY HISTORY CENTERS
- Main Family History Library Address:
35 North West Temple, Salt Lake City, Utah 84150-3400
- Phone: 801-240-2331
- Hours of Library: 7:30 AM-5:00 PM Mondays;
7:30 AM-10:00 PM Tuesday through Saturday; Closed Sundays
- Website: http://www.familysearch.org
- Description: The Salt Lake City Family History Center Library is the largest genealogy library in the world. There are about 2.2 million rolls of film, 740,000 microfiches, and more than 300,000 books available. There are an estimated two billion records on deceased persons.
- Family History Library Catalog: SEARCH NOW
- Find the Family History Center Nearest You: SEARCH NOW
- Salt Lake City Here We Come! Tips on Making Your SLC Research Trip a Big Success
- Doing Quaker Research at Salt Lake City by Stephen Baldwin
- Salt Lake City PAV Users Group
SEATTLE PUBLIC LIBRARY
- Address: 1000 Fourth Ave., Seattle, WA
- Website: http://www.spl.lib.wa.us/catalog/catalog.html
- Hours: Year-round hours: Mon-Thurs, 9 AM-9 PM; Fri & Sat 9 AM-6 PM; Sun 1-5 PM
- Description: The Genealogy Collection features more than 22,000 bound volumes of resource materials, as well as periodicals, pamphlets,and microforms. The collection consists of county histories; published records, such as courthouse, cemetery, church, census, and military; family histories; books on names, both personal and geographic and books on heraldry. Some information is available on most areas of the United States.
- Address: 480 Winston Dr., San Francisco, CA 94132
- Phone: (415) 731-4477
- Hours: Mon-Fri 10 AM-5 PM
- Website: http://www.sfo.com/~timandpamwolf/sfranlib.htm#SL
- Description: Holdings include over 7,000 family histories, Over 35,000 titles; over 15,000 city directories U.S. census on microfilm. 1790 to 1920, including soundex and many published indexes; indexes to Ship Passenger Arrival Lists for major Eastern ports (pre-1900).
- Search Melvyl: http://www.melvyl.ucop.edu/
SWARTHMORE FRIENDS HISTORICAL LIBRARY
- Address: Swarthmore PA 19081-1397
- Phone: (610) 328-8000
- Website: http://www.swarthmore.edu/
- Description: "The Hinshaw Index to Quaker Meeting Records," an unpublished card index at Friends Historical Library, Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, PA. It has the largest collection in the world of Quaker meeting archives and is the official repository for Philadelphia and Baltimore YM. After seeing the index, if you want copies of the original records, you will have to write to Friends Historical Library, Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, PA 19081. Telephone (610) 328-8496.
- Friends Historical Library: http://www.swarthmore.edu/Library/friends/
- Provides internet access to Quaker resources and collections at the Swarthmore, Bryn Mahr and Haverford Colleges in Pennsylvania.
- Search the TRIPOD On-Line Catalog: http://tripod.brynmawr.edu/
U.K. PUBLIC RECORD OFFICE & NATIONAL ARCHIVES
LIBRARY OF VIRGINIA DIGITAL COLLECTION