p. 49 - 51.
GRACE CHURCH, org. in 1829, first held services in the old Congregational meeting-house, cor. of Pine and Richmond Sts. In 1832 the old Providence Theatre, cor. Westminster and Mathewson Sts., was bought, and converted into a church edifice. The present freestone Gothic building was consecrated in 1846. In 1861 a chime of 16 bells was placed in the tower. A handsome brick rectory was erected on Greene Street in 1878. In 1879 there was a 'Half Century Jubilee", in commemoration of the fiftieth anniversary of the church, a full report of which, with many illustrations, was published in 1880. The rector is David H. Greer, D.D.
GRACE-CHURCH CEMETERY. -- See Cemeteries.
GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC, The, is a secret semi-military organization. Soldiers and sailors of the U. S. army, navy, or marine corps, who served during the civil war, or those having been honorably discharged therefrom after such service, are alone eligible to membership. Its objects are fraternal, charitable, and loyal. There are five posts in this city: Prescott, No. 1; Arnold, No. 4; Slocum, No. 10; Rodman, No. 12; and Ives, No. 13, -- comprising in all nearly 450 men. Ass't Adjutant General, W. J. Bradford.
GREAT BRIDGE, known also as Weybosset Bridge, is remarkable only for its width, 160 ft. It connects Market Sq. with Westminster St. The station of the Union Horse R. R. Co. is on the N. side. A foot-bridge in this place is mentioned as early as 1664.
GREGORY'S BOOK, STATIONERY, AND JOB-PRINTING ESTABLISHMENT is one of the local places of business well worth visiting, as it contains a good assortment of rare, valuable, and modern books including law, medicine, mechanics, theology, education, and romance. Reference-books, such as encyclopaedias, dictionaries, and atlases, are here to be seen in many editions of various prominent publishers. In the stock, it is intended to keep every thing in book-form, from the 'Franklin-Sq. Library' to the 'Encyclopaedia Britannica', and to keep it all in a manner which offers ready access for examination by patrons. The stock is chiefly new books, but a specialty is also made of buying and selling second-hand books of every kind. A large business is done in supplying Sunday-school libraries with complete outfits; this being the Rhode Island Episocpal Book Depository. This is also the agency of the Providence Lithograph Co., whose designs are used for Sunday-school work in the International Lessons. The stationery department supplies such goods as are usually found in stationery-stores, including albums, pocket-books, gold, steel, and stylographic pens, etc. Cards and stationery are engraved or printed for weddings, balls, parties, visiting, and other purposes. The business was established under the firm name of Gregory & White, by Harry Gregory, the present proprietor, and Col. Hunter C. White, who withdrew in 1882. Mr. Gregory has been in the book-business in Providence for the past sixteen years, and has established himself as a leading bookseller in this State.
GREENHOUSES. -- In 1875 the capital reported as invested in greenhouses in Providence was $80,700; value of the grounds, $160,740; surface of the glass, $86,484 square ft.; value of flowers sold in one year, $28,985; value of bedding-plants, $28,885; and, besides, gardening-work to the amount of $17,120 was done.
GROCERS' ASSOCIATIONS. -- The wholesale and retail grocery interests in the city are each represented by an association; the former by The Providence Wholesale Grocers' Association, established in 1881, which holds regular semi-monthly meetings at its rooms, in the Daniels Building, Custom House St.; E. S. Aldrich, sec'y; the latter by the Rhode Island Grocers' and Marketmen's Association, also established in 1881, which holds regular semi-monthly meetings at its rooms, 70 Weybosset St.; A. H. Wheaton, sec'y.
GYMNASIUMS. -- See Ladies' Sanitary Gymnasium; Work's Gymnasium; Young Men's Christian Association.
HACK-FARES. -- [Established by ordinance, Jan. 1, 1875.] For each passenger within the city, not exceeding one mile, 50 cents. For each additional mile, or fraction of a mile, 25 cents. Children from four to twelve years of age, if more than one, or accompanied by an adult, half price. Under four years of age, free.
By the hour: For the first hour, $2; each subsequent hour, $1.50.
All distances shall be computed by straight lines on the map of the city; and each owner or driver having charge of such hackney carriage shall, at all times when using the same, have a copy of said map in said carriage, which shall be exhibited when demanded.
Baggage: One trunk and one valise, saddlebag, portmanteau, bundle, or other article used in travelling, free. Every additional trunk or other article above named, ten cents.
HALLS. -- The chief public halls are, Amateur Dramatic, S. Main, cor. Power St.; Bassett, 491 High St.; Carroll, 281 High St.; Cheapside, 28 N. Main St.; Conservatory, 1 Aborn St.; Eddy's, 373 High St.; Fletcher's, 173 Westminster St.; Freedom, 101 Eddy St.; Haggai, 41 Weybosset St.; Harmony, 70 Weybosset St.; Howard, 137 Westminster St.; Infantry, 116 S. Main St.; Lester, 116 Cranston St.; Lyceum, 62 Westminster St.; Masonic, What Cheer Building, Market Sq.; Moshassuck, 70 Weybosset St; Music, 276 Westminster St.; Odd Fellows', 97 Weybosset St.; Phenix, 129 Westminster St.; Pythian, 150 Westminster St.; Slade, Washington, cor. Eddy St.; Temperance, 225 Westminster St.; Temperance, Eddy St., cor. Potter's Ave.
HARBOR, THE, extends from Fox and India Points to Field's Point, a distance of about 2 3-4 miles. From shore to shore it measures from a quarter to three-quarters of a mile; bet. the 'harbor lines' its greatest breadth is 1-2 mile. Two railroad coal-piers over 1,000 ft. long, project from either shore. 'Green-Jacket' shoal, bet. Fox and India Points, takes its name from the eel-grass which grows upon it. It is a source of much annoyance to the extensive shipping-interests at those points, and efforts are being made to secure its removal.
p. 51 - 53.
HARRIS-CORLISS ENGINE WORKS is one of the many local industries which have given to Providence its pre-eminence as a manufacturing city; the engine made here being now in use by great manufacturing establishments in almost every State in the Union. The works are extremely neat in appearance, and are situated on Promenade St., at the cor. of Park St., about 6 min. walk W. of the Union Depot. Employment is given here to upwards of 300 hands; and the machinery and appliances in use are surpassed by few works of its class in the world. The chief specialty is the making of steam-engines of any size from 10 to 1,000 horse-power. It is impossible in this limited space to give a description of the various shops or to give an idea of the many advantages of the Harris-Corliss engine, but a catalogue giving views of the engine, and embodying enthusiastic testimonials from leading firms using the engines, is sent free on application. It is well known that the engine has achieved an international reputation, and performs its work with the greatest economy. A writer has said, 'The Harris-Corliss engine is not of mushroom growth, nor has its perfection been the labor of a day; and to Mr. Harris belongs the credit of having advanced the standard of excellence of the representative automatic cut-off engine. Inbued with the true spirit of progress, he has retained all that was superior in the Corliss engine, and by his fertile resources rectified every known defect, and as a result produced an engine that has no successful rival.' The inventor and sole manufacturer of the Harris-Corliss engine is Wm. A. Harris, who has lived in Providence for the past 36 years, and has been engaged in this industry for nearly 27 years.
HARUGARI. -- See German Secret Societies.
HAYES VISIT. -- See President Hayes's visit.
HEALTH OF PROVIDENCE, The. -- Providence, as shown by the death-rate in proportion to population, is a remarkably healthy city. Estimating the number of inhabitants to be 112,000, the mortality of 1881 was in the proportion of 19.12 per thousand, or one in every 52.21 inhabitants. This, as compared with other large cities where accurate records are kept, is considerably better than the average.
HIGH SCHOOL, The, a massive brick building, with stone trimmings, of much architectural beauty, cor. of Summer and Pond Sts., cost with the land about $200,000, and was dedicated in 1878. There are nine schoolrooms in use, with accommodations for 630 pupils. Three rooms, accommodating 270 pupils, are in reserve. A hall in the third story, 64 by 108 ft., will seat about 1,400 persons. William R. Walker, architect.
HISTORICAL SOCIETIES. -- See Rhode Island Historical Societies, and Soldiers' and Sailors' Historical Societies.
HOME FOR AGED MEN, 64 Point St., established in 1874, occupies a building with accomodation for but twelve, the present number of inmates. It is supported chiefly by yearly subscriptions and donations. It has a building-fund, and a lot of land on Elmwood Av., donated by the late Joseph J. Cooke under certain conditions, upon which it hopes to erect a 'Home' at an early date. The inmates must be indigent men of American birth, of correct habits, at least 60 years of age, residents of the city for 10 years next preceding their application for admission, and for whom the sum of $125 has been paid. Visitors admitted daily, except Sunday. Eddy-st. H. C.
HOME FOR AGED WOMEN, Tockwotton St., opp. State Reform School, is in a delightful situation, overlooking the harbor and bay. It was founded in 1856, and received inmates in a building formerly standing upon the site of the present handsome brick edifice, which was completed in November, 1864. It is supported mainly by donations, collections, and from the income of an invested fund. Inmates are received upon conditions similar to those imposed by the Home for Aged Men, except that the entrance-fee is $150, and the minimum age 65. Number of inmates, 42. Visitors admitted daily, except Sunday. Governor-st. H. C.
HOMEOPATHIC DISPENSARY. -- See Dispensary.
HOMEOPATHIC HOSPITAL. -- A fund of $9,000 or $10,000 for the erection of a hospital in some part of the city, where patients may receive homeopathic treatment, has been raised through the efforts of the Ladies' Homeopathic Aid Asso'n, org'd in 1874. A very successful State Festival, the proceeds of which were added to the fund, was given by this ass'n in January last. The ladies, aided by the Rhode Island Homeopathic Society, also maintain a Homeopathic Dispensary.
HOPE CLUB, incorporated in 1876, occupies a handsomely furnished and well-situated house at 292 Benefit St. It is a purely social organization of a some-what exclusive character, and includes among its members, about 125 in number, prominent manufacturers, bankers, lawyers, and other influential citizens. The initiation-fee is $100, annual dues $50. Visitors admitted only on invitation of members.
HOPE RESERVOIR (E. side), bounded by Thayer, Olney, Brown and Barnes Sts., covers an area of nearly eighteen acres, and has a capacity of some 75,000,000 gals. On Olney St. is the high-service engine-house, a fine modern Gothic brick edifice, containing two engines, -- a Corliss engine, and one designed by A. F. Nagle, and built by the Prov. Engine Co., with a pumping capacity of about 5,000,000 gals. a day each. Broad flights of steps lead to a paved walk upon the embankment extending around the reservoir. The path is made safe by railings, and affords a delightful view. Brook-st. H. C.
HOPKINS HOUSE, No. 9 Hopkins St., near Market Sq., was the residence of Stephen Hopkins, a signer of the Declaration of Independence; nine years governor of Rhode Island, chief justice, and holder of other public offices. The house formerly stood at the foot of Hopkins St.; and, when removed to its present location, the side facing S. Main St., was turned towards the former st. Gen. Washington passed a night here in 1775.
HOPPIN MANSION. -- See President Hayes's Visit.
p. 53 - 57.
HORSE-CARS. -- Market Sq. is the horse-car centre of Providence. The passenger station of the Union Railroad Co., the only local horse-railroad corporation, is on Great Bridge, adjacent to the sq. Here are the waiting-rooms, the ticket and business offices. This Co. was incorporated in 1865, and is a union of several companies. The length of track operated is about 41 miles; the number of cars owned is 200; the number of stables, 8, accommodating 1,000 horses, required for the use of the company. Conductors are paid $2.25 a day, and advanced after two years' service to $2.50 a day; and driver $2.00 a day, advanced after two years' service to $2.25 a day. The conductors when on duty wear a blue uniform, the drivers a gray. Fares within the city limits are 6 cts. for adults, and 3 cts. for children; to Pawtucket 10 cts., and to Pawtuxet 12 cts. Tickets at 5 cts. each are sold in packages of not less than 20 on the cars, and in packages of not less than 5 at the Company's ticket-office. The list of the various routes is fully shown on the next page.
[note: Routes/schedule from pages 56 - 57 will be reproduced at a later date]
HOSPITALS. -- See Homeopathic Hospital, Rhode-Island Hospital.
HOTEL DORRANCE, 155 Westminster St., is a well-kept hotel, on the American plan. Rates, $2.50 to $4.00 per day; 120 rooms. The building is of brick with terra-cotta trimmings, and was erected in 1878-79.
HOTELS. -- From the opening of the simple tavern in Olney's Lane, kept by Joseph Olney, to the completion of the luxurious Narragansett Hotel, kept by Chapin & Robinson, a long period of time has elapsed; but the advance in the comforts offered has more than kept abreast of other improvements. It is not the province of this work to furnish the history of the hotels which have had their day; all that can be done is to enumerate the more prominent hotels of the present time, and then describe the most magnificent hotel -- the Narragansett -- which has made Providence famous among the cities of the world having unusually noteworthy hotels. There are about thirty hotels in Providence, besides innumerable boarding houses. Leading hotels are the:
Aldrich House, A. W. Aldrich, Washington, cor. Eddy St., American plan,
$2.00 to $5.20.
Central Hotel, Hopkins & Sears, 6 to 10 Canal and 14 N. Main St. European plan, 50 cents, 75 cents and $1.00; American plan, $1.50
City Hotel, F. W. Huntoon, 148 and 150 Broad St. American plan, $2.00.
Hotel Dorrance, L. H. Humphreys, Westminster St., cor. Dorrance St. American plan, $2.50 to $4.00.
Narrangansett Hotel, Chapin & Robinson, Broad, cor. Dorrance St. American plan, $3 to $4.
Perrin House, Chas. H. Chace, 91 Washington St. American plan, $2.00.
Providence Hotel, F. W. Huntoon, N. Main St., next to State House. American plan, $2.00.
For a detailed description of the Narragansett Hotel, see heading Narragansett Hotel.
'HOUSE OF THREE ONES', is a local name for the fire-engine station, Exchange Pl., occupied by Hose Co. No. 1, Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1, and Protective Co., No. 1.
INDIA BRIDGE -- See Washington Bridge.
INDIA POINT, on the E. side, is an irregular projection at the mouth of the Seekonk River. Two bridges (a passenger and a railway bridge) cross from here to the town of E. Providence. The Boston and Prov. R. R. Co. owns extensive wharf property on the S. or harbor side of the point. Distance from Fox Point, 5 - 8 mile.
INFANTRY BUILDING, 116 S. Main St., erected in 1879 by the Prov. Light Infantry Asso'n, is a handsome brick building with olive-stone trimmings, and capped by a tower. The ground-floor is divided into stores. On the second and third floors are business rooms, ten company rooms, a supper-room, and the veterans' room. In the rear is Infantry Hall, 120 by 75 ft., with a gallery on three sides, and a seating capacity of over 2,000. The fourth story contains the armory, officers' room, club-room, and the library and reading-room. The building cost about $60,000, and was dedicated by a grand fair in the hall, the proceeds of which were used for furnishing the rooms.
INFANTRY-HALL SKATING-RINK, 116 S. Main St., was opened the present season. Doors open at 2 and 7:30 P.M. Governor or Brook St. H. C. See Infantry Building.
INSTITUTE OF INSTRUCTION, RHODE ISLAND, was org. in 1845, to promote 'the improvement of public schools and other means of popular education'. The annual session, occurring in January and lasting several days, takes place in Providence. The meetings, most of which are open to all friends of education, are held at different public schools, and - for a number of years past - at Music Hall. Papers are read and addresses made on subjects relating to both the educational and moral advancement of pupils, and opportunity is given for discussion. At the closing meeting of the session, the officers for the ensuing year are elected. Sec'y, X. D. Tingley, Central Falls.
American Mutual Fire Insurance Co., 9 Equitable Building.
Atlantic Fire Marine Insurance Co., 45 Westminster St.
Blackstone Mutual Fire Insurance Co., 41 Westminster St.
City Insurance Co., 23 Custom-House St. (In liquidation.)
Enterprise Mutual Fire Insurance Co., 9 and 10 Equitable Building.
Equitable Fire and Marine Insurance Co., Equitable Building. (See notice elsewhere.)
Firemen's Mutual Insurance Co., 11 Westminster St.
Franklin Mutual Fire Insurance Co., 12 S. Main and 2 College St.
Hope Mutual Fire Insurance Co., 45 Westminster St.
Manufacturers' Mutual Fire Insurance Cco. of Rhode Island, Board of Trade Building.
Mechanics' Mutual Fire Insurance Co., Board of Trade Building.
Merchants' Insurance Co., 22 Market Sq.
Merchants' Mutual Fire Insurance Co., 41 Westminster St.
Providence Mutual Fire Insurance Co., 45 Westminster St.
Providence Mutual Steam Boiler Insurance Co., 45 Westminster St., room 5.
Providence Washington Insurance Co., 20 Market Sq. (See notice elsewhere.)
Rhode Island Insurance Association (See heading elsewhere.)
Roger Williams Insurance Co., 5 Equitable Building.
State Mutual Fire Insurance Co., No. 9 and 10 Equitable Building.
Union Mutual Fire Insurance Co., 11 Westminster St.
What Cheer Mutual Fire Insurance Co., 45 Westminster St., room 5.
IRREPRESSIBLE SOCIETY, THE, 81 N. Main St., was formed in 1862, to furnish employment for poor needle-women, who come weekly to the rooms to recieve work, chiefly sewing of the plainer sort. The institution receives its support from annual subscriptions and from funds raised by occasional entertainments.
p. 57 - 60.
JEWS. -- After the Spanish and Portuguese Jews were driven out of Newport by the British army in the Revolution, a few of them came to Providence, but not enough to organize a synagogue. Within the past 50 years there have appeared a number of Hebrews from Central and Northern Europe. These German, Russian, and Polish Jews have at last become quite a factor in the life of the city. The Russian, Polish, and some German Jews claim to be Orthodox. The others, mainly Germans, are reformed.
The Orthodox orgd. in 1875, under the name of 'Sons of Zion'. They began to worship on Canal St.; removed for a time to Wayland Building on N. Main St., but now hold service at No. 42 Canal St. Their first reader was the Rev. Lazarus Finsilwer. They hold the old forms of ritual: prayers in Hebrew alone; discourses in German; heads covered; faces in worship towards Jerusalem; women apart from the men. The common congregation counts about 40.
The Reformed orgd. in 1877, under the name of 'Sons of Israel'. Their first rabbi was the Rev. Dr. Jacob Voorsanger. He was followed by the Revs. M. Moses and M. Rottenburg. Myer Noot is now serving as a reader. They located at first on the cor. Pine and Page Sts. In Oct., 1882, they established their synagogue at 98 Weybosset St. They take greater freedom than the Orthodox; have prayers in Hebrew and German; discourses in English, men and women sit together; thus they are more progressive and more in harmony with the spirit of the times; but they worship with their faces toward Jerusalem.
The Jewish cemetery on Reservoir Av. was first opened in 1857, but was fully dedicated in the present year (1882). Two Jewish societies are mentioned in this book under heading 'German Secret Societies'. -- Frederic Denison.
KINDERGARTEN, A FREE, was opened in May, 1881, at the old Fountain-st. Grammar School, nr. Aborn St. Starting with two pupils, the number has increased to forty, who receive thorough instruction from two competent teachers - one giving her services - under the supervision of Mrs. C. M. N. Alden, whose private kindergarten on Angell St. has long been known and appreciated. The charity is supported by subscription.
KING FERDINAND II, of the Two Sicilies, a bust of, stands at the Broad-st. entrance of Roger Williams Park. This piece of scuplture, executed in Europe, is of white marble, resting on a granite pedestal, and was presented to the city in 1882.
KNIGHTS AND LADIES OF HONOR is an organization similar to the Knights of Honor, with which it was connected until Jan. 1, 1882. The first Lodge in Rhode Island was started in Providence, Jan. 4, 1877. It admits to membership ladies and gentlemen. It provides for two grades of cooperative life insurance, one being for $1,000 and other for $2,000.
KNIGHTS OF HONOR began in Providence, Nov. 5, 1874, by the organizing of the 'Providence Lodge', No. 182, with 17 charter members. Its membership now is about 200. It meets in Prescott Post Hall. There are now two other lodges: the 'Excelsior', org. April 30, 1877, which meets in Reform Club Hall, 41 Westminster St.; and the 'Golden Rule', org. July 23, 1877, which meets in the Prescott Post Hall. The Knights of Honor is a secret organization which provides weekly benefits to its sick members, and an insurance of $2,000 to the family of a deceased member. It is a national organization, having at time of last report 138,000 members in the United States.
KNIGHTS OF PYTHIAS. -- There are six lodges of this society in the city, numbering some 400 members. It is a secret, benevolent order, paying from $3.00 to $5.00 a week to its sick and disabled members. Connected with it are two beneficial associations, participation in the advantages of which is optional: the first, K. of P. Sick Benefit, secures an additional allowance of $7.00 a week; the second, an Endowment Rank, offers an insurance upon the life of its members varying from $1,000 to $4,000. G. K. of R. and S., Wm. A. Wilson.
KNITTING-SILK is probably used in every well-regulated family in Providence; and it may be intersting to know that Geo. D. Atkins of Boston, the New England agent of the Nonotuck Silk Co., will mail prepaid to any address, without charge, a neat and useful pamphlet, entitled 'How to use Florence Knitting Silk'. The pamphlet gives many illustrations and tested instructions on the best manner of using knitting-silks.
LADIES' SANATORY GYMNASIUM, fifth floor Butler Exchange, was opened in December, 1881, by Dr. J. P. Brooks, to promote a healthful use of gymnastic exercise among ladies and children. The complete apparatus was selected by Dr. D. A. Sargent, Prof. of Physical Training at Harvard University. The exercise for each individual is carefully prescribed, and over-exertion prevented.
LA SALLE ACADEMY, for boys, 119 Fountain St., is conducted by the Roman Catholic order of Christian Brothers, and was founded in 1872. The building occupied is a large three-story brick edifice. The school is essentially Roman Catholic; has no primary department, and is free to the boys of the parish (SS. Peter and Paul) who are qualified to enter. Average attendance about 180.
LATITUDE OF PROVIDENCE. -- 41* 49' 22" N.
LATTER-DAY SAINTS, The re-organized Church of Jesus Christ, formed in this city in 1869, have had no regular house of worship until recently, when they hired and furnished Carroll Hall, 281 High St., in which they first held services Sunday, Sept. 24, 1882. The denomination to which this church belongs, claim a total membership of 30,000. They believe in the Bible as the word of God, and also think the the Book of Mormon as revealed to Joseph Smith is inspired. They do not hold to nor believe in the doctrine of polygamy as practised by the Mormons of Utah, and their organization is distinct from Utah Mormonism. The denomination dates from 1859, and claims to be the historical successor of the original Mormon Church, as the term 're-organized' indicates. This claim has been recognized by the United States Courts. The present headquarters of the body is Lamoille, Decatur Co., Io.; and the organization is chartered under the laws of Illinois. Membership of the Providence church is about 200.
LEGISLATURE. -- See General Assembly.
p. 60 - 62.
LEWANDO'S FRENCH DYE-HOUSE was established about 40 years ago by Lewando, a French-man who had been instructed in the best schools of his native country. His reputation as a practical dyer and cleanser of all grades of fabrics has never been surpassed by any one in the country. The business that he set in operation by establishing a dye-house at Watertown, Mass., has steadily developed, until to-day it is one of the largest and best known in its line; the works giving constant employment to over 100 persons. The main office has always been in Boston, but regular branch offices have been established from time to time in various cities. In 1880 one was established at Providence, R. I., which is also the successor of Dodge's Boston Dye-House. The Providence branch is at 270 West minster St., next building below Music Hall.
LIBRARIES. -- The important public libraries are those of Brown University, the Providence Athenaeum, the Providence Public Library, the Rhode Island Historical Society, the Young Men's Christian Association, the Union for Christian Work, and the Franklin Lyceum, - all of which are noticed more in detail elsewhere in this book, in their alphabetical places. The Rhode Island Medical Society, 54 North Main St., has 2,000 medical books. The aggregate number of volumes in libraries open to the public or shareholders exceeds 175,000.
There are many valuable private libraries, each having its specialty. Probably the most noteworthy is that of John Carter Brown, containing over 10,000 volumes, and being very rich in early Americana. Other notable libraries are those of John R. Bartlett, essentially a working library in the departments of geography and archaeology; the late Caleb Fiske Harris, whose collection of American poetry is perhaps the finest in the country; Sidney S. Rider, whose specialty is Rhode-Island history; Prof. A. S. Packard, jr., rich in entomological and embryological works; Royal C. Taft and Alexander Farnum, each of which is rich in the English classics. Joseph J. Cooks left a large and valuable library containing, among other curiosities, an Eliot Indian Bible and a collection of manuscript letters, written during the Revolutionary war by Gen. Washington, to Gen. Joseph Reed of Philadelphia. Several of these private libraries have been repeatedly found serviceable, by special students, in this country and in Europe, so unique are the treasures here collected. Of only two of them have catalogues been printed; namely, - of the Harris Library, pronounced by Prof. Moses Coit Tyler 'the most extensive in the world' in the department of American poetry; and of the John Carter Brown Library, the four volumes of which (but without the second edition of vol. i, the most valuable of all) brought $280 at the sale of the Menzies Library in New York in 1875. In 1878 Horatio Rogers, who also owns a noteworthy library, published, through Sidney S. Rider, a valuable book on 'Private Libraries of Providence', which describes in detail the private libraries above mentioned. This work may be read with much profit by all lovers of books.
LICENSE COMMISSIONERS license the sale of pure spirituous and intoxicating liquors. The License Commission dates from June, 1875. The liquor question is decided annually, by popular vote. At the November election, 1881, the majority for license was 391. The three commissioners are chosen by the city council, one annually, for a term of three years. Office, City Hall.
LIEDERKRANZ, THE, 51 Dorrance St., meeting twice a week, is a German musical and social society, org. in 1857. Membership, 78. Its collection of music is valued at $3,000.
'LITTLE SISTERS OF THE POOR' Home for the Aged, Slocum St., (the building was formerly the Gen. James Mansion), opened March 23, 1881, receives destitute persons of good character, of any nationality or creed, above the age of 60 years. Seven sisters of this Catholic sisterhood, under the direction of a Lady Superior, manage the institution, and, with some slight assistance from the inmates, do the domestic work. There are 45 inmates, which is as many as the building will accommodate. This charity depends wholly upon donations, any kinds of which are gladly received. Visitors admitted daily, from 11 A.M. to 5 P.M. Olneyville H. C.
LOCAL EXPRESSES. -- This is a branch of the express business carried on by wagons, and for the accommodation of places near the city not readily reached by other expresses. Many teamsters do local expressing, in addition to their other business. Books or slates are kept by these expressmen, in stores on Canal, Dyer, and adjacent streets; and, by leaving a written order, goods will be called for, and carried to the destination to which the express runs. A number of such expresses run from here to Pawtucket; and expresses also run to Lonsdale, Central Falls, Ashton, Attleboro, Plainville, River Point, Manton, E. Greenwich, E. Providence, Pawtuxet. For particulars, see Reid's Time-tables.
LOCUST-GROVE CEMETERY. -- See Cemeteries.
LONGITUDE OF PROVIDENCE. -- 21* 24' 48" W.
LOW'S GRAND OPERA HOUSE, Westminster and Union Sts., was built in 1877 as a public hall, and remodelled in 1878 into a theatre. It is constructed of brick and iron, trimmed with olive stone and white brick. The stage is 36 ft. deep and 100 ft. wide. The main entrance was formerly on Union St., but in 1882 a grand entrance was made on Westminster St. At the same time other improvements were made, including the putting-in of a gallery, which increased the seating capacity from 1,300 to 1,800; and the re-decorating of the whole interior. The house is owned by Wm. H. Low, jun., and is used by some of the leading theatrical co.'s and most prominent lecturers that visit the city.
p. 62 - 64.
MACULLAR, PARKER, AND COMPANY, who occupy one of the neatest mercantile buildings in Providence, are known throughout this country as one of the esteemed firms engaged in the manufacture of clothing - 'ready-made' and 'custom-work'. The firm have been engaged uninterruptedly in this business for upwards of 30 years, and during this period have built up and maintained a reputation for making the best and most satisfactory garments. An idea of the magnitude of their business can be gleaned from the fact that in their establishment upwards of 600 persons are constantly employed in making men's clothing which is sold exclusively at retail in only three stores, the two Macullar, Parker, & Company, at 400 Washington St. in Boston and at 112 Westminster St. in Providence, and that of Macullar & Son, at 374 Main St., in Worcester. One exception is to be made to this statement: that is, their white vests are sold to leading merchant-tailors in all parts of the world, these vests being a specialty in which this firm is unequalled by any competitors. To get their materials on the most favorable terms, the firm import their woollens directly from the most reputable mills in Europe, and own a large interest in well-known mills in this country. They keep the same persons constantly at work on the same parts of the same kind of garments, in order to get the most perfect results. Every piece of goods is thoroughly and scientifically tested before it is cut up, guaranteed in all its details. No customer ever becomes justly disatisfied, for every thing that any rational person can expect of a business house is performed by this firm. It has become an admitted fact, that as a model manufacturing establishment, where employes [sic] are paid liberally and treated generously, and where they are provided with comfortable and healthy apartments in which to do their work, there is none in Amercia to be commended more highly than that of Macullar, Parker, & Company. No house in its line obtains better terms on purchases, and none serves the public more generously. Few, if any, keep a larger assortment of fine clothing for all seasons; and none are prepared to make garments to order with greater rapidity or with more satisfaction. The Providence branch is in charge of Daniel B. Holder, who has been in the employ of this firm for 18 consecutive years.
MAIN STREET. -- What is known as North and South Main Sts. was in the early history of Providence called the 'Towne Streete'. It was laid out in 1638, and was the first street, and for many years the only one. The houses of the inhabitants were built on the east side of the street; and, as there were no houses on the west side, an unobstructed view of the river could be had. When the people began to engage in commerce, warehouses and wharves were built on the west side; and thus in time the old street ceased to be 'the greate street that lyeth by the waterside'. In 1805, by ordinance of the town, the present names were given, and have since been retained.
North Main St., a thoroughfare extending from Market Sq. to the town of Pawtucket, was once the centre of business activity. The principal shops were located here, and that part of the st. in the vicinity of Market Sq. was called Cheapside. Portions of it have been twice widened and straightened, once in 1856 and again in 1870. The old Providence Museum forms a part of the Gorham Manufactory on this st.
South Main St., with its continuation, North Main St., was known in the early days of Providence as Town St. It is a narrow, irregular busines thoroughfare, extending from Market Sq. to India St., and contains but few modern structures. Many of the wealthier residents of the town built fine houses here; but these have mostly fallen into decay, or have been given up to the purposes of trade.
MANSION HOUSE, The, cor. of Benefit and South Court Sts., nearly opposite the State House, is the oldest public house now standing in Providence. Opened in 1784 under the name of Golden Hall Inn, - with corresponding sign, - it has entertained, among others, Presidents Washington and Monroe, and Gen. Layfayette.
MANUFACTURERS. -- Providence is noted as a seat of various and important manufacturers. According to the U. S. Census report on manufacturers for 1880, there were then in the city 1,186 manufacturing establishments; with a capital of $23,573,932; employing 26,667 hands, to whom during the year from June 1, 1879, to May 31, 1880, wages to the amoung of $8,903,729 had been paid. The value of the material used was $21,376,467; value of goods manufactured, $39,596,653. The most prominent manufactures are jewelry, machinery, iron castings, cotton, woollen, and worsted goods. Of jewelry establishments there were 142; capital, $2,755,070; hands employed, 4,422; wages paid, $1,614,836; material used, $2,495,824; and value of product, $5,444,092. Providence is now the foremost American city in this industry. Of establishments for the manufacture of machinery, there were 47; capital, $2,667,325; employees, 3,054; wages paid, $1,312,076; materials used, $1,705,254; value of products, $3,930,185. Of cotton-manufacturing establishments there were 15; capital, $2,073,280; employees, 1,746; wages paid, $420,242; materials used, $1,025,571; products, $2,004,788. Of woollen establishments there were 6; capital, $2,179,700; employees, 1,988; wages paid, $703,391; materials used, $2,258,601; products, $4,062,947. Of worsted goods manufactories there were 3; capital, $1,000,000; employees, 1,741; wages paid, $599,588; materials used, $1,777,030; products, $3,077,000. Of iron-casting establishments, there were 10; capital, $1,011,650; employees, 731; wages paid, $316,366; materials used, $349,710; products, $827,216. The most important of other manufacturers are clothing, files, flour and grist mill products, furniture, marble and stone products, meat-packing, patent medicines and compounds, printing and publishing, etc.
Among the oldest and most prominent manufacturers are: --
Allen's Print Works, office 31 Market Sq.; formerly the Providence Woollen Mill, built in 1813.
Browne & Sharpe Manufacturing Co., Promenade, near Park St.; established in 1873.
Corliss Steam-Engine Co., near Charles-st. R.R. crossing; incorporated in 1867.
Providence Tool Co., 148 West River St.; incorporated in 1847.
Gorham Manufacturing Co. (silver-ware), North Main, cor. Steeple St.; founded in 1831.
Nicholson File Co., 111 Acorn St.; org. in 1865.
Phenix Iron-Foundry, cor. Elm and Eddy Sts.; chartered 1832.
Franklin Foundry and Machine Co., incorp. 1836, Charles St.
Providence Machine Co., office 564 Eddy St., chartered 1866; also
proprietors of Rhode Island Malleable-Iron Works.
Providence Steam-Engine Co., 373 to 379 South Main St.; which commenced manufacture in 1821.
American Screw Co., org. in 1860, 588 Eddy St. and 21 Stephens St.
Rhode Island Locomotive-Works, Hemlock, cor. Valley St.
Fletcher Manfacturing Co. (small wares, laces, wicks, etc.), established in 1793, and incorporated in 1865; Charles St.
Providence Steam (cotton) Mill, Dyer St.
Rumford Chemical Works, office, 59 South Water St.
Harris-Corliss Engine-Works, established in 1864; Park St.
Providence Worsted Mills (Charles Fletcher), Valley Av.; established 1875.
Akerman Co. (blank-books), Washington Buildings; established 1836.
Carpenter's Gold and Silver Refinery and Sweep Smelting Works, 29 and 31 Page St.; established 1878.
E. G. Farmer & Co., steel-engravers, Rose Building; established 1878.
Household Sewing-Machine Co., Wickenden St., (formerly factory No. 2 of Prov. Tool Co.).
MANUFACTURER'S HOTEL stood on Market Sq., on the spot now occupied by the What Cheer Building. It was quite a famous hostelry, and from its balcony public proclamations and declarations were read.
p. 64 - 67.
MARINE CORPS OF ARTILLERY, Providence, chartered in 1801, was originally composed of sea captains and seamen; and the officers were required to be members of the Providence Marine Society. This restriction was finally removed. The company at first had two 32-pound iron cannon, and the men carried short swords or hangers. About the time of the Dorr war the company drilled as infantry; and about 1848 it became a battery of light artillery, said to have been the first volunteer battery in the United States. In 1850, or thereabout, the corps made an excursion to Boston, where they drilled on the common under the command of Col. J. P. Balch, and so aroused the enthusiasm of the Bostonians that a battery was org. there; and the officers came to Providence, and were drilled by the officers of the Marine Corps of Arsenal. The Marine Corps was the parent of all the light artillery sent from Rhode Island during the civil war; all the batteries having been organized and recruited under its supervision, and most of the prominent officers were trained in its armory. Eight three-years' batteries were sent out, and the company went out on two successive occasions for three months each time. The organization is at present an independent chartered company, and is represented in the active militia by Battery A, Light Artillery, R. I. M. All the officeres and most of the men in Bat. A are members of the Marine Corps. The armory of the company is in the Arsenal on Benefit St.
MARINE SOCIETY, THE PROVIDENCE, incorporated in 1798, was established by commanders of vessels, - past or present - 'for the relief in distress, and for the relief of their widows and children'; but, to further its benevolent designs, also admits persons of other occupations, as honorary members. At the annual dinner, which occurs July 4, roast pig is served in accordance with an old sea custom. G. B. Brown, sec'y.
MARKETS. -- There are now no city markets, so-called, in Providence. Only two of these relics of the past are standing: the Old City Building, built in 1773 (see Old City Building), and the New Market-House, junc. of High and Broad Sts., which was built in 1827, and has been little altered. A sort of open-air market exists on Dyer and S. Water Sts., where garden produce of various kinds may be bought every morning from farmers' and hucksters' wagons.
MARKET SQ., on the east side of the Providence River, adjoins the Great Bridge. All the horse-car lines meet, and most of them start here. The Board of Trade and What Cheer Buildings are on this square.
MARRIAGES in Rhode Island can be solemnized only by regularly ordained clergymen or elders of any religious denomination (or ministers of any society professing to meet for religious purposes, and sustaining a minister publicly ordained), who must be domiciled in this State; or by either justice of the Supreme Court. Exceptions are made only in the cases of wardens in the town of New Shoreham, and of members of the Society of Friends. Residents of this city intending to be married in Providence, or elsewhere in this State, must file their intentions, and procure a license or certificate, at the office of the City Registrar, City Hall. Residents of any State other than Rhode Island, intending to be married in this city, must do the same. Residents of any town in Rhode Island intending to be married in Providene must procure a certificate from the clerk of the town in which they reside.
In all cases the certificate must be delivered to the clergyman or other person authorized to marry, before the marriage is solemnized.
The following statistics of marriages in Providence are taken from the report of Dr. E. M. Snow, the city registrar for 1881 (27th annual report): Whole number of marriages in 1881, 1,202; largest number in any one month, 134 in Oct.; smallest number in any one month, 66 in Dec. Nativity of grooms: United States, 794; Ireland, 162; England, Scotland, and Wales, 121; Germany, 20; British America, 68; Portugal and Western Islands, 10; other countries, 27. Nativity of brides: United States, 818; Ireland, 175; England, Scotland, and Wales, 75; Germany, 10; British America, 95; Portugal and Western Islands, 8; other countries, 21. The number of grooms who were less than 25 years old was 394, or 32.78 per cent; the number of bridges, 668, or 55.58 per cent. 162 brides were less than 20 years old. For 1,027 of the brides, or 85.44 per cent of all, it was the first marriage; also for 968 of the grooms, or 80.53 per cent. There were 878 cases in which it was the first marriage of both parties. There were 387 marriages solemnized by Roman-Catholic clergymen; 191 by Methodist; 154 by Episcopalian; 142 by Calvinistic Baptist; 119 by Congregationalist; 45 by Universalist; 43 by Free Baptist; 32 by Presbyterian; 31 by Unitarian; 211 by clergymen of other denominations; and 1 by a justice of the Supreme Court. The number of marriages among colored people in 1881 was 61, the largest number that has ever occurred in Providence in one year. At the Jan. session of the General Assembly in 1881, the law forbidding the intermarriage of colored and white persons was repealed. In consquence of this the records show 5 marriages in which the parties were white and colored.
MASONS, FREE AND ACCEPTED. -- Of the 35 Masonic lodges in Rhode Island, 8 are in this city and one in East Providence. The Grand Lodge meets annually in the Masonic Hall, What Cheer Building, the third Monday in May, also third Monday in Nov. and June 24. Grand Sec'y, Edwin Baker, 70 Weybosset St. Of the Providence lodges, five meet monthly in What Cheer Building; viz., St. John's No. 1, Mt. Vernon No. 4, What Cheer No. 21, Corinthian No. 27, and Redwood No. 35. Adelphoi No. 33 meets in Elizabeth Building, 104 Main St. Orpheus Lodge No. 36, and Nestell Lodge No. 37, meet at 70 Weybosset St. Rising Sun Lodge No. 30 meets in Ray's Block (Watchemoket), E. Providence. Of the higher Masonic bodies the following meet in What Cheer Building: viz., Grand Royal Arch Chapter of Rhode Island; Providence Council No. 1, Royal and Select Masters; Providence Royal Arch Chapter; St. John's No. 1 and Cavalry Commanderies of Knights Templar; Grand Commandery of Massachusetts and Rhode Island; and the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rites Ineffable Masons, consisting of Providence Consistory, S. P. R. S.; Providence Sovereign Chapter, Rose Croix; Providence Council, Princes of Jerusalem; and King Solomon Lodge of Perfection. The Grand Council of Royal and Select Masters meets at 70 Weybosset St. The number of Masons in Providence is estimated at 1,400, in Rhode Island at 4,200.
There are some 300 colored Masons in the city, forming distinct organizations from those above mentioned. Harmony Grand Lodge and all subordinate lodges, the Grand Chapter of R. I., and Grand Commandery of R.I. and Mass., meet at 98 Weybosset St. A. Marshall Terrence, Grand Sec'y, 167 South Main St.
MATHEWSON-STREET METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH was organized, in 1848, as the Third Methodist Society in Providence, by members who withdrew from the Power-st. Church (now Hope-st. Church) and the Chestnut-st. Church. The society worshipped in a hall on Westminster St. until the erection of their present commodious brick edifice on Mathewson St., which was dedicated May 28, 1851. Present membership, 375; pastor, W. T. Worth.
MAYORS FROM 1832 TO 1882. --
Samuel Willard Bridgham ..... 1832 - 40*
Thomas Mackie Burgess ...... 1841 - 52**
Amos Chafee Barstow ....... 1852 - 53
Walter Raleigh Danforth ...... 1853 - 54
Edward Peck Knowles ...... 1854 - 55
James Youngs Smith ....... 1855 - 57
William Mitchell Rodman ...... 1857 - 59
Jabez Comstock Knight ...... 1859 - 64
Thomas Arthur Doyle ...... 1864 - 69
George Leonard Clark ..... 1869 - 70
Thomas Arthur Doyle ...... 1870 - 81***
William Salisbury Hayward .... 1881 - 83
*Inaugurated in June, 1832; served till December, 1840, the date of
**Inaugurated in February, 1840; served till June, 1852.
***The time of inauguration changed from June to January.
p. 67 - 69.
MECHANICS' AND MERCHANTS' ASSOCIATION. -- See Providence Association.
MECHANICS' EXCHANGE OF THE CITY OF PROVIDENCE, 23 Weybosset St., is an ass'n of mechanics and merchants, formed for mutual protection and benefit. The rooms are provided with lock-boxes for each member's letters, orders, etc.; and, for such as care to incur the additional expense, office-desks are furnished. The leading newspapers are on file. Number of members at present, 125. The first meeting was held in March, 1878. Members only are entitled to the privileges of the Exchange.
MEDICAL SOCIETIES, three in number, are the Rhode Island Medical Society (org'd 1812), Geo. D. Hersey, M. D., sec'y; the Providence Medical Association (org'd 1848), Wm. R. White, M. D., sec'y; and the Rhode Island Homeopathic Society (org'd 1850), Geo. B. Peck, jun., M. D., sec'y.
MENDELSSOHN CHORAL UNION, org'd in 1878, has for its leader Prof. J. Hastings, the director of the Providence Conservatory of Music and Orchestral School. This society rehearses weekly, and, during the season, gives several public concerts, chiefly oratorios, and other choral music. The active membership, limited to 200, includes competent singers who pay a small entrance-fee and are under stringent regulations as to attendance at rehearsals. Associate members pay an annual tax of $5, are admitted to all rehearsals, and receive two tickets to each concert given by the society.
MERCHANT TAILORING is an important department of the clothing establishment of Macullar, Parker, & Company, at No. 112 Westminster St., which is described elsewhere.
METEOROLOGICAL OBSERVATIONS are taken daily, and carefully recorded under the direction of the city engineer, at Hope Reservoir and City Hall.
The record is a tabulated statement showing the state of the barometer and thermometer, the relative humidity, the direction and force of the wind, the state of the atmosphere and amount of cloud, and the amount of rain or snow, for each day of the month. It is published at the close of each month in 'The Providence Journal'.
METHODIST EPISCOPAL DENOMINATION. -- The first Methodist preacher to visit and preach in Providence was Rev. Freeborn Garrettson, who, in travelling from Boston to New York, passed through Providence, April, 1787, and preached two sermons in a Congregational church. Jesse Lee visited Providence in 1790; and Bishop Asbury, in 1791. The first regularly appointed preacher to Rhode island was the Rev. Lemuel Smith, who, in 1792, was assigned to the first circuit in this State, and to be preacher in charge of Providence. Until 1798 the itinerant preachers made occasional visits; but in that year Joshua Hall was stationed in Providence, and the first class was organized by him. For many years the progress of the denomination was slow. Services were held in private houses, and often there was no regular preacher. In 1811 or 1812 a small school-house on the 'Cat Alley', now Middle St., was hired; and services were held here until the erection of a church on Aborn St., cor. of Washington, in 1816. This house was abandoned for the Chestnut-st. church, erected in 1822. The Chestnut-st. society is the parent of all the other M. E. churches in the city, each org. having either sprung directly from this body or from a society which has originated from it. There are now in the city 8 societies of this denomination, with 7 church edifices, several of them large and costly structures; the total membership is 2,126; probationers, 172; local preachers, 13. For a list of the churches, see heading Churches.
MILITIA. -- See Rhode Island Militia.
MISSIONARY HELPER, THE, a missionary magazine of 32 pages, published until recently bi-monthly and now monthly by the Free Baptist Woman's Missionary Society. Established 1878. Mrs. J. M. Brewster, editor.
MORMONS. -- See Latter-Day Saints.
MOSHASSUCK RIVER, whose title formerly included the Providence River, has its source in the township of Lincoln, in the N. E. part of the State, and flows S. until it enters the Cove. There are several falls in the river, and its waters are used for manufacturing purposes. Several important bleacheries are on its banks.
MOUNT PLEASANT, overlooking the Woonasquatucket valley and the W. Side, is in the S. W. part of the 10th ward. Its high ground and pure air render it a desirable locality for residence. In 1881 nearly three-fourths of the new buildings of this ward were erected in this section.
MOWRY AND GOFF'S ENGLISH AND CLASSICAL SCHOOL has attained a rank second to no similar institution in this country. In 1864 Wm. A. Mowry, who for five years had been at the head of the English and scientific department of the Providence High School, and a teacher there for a period previous, projected an English and classical school, the underlying principle of which was 'The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom', and the object of which was to give to boys a thorough moral and intellectual education, with due attention to their physical needs, -- in short, thoroughly to fit young men for business, for scientific schools, or for college. He opened the school in February, 1864, in the Lyceum Building, with 53 scholars. In September of the same year he associated with himself his present partner, Chas. B. Goff, a college mate and firend, then, and, for half a dozen years previous, the principal of the Fall River High School. The motto of Mowry and Goff was, ''Deo doctrinaeque'; and, under this, the school has experienced nothing but uninterrupted prosperity. In 1865, the accommodation becoming too small, two full stories were obtained in the Narragansett Block. Five years later additional room became a necessity; and the school was moved to Fletcher Building, where it remained till the completion, in 1875, of the present building, which Mowry and Goff themselves erected expressly for school use. It is one of the best constructed and most serviceable structures of its kind to be seen in the city. The two large upper floors, 91 x 94 feet each, are utilized for the school, while the lower floor is occupied by the Providence Public Library. It is situated on Snow St., extending through to Moulton St., bet. Westminster and Washington Sts. It is thoroughly fitted out with all appliances and apparatus necessary to make it wholesome and useful. It was formally dedicated April 22, 1875, with interesting exercises, which were published in the school's report for that year. The catalogue for 1882 shows 14 instructors and 263 scholars. The school has had 2,000 pupils, and has already 250 graduates, many of whom are prosperous men, in various professional and business pursuits.
MUSICAL SOCIETIES. -- See Arion Club, Cecilia Society, Mendelssohn Choral Union, and Providence Symphony Society.
p. 69 - 71.
MUSIC HALL, 276 Westminster St., is used for concerts, lectures, fairs, etc. Its shape is rectangular, 105 feet long, 85 feet wide. A gallery runs along three sides, and an upper gallery in the rear. The hall contains a fine and powerful Hook & Hastings concert organ. Stage accommodates an orchestra of 60, and 300 singers. Seating capacity of auditorium, 2,200. The hall was enlarged, and the interior arrangement completely reversed, in 1881.
MUTUAL FRIENDS OF AMERICA announces itself as 'the cheapest fraternal association, and the only one whose supreme council provides a weekly sick-benefit for members.' James Hiscox of Providence, who is one of the finance committee of the supreme council, is organizing a local council.
MUTUAL HEALTH ASSOCIATION, The, Providence, was org. in 1868, 'for the purpose of securing to working-men and their families suitable medical attendance and medicines, by small regular payments, without incuring the hazard of hopeless indebtedness.' It numbers 50 members, who are assessed at the following rates per annum: man, wife, and children under age, $14.00; woman, and children, under age, $7.00; single man, $6.00; single woman, $5.00. W. E. Ripley, sec'y, 5 Brownell St.
NARRAGANSETT, or 'Nahiggonsik', was the name of the tribe of Algonkin Indians, which, in the early days of the colonies, was the most powerful in New England, and at that time possessed a territory nearly the same as the present State of Rhode Island, giving their name to the beautiful bay. They were friendly to Roger Williams, with whom they made a treaty in 1636, and aided the colonists againset the Pequots. During the war with King Philip, chief sachem of the Pokanoket Indians, they were suspected of giving him support, and were twice attacked; the second time being nearly annihilated. A remnant of the tribe of Narragansetts, numbering 150 in 1877, still remains in Charlestown, R. I.; and here may be seen, on an elevated plateau overlooking the sea, the royal burying ground of this once famous tribe. The Algonkin language, of which the Narragansett was a dialect, was spoken over a large territory, embracing a region running N. and S. from Rhode Island, for some 600 miles. A grammar of their language was printed by Roger Williams in 1643. According to J. Hammond Trumbull, the tribal name was 'Nanhigganeuck', as Roger Williams wrote it. Narragaset means place, not people, -- denotes 'people of the point', from their original location, near Point Judith Pond, and its W. branch, Fresh Pond.
NARRAGANSETT BAY extends N. 28 miles into the State of Rhode Island.
Its climate is mild, as compared with the rest of New England; and it has
many attractions in its numerous shore resorts, valuable fisheries, and
points of historical interest. It receives the Providence, Pawtuxet,
Warren, Taunton, and Apponaug Rivers; the last two through their estuaries,
Mount Hope Bay and Greenwich, or Cowesett, Bay. The islands of Rhode
Island and Canonicut divide it at its mouth; forming three passages for
vessels, known as the E., W., and Middle Passages. The E. passage
is also called Seaconnet River. On Narragansett waters was committed
the first hostile act against the British goverment [sic], when, in 1769,
the Newport people sank his Majesty's armed sloop 'Liberty', and burned
her boats; and here, at Gaspee Point, was shed the first blood in the Revolutionary
War, at the capture and destruction of the British schooner 'Gaspee', by
Providence and Bristol men, in 1772. In
summer, when the bay is filled with sailing craft of every description, from the stanch and handsome steamers down to dingy but suggetive fishing-dories and oyster-boats, a sail between its green banks, adorned on every hand with picturesque cottages and villas, pavilions, and hotels, is an enjoyment not be be forgotten.
NARRAGANSETT BOAT-CLUB, org. 1838, incorporated 1871, was originally composed of young business and professional men, many of whom have since held important offices in the State and Nation. The membership still consists of the same classes. The club had a boat-house at the head of Hopkins and Pomroy's wharf, foot of Orange St., but sold it at auction Sept. 27, 1882. This old building was originally located on the Seekonk, and was towed in two sections from there to its late position. A two-story front was then added, the second floor of which was the club-room. It is intended to build a new house on the Seekonk in 1883, at a cost of about $5,000. The number of boats belonging to the club is about 20, including single and crew boats. Officers are, -- prest., A. C. Tingley; vice-prest., Samuel Ames; captain, Edward H. Tingley; lieutenant, Clarence H. Gardner; sec'y, Nelson S. Davis; treasurer, Wm. D. Nisbet.
NARRAGASETT CLUB. -- In 1865 George T. Paine and several other gentlemen associated themselves under the above title, for the purpose of reprinting the works of, and in relation to, Roger Williams. The first volume was published in 1866, and the sixth and last in 1874; previous to which time, however, the entire management and expense of the undertaking had been assumed by Mr. Paine.
p. 71 - 73.
NARRAGANSETT HOTEL, conducted by Chapin & Robinson, is one of the largest, grandest, best furnished, and most satisfactorily kept hotels in the world. It is one of the most imposing structures of any kind in Providence and is situated in the heart of the city. Surrounded by smaller buildings, it stands forth as a huge and majestic building, commanding the attention of every visitor. It is 8 stories high on the inner court, although only 7 stories are seen from the street. It fronts on Broad, Dorrance, and Eddy Sts.; the frontage being respectively 134, 181, and 184 ft. The exterior is plain and substantial, of Trenton pressed brick; the lower story, the window-cappings, and the ornaments being of iron. The interior, however, while equally substantial, is not at all plain, although every thing is in excellent taste. There are three entrances, one on Dorrance St., another on Eddy St., and the third on Broad St. The main entrance, 17 ft. wide, is about midway on Dorrance St., and opens directly to the main staircase hall, which is 30 ft. by 67 ft. and 29 ft. high, the ceiling forming an immense skylight. An open court, 30 by 150 ft., occupies the whole centre of the building. These dimensions give some idea of the generous proportions of this hotel; for in few hotels anywhere have the rooms, parlors, dining-halls, chambers, etc., been made so large and high as those in the Narragansett. All of the Dorrance-st. front on the second floor is devoted to delightful parlors. The grand dining-hall is 40 by 90 ft., and 27 ft. high. The chambers are supplies with every modern convenience, most of them having baths and closets adjoining, and all having open grates, with marble mantles. The ventilation has been specially provided for. The 225 rooms are admirable furnished and thoroughly taken care of. The hotel is provided with elevators, telegraph and telephone offices, barber-shops, and every other convenience usual to leading hotels. The lunch-room is the finest and most frequented of its class. The hotel was begun in 1874, and finished in 1878, at a cost of almost $1,000,000. The architect was Wm. R. Walker. It was begun by the Narragansett Hotel Co., chartered in 1854. After $680,000 had been invested, the property was bought by Geo. R. Phillips. A new co., the Wheaton Hotel Co., was then org'd under an old charter dating back to 1854; and the hotel was finished a few years afterward, creditably to all concerned. Both managers are men of considerable experience in first-class hotels. Edwin Chapin has been prominently identified with such hotels as the Fifth-avenue of New York, the Delavan of Albany, the Continental of Philadelphia, the Tremont and the Revere of Boston, the Occidental of San Francisco, etc. M. P. Robinson, although a young man, is widely and favorably known as a genial and competent host; having made an extensive acquaintance with the travelling public at the Massasoit House at Springfield, the Kennard at Cleveland, the Tremont House and the Hotel Brunswick of Boston, and latterly at the Narragansett, where he and Mr. Chapin have been associated for the past two years. Every thing considered, Providence can well boast of her grand hotel; for no city of its size has one which equals, and few cities of any size have hotels to surpass, the Narragansett. The Wheaton Hotel Co., owners of the Narragansett Hotel, is composed chiefly of wealthy citizens of Rhode Island; the president being Ex.-Gov. Henry Lippitt, one of the best known citizens of Providence.
NARRAGANSETT TROTTING-PARK is in the town of Cranston, bet. W. Elmwood and the Cranston Print Works. It has a good track and extensive grounds. The annual fairs of the Society for the Encouragement of Domestic Industry are held here; and twice - in 1867 and 1873 - the New England Agricultural Society held its fairs on these grounds.
NARRAGANSETT YACHT-CLUB, incorporated at the January session of the State Legislature, 1882, is composed of a number of wealthy Providence gentlemen and others, whose object is to increase the interest in yachting matters, and to bring the advantages of Narragansett Bay to the notice of yachtmen in general. The club has a landing at Newport, and a landing and club-house on Conanicut Island, Narragansett Bay. 12 or 15 schooner yachts, and about the same number of sloops, belong to the club, some of them being New-York yachts. The officers are Henry Lippitt, com.; Chas. W. Lippitt, treas.; Geo. Lewis Gower, sec'y; J. P. Earl, rear-com.
NATURAL HISTORY. -- See Franklin Society.
NATURAL - HISTORY STORE of Southwick & Jencks is the only one in Rhode Island. In some respects it one of the most noteworthy places of its class in America. For instance, here is offered for sale the largest assortment of skins of North-American birds offered anywhere; and in birds' eggs there is an almost unequalled collection. In all departments of natural history, such as minerals, birds, dried grasses and flowers, shells, and various natural curiosities, a large and interesting exhibit is always to be seen. A specialty is made of stuffing birds. The business was established in 1876 by the present firm, and is carried on at No. 258 Westminster St.
NEUTAKONKANUT HILL, or, as called in the title-deed given by the Narragansetts to Roger Williams, 'Ye Great Hill of Notquonckanet', is an eminence just beyond the terminus of the Plainfield-st. route of horse-cars. It is not difficult of ascent; and from its summit a magnificent view is obtained, extending eastward as far as Prospect Hill, and N. and S. from Pawtucket to Fall River. With a field-glass it is said that Mt. Wachuset is visible. Neutakonkanut Hill may be seen from Prospect Terrace. This hill has lately been divided into house-lots, and access from Plainfield St. is now forbidden.
NEW ENLGAND MANUFACTURING JEWELLERS' ASSOCIATION is the name adopted, April 3, 1882, by the Providence Jewellers' Club, an organization formed in 1879, not merely for the promotion of social enjoyment, but to advance and protect the jewelry manufacturing and kindred interests. The new rooms of the association are in the Wilcox Building, Weybosset St., and are open to non-member residents of the city, from 9 A.M. to 6 P.M. on Mondays only. Regular business meetings are held on the first Saturday in each month. The society numbers nearly 200 members. John A. McCloy, sec'y.
NEWMARKET, plain, and unmodified by Sq. or St., similar to 'Cornhill' in London or Boston, is a name applied to the triangular space formed by the junc. of High, Broad, and Chestnut Sts. Its name is derived from the old Market Building which stands there. The Central Baptist and Beneficent Congregational churches front on this space.
The Newport County Reading Room Index More Biographies & History .