This section contains articles of genealogical and historic interest on Rhode Island in general, from old Rhode Island books and newspapers.
Biographical sketches, "Town of Pawtucket"
p. 97-98: JOHN FRANCIS ADAMS, manufacturer, was born in the village of Central Falls, December 17th, 1838. He began business for himself after graduating from high school in 1856, by entering the Slater National Bank as clerk. In 1859 he became bookkeeper for the Allendale Manufacturing Company of Providence. On December 8th, 1862, he married Kate J., daughter of Rufus J. Stafford, the well known manufacturer. In 1862 he became a member of the firm of Adams & Randall, manufacturers of cotton yarns. This company was afterward merged into the Hope Thread Company, of which Mr. Adams was treasurer for a period of ten years. In 1864 Mr. Adams purchased the Lanesville Manufacturing property, at Lanesville, Mass. Since 1882 he has confined his business attentions wholly to that place. He is a public spirited gentleman, and did much toward improving the village, and by a vote of the people, the name of the place was changed in honor of him to Adamsdale. He manufactures a fine grade of cotton yarns, and does a business of about $75,000 a year.
In 1874, under the act of consolidation of the town of North Providence and Pawtucket, Mr. Adams became a member of the town council, and was reelected in 1875. Previous to 1874 he served the old town of Pawtucket as town councilman, and also as auditor. he was subsequently a member of the school board for six years. In the Masonic fraternity he is a member in high standing, and has held a number of prominent positions. He was one of the charter members of the Barney Merry Lodge, No. 29, and was its second master. He has held various offices in the Royal Arch Chapter, in the council of Royal and Select Masters, and also in the Commandery of Knights Templar. He was for three years successively grand master of the Grand Council of the State of Rhode Island. When about 18 years of age he became a member of the Congregational Church, and has been one of the trustees of the Pawtucket Congregational Church since 1871. Mr. Adams is passionately fond of music, and is proficient on the organ and piano. In early life he began the study of music under excellent teachers, but has learned more since by his own study and observation. En-rapport with the subject, he has written some music and has arranged some, but considers it more profitable to confine his attentions to the study of the old masters. For the past twenty years he has been organist and musical director for the Pawtucket Congregational Church, and before that time held similar positions in various churches in Central Falls, Pawtucket, and Providence. Mr. Adams resides on Broadway, in an elegant mansion erected by him in 1868. He is a highly cultured gentleman, very social in his habits, and enjoys the luxuries and home comforts of a Christian life.
p. 98-102: The ARNOLD FAMILY - The greater number of the families residing in the towns of Pawtucket and Lincoln of the above name are descended from Thomas Arnold. Two brothers, William and Thomas by name, natives of Cheselbourne, Dorset County, England, sailed from Dartmouth, England, in 1635, in the ship "Plain Joan," bringing their families with them. The younger, Thomas, was born in 1599, and first settled in Watertown, Mass., but came to Providence October 17th, 1661. His first wife's name is unknown, and of his three children by this marriage two died in infancy. The other married John Farnum. His second wife was Phebe Parkhurst, and their children were: Ichabod, who died young; Richard; Thomas, who died single; John, Eleazer and Elizabeth, married Samuel Comstock. The English ancestors of Thomas were as follows: he was the son of Thomas, who was the son of Richard, who was the son of Richard, who was the son of Thomas, a son of Roger. Thomas died in September, 1674. Richard, son of Thomas, was born March 22nd, 1642, and died April 22nd, 1710. His first wife was Mary Angell and their children were: Richard, John, Thomas and Mary, who married Thomas Steere. Richard's second wife was Sarah ______ . John, son of Richard, was born November 1st, 1670, and for his first wife married Mary Mowry, and had the following family: William, John, Daniel, Mercy(married a Lapham), Anthony (emigrated to New York State), Seth, Israel, Anna (married Benjamin Paine), Susanna (married John Melavory), and Abigail (married Abner Bartlett). John married for his second wife Hannah Hayward, and died October 27th, 1756. Seth, son of John, was born September 6th, 1706. He was identified with Woonsocket, and was a miller. He was noted for his height, being 6 feet 4 inches tall. His first wife was Hannah Aldrich and their children were: Levi, Seth, Hannah, Abigail, all of whom died young; Nathan, Levi and Seth. His second wife was Mary Cargill and her children were: George, removed to Vermont; Phebe, married Luke Arnold; James, left no male issue; and Anthony, who died leaving no issue. Seth died in 1801. Nathan, son of Seth, was born October 18th, 1733. He resided in Cumberland, and was captain of a company at the battle of Rhode Island. He married Lucy Cargill and his children were Samuel, Elisha and Nathan.
Nathan, son of Nathan, married Esther Darling. He lived in Cumberland on what is now the Warren J. Ballou farm. His children were: Nathan, Lucy, married Nathan Ballou; Esther, Nancy, married Smith Daniels; Seth and Amos. Seth, son of Nathan, was born in 1799 and died in November, 1883. His first wife was Belinda Streeter and their children were: Fannie E., wife of William H. Hathaway; Olney; George, died young; Lucy, a maiden lady, resides in Pawtucket; William G., Alexander S. and Henry M. Seth's second wife was Abbie Tillinghast, by whom he had one child, Seth. William G., son of Seth, was born June 11th, 1827, and married Lucy M. Aldrich. Their children are: William Henry, Olney, Charles Freemont, died young, and Flora Ellis, wife of George H. Whitman. William G. is conveyancer for the First National Bank of Pawtucket.
Thomas Arnold, son of Richard, son of Thomas, was born March 24th, 1675, and died February 3rd, 1727. He married Elizabeth Burlingame, and their children were: Job, Jonathan, Mary, Thomas, Elizabeth, died single, and Sarah. Job, son of Thomas, was born in the year 1707, and had the following sons: Stephen, Oliver, Abraham, Job and Isaac. Oliver, son of Job, was born April 12th, 1752, and married a Harris. The children of this marriage were: Isaac, who emigrated to Marion, N.Y., Oliver, died four years of age; Martin, died without issue; Sabra, a maiden lady, and Preserved. Preserved, son of Oliver, was born June 10th, 1788, and died July 10th, 1828. His wife was Betsey, daughter of Jeremiah Whipple, and their children were: Louisa, widow of Emery M. Potter, resides in Lincoln; Cornelia, died single; Lucy Dexter, died in infancy; Hannah Bowen, died 10 years of age, and Preserved Whipple, born June 26th, 1828, married Anna Harris, has no children and resides in Lincoln.
Eleazer Arnold, son of Thomas, was born June 17th, 1651, and married Eleanor Smith. Their children were: Phebe,married Thomas Smith; Elizabeth, married a Smith;Eleazer, Joseph, John, died single; Jeremiah, Eleanor, died single; Mary, married George Thomas; Abigail, married John Mann; and Deborah. Eleazer died August 29th, 1722. Joseph, son of Eleazer, was born in 1678 and died November 4th, 1746. His first wife was Mercy Stafford, and the children of this marriage were: Eleazer, Joseph, Benjamin, Amos, Elizabeth, Caleb, Eleazer, Deborah, Joshua, Nathan, Stukely and Mercy, twins, and Samuel; in all thirteen children. Joshua, son of Joseph, was born July 14th, 1729, was married to Amy Bensley, and their children were: Amy, who married Thomas Bucklin; Ruth, married Stephen Jenks; Sarah, married Stephen Jenks; Israel, and George, died aged 14 years. Israel, son of Joshua, was born November 1st, 1754, and married for his first wife Deborah Olney. The children by this marriage were: Ada, who married Benjamin Jenckes; Amy, married first a Sheldon, second a Brown; Olney; Mercy, married Thomas Bucklin; Joshua; Mary, married Joseph Wilkinson; George; Anna, married Welcome Comstock; Israel and Jeremiah. Israel's second wife was Catherine Jenckes, by whom he had two sons, Jenckes and Joseph. He died June 27th, 1840.
Olney Arnold, son of Israel, was born October 27th, 1780, and departed this life May 29th, 1849. His first wife was Eunice, by whom he had the following children: Thomas J.; John, died single; Daniel, left no male issue; Emeline, married Daniel Hill; Angeline, married twice (those two were twins); Eunice, married Varanus Walker, Sylvan, Mahala D, Mary J. and Amy. The last three were triplets, the first two died in infancy, the other died a maiden lady. Olney's second wife was the widow Norton. Her maiden name was Susan Lyons. Their children were: Jacob; Sarah, married Andrew Miller; Mary, married George W. Beal; Rebecca and Susan, both married John B. Le Craw; Elizabeth, died single; Olney, and Deborah and Pardon, both died young. This family consisted of 19 children, the largest, it is believed, ever raised in Smithfield. Jacob, son of Olney, was born in 1816, and died July 22nd, 1872. He married Adaline Pidge. Their children are: Albert P., a resident of Vineland, N.J., and Benjamin O., born February 8th, 1842, married Rhoda Adams, and has one child, Harriet Adaline. He is a farmer and resides in Lincoln. Olney, son of Olney, has two sons: Edward M. and Francis S. He resides in Pawtucket. Edward M., son of Olney, born July 11th, 1856, married Alma J. Heaton and has two children: Chester Edward and Edith Mabel. He is proprietor of the Pawtucket Renovating Works.
Joshua Arnold, son of Israel, was born August 20th, 1784, and married Silence, daughter of Eleazer Whipple, and had the following family: Eliza, married first Arthur Whipple, second a Thornton,and lives in Lincoln; Horace, deceased; Sylvan, deceased, married George O. Smith; Miranda, widow of William Spaulding , of Lincoln; Adam, Hannah, widow of Henry Short, of Lincoln; Mary, widow of Raymond Briggs, of Providence. Joshua died October 14th, 1852. Adam, son of Joshua, was born February 14th, 1819, and married for his first wife Eliza Vose, by whom he had one child, Mary Adelaide, who married Samuel Crandall. Adam's second wife was Melissa L. Wadsworth. He is a blacksmith by trade and resides in Lincoln.
George Arnold, son of Israel, was born March 21st, 1788, and died February 8th, 1863. He married Lydia Fisher, and their children were: Stella Ann, who married Louis Lapham; James A.; Lydia, married George Talbot; Julia Maria; George Taft, deceased; Olney, deceased, and Waldo Fisher, died in infancy. His second wife was Sarah Ann Brown and their children were: Frances Eliza and Louisa Amelia, who died in infancy. James A., son of George, was born September 1st, 1816, and married Bertha Marchant. Their children are William Taft and Sarah Frances, wife of Charles Long. James A. is a resident of Pawtucket.
Israel Arnold, son of Israel, was born in 1792, and departed this life November 2nd, 1864. He married Abbie Brown and their children were: Elizabeth, who died young; Susan, deceased, married David Angell, of Cumberland; Abby Elizabeth, married for her first husband George Weeden, and is now the wife of Alexander Spence, of Brooklyn, NY; Phebe, married first Levi Fitts, second Harvey Anabel, and is now the wife of Emor Cole, of East Greenwich, RI; Louisa, a maiden lady, resides in Lincoln; Jane, wife of John Dermot, lives in Oakland, Cal.; James, died young; Charlotte, married William F. Bibby, of Lincoln; Frederic N., resides in Dayton, Ohio; Albert, a resident of Boston, Mass.; Richard, died leaving no issue; Israel, and George Aborn, died young. Israel, son of Israel, was born November 22nd, 1840, married Anna C. Hardenburgh, and has the following children: Chapin T., Amy L, and Israel Garfield. He is a resident of Lincoln.
Jenckes Arnold, son of Israel, was born October 2nd, 1803, and married Mary LeCraw. Their children are: Benjamin Harrison, Joseph Jenckes and Edmund Bowdoin. Jenckes departed this life October 11th, 1887. His widow survives him in her 84th year. Benjamin and Edmund are bachelors, and reside on the old homestead in Lincoln. Joseph Jenckes, son of Jenckes, was born October 14th, 1844, and married Mary Alice Whittle. His children are: William E., Frederic W. and Ernest J. He is engaged in the baking business at Saylesville, RI.
Samuel Arnold, son of Joseph, son of Eleazer, son of Thomas, was born July 12th, 1736, and married Elizabeth Arnold. Their children were: Benjamin, John, Abigail, Anna, Richard (the last three died single), Samuel, Elizabeth, married Christopher Brown; Mercy, married George Smith, and Jonathan. The two last were twins. Jonathan, son of Samuel was born August 16th, 1778, and departed this life July 15th, 1852. He married Abby Randall and their children were: John, died single; Maria, a maiden lady, resides in Lincoln; Mercy, married Tillie Raymond, of Worcester, Mass.; Elizabeth, widow of Doctor Warren Cooke, resides in Lincoln; Samuel and James, both died single; Louisa, married George Green and lives in Lincoln, and Christopher, died young.
There are other families of Arnolds resident of Pawtucket and Lincoln
who are undoubtedly descended from the two brothers William and Thomas,
that came from England in 1635. Their early ancestors located in other
parts of Rhode Island, but their descendants have returned and become identified
with the business interests of Providence County. Among these we mention
John A. Arnold was born in Providence January 18th, 1851, and was the son of Thomas, who was the son of John. John A. married Emily E. Foster and has one child, Fred A. He is secretary of the Conant Thread Company.
James Arnold, son of Samuel, was born in Attleboro, Mass., October 12th, 1809. he married Evelyn Marchant and had seven children: Eliza, deceased, married Sanford E. Holmes; Julia, deceased, married Daniel W. Ashton; Louisa, deceased, married Albert Bowen; William M., died young; William J.; Sarah, wife of Thomas D. Elsbree, of Valley Falls, RI, and Amos D. James died December 31st, 1882. William J., son of James, was born in Pawtucket August 12th, 1842, and married Molly M. McQuiston. They had one child, William J., who died at the age of 19 years. He is a machinist and resides in Pawtucket. Amos D., son of James, was born in Pawtucket November 29th, 1855. By his wife, Margaret L., he had three children: May Louisa, James Amos and Rose Cleveland. He resides in Pawtucket.
Samuel W. Arnold was born in Coventry, RI., August 3rd, 1833, and married Mary, daughter of Olney Matteson, of Coventry. They have no children. he resided in Coventry till 1865, when he came to Central Falls, where he is now engaged in the coal and wood business. Samuel W.'s father was also Samuel, who was the son of Lowry. Samuel married Juliet, daughter of Doctor Elisha Olney, of Coventry, she being a native of Foster, RI. They had five children: Laura, married John W. Francis, of Chicago; Erastus, died in Providence; George W., lives at Warren, RI; Samuel W. and Mary E., wife of Amos Franklin, of Coventry.
p. 102-104: GENERAL OLNEY ARNOLD, president of the First National Bank, Pawtucket, son of Doctor Seth and Belinda (Streeter) Arnold, was born in Newton, Massachusetts, January 17th, 1822. His early life was spent in Woonsocket. His parents resided there prior to his birth, which event occurred during a brief residence in Newton. His education was obtained in the public schools of Woonsocket and at Bushee's Academy in Smithfield. On attaining manhood he engaged for a while in mercantile pursuits, but in a few years became cashier of a bank in Woonsocket. In 1853 he removed to Pawtucket, on being elected cashier of the People's Bank of that place, and from that time has been prominently identified with many enterprises that have made that city what it is today.
At the organization of the Bank of Mutual Redemption, Boston, in 1855, the office of cashier was tendered him, but declined on account of his business interests at Pawtucket. Upon the establishment of the national banking system, in 1863, General Arnold organized the First National Bank of Pawtucket, the first in the town and the sixth in the state, and became its cashier. In 1865 the people's Bank was merged with it. In 1875 he was elected president, which office he has since retained. He was elected treasurer of the Providence County Savings Bank in 1853,and has continued in that office ever since. In 1868 he was appointed receiver and agent for closing up the affairs of the North Providence Bank, which he successfully accomplished by redeeming all its bills, paying its depositors in full and dividing 79.6 per cent among the stockholders, with less than $50 expense to the bank. The net earnings of the People's Bank, and its successor, the First National bank, have averaged more than 12 per cent, per annum, for nearly 40 years, under Mr. Arnold's management. As financier and manager of trusts, the services of Mr. Arnold have been constantly inrequistion. He has served and is still serving a large number of corporations and societies as treasurer, director and trustee.
About this time he engaged with David Ryder and ex-Governor A.H. Littlefield and a few others in an attempt to perfect the manufacture of hair cloth by power, in which he succeeded after numerous discouragements, in establishing a large and profitable business in that line. He is also managing director in the Cumberland Mills Company and Dexter Yarn Company, does an extensive business in settling estates, and in many ways has been a hard working man.
As a military man, General Arnold has served in nearly every position from private to major general. At the commencement of the rebellion he was appointed one of the aides to Governor Sprague, and was kept constantly at work organizing companies for active service in the field. He was commissioner and superintendent of drafts in this state for the United States. On account of his efficiency and knowledge of military affairs he was retained in the state, and was, during the war, promoted to be major general of the militia. The veterans of the war in this state hold General Arnold in the highest esteem. He is an honorary member of the First and Second Regiment Rhode Island Veteran Associations, also an honorary member of Slocum Post, No. 10, G.A.R.
General Arnold is an old fashioned Jeffersonian democrat, is public spirited, and has served the town in many official capacities. He has been president of the town council, town treasurer, water commissioner, trustee of the schools, trustee of the public library, moderator, auctioneer, etc. In 1846 he was elected a representative to the general assembly from Cumberland, of which the village of Woonsocket was then a part, and he represented that town for several years. He afterward removed to North Providence which, for several years, embraced the village of Pawtucket, and was chosen representative from that town and subsequently named senator. He also held the office of treasurer of North Providence, and was president of the town council. He has been the candidate of his party during the past 40 years for many prominent positions- for governor, U.S. senator, representative in congress, presidential elector, etc.-always in popular elections leading his ticket largely. He has received civil or military commissions from nearly every governor of the state for the last 40 years.
He has been railroad commissioner, commissioner for the organization of state banks, of the state prison and jail, has served on important state committees by appointment of the governor or general assembly, and appointed upon the most prominent committees of both branches of the legislature.
In 1853 General Arnold united with the Universalist church in Pawtucket, and has been president of its national organization, is trustee of its publishing house, treasurer of its state convention, and has been treasurer and trustee of the Pawtucket parish. He is a Mason, and a member of many charitable associations, historical societies and libraries; a leader in all that concerns the welfare of the city. He organized the Pawtucket Electric Lighting Company, and was one of the prominent men who secured the introduction of water works and telegraphic fire alarm. He was chief marshal of the recent Cotton Centennial in Pawtucket. The personal characteristics of General Arnold are a well balanced, clear and vigorous intellect, deliberately formed and conservative judgment, great firmness, marked executive ability, strict adherence to system and method in business, and unquestioned honor and integrity. He is a gentleman of wealth, and uses his income generously in aid of all benevolent and charitable purposes and for the gratification of his strong domestic and literary tastes. On the 23rd of January, 1844, he married Phebe Dudley, of Providence. She is a native of Douglass, Mass. They have no children.
p. 104-106: JAMES S. BROWN was born in Pawtucket, December 23rd, 1802. His paternal ancestor was a Welshman, who, with three other brothers, emigrated from Wales and settled in what is now Cumberland. Here the brothers engaged in mining coal and iron ore, using both in the manufacture of iron. Their furnace was situated in Valley Falls, on the Abbot Run. This business was inherited by Philip, the grandfather of James S. Brown, and carried on by him till his death. After that event one blast was made, and the working of the furnace was given up. Philip's son, Sylvanus, father of James S., was only ten years old at his father's death, and was placed under the care of his great-uncle, a millwright. He worked at this trade till he was 21 years of age, and then engaged in business on his own account until the revolution. He then enlisted in the colonial navy, and served on board the "Alfred" as master of arms, the ship being commanded by William Jones; Ezekiel Hopkins, of North Providence, R.I., being the first commander in chief of the colonial navy. Jones was governor of the state of Rhode Island from 1810 to 1817. Upon closing his naval career Sylvanus Brown went to Providence, and worked at stocking guns in a shop operated by the state. He was next engaged by the governor of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick to superintend the making and putting up of sets of machinery for seven saw mills, and machinery for two grist mills, and he employed on the iron work all the men connected with Stephen Jenks & Sons shop. He remained at St. John, N.B., a year and a half. He then went to Europe, but soon returned to Pawtucket, where he built a house and a shop. In 1790 he constructed machinery, under Mr. Slater's superintendence, for Brown & Almy, and this achievement encouraged the parties to build the Old Slater Mill. In 1792 he invented and used the first slide lathes for turning rolls, by which they were made straight and of uniform size. He also built machines for fluting rolls, which were of great advantage to the business, enabling one man to do the work formerly requiring the labor of six. He was next employed by John Brown, a manufacturer of cannon, to superintend furnaces and boring mills at Scituate, RI, and Easton, Mass. In 1801 he engaged in his own business as a wheelwright, and continued it until his death in 1824.
James S. Brown attended school until his 15th year when he was employed by David Wilkinson, manufacturer of cotton machinery at Pawtucket, in pattern making, having, during his school vacation of the previous year, assisted his father in this department of this business. In 1819 he went to work in the shop of Pitcher & Gay, which was started in 1813 on Main Street, and when Mr. Brown entered it, was the largest manufactory of machinery in Pawtucket. Mr. Brown took Mr. Gay's place in the firm in 1824, and in 1842 purchased his partner's interest, and from that time he carried on a large and successful business in the manufacture of cotton machinery.
In 1820, when he was only 18 years of age, Mr. Brown invented the slide rest used in turning lathes, by which the height of the tool can be adjusted while the lathe is in motion. In 1830 he invented his gear cutter for cutting bevel gears, and in 1838 he patented a machine for boring the passage for the roving through the arm of the long flyer roving machine, and in 1842 his lathe for longitudinally turning bodies of irregular forms. He also devised an improvement in planing machines, so that sixteen rolls, instead of four, may be used. He applied the turning-lathe to the cutting of large screws, six to eight inches long, for clothing, and in 1874 he patented a new machine for spindle grinding. He also made improvements in other machines not used in his own business. He simplified and perfected Sharpe and Robert's self-acting mule, sent to Pitcher & Brown by Bradford Durfee of Fall River, and afterward engaged in the manufacture of these mules. In 1857 he took out a patent for his improvements on the American Speeder, and also manufactured that machine. The demand for these machines was so great that he was compelled to devote the whole force of his shop to them, and to employ for the same purpose nearly the whole force of another large machine shop in the vicinity. In 1862 he built nine of Bennett's machines, with some modifications, for cutting files, for some capitalists of Baltimore, who had bought the right of manufacture and use of them. He put these machines into successful operation. He also invented a machine for grinding file blanks and a furnace for hardening files. During the civil war his improved lathe, originally designed for the turning of rolls for cotton machinery, was employed in turning gun barrels. This, for a time, to a large extent superseded all other work in the shops. Mr. Brown engaged in these various enterprises and inventions for nearly 60 years, and his improvements in machinery have been of great value to the industries to which they have been applied. He died in 1879, aged 77 years. His son, James Brown, succeeded to the business.
p. 106: CHARLES EDWIN CHICKERING, born in Attleboro, Mass., June 14th, 1828, was the only son of Charles and Laura (Fitts) Chickering. On the death of his father, in 1840, his mother removed to Pawtucket. He learned the trade of harness making, and in 1848 commenced to drive stage between Pawtucket and Providence, which he continued ten yrs. He then engaged in general teaming business between these points, which he followed until his death, November 14th, 1888. He married Jane Church. They had four children, two of whom are living, viz., Laura and Fannie R., wife of Walter Barney, of East Providence. Mr. Chickering was overseer of the poor for a number of years, member of legislature several terms, past grand chancellor of K. of P., past grand dictator and past supreme representative of K. of H., a Knight Templar, past grand of Odd Fellows, and one of the organizers of the Royal Order of Good Fellows.
p. 106-108: LUCIUS B. DARLING - The genealogy of the Darlings shows that Dennis Darling came to Mendon, Mass., from Braintree, in the same state, about the year 1680. His wife's maiden name was Hannah Francis. They had several children, one of whom, John Darling, born in 1664, settled in the southern part of Bellingham, Mass., where he was known as "Captain John." He was the father of thirteen children. From "Captain John" sprang the branch of the Darling family to which the subject of this sketch belongs. Samuel seems to have been a favorite name with the Darlings, the great-grandfather, the grandfather, and the father of Lucius all bearing that name, as well as a brother. His mother's maiden name was Margaret Smith. There were eight children, all of them sons, namely: George (deceased), Charles (deceased), Gilbert, Samuel, Jr., Lucius B., Ruel S. (deceased), Edwin and Lyman M. The latter is treasurer of the L. B. Darling Fertilizer Company, at Pawtucket, R.I.,; Edwin is superintendent of the Pawtucket Water Works; Gilbert is a prosperous merchant at Woonsocket, RI., and Samuel, who lives at the Diamond Hill Reservoir, in Cumberland, R.I. , is a farmer. All of the brothers were fine specimens of physical development and good types of the hardy stock of the sons of New England yeomanry.
Lucius was born in Bellingham, Mass., on the 3rd of October, 1827, and remained on his father's farm until he reached manhood, receiving his education at the district school during the winter months. In 1849 he went to Providence, RI, where he stayed one year, and then removed to Pawtucket, which at that time was a village in the town of North Providence, where he has since resided. He began business in Pawtucket in 1852, and from that time until the present it has steadily increased, an extensive branch being located in Chicago, Ill. In 1883 the business in Pawtucket was incorporated under the name of L. B. Darling Fertilizer Company, Mr. Darling being president, and which position he still holds. He has been a director in the Pacific National Bank of Pawtucket for 25 years, and its vice president for a long period. In 1867 he was chosen a director of the Pawtucket Gas Company, and in 1880 its president, which office he still holds. Since 1876 he has been a director of the Swan Point Cemetery corporation, and president of the board from 1879. He is also a director in the Pawtucket Mutual Fire Insurance Company, the Pawtucket Institution for Savings and the Pawtucket Street Railway Company. He is a thorough-going business man, and is connected with various other institutions and organizations of a practical character.
Mr. Darling has served his town, city and state in numerous public capacities. He represented the old town of North Providence in the lower branch of the general assembly in 1861-2-3, and served as a member of the town council and school committee for a number of years. He is a member of the state board of education. Twice he was appointed by the governor one of the harbor commissioners, and at the present time he is a chairman of the board of the water commissioners of Pawtucket and president of the Business Men's Association of that city, an organization which embraces in its membership very many of the leading citizens of Pawtucket and the adjoining village of Central Falls. Mr. Darling is also the sole owner of the Music Hall building, on Main Street, one of the handsomest and most substantial business structures in Pawtucket.
In politics Mr. Darling is a pronounced republican, and for two successive years (1885 and 1886) he was elected lieutenant governor of Rhode Island, the Hon. George Peabody Wetmore, of Newport, holding first position on the ticket. Of Mr. Darling it may be truly said concerning all the public position which he has held, that when he has consented to be a candidate it has been because he yielded to the persuasions of others, to the disregard of his own personal preferences.
Mr. Darling has traveled extensively in his own country, as well as in Europe, and in his delightful home on Walcott Street are many works of art, which have been gathered from time to time in the various lands which he has visited. Of pleasing address, agreeable in manners, courteous in bearing and "given to hospitality," his circle of acquaintance is largely extended. He is thoroughly identified with the interests of the community in which he has so long resided, and where he has reached a high and honorable position by reason of his uprightness of character, his unbounded energy and his sterling common sense.
He married November 4th, 1847, Angeline H. Armington. They have had six children: Mary E., Ada E., Lovinia, Ira C., Lucius B.,Jr., and Byron(deceased).
p. 108-111: SIMON WILLARD DEXTER, manufacturer, and son of Captain N. G. B. Dexter, the founder of the Dexter Yarn Company's business, was born in Pawtucket July 25th, 1820. He is a descendent of Reverend Gregory Dexter, an associate of Roger Williams, and a grandson of Nathaniel Balch Dexter, of Grafton, Massachusetts, who was a tailor by trade, and who came to Pawtucket in 1798. Nathaniel B. Dexter married a daughter of Simon Willard, of Boston, the great clock maker. He removed to Providence in 1830, where he died in 1832. His brother John settled in the town of Cumberland, was a judge of the court many years, and died there at the age of 96 years. Daniel S., another brother, commanded a regiment of colored soldiers in the war of 1812, and died in his 95th year. Thomas, Horace and Horatio, sons of Nathaniel B. Dexter, went to Florida. Nathaniel G.B. came to Pawtucket. The Reverend Gregory Dexter was born in Olney, England, in the year 1610. He was a Baptist minister at London, was a highly cultured gentleman, and the transatlantic correspondent of Roger Williams. In 1643, when Williams went to England to procure the first charter for the infant colony, he took with him Mr. Dexter's manuscript of his "Directory of the Indian Language," and on the voyage arranged it for being printed, and in that same year (1643) Mr. Dexter printed the first edition of it at London. In 1644 Mr. Dexter joined Williams at Providence, where he afterward became a distinguished character in the colony. He was one of the parties named in the charter of 1663, and for a number of years was one of the assistants under the authority granted in that charter. He had been well educated, held various offices, and especially many positions where, in the general paucity of mental cultivation, he was so much needed. He was also the fourth pastor of the First Baptist Church in Providence, having been called to succeed Reverend Mr. Wickenden about 1650. He was the first accomplished printer that came to this country, and he printed with his own hand the first almanac for the meridian of Rhode Island. This forefather of the Dexter family died in the year 1700. His first house was a log house, which was destroyed by the Indians in 1676. In this King Philip's war two of his grandchildren were rendered orphans.
Nathaniel G. B. Dexter, commonly known as Captain Dexter, the father of the subject of this sketch, was fifth in descent from Reverend Gregory Dexter, and was the only one of the six descendants of that forefather bearing the name of Gregory who ever lived to marry. He was born at Grafton, Massachusetts, in 1788, and in 1798 removed to Pawtucket with his father's family. He never went to school, but was educated by his parents. He was the especial favorite of Samuel Slater, the first manufacturer of cotton yarns by machinery in America, and early entered the counting room as his clerk, and subsequently became the superintendent of the mills. He was strictly temperate from his youth. Using his own words, he says: "Well, mother, I've seen a man trying to walk and couldn't go because they said he was drunk; and I have inquired into it and come to an agreement with myself to never drink one drop of anything that I know has any drunk in it." And he kept that agreement till his death, which occurred April 8th, 1866.
Captain Dexter opened the first Sunday school in the United States, under Samuel Slater's direction, and taught it himself. The scholars were the children who worked in the cotton mill. In 1808 he was married to Amey, daughter of Jerahmeel Jencks, of Pawtucket, Rhode Island. In 1858 he celebrated with his wife the fiftieth anniversary of his wedding, and among the hundreds of his descendants and friends present were two other couples giving additional interest to the occasion. Reverend David Benedict, D. D., who married Captain Dexter 50 years before, was present with his wife; and Captain Josiah Jones, Esq., who with his own fingers set the types that announced the wedding in a paper, was present, also with his wife. The parties above mentioned also celebrated their golden anniversary in the year 1858. Captain Dexter was for many years a manufacturer of cotton yarn on an extensive scale. In 1855 this business was given up to his two sons, and in 1866 this patriarch of the whole American system of Sunday schools passed to his reward.
Simon W. Dexter received his education from the public schools of Pawtucket. When 15 years of age he decided upon learning the trade of a jeweler. To this end he entered the shop of Joseph Martin of Providence, in 1835, and remained with him till 1841. He worked for different firms in Providence and Boston, closing his career in this line of business when in the employ of Jonathan Sweet. In 1842 he left Boston for Pawtucket, going into the shoe business on Main Street. In 1843 he formed a partnership with F. S. Eddy, under the firm name of Dexter & Eddy. In the year following he gave up the shoe business and went into his father's mill, and then it was he began the career of his life, and one which has distinguished him as a manufacturer throughout the whole country. His father's business had by this time grown to considerable proportions. It was now extended under the Dexter Brothers to meet the exigencies of the trade, but in that expansion a great revulsion occurred, and in 1876 a great loss was sustained. A mammoth foundation for a great industry, however, was laid by Mr. Dexter and his brother, who had done a business of from six hundred thousand to a million of dollars annually, and in 1880 the Dexter Yarn Company was incorporated, since which time the business has gradually expanded, having now an enviable reputation. Mr. Dexter has retired from the more active pursuits of a business life, but is still a stockholder of the company. His son, Samuel F. Dexter, is secretary and general manager of the company.
Mr. Dexter is a quiet, unassuming man. He has used his money freely for the good of the poor, is known for the probity of his character, and for the uprightness of a long and successful business career. He is public spirited, but no politician. He was married in 1842 to Ann Eliza, daughter of Samuel B. and Hannah Bowen, of Attleboro, Massachusetts. She died in 1883. Four children were born to them, two of whom are living: Emma, now the wife of Edward Thayer, and Samuel F., above mentioned. August 17th, 1884, Mr. Dexter married his present wife, Rose Maria Conley, a most estimable lady, and a daughter of Thomas and Catharine (Rush) Conley, who came from England in 1853.
Samuel Francis Dexter, son of Simon W., born in Pawtucket September 3rd, 1847, married Fannie, daughter of Doctor James L. Wheaton, and has three children: Nathaniel Wheaton, Fannie W., and M. Anthony.
Samuel Slater Dexter, son of Nathaniel G. B., was born in Pawtucket April 8th, 1827. His first wife was Elvira Crowell, by whom he had one child, Sarah Frances, wife of Heber J. Graham, of Central Falls. His second wife was Sarah Howland, and the children by this marriage are: Nelly, died aged 4 months; Charles, Nathaniel G. B., and Maud, wife of Duncan A. Cattanach.
Waterman T. Dexter, son of Nathaniel B., born in Grafton, Mass., June 28th, 1790, married Fannie, daughter of James Orne, of Attleboro, Mass. Their children were: Horatio, Ann E. B., wife of Caleb Ingraham, resident of East Providence; George Thomas, Fannie Orne, wife of Abner D. Horr, resides in Providence; Waterman W., Henry B., Sarah L., wife of Ray W. Potter, resides in Brooklyn, N.Y., and Caroline Reed, a single lady residing in Providence. He died April 9th, 1870. Waterman W., son of Waterman T., was born in North Providence, now Pawtucket August 8th, 1824, and married Mary J., daughter of Captain Halsey Baker of Fall River. His children by this marriage were: Grace A., who died young; Clara W., wife of George A. Luther of Pawtucket; Herbert C., born February 29th, 1852, married Ida Bishop and has one child; Florence, resides in Chicago, Ill.; Annie G., wife of C.M. Farnum, of Chicago, Ill.; Frank Gregory, born December 8th, 1856, married Stella Manning, has one child Earl, resides in Brooklyn, New York; Fred W., born March 8th, 1859, married Agnes E. Muir, of Providence, is engaged in the jewelry business in Pawtucket; and Edgar M., born May 14th, 1861, married Annie Baker. Waterman W. was for a number of years engaged in the jewelry business in Pawtucket, but now carries on an insurance business. He married for his second wife Caroline J. Baker.
Henry Bowers, son of Waterman T., born in Pawtucket, March 27th, 1827, married Emily, daughter of John Campbell. They had but one child, Kate Bowers, wife of Albert H. Stearns, of Boston, Mass.
p. 111: JOHN D. EARLE. Of those whom we can mention in the highest terms, John Dexter Earle is one not to be forgotten. He was born in Providence July 8th, 1837, son of George B. and Cornelia (Rhodes) Earle. He was a descendent of Ralph Earle, who came from Exeter, England, in early colonial days, and settled at Portsmouth, R.I. His father was for many years engaged in the express business, first known as Earle's Express. Mr. Earle's education was obtained in the common schools and at Lyon & Tree's Academy. He began business life in the employ of his father. Afterward, but before the establishment of the national banking system, he acted as bank messenger, carrying the exchanges between the Merchant's Bank of Providence and the Suffolk Bank of Boston. This position he held for a number of years. In 1865 he was offered a position as agent for the Adams Express Company at Pawtucket, and took charge of that office in October 1865, increasing the business to such an extent, in a few years, as to make himself almost indispensable to the company.
The firm of Earle & Prew's Express was formed in 1867, and in 1870 Mr. Earle became a partner of that concern, and shortly afterward assumed the duties of treasurer, besides acting as agent at Pawtucket, holding the treasurership until shortly before his death. He received a commission from Governor Sprague in 1861 as colonel of the National Cadets of Providence, and was a member of the What Cheer Lodge of Masons. He was also a member of the Templar order, and was connected with the Knights of Pythias and other secret organizations, and was one of the members of the Water Witch Sixes of Providence, in the volunteer fire department. For years he was one of the trustees of the Pawtucket Institution for Savings, president of the Heaton Button Fastener and the Standard Button Companies, and also a prominent member of the Business Men's Association, and the Expressman's Mutual Benefit Association.
Mr. Earle resided in Pawtucket a score or more of years, and was always very much interested in town affairs, taking a prominent part in all important matters that arose, and serving as senator in the general assembly. He was married, December 30th, 1862, at New York City, to Emily C., daughter of Joshua and Margaret L.Wilbour, formerly of Pawtucket. They had three children: Emily Wilbour, John Dexter, and James Lloyd. The latter died while quite young, Emily W. is now the wife of Charles H. Porter, of Rockford, Ill., and John Dexter is employed by the Rockford Cabinet Company. Mr. Earle was equable in his temperament, and held a high social position. His chief pleasure, however, was the enjoyment of his home and family. At his death, which occurred February 6th, 1887, he left behind many staunch friends, and the associations of which he was a member all sent resolutions of sympathy to Mrs. Earle.
p. 112: LEWIS FAIRBROTHER , son of Jarvis and Betsey (Field) Fairbrother, was born in North Providence, now a part of Pawtucket, August 2nd, 1812. His father was a native of Rehoboth, Mass., and was an excellent machinist. He removed from his native town and prosecuted his business in North Providence, and probably assisted in the manufacture, setting up and starting of the first machinery ever placed in the Old Slater Mill. His wife was the daughter of Hon. John Field. They had seven children: John, Lewis, Betsey, Samuel, Phineas, Nathaniel, and Mary (who died young). Lewis received a good education, by spending a few weeks each year in the common schools, and subsequently at the Wilbraham Academy, where he studied one year. He was also a member of the Sunday school in his early boyhood, which was instituted by the famous Samuel Slater, who was the first to introduce cotton spinning into this country successfully by power, which industry was commenced in the town of North Providence in the year 1790. When Mr. Fairbrother was a boy he commenced work at about eight years of age in Mr. Slater's mill, now called the Old Slater Mill.
In the general assembly of 1888 an act was passed incorporating the Fairbrother Belting Company, Lewis Fairbrother, treasurer. The house was established in 1834 by the Hon. Lewis Fairbrother, who commenced business in a building measuring about 30 by 15 feet. He had learned the art of tanning in Attleboro, Mass., and began business in Pawtucket, RI, then only a small village, with only one vat, making picker and lace leather. A few years later he entered upon the manufacture of leather belting and other kinds of leather for factory uses. Purchasing the hides, he tanned and finished them for various purposes, as stated. He has contributed largely to the development of the city of Pawtucket and the state.
In 1855 he was elected representative to the general assembly, and again in 1856, serving two years as chairman of the house committee on corporations. In 1857 he was elected to the state senate, and reelected in 1858, 1859, and 1860, and again in 1864, here, as in the house, serving all the time as chairman of the committee on corporations. For many years he was agent for the management of the Providence and Pawtucket Turnpike, and set many of the trees on that thoroughfare, and for one season had the track watered. In the erection of the solid stone bridge at Pawtucket Falls, by order of the state of Rhode Island and the towns of North Providence and Pawtucket in 1858, he was chairman of the commissioners. During the rebellion, besides otherwise aiding the Union cause, he was the committee of the town for distributing thousands of dollars for the relief and comfort of the families of the soldiers, aiding about a hundred and fifty families. He was president of the Slater Bank (now the Slater National Bank) at its organization and for many years after. In the old North Providence Bank he was a director, and is now a director in the Slater Cotton Company. In 1866 he was appointed by the state an inspector of the state prison, and served in that office eleven years. In every position in life he has been valued for his talents, stability, judgment and faithfulness. His son, Henry L., on reaching maturity, was received by him as partner in business, and remained interested in the business until his demise in 1886. Coming as he did from noble ancestors, he was a noble scion of the house of Fairbrother. In politics he was conservative; in business, he was honorable and honored; to the humble poor he was charitable, as thousands can testify who now honor his beloved memory. This is the oldest picker and lace leather establishment in Rhode Island, and the oldest in the United States, save one in Massachusetts, where Mr. Fairbrother learned the art of tanning.
p. 142a-142b: BENJAMIN FESSENDEN.- Benjamin Fessenden was born in Sandwich, Barnstable County, Mass., on the 13th of June, 1797. His father, William Fessenden, a man of sterling character, learned the art of printing in New York and Philadelphia; subsequently he removed to Sandwich, where he married Martha Freeman and engaged in mercantile business. His grandfather and great grandfather, of the same name with himself, were graduates of Harvard University, and his great grandfather was a Congregational clergyman. His mother was a daughter of General Nathaniel Freeman, a colonel in the revolution, and afterward a brigadier-general in the militia. His mother's brother, Nathaniel, was a graduate of Harvard University, and became a judge of the court of common pleas, and finally a member of congress, having as colleague John Quincy Adams.
William Fessenden had nine children, six sons and three daughters. Benjamin was favored with superior home advantages. He was fitted for college at the Barnstable Academy, entered Harvard in 1813, and was graduated with high honors four years later. Among his classmates were Honorable George Bancroft, Honorable Caleb Cushing, and Reverend Stephen H. Tyng, D.D. In scholarship and character he was not unworthy of the distinguished class to which he belonged. As a candidate for the ministry in the Unitarian denomination he studied three years in the Cambridge Theological School, from which he was graduated in 1820. He preached his first sermon in Lexington, Mass. For a time he preached in Yarmouth, in the same state, for the venerable Timothy Alden. In 1821 he settled with the Unitarian Church in East Bridgewater, Mass., as successor to Reverend James Flint, D.D., and was ordained September 19th, 1821, the sermon on the occasion being preached by the gifted Henry Ware. He labored here with marked success for four years, when impaired health compelled him to relinquish his pulpit.
In 1825 he removed to Pawtucket, R.I., where he engaged in mercantile affairs. While living in Pawtucket his views in regard to certain religious doctrines underwent a radical change, and renouncing some of his old beliefs, he became an evangelical Christian; he also took decided ground in favor of temperance and in opposition to Masonry and slavery. From this time he worshipped with the Baptists, but did not become a member of that denomination until a number of years afterward.
In 1833 he settled in Valley Falls, R.I., and connected himself with the Abbott Run Company, in the manufacture of cotton goods, and, so far as his own immediate exertions controlled the business, he had good success. Here he continued for 32 years, retiring from the concern in 1865. In 1855 and in 1856 he was chosen a member of the house of representatives. In 1869 and 1870 he was elected a member of the state senate. Originally a Whig, he became a republican on the formation of the latter party, and always maintained a deep interest in public affairs. During the war of the rebellion he was one of the committee of the town of Cumberland to provide for the families of the Union soldiers. In 1870, at the age of 73 years, he was appointed postmaster of Valley Falls, and filled the office for eight years. For 25 years he was superintendent of the Valley Falls Baptist Sunday school. In his 80th year he was baptized and united with the Valley Falls Baptist church, to which other members of his family belonged.
On the 13th of December, 1821, he married Mary Wilkinson, daughter of Isaac Wilkinson, of Pawtucket, of the distinguished Wilkinson family that gave to Rhode Island so many men of mechanical skill, enterprise and staunch virtues. Mrs. Fessenden (born October 11th, 1804) inherited the strong family traits of intelligence, kindness and decision of character. She died February 27th 1888. Mr. Fessenden died January 6th, 1881. They had nine children, eight sons and one daughter, Mary Wilkinson, who married Honorable William F. Sayles, of Pawtucket. Two sons, Russell F. and Robert , are the only children now living. Charles H. and Robert were soldiers in the war of the rebellion; the latter being an officer.
Benjamin Fessenden led a pure, blameless life, and was alike beloved and honored in the home circle and by his fellow citizens. His attainments, virtues and activities were of a high order. Everywhere he was true, gentlemanly, kindly, benevolent and scholarly, always delighting in the society of the wise and the good. Comprehending the common weal, he counted all public interests as dear as his own. While his strength continued, he stood forth manfully and faithfully for all good service. As a fitting termination to his worthy life, his death was a Christian triumph, full of serene hope, confidence and joy.
p. 113: SQUIRE FRENCH, born in Seekonk, Mass., January 26th, 1781, died March 12th, 1869. He was a son of John and Lydia (Allen) French. He was engaged in the manufacture of cotton cloth, and was interested, under the firm name of French & Read, in a mill that used to stand where D. Goff & company's present mill is. He gave up business at the commencement of the war. He married Betsey F. Bucklin, and had four children: George, died aged 43 years; Martha, wife of Charles Barrett, of Taunton; Henry, engaged in mercantile business in Boston, and Ellen, wife of Henry Dana, of Pawtucket.
p. 113-117: DARIUS GOFF. No face is more familiar upon the streets of Pawtucket than is that of the subject of this sketch, nor has that community a citizen more deeply interested in its present and future prosperity. Darius Goff was born in Rehoboth, Mass., May 10th, 1809. His father, Richard Goff, was a manufacturer, and in 1790 built a fulling and cloth-dressing mill, and stocked it with the best of machinery of that early day. His mother, Mehitable Goff, was a daughter of Hon. Stephen Bullock, of Rehoboth. His grandfather, Joseph Goff, and his great-grandfather, Richard Goff, also lived in Rehoboth. Darius received his education at home and in the common schools. At an early age he went into his father's mill to help, and to learn the various processes to which the handspun and handwoven cloth was subjected in order to make it of sufficient weight or thickness for winter wear. His father continued the business until 1821, when so great had been the improvements in machinery by Samuel Slater and others that the handloom and all other hand machinery in making woolen goods were superseded. Young Goff then left Rehoboth and found employment in a woolen mill in Fall River, Mass., and a year or two later he was clerk in a grocery store in Providence, he having had some previous experience in that business while in Rehoboth.
Returning to his native town, in 1836 he and his brother Nelson purchased the Union Cotton Mill, a concern which was built in 1808, but which had long been idle, and began the manufacture of cotton batting, which business they prosecuted with success. Soon afterward they began making glazed wadding, sizing it by hand, a sheet at a time, on a table covered with sheet lead, then hanging it on racks with a common lath to dry. Subsequently it occurred to them that wadding might be made in an almost endless sheet or roll, and after experimenting for nearly two years the object which they sought was attained. This apron process is now so well nigh universal as to render the description unnecessary. But to make colored wadding the firm was obliged to color and dry the cotton before it went to the machine. Mr. Goff determined to devise some means whereby the process could be accomplished by the same operation, and in this he was successful. He enlarged the mill and procured the necessary machinery, but shortly after it was set in operation the building was burned.
As early as 1838 Mr. Goff had given considerable attention to the buying and selling of cotton waste, and that year he made a contract with the Lonsdale Company for all their refuse cotton material which they could not utilize in the manufacture of their goods, and has had a written contract with them every year since, being now 54 successive years. In some years their bills have amounted to more than $100,000. Previous to 1836 the refuse of cotton mills was considered useless and thrown away.
In this new business Mr. Goff formed a copartnership in 1846 with George Lawton, of Waltham, Mass., and began dealing in waste paper stock on Gray's Wharf, Boston, that being nearer the center of the paper manufacturing districts. In 1847 Mr. Goff removed to Pawtucket and purchased the estate on Weeden, Pine and Dexter Streets, now occupied by the Union Wadding Company, which is the legitimate successor of the cotton-batting industry started by Mr. Goff in Rehoboth in 1836. The mill erected on the aforementioned premises by Goff & Lawton was run by a steam engine, the cotton being carded in the white state, carried through all the processes of coloring and sizing, and brought out in endless sheets. In 1851 the mill was burned, but was at once rebuilt on a larger scale. In 1859 the partnership of Goff & Lawton was dissolved. Mr. Lawton taking the paperstock business in Boston and Mr. Goff the wadding mill in Pawtucket. Mr. Goff then united with John D. Cranston and Stephen Brownell, of Providence, under the firm name of Goff, Cranston & Brownell, and carried on a general business in paper-stock and wadding. The enterprise increased very rapidly, and in 1860 the firm engaged Henry A. Stearns as superintendent of the mill and the business. In 1871 the mill was burned, and rebuilt in 1872 in larger proportions and with more perfect machinery.
Since 1880 the business has been carried on under the name of the Union Wadding Company, which is now officered as follows: Darius Goff, president; Lyman B. Goff (his youngest son), treasurer; and Henry A. Stearns, superintendent. Mr. L. B. Goff is also manager. The business has grown from an annual sale in 1880 of $700,000 to nearly $2,000,000 in 1890. The name of the company gives the impression that the principal business is the manufacture of cotton wadding, whereas this branch is only about one-sixth of the product of the establishment, the main business being the manufacture of cotton batting and the buying and selling of cotton waste, a market for which is found not only in the United States, but in England and Germany. The works have been enlarged from time to time until they now cover between four and five acres, and employment is given to 400 persons. The company also owns a large plant in Augusta, Georgia, and one half of a mill in Montreal, Canada. The capital stock of the company, which was originally $200,000, is now $1,000,000. A majority of the stock is owned by Mr. Goff and his son Lyman.
In 1861 Mr. Goff began the manufacture of worsted braids, associating with him in business his eldest son, Darius L., who had just graduated from college, the firm name being D. Goff & Son. This was the first worsted braid mill started in this country, although Mr. H.N. Daggett, the manufacturer of the "Gold Medal" braid, commenced operations the same year. Until 1867 the mill was run at a loss, when a change in the tariff enabled the concern to manufacture goods at a profit and build up the industry. Without the protection afforded by the law of 1867, it was impossible to compete even with the poorer quality of English and German braids put on the market. The change in the tariff made a market for the American manufacture, and the foreign braids were shortly withdrawn from importation. The business prospered, and in 1872, Lyman B.Goff, now treasurer of the Union Wadding Company, was admitted to partnership, the firm name being D. Goff & Sons, under which name the business is still carried on. The same year the large and handsome brick mill on the east side of the river was erected on the site of the old stone structure which had been previously occupied by the firm.
In 1877 an important change was made by the firm in the manner of putting up their goods for the retail market. Previous to that time the braid had been put up in the familiar stick form. Mr. D. L. Goff conceived the idea of rolling the braid and fastening the end with a clasp. The experiment was tried, and Mr. Goff applied for a patent, which was granted as to the clasp. It was predicted by other manufacturers that this style of putting up braid would not meet with favor on the part of the consumers; but the new method at once secured popular approval, and other makers were not slow in following where Mr. Goff had led, although they were unable to use the patented clasp, and had to substitute some other device therefor. "Goff's Braid" is a name which has become as familiar as household words in al parts of the country, branch houses being established in Philadelphia, Chicago, St. Louis, and San Francisco. The firm is the leading one of its kind in America.
In 1882 Goff & Sons began a new industry. Previous to that time mohair plush had not been made in this country or in England. Being a very difficult fabric to produce, the firm deemed it advisable to send a representative to France or Germany to procure machinery and information rather than attempt to solve the problem themselves. Accordingly a gentleman of ability and experience in such matters was sent to those countries for the purposes named, and after spending considerable time in a fruitless effort to obtain the information desired, and being unable to purchase machinery (the business being kept so secret by those engaged in it), he returned home. The firm at once determined that they would work out the problem themselves, and after five years of persistent thought and labor they were enabled to turn out goods in every way equal to those of foreign make. Since this new industry has been so successfully established, the braid mill has been materially enlarged, until it is now about 500 feet in length. Employment is furnished a large number of persons in both the braid and plush departments.
Mr. Goff is a staunch republican, but has had very little time in his busy life to give to politics, and yet he served in the town council of Pawtucket before it became a city, and was at one time state senator for many years. He was a director in the Franklin Savings Bank, and is now a director in the First National Bank of Pawtucket and in the Pawtucket Street Railway from its inception. For twenty years or more he has been a director in the Pawtucket Hair Cloth company, and at present is a director in the Royal Weaving Company, of which corporation he is the originator. He is one of the original stockholders of the Pawtucket Gas Company, and for many years has been the only one of its original directors living, having been elected to that position in 1853. Quite a number of years ago he bought a large tract of land in central Pawtucket, laid out and graded wide streets at his own expense, and sold lots at a nominal price, which are now covered with factories and dwellings. Recently he has made large purchases of land in the eastern part of the city, and with others, has given several acres to the New York, Providence & Boston Railroad Company on which to erect passenger and freight stations and for other railroad purposes, which must prove of great advantage to the city. He has also within a short time bought a valuable estate in the compact part of the city with the intention of building a fine business block thereon. In 1884 he bought the old homestead in Rehoboth, where he was born, and erected thereon a handsome structure which bears the name of "Goff Memorial ." It was dedicated May 10th, 1886, which was also the 77th anniversary of the birth of Mr. Goff and the 240th of the handing over of the deeds of the old town to the English by Massasoit. The dedicatory exercises were under the direction of the Rehoboth Antiquarian Society.
Mr. Goff is an influential and much esteemed member of the Pawtucket Congregational Church and one of its most liberal supporters. In him every good cause finds a friend and helper.
He has been twice married; first, in May 1839, to Sarah Lee, whose only child died; second to Harriet Lee. They were sisters, and daughters of Israel Lee, of Dighton, Mass. The children by the second marriage have been Darius L., Lyman B., and Sarah C. His sons, as already stated, are now associated with him in business. His daughter married Thomas S. Steele, of Hartford, Conn.
p. 117-118: WILLIAM HENRY HASKELL, president of the William H. Haskell Company, was born in the town of Cumberland September 1st, 1821. His grandparents, Samuel and Mary Haskell, were among the pioneer settlers of this town, locating near Diamond Hill Plains. He died at the age of 95 years, in September, 1849. She died in September, 1849, at the age of 91 years. Turner Haskell, their son and father of William H., lived and died in this town. Turner Haskell was a very prominent man; served many years as a member of the town council, was a member of the general assembly for a number of years, and when he died was regarded as a very rich man. His wife was Patience Smith Haskell. She died in 1883, aged 89 years. He died in 1863, at the age of 73. They raised a family of eight children, five of whom were girls.
William H. Haskell received his education at a country district school, which he attended when a youth about three months each year. During the other nine months of the year he worked on the farm. When eighteen years of age, being moved by the inclinations of an inventive mind, he decided upon becoming a machinist. During the first two years he closely applied himself to learning his trade in the shop of Ebenezer and Joseph Metcalf, who then operated a machine shop at Arnold's Mills in the town of Cumberland. In 1840 he went to Woonsocket and in 1841 to Fall River. In 1845 he came to Pawtucket and began business on his own account. He entered first into partnership with Nathaniel S. Collyer, to do repair work, and remained in that capacity in a little shop on Mill Street for four years, at first employing eight or ten hands, but subsequently this number was increased to 20, then to 30. In 1850 he purchased an interest in the business carried on by Colonel Stephen Jenks, and removed there and remained till 1861. In 1860 he purchased grounds for the mammoth structures erected subsequently on his own lands, moved into his first building January 1st, 1861, and began business in his own name with twenty hands. The first building was 100 by 40 feet, two stories high, and was supposed to be commodious enough for all future demands, but business increased, and in 1873 it was enlarged to 350 by 50 feet, while the force has been increased to 125 and to 150 hands, as occasion requires. At the present time he does a business of $200,000 a year.
Politically, Mr. Haskell is a republican, though he never allowed himself to become entangled with official restraints to any great extent. On matters of public moment he has cast his lot where public spirit demanded. He was town councilman three or four terms in the old town of North Providence, and after the division of this town he served three years as councilman in Pawtucket. He was also one of the commissioners appointed to build the water works, in which capacity he served two years. In 1888 he was elected to the state senate and served one term in that body.
Mr. Haskell has been married twice. His first wife was Hannah, daughter of Columbia and Lydia (Shaw) Tingley. This marriage occurred about 1845. She died in November, 1868. Two children were the issue of this marriage, a son, now dead, and a daughter, Eunice Ednah, now the wife of Thomas Moies. His second marriage took place in December, 1869, to Ann Elizabeth, daughter of Hiram and Sylvia Carter, of Pawtucket. One daughter, Elizabeth D., was born of this union.
p. 118-119: NATHAN PLACE HICKS, deceased, patentee of Hicks' ring travelers, was born in North Providence, February 26th, 1824. His father, Stephen Hicks, died when Nathan P. was quite young. He went to sea and fell from a mast and broke his neck. His mother, Mrs. Lydia (Albro) Hicks, was a sufferer from dementia during the latter part of her long life, making her home during the last 19 years of her sickness with her son, under the care of his wife, Mrs. Hicks. Mr. Hicks of necessity had to work hard from his youth up. His education was scant, but nevertheless the mind of the man was broadened and educated by the very constraining circumstances surrounding his life. From a common hand in the mill he rose to be overseer for James C. Starkweather, and for eleven years was overseer for the Chase Mill.
While at work in Valley Falls he began experimenting on the ring travelers in his own house, after the day's work was done. He began their manufacture in 1853. One defect in former ring travelers was a lack of uniformity in numbers in regard to weight. To remedy this little defect the little instrument had to be manufactured with greater exactness, which from trial he found could be accomplished. He first began the manufacture of them in Valley Falls, and with Mrs. Hicks' assistance they were hardened at night at the house. He moved to Providence in 1860, and came to Pawtucket, locating in the Old Slater Mill, about 1867. He had various associates and did business under different styles, viz.: N.P. Hicks & Co., Hicks & Sprague, N.P. Hicks; as agent for Olney Arnold, then of the firm of E. Jenckes & Co. The Messrs. Jenckes steadily increased their business, until these goods are widely used in our own country and extensively exported to Europe. Mr. Hicks also devised machinery for making gimlet-pointed wire goods for cotton and woolen machinery. He finally sold out to E. Jenckes & Co. for $75,000. His first connection with Messrs. Jenckes was in 1869. In 1885, on September 30th, he died. As a man he was self made, and was free-hearted and generous to a fault. He was a member in high standing in both the Masonic and Odd Fellows orders.
In 1846 he was married to Sarah, daughter of James and Betsey (Butterworth) Lee, of England. Mr. Lee died when Mrs. Hicks was a very little girl. Her mother married the second time, and died in Wisconsin in 1877. Mr. Hicks purchased his residence property in Pawtucket in 1877. He left no children, but raised an adopted daughter, now Mrs. Sarah Adaline Howe.
p.119-126: THE JENKS FAMILY is a numerous one in the towns of Pawtucket and Lincoln. The name is variously spelled, Jenks, Jencks, or Jenckes. The first settler of this family in America was Joseph Jenks, who came from Buckingham, England, to Salem, Mass, in 1645. he was the first founder that worked in brass and iron on the Western Continent, and a large number of his descendants have since that time engaged in the same trade. He had a son, Joseph, who was born in England in 1632, and who came to what is now Pawtucket about 1655. He followed his father's trade and was among the first settlers in that locality. He married Esther, daughter of William and Elizabeth Ballard. In 1676 his forge was destroyed by the Indians during King Phillip's War. He held the position of assistant for a number of years. His children were: Joseph, Esther, married Samuel Millard, Elizabeth, married Samuel Teft, Sarah, married Nathaniel Brown, Nathaniel, Joanna, married Sylvanus Scott, Ebenezer, Mary, married Daniel Jenckes, Abigail, married Thomas Whipple, and William. Joseph died January 4th, 1717.
Joseph, son of Joseph, was born in 1656, and married for his first wife Martha, daughter of John and Mary Brown, by whom he had the following children: Joseph, who died without male issue; Obadiah; Catherine, married William Turpin; Nathaniel; Martha, married John Andrews; Lydia, married Christopher Mason; John, became a doctor and died of smallpox at London, England, in 1726; Mary and Esther, married Benjamin Bucklin. Joseph was in public office for most of the time from 1691 to 1732, and was known by the title of "Governor." He held the positions of deputy, speaker of deputies, assistant, deputy governor and governor. His second wife was Alice, daughter of John and Sarah (Whipple) Smith and widow of John Dexter. He died June 15th, 1740. Nathaniel, son of Governor Joseph, married Catharine Scott, and had the following children: Anna, married Jonathan Foster; Martha, married David Harris; John; Catherine, married John Olney, and Joseph. He was known by the title of captain, having been connected with the military.
John, son of Captain Nathaniel, had three sons: Esek and Sylvanus, both
of whom died single, and George. George, son of John, had a large family,
among whom were six boys, viz: Nathaniel Miller, Lemuel Holmes, James Varnum,
George Foster, William Thomson, and Albert Carlile. Nathaniel Miller, son
of George, had children: Edmund, who died in Lowell, Mass., leaving no
family; Almira, married Job Bennett; Ruth, married Isaiah Barney; Horace,
died single, and Lydia, married William Follett. Lemuel Holmes, son of
George, married Nancy Ingalls, and had four children: Sally Miller, married
John Fairbrother; Ann Eliza, widow of Adin Barber, resides in Pawtucket;
Nathaniel M., and George C., died leaving no male issue. Nathaniel M.,
son of Lemuel H., born February 26th, 1818, died February 10th, 1872, He
married Rebecca Green and their children are: Sarah, wife of Augustus Leach,
of Providence; John C., resides in Barrington, RI, and Charles Edwin, born
in central Falls, May 23rd, 1851, married Sarah J. Allen and has two children,
Nelson L. and
William Thomson, son of George, married Patience Hall and had a family of five children, viz.: George C., resides in New York City; Elizabeth K., resides in Pawtucket; William N., resides in Chelsea, Mass; Henry F. , and Erastus Collins, died aged 15 years. William T. died January 7, 1879. Henry F., son of William T., was born in Pawtucket May 12th, 1837, married Mary, adopted daughter of Doctor Hiram Cleveland and has three children: Hiram Cleveland, Charles Francis, and Dorothy.
Albert Carlile, son of George, was born August 2nd, 1798, and married Minerva Kingsley, by whom he had three children, viz.: Mary Frances, widow of Joseph Wheelock, resides in New York City; James Carlile, and Alfred Augusta, both of whom died in infancy. His second wife was Mary Pitcher, daughter of Abner Tompkins, and they had four children: Amelia Minerva and Ellen Sophia, twins, the former the wife of Gilbert B. Dana, of Providence, the latter died at the age of four years; Delia Eliza, resides in Providence, and Anna Maria, wife of James M. Bishop, of Pawtucket. Albert Carlile was early in life engaged in the crockery business in Pawtucket but the latter years of his life he was in the drug trade. He died September 22nd, 1872.
Joseph Jenks, son of Captain Nathaniel and grandson of Governor Joseph, had the following family: Nathaniel, Ephraim and Joseph, besides daughters. Ephraim, son of Joseph, married Rachel Cole, and their children were: Hosea, Sarah, Mary A., Emily, Daniel W. and George W. Hosea, son of Ephraim, was born January 26th, 1802, and married Annie Barber, of Yarmouth, Mass. Their children were: Shubael, died young; James L, John A. and Caroline, widow of William L. Gray, resides in Baltimore, Md. John A., son of Hosea, was born in Valley Falls, October 18th, 1828, and married Martha Connor. His children are: James L., born April 15th, 1858, a lawyer, of Pawtucket, and Jennie B.
Nathaniel Jenks, son of Joseph, the Pawtucket settler, was born January 29th, 1662, and married Hannah Bosworth. He was known by the title of Major. His children were: Jonathan, Nathaniel, Hannah, married Bonsfield Capron, and Elizabeth, married John Owen. He died August 11th, 1723. Nathaniel, son of Major Nathaniel, married Lydia Arnold and had the following family: Martha, married Abraham Scott; Stephen: Lydia, married Christopher Brown; Joanna, married Daniel Branch; Ichabod, James and Jemima, died single.
Stephen, son of Nathaniel, had six sons: Eleazer, Nathaniel, Moses, Stephen, Benjamin (left no male issue) and Jerahmeel, who married Rhoda Whipple, and had three daughters: Amy, married Nathaniel G.B.Dexter; Polly, married Joseph Ashley; Sarah, married first Potter, second Samuel Chafe. Eleazer, son of Stephen, had two sons, viz., Eleazer and Stephen, both of whom died without leaving male issue. Moses, son of Stephen married Lois Tingley, of Attleboro, Mass., and had four sons: Pardon, Jabez, Moses, and Charles. The last two died without male issue. Pardon, son of Moses, was born in Pawtucket in 1774, and married Freelove, daughter of John and Lydia Pitcher and widow of Samuel Rand. Their children were: William, Mary, married Joseph smith, of Pawtucket; Pardon, Elizabeth, wife of John C. Dodge, of Dodgeville, Mass. Pardon died April 20th, 1861. William, son of Pardon, born June 27th, 1808, married Freelove Douglas, and had three children: Jonathan P., Daniel B., and William H. He died January 3rd, 1888.
Jonathan P., son of William, born June 26th, 1831, married Hannah Whitman, and has two children: William and Hattie F. He is a carpenter by trade. Daniel Browning, son of William, born February 7th, 1822, married Sarah E. Ide, and has two children, Daniel Sanford and Charles Browning. He is foreman of the pattern department of the Fales & Jenks Machine Company. William Henry, son of William, born December 9th, 1835, married Ruth Alexander, and has had seven children: Sarah A., William B., Ellizabeth S., wife of G.B. Allen, of Pawtucket; Frank R., George C., Joseph H., died aged seven years, and Ruth D. He is a pattern maker by trade. William B., son of William H., married Cora Sherman; has two children, Avis and Edith A.
Pardon, son of Pardon, born in Pawtucket, married Sarepta Tinckham, of Rochester, Mass. They had three children: Pardon, Henry, died young, and Mary E., wife of Adolphus F. Davis, of Pawtucket. Pardon died August 20th, 1878. Pardon, son of Pardon, was born in Pawtucket, December 9th, 1843, married Eliza Jane Curran, has one child, Ida L..
Jabez Jenks, son of Moses and grandson of Stephen, married Patience, daughter of Deacon Ichabod Tabor. Of their family of nine children but two lived to maturity, viz., Isaac Tabor and Louisa, widow of Edward B. Jenks, who resides in Pawtucket. Jabez died on October 22nd, 1817, in his 38th year. Isaac Tabor, son of Jabez, was born August 23rd, 1809, and married Clestina Luther.Of their seven children two died in infancy. The others are: Josephine, wife of Francis Bishop, of Pawtucket; Frank, a resident of New Haven, Conn.; Edmund C.; Clestina, wife of George Briggs, of Providence, and Louisa. He died February 1st, 1885. Edmund C., son of Isaac T., born September 24th, 1845, married Jane I. Flagg, and has one child, George W. F.
Stephen Jenks, son of Stephen, was twice married. His first wife was Sarah Arnold and his second wife was Ruth Arnold. His children were all by his first wife. His sons were Arnold, David, George, Nathan, who died young; Linden, Alvin and Jerathmael. George, son of Stephen, was born in Pawtucket October 6th, 1783, and married Betsey Miller, a native of Westboro, Mass. He died July 6th, 1825, and had but one child, Andrew. He was a blacksmith and forger, engaged in making anchors for New Bedford whalers, also in company with his father and brothers, in the manufacture of guns. His descendants spell their name Jencks. Andrew, son of George, born in Pawtucket September 2nd, 1822, married Albima, daughter of James Weatherhead, of Cumberland, RI. Their children were: Louisa A., died seven years of age; George B., died an infant; George Andrew; Elizabeth, wife of John Clark, of Valley Falls; James W., died in infancy. George Andrew, son of Andrew, born in Pawtucket September 24th, 1847, married Isabella M. Cook, of Cumberland, R.I., and has two children, Andrew Edmund and Preserved Arnold. He is engaged in the stove and hardware business in Pawtucket.
Ichabod Jenks, son of Nathaniel, Major Nathaniel, Joseph, original settler in Pawtucket, had a large family, among whom were six sons: Levi, David, Abner (the last two moved to Massachusetts), Samuel, Ichabod and Israel. Levi, son of Ichabod, married a Bowers, and had four sons: Thames, Levi, Sylvester and Edward; the latter two ones died single. Levi, son of Levi, married Ruth Harding, and their children were: David, a bachelor, resides in Pawtucket; Minerva, deceased, married Henry Childs, Alfred B., Charles, died leaving no male issue, and Thomas, single, a resident of Pawtucket. Alfred B., son of Levi, born November 11th, 1829, married Hannah Jackson. Their children were: John, who died aged 29 years (leaving children, Alfred B., Charles H. and Mabel); Melissa, married John P. Ballou, of Attleboro, Mass, died aged 33 years, and Charles H., married Emma Baker, and has two children, Gertie and Henry Irving.
Ichabod, son of Ichabod, had four sons: Slater, Phenuel, Van Eason, who died single, and Otis, the only survivor. Phenuel, son of Ichabod, married for his first wife Martha Westgate, by whom he had four children: William W., Mabel, wife of Edward S. Carr, of Pawtucket; Amelia, wife of E.A. Bosworth, of Pawtucket, and Edward B. His second wife was Ann McQuade. The issue of this marriage are Zelotus W. and Helen M. Phenuel died September 20th, 1888. Edward B. son of Phenuel born July 27th, 1859, married Isabella Barnes, of Oxford, Mass., and has two children, Martha Isabella and Eva May.
Israel, son of Ichabod, married Lydia Handy. Their children were: Louisa, who has married twice, and now resides at Malden, Mass.; Sterry, died aged five years; Edward Bucklin, Cordelia, deceased, married Charles Dunham; Joseph Handy, died in Pittsburg, Pa.; Mahala, deceased, married Richard Dexter; George A., died in Providence, and Margaret, wife of Granville Williams, of Johnston, RI. Edward Bucklin, son of Israel, born in Pawtucket December 18th, 1805, married Louisa, daughter of Jabez Jenks. Of their seven children, one died in infancy. The others are: Jabez Edward, died in service during the late war; Theodore Weld, a resident of Attleboro, Mass.; Mary Louisa, widow of Lemuel Cummings; Ellen M. Curtis Vincent , of Providence, and Lydia A., wife of Frank H. Maynard, of Providence. Edward B. died September 2nd, 1870.
Reverend Ebenezer Jenks, son of Joseph, the original settler at Pawtucket, was born in 1669 and died August 14th, 1726. He was ordained pastor of the First Baptist Church in 1719. He married Mary Butterworth, and of a family of 13 children the following are the only ones that grew up: Ebenezer, Daniel, Phebe, married Job Comstock; Rachel, married Cornelius Esten, and Mercy, married Colonel Philip Wheeler. Ebenezer, son of Reverend Ebenezer, born September 17th, 1699, died November 1786, married Experience Martin. Their children were: Hopestill, married Elijah Norton; Nathan, married Sarah Stewart; Phebe, married William Jenckes; Waite, married Jabez Palmer; Mary and Freelove, both died single. Daniel, son of Reverend Ebenezer, was born October 18th, 1701, and died July 7th, 1774. He married Joanna Scott, and their children were: Mary, married David Harris; Sarah, married Christopher Hopkins for her first husband and for her second Ambrose Page; John, married Freelove Crawford, Rhoda, married Nicholas Brown, and Joanna, married Nicholas Tillinghast. Daniel was the chief justice of Providence court for thirty years. These are all the records we have been able to obtain of this branch of the family.
Judge William Jenks, son of Joseph, was born in 1675 and died October 2nd, 1765. He married Patience, daughter of Jonathan and Mehitabel (Holbrook) Sprague. He was the first chief justice of the Providence court. His children were: Joseph, who died young; Mercy, married Thomas Comstock; Ester, married John Comstock; Susanna, married Joseph Bucklin; William, Patience, married John Olney; Jonathan, John, and Mehitable, married Thomas Olney. The descendants of Judge William spell their name Jenckes. William, son of Judge William, had several sons, viz.: William, who moved to Brookfield, Mass.; Joseph, Christopher, and John. Jonathan, son of Judge William, had three sons: Gideon, Jonathan, removed to Winchester, Mass., and Nicholas, went to North Brookfield, Mass. John, son of Judge William, was born in 1732, and being a physician was known as Doctor John. He married Rachel Lawrence, and had the following children: Edmund, Henry, Jesse, John, Thomas, Mary (married David Smith), William, Lawrence, Sarah (married Doctor Ichabod Comstock), Caroline (married James Angell), Patience (married Daniel Comstock), Rachel, Isaac, Lydia (married David Lapham), and Abigail (married Jacob Comstock). Henry, son of Doctor John, was born in 1733 and married Amity Harris. His children were: John (married Sarah Smith and had three daughters and one son, Henry, who emigrated west). Martha (married Joseph Wilkinson), Daniel, Reuben (died aged four years), and Amy (married Thomas Arnold). Daniel, son of Henry, was born in 1771 and died in 1861. He married patience Bartlett. Their children were: Henry, Mary, living in Lincoln, Amelia P., lives in Lincoln; John L., was a physician and died at Hazel Green, Wisconsin; Caroline, died young; Sarah A., and George Bartlett, the latter two being residents of Lincoln. Thomas, son of Doctor John, married Patience Smith. It was an old saying that he had sixty feet of daughters, for of his eleven children ten were girls, all whom were uncommonly tall. His son's name was Rufus, and he married Amy Arnold. Their children were: Jeremiah, who left no issue; Pardon; smith, born March 15th, 1802, married Amy Ballou, and died May 22nd, 1886, left no children; George; Arnold, has no descendants living; and Mary, married Jesse Smith, of Lincoln. Pardon, son of Rufus, was born in 1800 and died in 1863. He maried Lydia W. Bolster, and had four children: William, died single; Willard S.; Amy, married Charles Bennett, resides in Pawtucket, and Daniel, lives in Southern Rhode Island. Willard S., son of Pardon, born August 5th, 1827, married Louisa, daughter of George Whipple. Their children are: Lydia, wife of William F. Jefferson, of Providence, and George W. Willard S. married for his second wife Rosamond Smith, and resides in Providence.
George, son of Rufus, was born in 1798 and died January 18th, 1885. He married Mary, daughter of Doctor Peter Ballou, and had two children: Newton, who died young, and Rufus, born November 5th, 1827, and married for his first wife Martha E. Angell. The children by this marriage are: Oliver A. and Ellen Maria, wife of Sylvanus I. Peck, of East Providence. His second wife was Mary E. Eldridge, and they have six children: Mary Adna, Eliza C., wife of Frederic I. Vose of Cumberland; George T., married Ruth Mabel Vose and has one child, Bertram Rufus; Martha E., Eva L., wife of Frank E. Vose, of Cumberland, and Smith A. Rufus is a farmer and resides in Lincoln.
The following branch of the Jenks family we are unable to trace further back than Daniel Jenckes, who married first Sarah Croft, and had two sons, Daniel and Gideon. His second wife was Rhoda, and the children of this marriage were: Bispah, who died young; Jabez, Ezra, Samuel, Dinah, who married a Ray; Russell, Lemuel, Sterry, and Sarah, who died single. Russell, son of Daniel, was born in Cumberland, October 15th, 1783, and married Hopestill Matthewson, of Smithfield, who, in 1818, drowned herself and her children, Betsey, Rhoda, Harriet and Louisa, in Scott's Pond. The only other child of this marriage was Liberty, who died young. Russell married for his second wife Julia Dexter, and their children were: George, died young; Ruth, widow of William H. Drown, resides at Ashton, R.I.; Mary Elizabeth, wife of Joseph Ashworth, of Coventry, R.I.; Horace, died at Yarmouth, Mass., but always resided in Providence; Lyman, resides in Providence ( the two last were twins), and Julia, deceased, married Dennis Higgins. Russell died May 8th, 1842. He was a farmer, and resided in Cumberland. Sterry, son of Daniel was born in February, 1787, married Nancy Dexter, and had the following family: Horatio Nelson, died aged 19 years'; Elsy Ann, deceased, married Stewart Merry; Rhoda, deceased, married Levi Carpenter; Jabez Walcott, died in Providence, and Diana, widow of Benjamin H. Aldrich, resides in Providence. Sterry married for his second wife Abbie Chaney, who in 1889 was living in Lincoln, in her 95th year. The children by this marriage were: Albert Chaney, Arabella C., single; Sereno Thayer, lives at Ashton, R.I.; Ella Dora, wife of Addison Hawes, of East Providence; Mary Humphrey, single, lives in Lincoln; Charles Erastus, resides in Providence; Ardelia, Henry Hartwell, Nathaniel Nilso, unmarried, and George Frederick. Sterry died November 26th, 1853. Henry Hartwell , son of Sterry, is unmarried, and resides at Lime Rock, R.I. He has had employment as a teacher at the Plainfield Academy, Plainfield, Conn.; at the academy at Chepachet, R.I., also the Spanish College in Chili, South America. While a resident of Chepachet he studied law with Colonel George Browne, and practiced in Boston, Mass., but relinquished his practice upon receiving the appointment, during Grant's first administration, of United States Consul to Buenos Aires, South America. He acts as counsel in cases at the present day, and is also engaged in teaching. George Frederick, son of Sterry, was born May 4th, 1834; married Mary Theresa Scennell, and has three children: Sterry, Beta, and Flora. Mr. Jenckes went to California in 1858, and from there to Chili in 1860. He afterward went to the Argentine Republic, and , during the Patagonian War, was chief engineer of the Brazilian navy. He returned to his native country in 1871, but subsequently went to Peru and engaged in railroad building, where he remained till 1878, when he went to Nicaragua, Central America, and built for the government the first railroad in that country, running from Corinto to Granada, a distance of 96 miles. In 1888 Mr. Jenckes returned to his native town, and has built the finest house in the township.
p. 126: EDWIN JENCKES, president of the E. Jenckes Manufacturing Company, is one of the leading manufacturers of Pawtucket, and is a grandson of Job Jenckes, one of the pioneer manufacturers of cotton goods in the state. Job Jenckes, the founder of Jenckesville, was a prominent man. He was engaged in the making of cotton goods in the old Social Mill before the year 1822. At this time he built the Jenckesville Mills in the town of Cumberland, now Woonsocket. His son, George Jenckes, the father of Edwin Jenckes, was born in the year 1800. he was engaged with his father and brothers in the manufacturing business. Edwin Jenckes was born in Jenckesville, January 9th, 1826. He received his education at the public schools of Woonsocket, completing his course at Nichols Academy, Dudley, Mass., in 1842. When 25 years of age he went to Philadelphia, and became one of the employees in a silk manufactory there, but within two years returned to Woonsocket and engaged as a manufacturer of sewing silk till the breaking out of the civil war. The style of the firm was W. A. & E. Jenckes. From 1861 to 1872 he engaged in the manufacture of silks, cotton and bonnet wire in Blackstone and Walpole, Mass., and then removed to Pawtucket, where he is at present doing a successful business in the manufacture of supplies for cotton and woolen mills, market or bright wire goods, spring cotters and split keys, ring travelers, belt hooks, cotton yarns and hosiery goods.
Mr. Jenckes is a republican. He cares little for political preferment, but nevertheless, has been sent to the general assembly of Rhode Island on five different occasions. He served two terms, just before the outbreak of the civil war, representing Woonsocket, and three terms after coming to Pawtucket.
The Newport County Reading Room Index More Biographies & History .