ANTHONY. Conspicuous in public affairs in the Colonial period, the Rhode Island Anthonys have since sustained the family name and reputation in the Commonwealth's history. They, too, have given to science and other fields in educational lines men of distinction, and as well to the business life of the State and its metropolis some of their leading business spirits. Since about the middle of the eighteenth century Providence has been the continuous home of a branch of family descended from the Portsmouth settler --John Anthony, 1640. The public careers and achievements of Hon. Abraham Anthony, often a deputy or representative in the Colonial Assembly and several times Speaker of the House of Deputies, of Hon. Henry Bowen Anthony, a national character --journalist, governor and United States senator, of John Gould Anthony, conchologist, a friend of Agassiz, long in charge of the conchological department of the Cambridge Museum, of William Arnold Anthony, the scientist of Cooper Institute, of Capt. George S. Anthony who one hundred years after the Declaration of Independence, in an American whaling ship set free the Irish political prisoners who were sentenced to life servitude in English prisons in Austria (sic), contribute a bright page to Rhode Island history; while a long list of the Anthony name at home in Providence, of those variously identified with its social, religious, business and public life, affords evidence of an enterprising race. A glance over the old town records and the subsequent city records reveals many honored names in the town and city's life. David and Hezekiah Anthony, though of Massachusetts birth, were of the Rhode Island stock. David's life, in main, was identied with Fall River, Mass., where in the early years of the century he was one of the founders of the first two cotton mills in the town, and of which city he became a wealthy, prominent and influential citizen; but his son, John H. Anthony, who for years was known as the worthy executive officer and head of the Providence Tool Company, and was president of the Union Mill Company, is of Providence identity. Hon. Hezekiah Anthony was long a resident of Providence and had a business career which was prosperous, prominent and useful; he served the city as councilman, alderman and representative in the General Assembly. Then among others were the late Hon. Henry Anthony, many times a representative in the Assembly through the forties and early fifties; Hon. Charles Anthony, who served as a member of the council from his ward in the middle fifties, was several times through that decade a member of the Lower House, and was collector of the port from 1861 to 1870; Charles Anthony, president of one of the city's fire insurance companies; James G. Anthony, frequently a member of the city government; Lewis W. Anthony, of the well-known firm of Greene, Anthony & Co., a prominent member of the Old Roger Williams Free Baptist Churc of Providence, president of the Traders' National Bank, and for some years member of the city government; Alfred Anthony, one of the first board of directors of the Rhode Island Hospital Trust company, and also a director and president of the Jackson Institute of Savings, and prominently identified with other financial institutions of the city; and David Anthony. And there are still active and prominent in business life Albert Lee Anthony, for years secretary and treasurer of the J. B. Barnaby Company, and trustee of the J. B. Barnaby estate; Noel F. Anthony, of the extensive corporation of the Anthony & Cowell Company; Joseph B. Anthony; Edwin P. Anthony, the druggist; James E. Anthony, the grocer and coal dealer; and Charles F. and Orrin S. Anthony, both residents of the town of Barrington, the former manager for Curran & Burton, and the latter (formerly purchasing agent of the American Screw Company for over twnety-one years) now president of the Anthony Coal & Lumber Company of East Providence.
The first knowledge we have of the origin of the Anthony family concerns Dr. Francis Anthony, who was born in London April 16, 1550. The "Biographa Britannica" says he was a very learned physician and chemist. His father was an eminent goldsmith in the city of London and had employment of considerable value in the jewel office under the reign of Queen Elizabeth. Having been thoroughly trained in the first rudiments of learning at home Francis Anthony was, about the year 1569, sent to the university at Cambridge, where he studied with great diligence and success and some time in the year 1574 took the degree of Master of Arts. It appears from his own writings that he applied himself, for many years that he studied in the university, to the theory and practice of chemistry. He left Cambridge at the age of forty years. He began soon after to publish to the world the effects of his chemical studies, and in the year 1598 sent abroad his first treatise concerning the excellency of a medicine drawn from gold. He commenced medical practice in London without a license from the College of Physicians, and after six months was called before the president and censors of the College, A. D. 1600. He was interdicted practice and for disregarding this injunction was fined five pounds and committed to prison, whence he was released by a warrant of the Lord Chief Justice. He continued to practice in defiance of the College, and performed numerous cures on distinguished persons, and further proceedings were threatened but not carried out, probably because Anthony had powerful friends at Court. His practice consisted chiefly, if not entirely, in the prescription and sale of a secret remedy called Aurum Potabile, or potable gold. He was obnoxious to the College not only because he practiced without a license, but because he kept the composition of his remedy a secret, and put it forward as a panacea for all diseases. The career of Anthony and his conflict with the College of Physicians illustrates the condition of the medical profession in the seventeenth century. From the sale of his remedy he derived a considerable fortune. Anthony was a man of high character and very liberal to the poor. He died in his seventy-fourth year, and was buried in the church of St. Bartholomew the Great, in the aisle which joins the aisle that joins the north side of the chancel, where a handsome monument has been erected to his memory, with a very remarkable inscription:
Sacred to the memory of the worthy and learned Francis Anthony, Dr. of physick.
There needs no verse to beautify thy praise,
Or keep in memory thy spotless name;
Religion, virtue and they (sic) skill did raise
A threefold pillar to thy lasting fame.
Though pois'nous envey ever sought to blame
Or hide the fruits of thy intention;
Yet shall they commend that high design
Of purest gold to make a medicine,
That feel thy help by that thy rare invention.
Dr. Anthony was twice married. His last license read as follows: "Anthony, Francis, of Great St. Bartholomew, Doctor of medicine, and Elizabeth Lante of Trinity Menaries, London, widow of Thomas Lante, late of same, gent., at the Church of the Savoy, Middlesex, 23rd Sept., 1609," etc. Records show that by his first marriage two sons and one daughter were born, John, Charles and Frances. John and Charles both became physicians, John selling his father's potable gold and Charles settling in Bedford, England. Frances married Abraham Vicars, of St. Olave, Old Jewry, London, April 28, 1608.
John Anthony, son of Dr. Francis, was born in 1585, and died in 1655. He graduated at Pembroke College, M. B., in 1613; M. D., 1619; was admitted licentiate of the College of Physicians of London, 1625; served in the civil war on the Parliamentary side as surgeon to Colonel Sandays; was author of a devotional work, "The Comfort of the Soul, laid down by way of Meditation." In the British Museum is a small note-book bound with the coat of arms of Charles I, belonging to John Anthony. The American branch springs from John Anthony, Jr., who was born in Hampstead, England, in the year 1607.
(1) John Anthony (or Anthonie, as he wrote it), the first American ancestor, born in 1607, a resident of the village of Hampstead, near London, England, came to New England in the barque "Hercules," April 16, 1634. He is of record in 1640 at Portsmouth, R. I., and was made a freeman 14th 7 mo., 1640. He became a corporal in a military company and had land assigned to him at the "Wadding river," in 1644. He had authority granted to him May 25, 1655, to keep a house of entertainment in Portsmouth. He was commissioner in 1661, and deputy in 1666-72. He married Susanna Potter and both he and his wife died in 1675. Their children were: John, born in 1642; Susanna, born in 1644; Elizabeth, born in 1646; Joseph, born in 1648; and Abraham, born in 1650.
(II) Abraham Anthony, son of John, born in 1650, married Dec. 26, 1671, Alice Woodell, born Feb. 10, 1650, daughter of William and Mary, and was of Portsmouth, R. I. He was made a freeman in 1672. He was deputy much of the time from 1703 to 1711,, and in 1709-10 was Speaker of the House of Deputies. He died Oct. 10, 1727, and his widow passed away in 1734. Their children were: John, born Nov. 7, 1672; Susanna and Mary, Aug. 29, 1674; William, Oct. 31, 1675; Susanna (2), Oct. 14, 1677; Mary (2) and Amey, Jan. 2, 1680; Abraham, April 21, 1682; Thomas, June 30, 1684; Alice and James (twins), Jan. 22, 1686; Amey (3), June 30, 1688; Isaac, April 10, 1690; and Jacob, Nov. 15, 1693.
(III) William Anthony, son of Abraham, born Oct. 31, 1675, married March 14, 1694, Mary Coggeshall, born Sept. 18, 1675, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Timberlake) Coggeshall, of Portsmouth, R. I., he a descendant of John Coggeshall, who came from the County of Essex, England, through Major John and Elizabeth (Baulston) Coggeshall. Mr. Anthony was of Portsmouth, R. I., and Swansea, Mass. He died Dec. 28, 1744, Mrs. Anthony passing away after 1739. Their children were born as follows: William, May 14, 1695; Abraham, Sept. 29, 1696; Elizabeth, May 2, 1698; Mary, Dec. 8, 1699; John, Sept. 12, 1702; Alice, May 22, 1705; Ann, March 17, 1707; John (2) and Amy (twins), Nov. 16, 1708; William (3) (Oct. 26, 1709; James, Nov. 9, 1712; Job, April 10, 1714; Benjamin, June 10, 1716; Daniel, May 19, 1720.
(IV) James Anthony, son of William, born Nov. 9, 1712, married Dec. 11, 1734, Alice Chace, born March 3, 1717, daughter of Eber and Mary (Knowles) Chace, he a descendant of William Chase, of Roxbury and Yarmouth, Mass., through William (2) and William (3), and she a daughter of William Knowles, and a granddaughter of Henry Knowles. Mr. Anthony was of Swansea, Mass. He and his wife both died in 1748. Their children were born as follows: Hannah, Feb. 19, 1736; Mary, Dec. 22, 1737; Daniel, Feb. 21, 1740; Ruth, Aug. 10, 1742; Alice, Aug. 7, 1744; Content, Feb. 5, 1746.
(V) Daniel Anthony, son of James, born April (or Feb.) 21, 1740, in Swansea, Mass., married Mary Bowen, born June 12, 1742, daughter of Richard and Remember (Goodspeed) Bowen. Mr. Anthony removed to Providence, R. I. He was a surveyor by occupation and laid out the Providence turnpike. All the plats of Providence are founded on his surveys. He died Aug. 16, 1824. He was a member of the Society of Friends. The children of Daniel and Mary Anthony were: Eunice, born July 8, 1760; James, Dec. 14, 1761; Remember, Oct. 6, 1763; Joseph, May 24, 1765; Richard, April 19, 1767; Ruth, Feb. 3, 1769; Daniel A., Dec. 10, 1770; Alice, Jan. 4, 1773; William, Oct. 25, 1774; Thomas, Sept. (possibly Aug. or Oct.) 27, 1776; Sarah, Dec. 14, 1778; Jabez, Jan. 2, 1781; Mary, May 6, 1784; and Amey, Dec. 26, 1785.
(VI) William Anthony (2), son of Daniel, born Oct. 25, 1774, married Dec. 18, 1803, Mary Kennicut Greene, born Oct. 31, 1785, daughter of James Greene, a descendant of Surgeon John Greene, through John (2), Peter, William and James Greene. Mr. Anthony was a manufacturer of Coventry, R. I., he and his brother Richard being associated as pioneers in cotton manufacturing in Coventry, now known as Anthony. William Anthony died May 17, 1845. He and his wife had children: William Wilson, born June 8, 1805 (died April 14, 1825); James Greene, May 26, 1807; Rebecca Ann, Sept. 3, 1810 (died Sept. 23, 1810 or 1812); Henry Bowen, April 1, 1815; Rebecca Ann (2), June 17, 1818 (died Oct. 6, 1824); Eliza Harris, April 1, 1821 (married May 1, 1843, Francis Edwin Hoppin, of Providence); and George Augustus, Dec. 23, 1823 (died Dec. 9, 1825).
(VII) HENRY BOWEN ANTHONY, (2) son of William (2), born April 1, 1815, in Coventry, R.I., married Oct. 16, 1838, Sarah Aborn Rhodes, daughter of Gen. Christopher Rhodes, of Pawtuxet, R.I. Mr. Anthony's primary education was received in the schools of Coventry, where and at a private seminary in Providence he was prepared for college. He was graduated from Brown University in 1833. About this time he was a frequent contributor to the columns of the Providence Journal. For several years after his graduation he was in the office with his brother, a manufacturer at Providence. He next engaged in newspaper work, and became editor of the Providence Journal. Associated with Joseph Knowles and John W. Vose, Mr. Anthony in 1840 became joint owner of the paper, and retained his proprietorship throughout his lifetime, the firm style becoming Knowles & Anthony in 1848, and Knowles, Anthony & Danielson in 1863. He became widely known for the vigor of his editorials, especially on political matters, for his brilliant but genial satire, and for a native dignity and courtesy that made him very popular in society. "He gave the Journal, already one of the leading newspapers in New England, a still higher position in the journalistic field, and tempting offers to edit newspapers in other cities frequently came to him."
Mr. Anthony was elected on the Whig ticket in 1849 governor of Rhode Island. He was reelected in 1850, but declined renomination in 1851. He was next chosen United States senator from his native State, as a Union Republican, taking his seat in March, 1859. Throughout the Civil war he was an ardent supporter of the government. As a member of the committee of public affairs Senator Anthony helped to create a naval force and to elect its officers; he favored liberal pensions for the wounded and for widows and orphans, and he aided in framing the reconstruction measures. He also served on the committees on Mines and Mining, and on Post Office and Post Roads, and for eighteen years was chairman of the committee n Public Printing. He was continued in the Senate by repeated elections until his death. During his senatorial career Senator Anthony was three times chosen president pro tem., namely: In March, 1863, March 1871, and January, 1884, declining service the last time on account of his health. On the trial of President Johnson he voted for impeachment. He was a member of the National Committee to accompany the remains of President Lincoln to Illinois in 1865. He was one of the senators appointed to attend the funeral of Gen. Wnfield Scott in 1866. In the last named year he was a delegate to the Loyalists Convention in Philadelphia. Senator Anthony died in Providence, R. I., Sept. 2, 1884. Mrs. Anthony died in New York July 11, 1854.
Senator Hoar of Massachusetts, in his "Autobiography of Seventy Years" (1903), paid this tribute to Mr. Anthony:
"Henry B. Anthony was the senior member of the Senate when I entered it. When he died he had been a senator longer than any other man in the country except Mr. Benton. He had come to be the depository of its traditions, customs and unwritten rules. He was a man of spirit, giving and receiving blows on fit occasions, especially when anybody assailed Rhode Island. He had conducted for many years a powerful newspaper which had taken part in many conflicts. But he seemed somehow the intimate friend of every man in the Senate, on both sides. Everyone of his colleagues poured out his heart to him. It seemed that no eulogy or funeral was complete unless Anthony had taken part in it, because he was reckoned the next friend of the man who was dead. He was fully able to defend himself and his State and any cause which he espoused. No man could attack either with impunity under circumstances which called on him for reply, as he showed on so many memorable occasions. But he was of most gracious and sweet nature. He was a lover and a maker of peace. * * * Mr. Anthony was a learned man; learned in the history of the Senate and in parliamentary law; learned in the history of his country and of foreign countries; learned in resources of a full, accurate and a graceful scholarship. Since Sumner died I suppose no Senator can be compared with him in this respect. Some passages in an almost forgotten political satire show that he possessed a vein which, if if he had cultivated it, might have placed him high in the role of satiric poets. But he never launched a shaft that he might inflict a sting. His Collection of Memorial Addresses is unsurpassed in its kinds of literature. He was absolutely simple, modest, courteous, and without pretense. He was content to do his share in accomplishing public results, and leave toothers whatever of fame or glory might results from having accomplished them. "To be, and not to seem, was this man's wisdom.' "
(VI) Richard Anthony, son of Daniel, born April 1, 1767, lived for a time in Anthony, R. I., where he engaged in cotton manufacture with his brother William. He removed to North Providence, settled and died there, continuing cotton manufacturing with his son James. He married May 12, 1701, Abigail Eddy, daughter of Capt. Barnard and Patience Eddy. He was a naval captain in the Revolutionary war, and descended frm Samuel Eddy, the Pilgrim. The children of Richard and Abigail (Eddy) Anthony were: Eunice, born April 8, 1792; Lydia, May 8, 1794; James, Sept. 17, 1795; Mary C., Dec. 28 1797; Cyrus, June 23, 1800; Richard Bowen, Dec. 23, 1802; Betsey E., Jan. 28, 1805; Richard B., Dec. 8, 1808.
(VII) James Anthony, son of Richard, born Sept. 17, 1795, continued the cotton manufacturing business founded by his father, building and owning the villages of Greystone and Centredale, R. I. He was a resident of North Providence. Dying in 1836, he left a family of nine children, Lewis W. then but ten years old. He had married June 22, 1818, Sarah Porter Williams, of Brimfield, Mass., born July 22, 1792, daughter of Rev. Nehemiah Williams, a descendant of Robert Williams, of Roxbury, Mass., 1638, through Rev. Samuel, Rev. Ebenezer and Rev. Chester Williams. Mrs. Anthony, descending through a long line of Congregational ministers, was a superior woman -- one of marked intelligence, piety and fidelity One of the Williams family, Col. Ephraim Williams, founded Williams College. Another, Elisha Williams, was president of Yale. William Williams was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. Rev. John Williams was the renowned "Redeemed Captive" of history, and Rev. Eleazer Williams was the famous reputed lost Dauphin of France. In 1825 one hundred and forty-seven of the Williams family had graduated from the colleges in New England, New Jersey and Union, N. Y. Nine children blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. James Anthony, namely: Caroline Sarah, born May 26, 1819; Charles James, March 25, 1821; Frank William, Oct. 16, 1822; Lydia Carter, May 13 1824; Lewis Williams, Sept. 19, 1825; Mary Elizabeth, Oct. 17, 1826; Catharine Percy, June 25, 1828, Abbie Eddy, Feb. 6, 1830; Jerusha Keyes, July 19, 1831.
(VIII) LEWIS WILLIAMS ANTHONY, son of James, born Sept. 19, 1825, in North Providence, married (first) Sept. 15, 1847, Britannia Franklin Waterman, of Johnston, R. I., born July 17, 1825, daughter of George Water and Britannia F. Baxter. Britannia Franklin Waterman was a lineal descendant of Roger Williams through his maternal ancestry of the blood of Benjamin Franklin, while through her mother she was descended from the "Mayflower" pilgrim John Howland. She was a woman of rare qualities of character, uniting in an unusual degree sweetness and strength, and to her memory Roger Williams Hall, the home of Cobb Divinity School, Lewiston, Maine, was erected by her husband. To Lewis Williams and Britannia F. (Waterman) Anthony came children as follows: (1) Edgar Waterman, born June 20, 1848. (2) Sarah B., born March 18, 1851, died Feb. 5, 1865. (3) Kate Jackson, born Sept. 20, 1852. (4) Mary Chace, born Aug. 22, 1854, died Aug. 28, 1855. (5) Charles Lewis, born March 22, 1850, died Feb. 9, 1859. (6) Abbie Leslie, born Feb. 21, 1858, died Sept. 2, 1865. (7) Alfred Williams, born Jan. 13, 1860. (8) George Waterman, born Jan. 12, 1803, died Jan. 18, 1803.
Of the eight children only three survived childhood. Two sons have been prominent in other New England cities and States. Edgar Waterman Anthony was for twelve years associated with the Barstow Stove Company, of Providence, the last five years in charge of the New York branch of this company. In 1879 he removed to Boston, Mass., and with W. E. Smth organized the Smith & Anthony Company, one of the leading concerns in the country for the manufactur8ng of cooking and heating apparatus, of which he is treasurer. Among other enterprises and clubs he is a director in the United States Trust Company, Boston; member of the Algonquin Club, Boston, the Boston Art Club; the Beacon Society; Boston Athletic Association; the Middlesex Club; and the Laurentian Club. He married March 27, 1878, Clara Dickenson Wilder, of Boston daughter of Charles Woodward Wilder and Anna Augusta Plummer. They have two children: Wilder, born April 3, 1883, and Edgar Waterman, Jr., born Jan 11, 1890.
Alfred Williams Anthony, D. D., clergyman, professor, graduate of Mowry and Goff's English and Classical School and of Brown University, Providence; of Cobb Divinity School, Lewiston, Maine; studied at University of Berlin, Germany, 1888, 1889 and 1890; received degree of D. D. in 1902. Entered Free Baptist ministry, 1885; pastor in Bangor, Maine, 1885-88; sincd 1890 Professor of New Testament Exegesis at Cobb Civinity School, Lewiston, Maine. He is identified with numerous prominent State and national organizations. He is trustee and secretary of the Board of Maine Industrial School for girls; member of the Interdenominational Commission of Maine since its organization and secretary since 1904; member of the State Executive Committee of Y. M. C. A.; vice-president of Maine Academy of Medicine and Science; member of American Philological Society; member Council of Seventy of the American Institute of Sacred Literature; member Society of Biblical Literature and Exegesis; member Phi Beta Kappa Society; of Delta Upsilon Fraternity; president of Board of Trustees of Storer College, Harper's Ferry, W. Va.; corporator of Morning Star Publishing House, Boston, Mass.; author of "An Introduction to the Life of Jesus"; "The Method of Jesus"; "The Higher Criticism in the New Testament"; "The Sunday School --Its Progress in Method and Scope"; editor "Preachers and Preaching"; "New Wine Skins"; contributor to magazines and religious press. He was twice married. His first wife, whom he married Sept. 15, 1885, was Harriet Wyatt Angell, of Providence (daughter of John Wilmarth Angell and Elizabeth H. Stillwell, and descended from Roger Williams and John Alden). They had four children: Elizabeth Williams, born at Bangor, Maine, April 7, 1887; Margaretha, born and died in Berlin, Germany, in 1889; Lewis Wilmarth, born at Lewiston, Maine, Aug. 11, 1891, died at Providence, Dec. 20, 1898; Alfred Wyatt, born at Lewiston, Maine, June 1, 1894. He married (second) Feb. 26, 1903, Gertrude Brown Libbey, of Lewiston, Maine (daughter of Winfield Scott Libbey and Annie E. Shaw), and they have two children: Richard Lewis, born at Lewiston, Dec. 24, 1903; and Warren Shaw, born at Lewiston, July 12, 1905.
Mr. & Mrs. Lewis Williams Anthony nearly reached their golden wedding anniversary, Mrs. Anthony dying Jan 26, 1892. He married (second) March 26, 1894, Emily Frances Waterman (younger sister of his first wife), widow of Rev. Robert Hall Tozer and daughter of George Waterman and Britannia Franklin Baxter. She died Nov. 1, 1898. He married (third), Dec. 6, 1899, Lucinda Williams Preble, of Bangor, Maine, daughter of Jonathan Preble and Lucinda Willias. Her paternal grandmother was a descendant of Bishop Ridley, who was burned at the stake in London.
Lewis Williams Anthony in boyhood attended a school established by his father for the benefit of his children, and was also a pupil at the Fruit Hill Academy. The cotton manufacturing business of his father, though large and prosperous before his death, suffered from the disastrous effects of the financial panic which swept the country in 1837 and the family fortunes were so seriously impaired that from that time young Lewis W. Anthony was practically thrown upon his own resources and obliged to make his way in life. He commenced his connection with the shoe business in March 1842, as a clerk in the retail boot and shoe store of David Le Favour, in Pawtucket, R. I. After an experience of a year there he went to Providence, where he found a similar but better position in the wholesale boot and shoe establishment of Messrs. Greene & Arnold, practically the house with which he was connected during the remainder of his long life. In 1851, having saved, with the assistance of his equally enterprising wife, enough to invest in the business, he bought the interest of the retiring partner, Mr. Arnold, the firm then becoming Greene & Anthony. His association with Mr. William B. Greene, which began in 1843, lasted for almost fifty years, until Mr. Greene's death in 1892. Eventually Mr. Anthony became the senior member of the concern, which, as Greene, Anthony & Co., was widely known as one of the most extensive firms doing business in that line in Providence, and as one of the oldest boot and shoe concerns in New England. At first the business was carried on at No. 14 North Main street, but subsequently was located at No. 24 Market square, No. 10 Weybosset street, and Nos. 21 and 23 Pine street, each time in consequence of an increase in business demanding more floor space for the stock of goods carried. On July 1, 1898, the concern moved again, into a new building at No. 33 Pine street, erected especially for its use, having quarters more commodious than ever before. Besides the regular expansion of its own trade, which takes in a large part of New England, particularly the southern portion, and extends also toward the West through New York and Pennsyvania, the house purchased and consolidated with its own the large business of the Congdon & Aylesworth Company, of Providence. Mr. Anthony's partner in the business toward the close of his career was Mr. Arthur H. Watson, whose association with the house covered many years. Mr. Anthony had associated with him at different time six partners, three of whom died and two retired from the business.
At Providence Mr. Anthony early identified himself with the Rogers William
Free Baptist Church, and became one of its most active and leading members.
For thirty-eight years he served as a deacon of the church, and he was
president for twenty-five years of the Free Baptist Home Mission Society
and served as a member of its executive board. For thirty-three years
he was teacher of one Sunday school class. He was also a member of
the board of management of the Free Baptist Printing Establishment of Boston.
He was a member of the Providence city government for several years; president
of the Traders' National Bank, Providence; director in the Nicholson File
Company, Providence; the Great Western File Company, Beaver Falls, Pa.;
the Smith & Anthony Company, manufacturers of heating apparatus, Boston,
Mass.; the Central Real Estate Company, Providence; of the Free Baptist
Publishing House, Boston; member of the Board of Trustees of the Y. W.
E. C. A. of Providence, and prominent in other financial and benevolent
enterprises. Mr. Anthony was of a genial disposition and a generous
nature, and his unstinted giving to benevolent causes was characteristic.
"Anthony Hall", belonging to Storer College, West Virginia, bears his name
in recognition of his generous gifts; and "Roger Williams Hall", the home
of Cobb Divinity School, Lewiston, Maine, was his gift in memory of his
deceased wife. He commanded the esteem and respect of a large circle
of friends and acquaintances and his moral and religious influence in the
community was widely felt. He died March 17,
1903, at Providence, Rhode Island.
(IV) Abraham Anthony, son of William and Mary (Coggeshall) Anthony, born Sept. 29, 1696, married Feb. 7, 1716, Elizabeth Grey, of Tiverton, R. I. They settled, lived and died in Rhode Island.
(V) Abraham Anthony son of Abraham and Elizabeth (Grey) Anthony, born Dec. 9, 1717, married Mary Chase.
(VI) David Anthony, son of Abraham and Mary (Chase), born Feb. 15, 1754, married Amey Battey and Dorcas Battey, and Sarah Wing.
(IV) Benjamin Anthony, son of William and Mary (Coggeshall), born June 10, 1716, married Martha Luther, daughter of Hezekiah, son of Hezekiah and grandson of John, and they settled on a farm in Somerset, Mass. They had eleven sons: Abner, Peleg, Rufus, Reuben, Hezekiah, James, Benjamin, Luther, Caleb, Nathan and David.
(V) David Anthony, son of Benjamin, born Aug. 3, 1760, married Submit Wheeler, born Feb. 17, 1760. Their children were: Elizabeth, Nathan, Jeremish, David, Hezekiah, Elisha, Keziah, Submit, Benjamin and Mary B.
(VI) David Anthony, son of David and Submit (Wheeler), was born Jan. 9, 1786, in the town of Somerset, Mass., where his early boyhood was passed on a farm. Leaving the latter at the age of fourteen years, he entered the employ of John Bowers, a country merchant and a large owner of real estate, whose residence was at Somerset Shore, under whose direction he was prepared for the practical side of life, being first chore boy, successively grain and sale measurer, assistant accountant and in charge of the retail department of the store. His employer became embarrassed, and when the young man was but eighteen years old the responsible duty fell to him of closing out his employer's business and settling it up. Following this experience Mr. Anthony taught school for one season. He then went to Providence, R. I., where for two years he was in the employ of John P. Hellen, a dealer in crockery ware. In 1808 he went to Pawtucket and entered the employ of Samuel Slater, who was then operating a cotton spinning mill, and to whom in after years Mr. Anthony referred as "the father of the cotton manufacturing business in this country." Here Mr. Anthony got a knowledge of manufacturing. In April, 1812 he went to Rehoboth, Mass., and in March, 1813, located permanently in Fall River, Mass. As early as 1807 Mr. Dexter Wheeler had in operation at Rehoboth a small yarn mill run by horse-power. These two men became associated together with others at Fall River, in the manufacturing business in 1813, which is a memorable year in that town as witnessing the inaugurating of the first regular yarn manufacturing concern on a substantial basis in the town. That year witnessed the organization of two companies and the erection of two considerable factories--the Fall River Manufactory and the Troy Cotton and Woolen Manufactory. Mr. Anthony was one of the incorporators of the Fall River Company, of which he was chosen treasurer and agent.
Mr. Anthony's subsequent life was identified with Fall River. He retired from active business life there about 1839, having won the success which his natural resources of judgment and energy were sure to achieve. Some twenty years later he again returned and for a time was again actively engaged in manufacturing. He was the first, in point of time, of the strong, energetic and sagacious natures who built up a community of substantial and progressive industries.
Mr. Anthony was a deacon in the Congregational Church from 1834 until the time of his death. He was president of the Fall River Bank from its organization, in 1825, for some forty years. Mr. Anthony was married three times, his third wife being a daughter of Thomas Borden, and he was the father of seven children. He died July 6, 1867, in Fall River, Massachusetts.
(VI) Hezekiah Anthony, son of David and Submit (Wheeler), born April 3, 1788, in Somerset, Mass., married in 1810 Sally Bowers, of Dighton, Mass., and eleven children, six sons and five daughters, blessed this union, namely: David, Sarah A., Mary B., Jane, George, Philip B., Nathan, Hezekiah, David (2), Elizabeth and another daughter.
Mr. Anthony in boyhood attended the public schools of his native town. He received practical business training in a factory, in the town of Dighton, Mass., and in 1807 entered the employ of John Hellen, a crockery merchant of Providence, R. I. It was not long, however, after his location in Providence, until he went into business on his own account, engaging in the wholesale grocery trade, his location being in Whitman's block, on Weybosset street. Subsequently he carried, in addition to groceries, cotton and manufacturer's supplies. Still later he was engaged solely in the cotton brokerage business. A man of good judgment, punctual, systemic and of high honor, by close attention to business he won the respect and esteem of his fellow-citizens and lived a life of usefulness and honor in his community. For the long period of forty-eight years Mr. Anthony did business at that [the] Union Bank, in 1814, was chosen one of its directors in 1824, and so served until 1876, when he declined a re-election. He was also a charter member of the People's Savings Bank, of which he became a director in 1824. He became a member of the standing committee of this institution in 1851 and its vice-president in 1855. These positions he resigned in 1874.
Mr. Anthony's political affiliations were with the Democratic party. His religious connections were with the Chestnut Street Methodist Episcopal Church, with which he united in 1818, and of which he was an active and useful member throughout his lifetime. He had been a member of the town council before the city was organized, and from 1832 to 1835 was a member of the city council, and an alderman from 1835 to 1838 serving from the Fifth ward.
(VI) Joseph Anthony, son of Daniel, born May 24, 1763, married May 9, 1801, Mary Gould, daughter of John and Sarah (Coggeshall) Gould of Middletown, R. I., and their children were: Henry, born April 6, 1802; John G., May 17, 1804; Joseph B., March 13, 1806; Edward, Aug. 13, 1807; James C., Dec. 30, 1809. The father died June 22, 1840, and the mother passed away Nov. 15, 1855, aged ninety years.
(VI) Jabez Anthony, sonof Daniel, born Jan. 2, 1781, married Feb. 2, 1803, Ruth Fish, of New York State, and their children were: Sarah, born Dec. 5, 1803; William H., Dec. 1, 1805; Mary, Dec. 17, 1807; William H. (2) (father of William A. Anthony of Cooper Institute), June 8, 1810; Susan, Feb. 10, 1813; Charles, July 29, 1815; James S., June 17, 1818; Elizabeth, Dec. 14, 1820 (married George Tiffany); Lydia, Dec. 18, 1823; Celia, May 27, 1826 (married Thomas Tiffany).
(VII) Charles Anthony, son of (VI) Jabez, was born July 29, 1815, in Rhode Island, and passed all his life in his native State. He received his education in the Friends' School. His connection with manufacturing interests covered many of his active years. Entering the employ of Rowland G. Hazard, at Carolina Mills, he remained there from 1843 to 1851, in which year he removed to Providence, accepting the position of agent of the Phoenix Iron Foundry and continuing there until 1856. He was then elected president of the Slater Insurance Company, and held that office until he was appointed collector of the port of Providence by President Lincoln in 1861. He served the Federal Government in this capacity until 1870, when his successor was appointed by President Grant. Mr. Anthony was active in other capacities in the local civil administration, representing the Fifth ward in the common council in 1854 and 1855, and from January, 1880 to Oct. 4, 1880, when he resigned. He was re-elected to the common council Nov. 2, 1880, and served until Feb. 27, 1882, when he again resigned. He was a member of the board of aldermen, representing the Fifth ward, from 1858 to 1860; was one of the highway commissioners from Feb. 7, 1872, until May 24, 1878, and later was elected a member of the board of public works, holding the latter office from March, 1882, to March, 1884. He represented the city of Providence in the General Assembly during 1855, 1856 and 1857. Mr. Anthony was a man esteemed by all who knew him and it is generally conceded that he deserved the confidence he enjoyed, performing his duty with faithfulness and integrity in every public position he held. His connection with the various branches of the city and State government, as well as with business affairs, covered a long period, and one of unusual usefulness, and his death, which occurred Feb. 9, 1888, was mourned in many circles.
About 1837 Mr. Anthony married Hannah A. Tillinghast, who was born Dec. 25, 1818, daughter of Dr.Thomas Tillinghast, of East Greenwich, who was a manufacturer as well as a physician. Children as follows blessed this union: (1) Charles F., born Sept. 15, 1841, is mentioned farther on. (2) George Allen, born July 4, 1844, died Nov. 28, same year. (3) Mary, born July 12, 1845, died the same day. (4) Caroline Hazard, born Oct. 7, 1846 is the widow of Major Edwin C. Pomroy, whom she married Oct. 10, 1867. (5) Henry Allen, born Sept. 5, 1850, married Lucy Glover Oct. 29, 1874. (6) Orrin Spencer, born Nov. 1, 1852, is mentioned further on. (7) Ellery Channing, born June 22, 1855, was married Jan. 3, 1884, to Anna L. Whipple.
(VIII) Charles Follen Anthony, son of Charles and Hannah A. (Tillinghast) Anthony, was born Sept. 15, 1841, in the town of Richmond, R.I. There he lived until he was ten years old, receiving his primary education in the local public schools, and he completed his training in the grammar and high schools of Providence, to which city the family moved in 1851. On leaving school he went into the office of the Slater Mutual Insurance Company, of Providence, remaining there from 1858 to 1861, after which he was in the Mechanics Savings Bank from 1861 to 1863. The next two years he was with the Commercial Steamboat Company as cashier, and in March, 1865, engaged with Manchester, Hopkins & Co., a coal firm, as bookkeeper and cashier. The company was succeeded by Hopkins, Pomroy & Co., with whom Mr. Anthony continued until 1891, when it became the Pomroy Coal Company, and in 1901 it was merged into the Eastern Coal Company, of which Mr. Anthony was elected treasurer. He resigned that office Dec 1, 1904, to accept the position of manager for Curran & Burton, Inc., which he now fills. Mr. Anthony's relation with the coal business, covering a period of over forty years, is a very remarkable record, and his business career has been honorable as well as successful.
Since 1877 Mr. Anthony has been a resident of Drownville, now West Barrington, in the town of Barrington, being one of the town's substantial citizens and leading business men. For a number of years he performed efficient service in the town council, of which body he served as president. In 1864 Charles F. Anthony married Harriet Aspinwall Davis, of Providence, daughter of Edward Nelson and Jane (Anthony) Davis, the latter a daughter of Giles Anthony, of Warwick Neck. Three children blessed this union, namely: (1) Edward Davis, born Dec. 12, 1869, is general manager of the Pawtucket Steam & Gas Pipe Company. (2) Walter Tillinghast, born Sept. 3, 1871, is State agent at Manchester, N. H., of the National Cash Register Company. (3) George Allen, born May 22, 1875, graduated from Brown University in the class of 1895, is engaged as expert marine engineer by the United States War Department at Washington, and on April 1, 1904 was appointed an adjunct professor of mechanical engineering in the Columbian University there.
(VIII) Orrin Spencer Anthony, son of Charles and Hannah A. (Tillnghast) Anthony and brother of Charles F., was born Nov. 1, 1852 in Providence R. I. In boyhood he attended the public schools of Providence and was also a student in the Mowry and Goff private school, of that city. After his school days were over, in 1868, he began his practical business career in the Providence Custom House with his father. Two years later in 1870, he entered the employ of the Providence & New York Steamboat Company, as receiving and freight clerk, on one of the passenger propellors, remaining with the company until 1877. During this term of service he was one of the fortunate survivors of the steamer "Metis", lost off Watch Hill Aug. 30, 1872. In 1878-79 Mr. Anthony was passenger agent at Providence for the New England Railroad Company. From 1880 to 1901 he was in the service of the American Screw Company, Providence, as purchasing agent of that concern. His energies are now chiefly devoted to the Anthony Coal & Lumber Company, of which he is president, treasurer and general manager. It is the successor of the Riverside Coal & Lumber Company, which he purchased in 1903 and reorganized under the present name.
Besides making a success of his private enterprises he has taken an interest in the general welfare which has resulted in achievements of no small importance, and highly creditable to his ability, as well as indicative of public spirit of unusual strength. He served as chairman of the executive committee which obtained the charter and turned it over to the United Railroad Company, and thus was instrumental in securing the suburban line built from Providence to Bristol. Since 1886 Mr. Anthony has been a resident of the town of Barrington, and has been active in that town's well-being, taking a commendable interest in its growth and improvement. He is an enthusiastic member of the Barrington Rural Improvement Association, which he served officially for a number of years, as secretary and treasurer, and later, in 1895-96, as president. He was a member of the Barrington council in 1890-91.
On Jan. 23, 1879, Mr. Anthony was united in marriage with Harriet Lathrop, of Worcester, Mass., daughter of Edward Lathrop, and they have had three children, born as follows: Ruth Lathrop, June 25, 1880 (married Albert Sargeant Davis, of New York City); Harrington Tillinghast, April 26, 1884; and Louise, July 24 1888.
(IV) John Anthony, son of William and Mary (Coggeshall ) Anthony, was born Nov. 16, 1708. He married Lydia Luther (daughter of Hezekiah and Martha Luther, of Swansea), who was born Sept. 19, 1714. They had eleven children, as follows: William, born Dec. 2, 1734; Job, Dec. 8, 1736; Avis, May 4, 1739; Edward, Aug. 10, 1741; Israel, Jan. 24, 1743; Sarah, April 4, 1746; Elizabeth, March 31, 1748; Lydia, May 17, 1750; John Jr., July 1, 1752; Gardner, Oct. 30 1754; Jonathan, July 12, 1757.
(V) Gardner Anthony, son of John and Lydia (Luther) Anthony, born Oct. 30, 1754, married Sarah Slade, daughter of Charles Slade, of Somerset. He died July 22 1833, she on April 15, 1825. Their eleven children were: Sally, born Sept. 14, 1780; Gardner, Jr., Feb. 6, 1783; Ruth, Sept. 26, 1784; Hannah, Sept. 24, 1786; John, Jan. 31, 1789; Lydia, Aug. 18, 1791; Mahala, Dec. 23, 1793; Jonathan, Dec. 4, 1795; Israel, Aug. 17, 1797, Betsey, June 2, 1799, Anna Maria, Nov. 5, 1801.
(VI) Gardner Anthony, Jr., son of Gardner and Sarah (Slade) Anthony, born Feb. 6, 1783, died July 19, 1859. He married Sarah Chace, daughter of Jonathan and Martha Chace, July 9, 1807. She was born June 13, 1778. They settled in Swansea and their children were as follows: Elizabeth Slade, born June 26, 1808; Mary Buffum, Dec. 2, 1809; Gardner Shays, Oct. 7, 1811; Sarah Chace, Oct. 28, 1813; Phebe Slade, Oct. 27, 1816; Jonathan Chace, April 28, 1820; David Chace, Nov. 12, 1823. Phebe died when a young lady, but all the others married and had families.
(VII) Jonathan Chace Anthony, son of Gardner, Jr. and Sarah (Chace) Anthony, born April 28, 1820, was married to Submit Anthony Lee, daughter of John and Deborah Lee, of Somerset, Mass., May 6, 1846, at Warren, R. I., by Rev. B. W. Hatfield. They settled at once in Somerset, Mass., near the head of Lee's river, in a cottage built by Jonathan C. Anthony just previous to their marriage. They had one child, a son, born April 26, 1847, who was named Albert Lee Anthony. Mrs. Anthony died Dec. 11, 1851, and on Jan. 23, 1854, Mr. Anthony married for his second wife Rebecca Smith Wordell, daughter of Percy and Rebecca Wordell, Fall River, Mass. By this union he had one son, Charles Harris Anthony, born July 9, 1862, who died Dec. 4, 1862. Mrs. Rebecca Smith (Wordell) Anthony died April 5, 1863, and Jonathan Chace Anthony was again married, on August. 28, 1864, this time to Lydia Ann Robinson, daughter of Benjamin and Martha M. Robinson, of Swansea. Their children were: Walter Robinson, born Oct. 4, 1867; Ira Mason, Aug. 9, 1869; Mary Edminster, May 12, 1876.
(IV) Albert Lee Anthony, son of Jonathan C. and Submit Anthony (Lee), born April 26, 1847, in Somerset, Mass., was married Sept. 9, 1874, to Anna Elizabeth Bullock, who was born in Killingly, Conn, May 1, 1852, only daughter of James W. and Sarah J. (Amsbury) Bullock. Two children, a son and a daughter, have come to bless the union: Atala Lee, born Feb. 9, 1877, and Willard Bullock, born Jan. 14, 1889.
Mr. Anthony's primary education was received in the public schools of his home town. This in time was supplemented by a three months' course in a business college. At the early age of sixteen years he began the practical work of life. He started out both reliant and reliable, with a firm purpose to deserve success, whether he won it or not. Leaving the paternal roof, he began at that early age to shift for himself. For more than four years, with true Yankee versatility, he turned his hand to whatever offered. Farming in summer, book canvassing and teaching country school in winter, first engaged his attention. He naturally drifted to Providence, the principal city in the neighborhood, where, in the summer of 1868, he made a short-lived venture into the grocery business, and the next summer essayed the intelligence line with disastrous results. Subsequently after these various experiences, young Anthony became a clerk in one of the mill stores of the extensive manufacturing establishments of Messrs. A. & W. Sprague, remaining with the concern three years--until its failure, by which time he had risen to be assistant agent in charge of their seven stores. This proved to be the turning-point in his fortunes, for here he attracted the attention of the great clothing firm of J. B. Barnaby & Co., with whom he had been brought into business contact, and when he found himself without a situation, early in 1874, he was promptly taken into the employ of this latter firm, as a bookkeeper. In January, 1884, he was admitted a partner in the concern, and in June, 1889, when it was incorporated under the name of the J. B. Barnaby Company, Mr. Anthony was elected secretary and treasurer. A few months later, on Mr. Barnaby's death, he also became vice-president. The confidence reposed in Mr. Anthony's integrity and ability was well illustrated by Mr. Barnaby making him, by will, one of the trustees of his estate, which approximated a million dollars. The J. B. Barnaby Company was one of the most extensive ready-made clothing concerns in New Enland, having large establishments at Providence, Boston, New Haven, Bridgeport, Kansas City and Fall River, and Mr. Anthony had charge of the financial department of all these until February, 1893, when the business was sold out. He then became secretary and treasurer of the Rhode Island Safe Deposit Company, continuing in that position until July 1, 1903, when he resigned. Now his time is devoted to the affairs of the Barnaby estate and t a brokerage business of considerable importance. For six years Mr. Anthony was also one of the directors of the Barnaby Manufacturing Company, of Fall River, one of the largest manufacturing plants of ginghams in the United States; and he has been for several years auditor of the Roger Williams Loan and Savings Association of Providence. He has taken a commendable interest in municipal affairs, and served four years --from 1893 to 1897-- in the city council from the Seventh ward, throughout that period being a member of the Finance committee.
Mr. Anthony is a member of various societies and orders. As a Knight of Honor he has from the first been active and zealous. He was the first candidate initiated in Golden Rule Lodge and has held that office in that lodge nearly ever since. He was its treasurer for more than a dozen years. Admitted to the Grand Lodge March 31, 1881, he served that body as Grand Chaplain in 1882; represented the Golden Rule Lodge in the Grand Lodge in 1881, 1886 and 1887; was alternate in 1889 and 1890; was second on the Finance Committee of the Grand Lodge in 1881, and chairman of that Committee in 1883; has been a deputy over several lodges at different time; frequently served on important committees; was Grand Guide in 1890; Grand Assistant Dictator in 1891; Grand Vice Dictator in 1892, and Grand Dictator in 1893. For many years he has taken an active interest in the Royal Arcanum, was the first regent of Unity Council, one of the largest councils in Rhode Island, and has held some office in this council each year since it was formed, in 1879. At the formation of the Grand Council of the State, in 1890, he was chosen to be the first Grand Regent by acclamation, holding the office for one year with signal ability. He is also prominent in the Masonic fraternity, having attained the thirty-second degree in Rhode Island Consistory, and been at the head of his council, chapter and commandery. He has served as Grand Master of the Grand Council of Royal and Select Masters of Rhode Island, and is a representative of the Grand Council of Pennsylvania. He has served as Grand High Priest of the Grand Chapter of the Royal Arch Masons in Rhode Island, and is a representative of the Grand Chapters of Illinois, Connecticut and Pennsylvania. Mr. Anthony is a director and treasurer of the Providence Boys' Club; a director and life member of the Home for Aged Men; has been a life member of the Rhode Island Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Children since 1892, a director since 1894, and a member of the Executive committee, is a member of the Corporation of St. Andrew's Industrial School, and a life member and director of the Rhode Island Humane Education Society. He is identified in matters of religion with the Church of the Epiphany --the church of the family.
The following paragraph, taken from "Club and Professional Life," gives a character sketch of Mr. Anthony worth quoting:
"Mr. Anthony, an adopted son of Rhode Island, is the embodiment of that peculiar American production, the typical self-made man, and a notable example of men who by perseverance, economy and integrity have risen from obscure surroundings to a conspicuous place in social, financial, political, commercial and political walks of life. His parents were modest, prepossessing people, whose instincts, vocation and aspirations were honorable, a sterling ancestry capable of true heroism, with a genial spirit of self-sacrifice, and yet with a force and determination of character suggestive of moral grandeur. They endowed their only child with a cheerful, genial disposition, equable temperament, patient, persistent perseverance, which qualified him for the success which has characterized his career. Although his early life was clouded by illness he maintained a brave, unflinching and exceedingly successful struggle for an education, attending now and then the district schools of Somerset, and devoting his evenings to study at home, he was enabled to prepare himself to enter Eastman's Business Collee, Poughkeepsie, N. Y., from which he graduated with honor."
(VII) David Chace Anthony, son of Gardner, Jr., and Sarah (Chace) Anthony, was born Nov. 12, 1823, in Swansea, Mass. After an early life spent on the farm, and with such education as was afforded by the district school of those days, he came to Providence and engaged in the hatting business. In this he continued until the year 1854, when he sold this business to engage in the furniture line as a member of the firm of Potter, Anthony & Dennison. He was identified with the business for eleven years and after a successful career sold his interest in 1865 to purchase the Providence Ice Company. The same year he consolidated is interests with that of Earl Carpenter & Sons, and continued in this business until his death six years later. He passed away in Plymouth, N. H., Sept. 5, 1871, while returning from a sojourn in the White Mountains.
On Sept. 15, 1851, Mr. Anthony was married at Providence to Sarah Clark Carpenter, born Jan. 18, 1830, daughter of Earl and Sarah Ann Harris Carpenter. They had four children: Earl Carpenter, born July 15, 1852; Sarah Ann Harris, Jan. 9, 1854; Gardner Chace, April 24, 1856; and David Chace, Jr., July 7, 1870.
(VIII) Earl Carpenter Anthony, born July 15, 1852, died in 1892. He was a member of the firm of Earl Carpenter & Co. He married Susan S. Weaver, and they had one child, Charles Weaver.
(VIII) Gardner Chace Anthony, born April 24, 1856, is dean of the Department of Engineering at Tufts College, Massachusetts. He is marrid to Susan Pearson, and they have one son, Charles Pearson.
(VIII) David Chace Anthony, born July 7, 1870, engaged in the ice business in early manhood, and since 1904 has been interested in the leather business. He is a member of the West Side Club and the Wannamoisett Country Club. In October, 1895, Mr. Anthony married Adele F. Weaver, daughter of George E. Weaver, and they have had three children, born as follows: Rowland W., July 23, 1897; Harris C., Feb. 11, 1901; David C., Jr., May 23, 1907.
DANIEL REED ANTHONY, one of the most prominent members of the Anthony
family, was born in Adams, Mass., Aug. 22, 1824, a son of Daniel and Lucy
(Reed) Anthony, and a brother of Susan B. Anthony. His early life was spent
in the State of New York, in attendance upon an academy at Union Springs,
N. Y., and at work in his father's cotton-mill and store at Battenville.
In 1854 he visited Kansas with the first Colony sent out by the New England
Society, under the leadership of Eli Thayer. That year he became a citizen
of Leavenworth. When the Civil war broke out, he was commissioned lieutenant-colonel
of the 1st Kansas Cavalry; he commanded his troops successfully at the
battle of Little Blue, in November, 1861, and the following year was on
duty in Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi and Alabama. On resigning he resumed
his duties as postmaster of Leavenworth, to which position he had been
appointed by President Lincoln in April, 1861. In 1863 he was elected mayor
by a large majority, and his administration was characterized by a vigorous
policy and great progressiveness. Since May, 1871, he has been know as
editor and proprietor of the Leavenworth Times.
The Newport County Reading Room Index More Biographies & History .