GEORGE EAMES BARSTOW - The Barstow family is of French Norman extraction and emigrated from Normandy to England at the time of William the Conqueror advent into English History. According to 'Magna Brittanica', the Lordship of Barstow was held in the reign of Richard I of England by a cadet of the ancient family of Fitz Haman. He was a man of great distinction, and through him his descendants obtained the designation of de Barstowe.
In 1247 John de Barstowe obtained a grant by charter to hold a market in the Manor de Barstowe. The estate descended to Richard de Barstowe, who in 1367 made a grant of the manor. The 'de' and final 'e' was dropped from the name during the fifteenth century. The family was for several generations located at Naburn Hall, East Riding, Yorkshire, England, where many of the name still reside.
William Barstow, a son of Thomas Barstow (the latter being a brother of Michael Barstow, a prominent merchant of York, whose portrait still hangs in Naburn Hall), when he was twenty-three years of age, came in September, 1635, in the ship 'Truelove' to America. He was one of the proprietors and signers for the incorporation of the town of Dedham, Massachusetts, in 1636, and appeared before the General Court in June of that year. He married at Dedham, Massachusetts, May 8, 1638, Ann Hubbard, who was admitted to the church, July 16, 1641. William Barstow removed to Scituate, Massachusetts, and became the first settler of that part of the town which is now called Hanover. In 1664 he contracted to build a bridge and keep it in repairs in that town. He was a man of high respectability and a most worthy and enterprising citizen; a man of note and an extensive landholder. He died in Scituate in 1668. His children were: Joseph, born April 6, 1639; Mary, born October 28, 1641; Patience, born October 3, 1643; Deborah, baptized August 18, 1650; William, see below; and Martha, baptized April 22, 1655.
William (2) Barstow, son of William (1) and Ann (Hubbard) Barstow, was baptized in Scituate, Massachusetts, in September, 1652, married and occupied his father's homestead in his native town. He was possessed of a saw mill besides other property and to some extent was engaged in the business of ship building. His will bears date of 1711, his property being bequeathed to his seven children.
Of this family Benjamin Barstow was the youngest son, being born July 22, 1690. He married (first) December 2, 1709, Mercy Randall. She died December 17, 1728, in Hanover, Massachusetts. His second wife was Sarah Barden (or Burden) of Middleboro, Massachusetts; her death occurred about 1738; he married (third) November 22, 1738, Mrs. Ruth Wilson. Mr. Barstow lived on the old homestead in Scituate, Massachusetts, and was a shipwright by trade, his yard being located near the 'N" river bridge. He is said to have been the father of twenty-one children.
Caleb Barstow, youngest son of Benjamin Barstow, was born in 1740, and married, November 23, 1770, Sylvina Magoun, of Pembroke, Massachusetts. Caleb Barstow died in Windsor, Connecticut, March 17, 1800.
Nathaniel Barstow, the youngest son of Caleb and Sylvina (Magoun) Barstow, was born in Providence, Rhode Island, April 28, 1788. He was a soldier in the War of 1812. He married Sophia Chafee.
Amos Chafee Barstow, son of Nathaniel and Sophia (Chafee) Barstow, was born at Providence, Rhode Island, April 30, 1813. He was educated at the public and private schools in his native city. He decided to forego the advantages of a collegiate education on account of his passion for mechanics and commercial pursuits. His first position was in a retail store, where he remained only six months, having been tendered employment at double the wages he was then receiving. He advanced from one position to another until 1836, when he became a partner in a small iron foundry at Norton, Massachusetts, engaged in the manufacture of stoves. Here he gave evidence of his mechanical genius; wood at this time was the principal fuel used in America. Anthracite coal was just beginning to come in use for factory purposes, but found its way slowly into houses for use in grates. A small amount of soft coal was imported from England. The stoves for cooking purposes were arranged for the use of wood only; the variety was small, the workmanship faulty and coarse, and their demand limited. Mr. Barstow had for some time been working with a view to making improvements in the manufacture of stoves and made his first pattern in the fall of 1836. In the spring of the following year the result of his improvements was placed upon the market and the stoves met with a ready sale. The capacity of the factory was doubled in size, and in the fall of 1844 removed to Providence, Rhode Island, where it was enlarged from year to year. The products manufactured were sold in all parts of America, in the islands of the Pacific, China, Norway, Sweden, Germany and England.
Mr. Barstow was originally an old time Whig, but in the organization of the Republican party became identified with it, and he became prominent in the temperance and anti-slavery movements. He was elected in 1851 a member of the Rhode Island General Assembly, and in 1870 was made speaker of the house. He was elected mayor of Providence in 1852, and declined a re-election on account of the pressure of his personal business and a natural disinclination for public life. President Grant appointed him in 1875 a member of the United States Board of Indian Commissioners, which office he held until 1880 and he was chairman of the board during the last two years. Mr. Barstow was president of the City National Bank, president of the Mechanics Savings Bank, president of the Providence Gas Company and Mechanics Mutual Fire Insurance Company, a director in the Rhode Island Hospital Trust Company, and an officer in various religious and benevolent organizations, national as well as local. Nothwithstanding the engrossing demands of his business, he was always ready to work in the cause of philanthropy, either as a private or a public citizen.
Mr. Barstow married, May 24, 1834, Emeline Mumford Eames, daughter of James and Sarah (Mumford) Eames, of Providence, Rhode Island. His death occurred at Providence, September 5, 1894.
George Eames Barstow, son of Amos Chafee and Emeline Mumford (Eames) Barstow, was born in Providence, Rhode Island, November 19, 1849. He received his education in the public schools and Mowry & Goff's English and Classical School of Providence, Rhode Island. His business career commenced when he was only seventeen eyars of age. He acquired a thorough knowledge of textile manufacturing, financiering and a complete training in general affairs. He has financed, founded or organized the Barstow Thread Company, the American Writing Paper Company, the United States Envelope Company, the Providence Warehouse Company, the National and Providence Worsted Mills, the Barstow Irrigation Company, the Barstow Town Company of Barstow, Texas, of which he is president.
Besides his successful business career, Mr. Barstow has always taken an active part in municipal, State and church affairs, and in public education. A member of the Congregational church from youth, he has served in many important offices in that denomination. A Republican in politics, he was for fourteen years a member of the school board of the City of Providence, the last year of his service being president. He was for four years a member of the Providence Common Council, and was elected a representative in the Rhode Island General Assembly for three successive terms. During his legislative career, he served on several important committees. He was the father of the act putting into operation the Bertillion System for measuring criminals; also an amendment to the criminal law concerning the punishment of habitual criminals and the so-called 'Anti-Lottery Act'.
Mr. Barstow was the pioneer in irrigation of arid lands in the Southwest, and in 1894 he founded the town of Barstow, the county seat of Ward county, Texas. Simultaneous with the founding of the town, he constructed substantial works capable of irrigating thirty thousand acres of land which were located in the Pecos valley surrounding the town of Barstow. The products obtained from the land under this system became famous throughout the United States. By Mr. Barstow's energy, foresight, and persistent application, two blades of grass grew in this desert land where nothing but mesquite grew before.
Notwithstanding that Mr. Barstow has been untiring in his application to public and private affairs, he has always found sometime to spend with the best writers of history and fiction. His various contributions to the press, both in prose and song, have discovered not only his ability, but also his love of association with those elements that lead to refinement in life and character. He is the author of 'Good Government Co-operative Societies', 'Creation of a World Centre of Communication', 'Shall We Bar the Immigrant?' 'Applied Psychology', 'Shall Democracy Endure?' and 'Shall Democracy Endure in the United States?' etc.
Mr. Barstow was president of the National Drainage Association, 1906-07; the International Irrigation Congress, 1908-09; upon invitation of President Roosevelt he was a member of the Conference of the Governors at the White House, May, 1908, and was the guest of the president on the trip down the Mississippi river; he is vice-president of the Texas Conservation Congress, and president of the West Texas Reclamation Association; a member of the American Forestry Association; chairman of the Pan-American Committee National Irrigation Congress; and a life member of the Luther Burbank Society, Santa Rosa, California.
As an advocate of peace amongst the nations of the world his love of travel has not only made him familiar with all parts of his native land, but he has paid visits to countries of other peoples to study their habits and enter into the full enjoyment of their productions in art and music and revel in all the beauties that nature has there produced. He is a member of the American Association for International Conciliation; the National Conservation Association; the National Committee for the Celebration of the One Hundredth Anniversary of Peace among English Speaking Peoples, of New York; of the National Executive Committee; United States Progressive Federation; Societe Academique d'Historie International, Paris; The Citizens National Committee for the Third Conference at the Hague of New York; The International League to Enforce Peace of New York; the International World Conscience Society of Rome, Italy; The Sulgrave Institution, New York, and London; Royal Society of Arts, London; American Society for the Judicial Settlement of International Disputes.
Mr. Barstow is a life director of the Euphrates College at Harport, Turkey; was a trustee of the Hartford Theological Seminary of Hartford, Connecticut; is a life member and fellow of the Society of Applied Psychology of San Francisco, California; a member of the American Society of International Law, Washington; the National Institute of Social Sciences of New York; the World Court Congress of Cleveland, Ohio; the Southern Sociological Congress of Nashville, Tennessee; a correspondent of the Mohonk Lake Conference; a councilor of the American Institute of Civics; a member of the American Academy of Political Science of New York. He is a member of the National Child Labor Committee; has been honorary president of the Boy Scouts of America; a member of the Rhode Island Historical Society; the Southern Historical Association; is a member of the National Geographic Society of Washington, D. C., the Museum of Natural History of New York City, the Pennsylvania Society of Fine Arts of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and the National Arts Club, New York.
Mr. Barstow is well and favorably known in social, business and patriotic circles. He is a member of the Empire State Society of Sons of American Revolution; of the Navy League; member of the Committee of Presentation of the Lincoln Statue, London; World's Court League, New York; he is an honorary member of the Chamber of Commerce of Dallas, Texas, and has been a member of the Lawyer's, New York, and Republican clubs of New York City; also the Hamilton Club, of Chicago, Illinois.
Mr. Barstow married at Providence, Rhode Island, October 9, 1871, Clara Drew Symonds. Mrs. Barstow was born September 10, 1852, was a daughter of Jacob and Caroline Amelia (Hartwell) Symonds. Her father was a member of the well-known firm of Taylor, Symonds & Company, of Providence, Rhode Island, and was at one time a member of the Legislature of that State. The children by this marriage are six sons and three daughters: George Eames, Jr., Herbert Symonds, Harold C., John P., Putnam, Donald, Caroline Hartwell, Helen L., and Marguerite.
RT. REV. MATTHEW HARKINS, D. D. -- The term 'father' as applied to a priest is particularly appropriate to Bishop Harkins, for he is a father indeed to the poor and needy, and to all in need of help, material or spiritual. A man of learning and culture, he has received the honors of his church in a spirit of humility and thankfulness, rejoicing in the greater opportunity it gives him to advance the spiritual kingdom of the Master, and to serve the church of his choice. He is a tireless worker, and from his ordination in 1869 has given to the church the full strength of his physical and intellectual vigor.
Matthew Harkins, son of Patrick and Margaret (Krauitch) Harkins, was born in Boston, Massachusetts, November 17, 1845. His education was begun in Tremont street primary school and continued in the Quincy grammar school, his parents having moved within the jurisdiction of the latter school. At the age of fourteen he was graduated from the Quincy school with special honors, winner of the Franklin medal. He then entered Boston Latin School, pursued a three years' course and was graduated, class of 1862. The following year was spent at Holy Cross College, Worcester, Massachusetts, pursuing a special course in rhetoric. Following this he went abroad, and at the English College in Douai, France, continued his special study in higher rhetoric.
This completed his purely classical study, and for the following five years he was a student at the famed Seminary of St. Surplice, Paris, there completing his theological study, and on May 22, 1869, at the last-named seminary he was ordained a priest of the Roman Catholic church. He was at once assigned to the active ministry of the church, but was sent to Rome by his superiors for a higher course of theology and canon law. His studies in Rome were pursued at the Universitas Gregoriana under the eminent Jesuit professors, Trauzelin and Palmieri. He returned to Boston in 1870, his first duty being in filling pastorates temporarily deprived of their regular pastor through absence or sickness. In October, 1870, he was appointed curate of the Church of the Immaculate Conception, Salem, which then included Beverly and Manchester-by-the-Sea. For five and one-half years, until April, 1876, he served as assistant, then was installed pastor of St. Malachi's Church, Arlington, Massachusetts, to which was attached the missions of Lexington and Belmont. He served St. Malachi's most acceptably until 1884, his next appointment being to the pastorate of the important parish of St. James of Boston, then the largest parish in New England. In his previous pastorates and at St. James he had attracted the favorable notice of Archbishop Williams, and when the Third Penary Council was held in Baltimore, Maryland, Father Harkins accompanied the Archbishop as theologian. In 1886 he was apointed consultor and synodical examiner. His qualifications and valuable service was recognized by his superiors, and in April 14, 1887, he was consecrated Bishop of Providence, in succession to Bishop Hendricken.
CHARLES ELIAB BALLOU -- More than a century ago Charles E. Ballou entered the service of the Woonsocket Institution for Savings, as a clerk. The years have brought him honors both of a business and public nature, and since 1913 he has been vice-president of the bank he entered a youth of nineteen. He is the only son of Eliab Metcalf Ballou, grandson of Levi (2) Ballou, the great-grandson of Levi (1) Ballou, a Revolutionary patriot. This Levi (1) Ballou was a son of Ezekiel Ballou, son of Obadiah Ballou, son of James Ballou, son of Maturin Ballou, who was of Providence, Rhode Island, in 1646, being granted land there in that year. He married Hannah Pike, daughter of Robert and Catherine Pike. Providence, Rhode Island, and Wrentham, Massachusetts, were early homes, and when Wrentham became Cumberland, Rhode Island, that state became the family center. The family became numerous in that section, the homestead being about three-fourths of a mile from the place of worship known as the Ballou Meeting House. Levi (2) Ballou, of the sixth generation, inherited the eastern part of his father's estate, and was one of the substantial men of the Cumberland section. He married, May 10, 1804, Hepsibah Metcalf, daughter of Thomas and Jemima (Roy) Metcalf, of Wrentham. He died June 4, 1836, aged fifty-four, his wife surviving him until November 20, 1860, aged eighty-two years. They were the parents of: Eliab Metcalf, of further mention; Harriet Miriam; Caroline Eliza; Latimer Whipple Ballou, LL. D., cashier and treasurer of the Woonsocket Institution for Savings, 1850 until 1897, member of Congress, and a prominent Universalist; Jane Wilkinson; Levi Thompson; and Mary Freeman.
Eliab Metcalf Ballou was born in Cumberland, Rhode Island, April 20, 1805, and died in Woonsocket, Rhode Island, April 28, 1857. For a number of years he followed his trade, mason and builder, then entered business life as a partner in the Woonsocket Baking Company. Like his father, he was a Universalist, strongly grounded in the faith, becoming a member early in life, and until his death was an earnest, faithful worker in the Woonsocket Society and in the Sunday school from 1840 until his death. He married Mary Ann Cushman, born in Attleboro, Massachusetts, May 31, 1807, died January 14, 1875, daughter of Joseph and Nancy Cushman. Mr. and Mrs. Ballou were the parents of Ellen Maria, born October 18, 1831; Sarah Jane, born February 13, 1837, died September 16, 1838; Mary Cushman, born September 25, 1839, died January 15, 1891; Charles Eliab, of further mention; Caroline Eliza, born November 5, 1846, married Charles E. Benson, and died June 3, 1870.
Charles Eliab Ballou was born in Woonsocket, Rhode Island, November 5, 1846, and was educated in the graded and high schools of the city. He began business life in association with his father, then a partner in the Woonsocket Baking Company, there continuing until becoming clerk and bookkeeper with a manufacturing company, and later was clerk in a wall paper and crockery store. This last position was held until 1865, when he entered the service of the Woonsocket Institution for Savings, his uncle Latimer Whipple Ballou, then being cashier of that institution. He began as a clerk and rose through various positions in the bank until he became assistant to the treasurer. Latimer Whipple Ballou, who had long been treasurer of the bank, died May 9, 1900, Charles E. Ballou, his former assistant, being chosen to succeed him in the treasurer's office. He occupied that post for thirteen years, then was elected vice-president, his present office. This long term of service in clerical and official position, 1885 - 1918, has developed the capable financier, strong, self-reliant and resourceful, thoroughly versed in financial law, procedure and custom, ranking with the ablest financiers of his city. Mr. Ballou is a Republican in politics, influential in the party and deeply interested in all that pertains to the public good. He served the city of Woonsocket for two years as a member of the Board of Aldermen, and for several years was treasurer of the Woonsocket Hospital. He served on the staff of Governor Charles W. Lippett, with the rank of colonel, and in religious preference is a Universalist. He has long been a member of the Masonic order and holds the thirty-second degree, and an Accepted Scottish Rite.
Mr. Ballou married Emma G. Cook, daughter of Reuben O. Cook, of Woonsocket. They were the parents of two children: Carrie L., born June 16, 1870; Clarence Earl, born November 26, 1872. Mrs. Ballou died January 6, 1913.
CHARLES PARKER DARLING -- Although a box manufacturer of the city of Providence, Rhode Island, for thirty years, prior to his retirement in 1912, it must not be inferred that Mr. Darling's business career was confined within those limits of time or location, for from 1850 until 1880 his life was one of excitement and change, the great west and northwest being the scenes of his activities. He is now nearing nonagenarian distinction, but when, in 1850, he reached the end of the railroad in Galena, Illinois, he was the youth of twenty filled with a spirit of adventure, which drove him further beyond the then frontier, as defined by the railroad. During his thirty years of western life he touched many points of the history of towns and localities, now well known, then in the making. He was one of the earliest settlers at Fairbault, Minnesota, and of Deadwood, South Dakota, and his activities included real estate dealing, gold mining in California, merchandising, lumbering and hydraulic mining. During these years Mr. Darling returned to Massachusetts, and engaged in business, but again the west called him and he answered. But in 1880 he returned permanently and at Providence, Rhode Island, located the C. P. Darling Box Manufactory, which he successfully operated for thirty years. There is little of western experience through which Mr. Darling has not passed. Sitting Bull and his Indians were familiar to him in the Black Hills, and his acquaintance included names familiar to the whole world, pioneers, soldiers and railway builders. He saw the bands of steel extended from the Missouri river to the Pacific coast, superseding the emigrant train and pony express rider; saw the vast buffalo herds of the north and south Platte sections disappear, and the 'Great American Desert' of his school days transferred into the great granary of the world, and in this development he bore a part. Add all this to the thirty years' experience of a Providence manufacturer, and a true idea is gained of the wonderful life of Charles Parker Darling, now nearing its ninetieth year.
The Darling families of Massachusetts and Rhode Island are of earliest Colonial times, and men high in official and business life have borne the name with honor. Charles P. Darling is a son of Simeon Darling, a woolen manufacturer of Douglass, Massachusetts, who there died after a successful business career. Another son of Simeon Darling was Edwin Darling, a veteran of the Civil War, who died at the home of his brother, Charles P. Darling, in Providence, at the age of eighty-four.
Charles Parker Darling was born in Douglass, Massachusetts, August 27, 1830, now (1918) living in retirement in the city of Providence, Rhode Island. He attended the district school until fourteen years of age, then began his long and active business life as clerk in a general country store. He also worked for a time in a shoe shop, and during the years up to twenty he was variously employed, but by economy accumulated a fund which was used to pay his way as far west as the railroad could take him. This was in 1850, and his western destination Galena, Illinois. From Galena he made his way to Burlington, Iowa, thence to St. Paul, and later to Faribault, Minnesota, his first year in Faribault being spent in saw mill employment. Later he purchased town lots from General Shields, and there continued in the real estate business quite successfully, reinvesting his profits in Faribault property and also owning lots at St. Cloud and Owatanna. In 1857 panic conditions prevailed and caused a dullness which Mr. Darling could not stand, and he left Faribault, going to the gold mines in California, where he spent fourteen years. Later he moved to Youbet, ten miles from Valley City, established a grocery business, and conducted hydraulic mining operations with a fair degree of profit, there continuing twelve years, 1860-72.
He had then been in the west twenty-two years, had progressed from the age of twenty to forty-two, then decided to return to Massachusetts. He arranged his business affairs, came east in 1872, and until the fall of 1875 remained in Massachusetts. Then the West won him, he going to the Black Hills. There he tented with the first settlers of what is now Deadwood, the capital of Laurence county, South Dakota, the metropolis of the western half of that State, and the commercial capital of the western part of the State. Mr. Darling remained at Deadwood five and one-half years, was the owner of two mines and other property, and there ended his western career.
In 1880 he closed out his Deadwood holdings and returned to Massachusetts, there engaging in the lumber business at Oxford for two years, then locating in Providence, Rhode Island, and engaging in box manufacture. As a branch of the C. P. Darling box factory he secured timber tracts in Vermont, and smaller tracts in Rhode Island, operating saw mills on his Vermont tracts which converted the spruce timber into merchantable lumber. Other mills were employed in cutting lumber for the box factory. This line of manufacturing was continued for thirty years, until Mr. Darling's well-earned retirement, he being then well over eighty years of age. He had had several other Providence business interests, and during his residence has been constant in his support of all movements for a bigger, better Providence. He was one of the men who came to the relief of the Union Trust Company in a time of financial distress, and is yet interested in that institution. He is a Republican in political faith, and a man highly regarded wherever known.
Mr. Darling married, January 22, 1863, Catharine M. Dunston, of Grass Valley, Nevada county, California, and they are the parents of two daughters: 1. Elizabeth, married Walter T. Paine, who is now in the land department at Washington, D. C.; they are the parents of Charles Edwin Paine, now attending Maryland College. 2. Kathrine, married Herbert L. Chatterton, a druggist of Providence. Mrs. Darling died January 2, 1914.