GEORGE BRADFORD DRAPER -- A worthy son of an honored father, George B. Draper, brings to the duties of secretary and manager of the J. O. Draper Company the same energy and ability which characterized the founder, and in this youngest son the advocates of heredity may find proof of their contention 'Blood will tell'. George B., the youngest son of James O. Draper, was born in Bedford, Mass., December 29, 1859. He was educated in the public schools of Pawtucket, R. I., and after completing his studies served an apprenticeship at the wood engraver's trade, his instructor being John C. Thompson of Providence, R. I. He remained with Mr. Thompson four years, then in his twenty-first year opened a wood engraving plant of his own, continuing until photo engraving and other mechanical processes drove the wood engraver out of business. His shop on Westminster street was well patronized, his tenancy there covering a period of about four years. In 1882, he entered the employ of his father, then head of the firm, J. O. Draper Company, and under his father's instruction and direction inbibed the principles upon which the Draper business was founded and conducted. He proved an apt student, his talent for business needing but the opportunity to prove its strength and value. In 1885, he was appointed superintendent of the J. O. Draper Company plant, and in that capacity served most efficiently for ninteen years, 1885-1904. The incorporation of the business as J. O. Draper Company in 1904, brought Mr. Draper prominently into the official force as director, secretary and general manager. His connection with the business has been continuous since 1882, and now covers a period of thirty-six years. He is a member of the Pawtucket Business Men's Club; Union Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons; Pawtucket Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; Pawtucket Council, Royal and Select Masters; and Enterprise Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. In politics he is a Republican.
Mr. Draper married, November 30, 1882, Sarah M. Phinney, daughter of Squire Z. and Sarah Niles (Gray) Phinney of Pawtucket. Mr. and Mrs. Draper are the parents of two sons: George Bradford (2), of further mention; and Fred. Z., born in Pawtucket, March 21, 1886, educated in the grade and high schools of the city, studied with the intention of becoming an optician, but decided in favor of an out-of-door life, and located upon the Draper homestead farm at North Attleboro.
G. BRADFORD DRAPER -- Of the third generation to hold official relation with the J. O. Draper Company, Incorporated, and the second to fill the office of suerpintendent, G. Bradford Draper brought to his task inherited ability, plus the advantages of an advanced education and special training. That he ably fills a post which called forth the best efforts of his predecessors is again proof that heredity is an influence which cannot lightly be dealt with. G. Bradford Draper, son of George B. and Sarah M. (Draper) [sic - should read "(Phinney) Draper"] , was born in Pawtucket, R. I., October 29, 1884. After completing grade and high school study he pursued courses at Brown University, specializing in chemistry, as preparation for the business career he was destined to follow. He was inducted into the intricacies of the business of the J. O. Draper Company, under the direction of his father, as the latter had been by his father, and became one of the men under whose leadership the company prospered and waxed great.
In January, 1913, he was elected superintendent of J. O. Draper Company, Incorporated, his present office, he also being a member of the board of directors.
Mr. Draper married, December 31, 1906, Ethel S. Koerner, daughter of Hugo Koerner, of Providence, R I. They were the parents of two daughters, Dorothy K. and Gretchen S. Mr. Draper is a member of the Pawtucket Business Men's Association, and the American Chemical Society. In politics he is a Republican.
ARTHUR W. STANLEY, of Pawtucket, president and treasurer of the J. O. Draper Company, Incorporated, is one of the city's most progressive and successful business men, and as a citizen enjoys the respect and esteem of the entire community. Mr. Stanley represents the ninth generation of his family in America, many of whom have been distinguished in the public affairs of New England from its earliest settlement. His mother was a lineal descendant of Governor William Bradford, of the Massachusetts Colony, and his maternal grandfather (Draper) was a captive in the prison ship 'Jersey', carrying to his grave the scars on his wrists caused by the chafing of the chains.
The Stanley family is one of long and honorable standing in the town of Attleboro, Mass., where it has been a numerous one, and many of its members have been prominent there and elsewhere. They descend from Matthew Stanley, whom Daggett places early at Martha's Vineyard. He was of Lynn, Mass., in 1646, where it is recorded of him in the Massachusetts Historical Collections: 'Matthew Stanley was fined five pounds, two shillings, six pence costs, for winning the affections of John Tarbox his daughter without the parents' consent. The latter were allowed six shillings for their attendance in court for three days.' Some of the descendants of this Matthew Stanley settled in Topsfield, Mass., and of this branch came the Attleboro family.
Samuel Stanley, son of Matthew Stanley, born in 1656, was of Topsfield. He married Jemima -----, and their children were: Samuel, Jacob, Abigail, Joseph, Sarah, Matthew, Mary, and John. The sons settled near the Falls in Attleboro, Mass., Samuel removing there as early as 1707. From these have descended a large number of families residing in Eastern Massachusetts, and in later generations in New Hampshire and Maine.
Samuel (2) Stanley, son of Samuel (1) Stanley, born October 24, 1678, married, May 2, 1706, Mary Kenney, and their children were: Abigail, David, Elizabeth, Hannah, Jacob, Jonathan, Matthew, Ruth and Samuel.
Solomon Stanley, the great-grandfather of Arthur W. Stanley, was a soldier of the Revolutionary War, his widow receiving the pension for his service.
John Stanley, son of Solomon Stanley, was born February 22, 1771, in Attleboro, Mass., and died there October 9, 1862. In early life he was engaged in the manufacture of cotton goods at Attleboro Falls, but through unfortunate circumstances met with financial reverses, and about 1820 went to the State of Maine, where he engaged in farming. Later, however, he returned to Attleboro, where the remainder of his life was spent. He possessed a good tenor voice and was very fond of music, and in March, 1859, at the advanced age of eight-eight years, he sang a solo, 'The Pilgrim's Farewell', playing his own accompaniment on his violin, at a concert given in the old town church at Attleboro; the church was crowded to its utmost capacity. On September 26, 1797, John Stanley was married to Juliet Marsh, born January 30, 1776, in Foxboro, Mass., who died in Attleboro Falls, February 23, 1863. To this union were born children, as follows: Jacob Perry, born May 10, 1798; Emily, Dec. 3, 1799; Nabby, Jan. 25, 1802; Seneca Marsh, Feb. 15, 1804; Albert Fisk, April 28, 1806; Selim Augustus, July 14, 1809; John Herbert, Dec. 10, 1811; Juliet, Feb. 5, 1815; George Washington, July 8, 1817; Osmyn Alcides, Feb. 18, 1822, and Delia Melvinia, Aug 5, 1824.
John Herbert Stanley, son of John Stanley, was born Dec. 10, 1811, in Attleboro, Mass., where his death occurred March 15, 1894. As a young man he made a whaling voyage of three years and two months' duration, visiting the Desolation and Friendly islands, and returning from the voyage as second mate of the ship. He was offered the position of first mate if he would agree to make another trip, but he declined the offer, and returning to his native town purchased, February 20, 1840, a farm upon which he built a house and was engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1849. In that year he went around the Horn in the ship 'Areatus' to California, where he spent three years in gold mining, after which he returned to his native town. Between the years 1849 and 1857 Mr. Stanley made three trips to California, and at the time of his death there were but four States in the Union that he had not visited. In 1857 Mr. Stanley, with his eldest son Linnaeus H., took up a quarter section of land in the State of Kansas, upon which they engaged in farming, but Mr. Stanley's health began to fail, and he again returned to Attleboro. In the spring of 1859 he went to Irvington-on-the-Hudson, where he leased for six years the farm known as 'The Old Brown Jug', then owned by J. L. Ellis, and which was purchased in 1863 by the late Charles L. Tiffany, of New York. At the expiration of his lease in 1865, Mr. Stanley returned to Attleboro, and there purchased the Samuel Cushman farm, where the remainder of his life was spent. Mr. Stanley was an able and practical man of business, and was very industrious. He possessed a genial nature, and was very fond of a joke. In political faith he was a Republian, but never cared for nor sought public office. He was a devout member of the First Congregational Church of South Attleboro, Mass., which he joined in 1857, and of which he was a class leader for many years.
On August 29, 1837, Mr. Stanley was united in marriage to Cornelia Draper, daughter of Ebenezer and Beulah (Bradford) Draper, of Attleboro, Mass., the ceremony taking place in the old Draper homestead, where the family have lived for over one hundred and fifty years, and at which on every Thanksgiving Day a dinner is given for members of the family, when as many as forty-five persons will be seated at the table. Mrs. Stanley passed away October 27, 1901, aged eighty-six years, the mother of the following children: Delia Maria, born in 1838, married F. H. Brown, of Maine, and they reside in Pawtucket; Linnaeus H., who died Aug. 3, 1899, in Providence, married Pauline Baguelin; Emeline, who married Edwin F. Kent, of Attleboro, Mass., and died in Providence, R. I.; and Arthur Willis, of further mention. In 1887 the parents celebrated their golden wedding anniversary at their home in Attleboro, and were the recipients of many presents and congratulations in honor of the event.
Arthur Willis Stanley, son of John Herbert Stanley, was born September 30, 1847, in Attleboro, Mass., and received his education in the public schools of his native town, and at Irvington-on-the-Hudson, N. Y., whither his parents removed in 1859. He attended the Stebbins Academy, at Irvington, which he left at the age of seventeen years, and the next year he spent on the farm with his father. In 1865 his parents removed to Attleboro, Mass., where he spent two years more at farming with his father. On February 14, 1867, he came to Pawtucket, where his uncle, James O. Draper, was a prominent business man. Here he entered the employ of Draper & Atwood, soap manufacturers, of which Mr. Draper became two years later the sole proprietor. Two years later, in 1871, Messrs. Draper and Stanley, the uncle and nephew, formed a partnership under the firm name of J. O. Draper & Company, and the business has been carried on up to the present time in the same location, Nos. 171-173 Front street, corner of Clay, where there are manufactured the celebrated 'olive oil' and 'English fig' soaps, used in washing wool, worsted and silk goods, palm oil and scouring soaps for factory uses, and toilet soaps in the finer grades. In March, 1905, the business was incorporated as the J. O. Draper Company, with these officers: Arthur W. Stanley, president and treasurer, and George B. Draper, secretary and general manager.
Since the death of his uncle, J. O. Draper, Mr. Stanley, who then became general manager, has devoted himself heart and soul to the upbuilding of the business, and has made a notable success as an executive and financial manager. The growth and development of the corporation have in a large measure been due to his broad vision and devotion. An appreciation of his faithful service and an indication of the esteem in which he was held was shown by the presentation to him by the stockholders, directors, and officials of a valuable and beautiful diamond scarf pin on the occasion of the fiftieth anniversary of his connection with the company. The end of this half-century of service finds him still energetic and able, bearing his seventy years with ease and serenity, and with a foward-facing enthusiasm and confidence which marks the buoyancy and youthfulness of his temperament. Mr. Stanley is vice-president of the Providence County Savings Bank of Pawtucket, and is also a director of the Pawtucket & Central Falls Associated Charities.
In his political views Mr. Stanley is a Republican, and he served Pawtucket as a member of the Council in 1882 and 1883. He is a member of the Congregational Society of Central Falls, and a member of the First Congregational Church of North Attleboro, Mass. He is a member of the Young Men's Christian Association, in which he has taken an active part, having been chairman of the site committee, and a director of the association for many years. He is a member of the Pawtucket Business Men's Association, and is a charter member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. He hs also served as a trustee and executor of several estates.
Mr. Stanley married, September 17, 1873, Eunice Shepard May, daughter of Henry F. and Elizabeth (Cushman) May, of Attleboro, Mass., where she was born September 29, 1849, a descendant of the May family, of old Colonial New England stock. They are the parents of the following children: 1. Henry Willis, born Sept. 18, 1875, in Pawtucket; attended the public schools of his native city, after which he was graduated with honors from Dean Academy, and spent one year at Brown University, and then studied in Paris and London, and is now a resident of London, where he is successfully engaged as a teacher of voice production; he married Ellen Kuhler, and they are the parents of four children. 2. Maybelle Cushman, living at home. 3. John Lawrence, deceased. 4. Joseph Allerton, deceased. 5. Elizabeth, the wife of Kenneth B. Hastings, of Newtonville, Mass., and they have one child. 6. Arthur Lincoln, an employee of the J. O. Draper Company; married Ruth E. Dodge, of Pawtucket, and they are the parents of one daughter. Mrs. Stanley and her daughters are members of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Miss Stanley being entitled to membership through seven different lines of ancestry.
Mr. Stanley has crossed the Atlantic ocean several times and traveled extensively in his own country. Genial and affable, he has hosts of friends in business, and in political and social circles, and he is numbered among the most representative men of Pawtucket.
GENERAL WILLIAM AMES -- This review deals principally with the careers of Samuel Ames, for nine years chief justice of the Supreme Court of Rhode Island , and with his son, William Ames, brevet-brigadier-general of volunteers, manufacturer, and citizen of eminence, both native sons of Providence and lifelong residents. The Ames family was originally of Bruton, in Somersetshire, England, the line being traced to John Ames (Amyas), who was buried in 1560. They family bore arms whihc indicate noble connection:
Arms - Argent on a bend sable three roses of the field.John Ames, of Bruton, married Margery Crome, and their eldest son, John, married Cyprian Brown. They were the parents of two sons, William and John, both of whom left their ancestral home, came to New England, and both founded families. Descendants of William Ames, born October 6, 1605, who came in 1638, and of John Ames, born December 10, 1610, who came in 1640, settling respectively in Braintree and Bridgewater, Mass., are to be found in all walks of life, and in almost every section of the Union, indeed the history of the Ames family forms a most interesting chapter in the industrial, commercial, professional and military annals of the United States.
Crest - A white rose.
Motto - Fama candida rosa dulcior.
Most prominent among the earlier descendants was Fisher Ames, the friend of Washington, orator, writer, statesman and member of Congress, a man held in such high esteem as patriot and orator that he was chosen by the State of Massachusetts to deliver a eulogy upon General Washington at the time of his death. Captain John Ames laid the foundation of the fortunes of his branch of the family by establishing, in Bridgewater, the shovel manufactory that made the name a familiar one all over the country. His son Oliver inherited the business and was, in time, succeeded by his sons, Oliver and Oakes, both of whom were intimately connected with the building of the Union Pacific Railroad. Another Oliver Ames became governor of Massachusetts, and the list might be extended indefinitely down to the present.
From this distinguished family sprang Judge Samuel Ames, father of General William Ames, and son of Samuel and Anne (Checkley) Ames, his mother a member of an ancient Puritan family of English ancestry, the name formerly Chichele. Judge Samuel Ames was born in Providence, R. I., September 6, 1806, and died in the city of his birth, December 20, 1865. He was educated in Providence schools, Phillips (Andover) Academy, and Brown University, a member of the latter institution's graduating class of 1823, he being then barely seventeen years of age, harking back to the performance of his distinguished ancestor, Fisher Ames, who was graduated with the same brilliancy at the age of sixteen. After graduation he began the study of law in the office of S. W. Bridgman, and for one year attended the lectures delivered by Judge Gould at the law school in Litchfield, Conn. In 1826 he was admitted to the Rhode Island bar, and began the practice of law in Providence. He soon became known as an able advocate, and his fluency and earnestness of style gained for him a wide reputation as a popular orator. He was a most effective political speaker, and in the exciting times of 1842 and 1843 his was a conspicuous and frequently heard voice. In 1842 he was appointed quartermaster-general of the State, served in the City Council, and for several years was a member of the General Assembly. He was staunch and firm on the side of law and order, and his influence was most marked and beneficial during the entire period of disturbance and upheaval in Rhode Island. In 1844 and 1845 he was elected speaker of the Assembly, and his law practice grew wide and far-reaching, extending into the federal courts, and winning for him both honors and emolument.
He was appointed by the Legislature in 1853 State Representative, to adjust the boundry between Rhode Island and Massachusetts, and in 1855 was one of the commissioners in charge of the work revising the statutes of Rhode Island, a work finished in 1857. He received the honorary degree of L. L. D. in 1855, and in May, 1856, was elected by the General Assembly to the office of chief justice of the Supreme Court, being appointed at the same time reporter of the court. His Reports, contained in the four volumes - IV, V, VI, VII - are 'remarkable for their clearness, their learning, and their conformity to the settled principles of jurisprudence', and remain a monument to the ability and industry of their author.
Judge Ames collaborated with Joseph K. Angell in an elaborate treatise, 'Angell and Ames on Corporations', which has passed through many editions, and is regarded as a standard authority on the law of corporations. In 1861 he was one of the delegates from Rhode Island to the Peace Convention held at Washington before the outbreak of the Civil War. The Rhode Island delegation was composed of Samuel Ames, William H. Hoppin, Samuel G. Arnold, George H. Browne, Alexander Duncan. It was, however, by his labors on the bench and his rare qualities as a lawyer and erudite judge that his name will be preserved to posterity. Judge Ames sat as chief justice, 1856-65, failing health compelling his resignation, November 15, 1865. But the edict had gone forth, and on December 20, following, he passed away in Providence, the city of his birth and center of his life's activities. He was a man no less distinguished for his social qualities than for the legal and political service and for his excellence as a man of learning and letters. He was a welcome contributor to the New England Historic-Genealogical Society of Boston, of which he was a keenly interested corresponding member, elected in 1845.
Judge Ames married, in 1839, Mary Throop Dorr, who survived him, a daughter of Sullivan Dorr, of Providence, and niece of Thomas Wilson Dorr, leader of the famous 'Dorr Rebellion' of 1842. It was during this 'rebellion' that Judge Ames distinguished himself by his patriotism and wisdom of conduct standing always on the side of the constitutions. Judge and Mrs. Ames were the parents of four sons and a daughter: 1. Sullivan Dorr, a lieutenant during the Civil War; was executive officer of the United State Ship 'Colorado', attached in 1865 to the Mediterranean squadron; Lieutenant Ames married Mary Townsend Bullock; he died Nov. 27, 1880. 2. William, of whom further. 3. Edward Carrington, a lawyer of Providence, died Jan. 31, 1886. 4. Mary B., married William Gordon Reed, of Cowesset. [sic] 5. Samuel (2), born April 10, 1849, died Oct. 25, 1900; naval officer and lawyer; he married Abby Greene Harris.
Were the fame of General William Ames required to rest solely upon the public service rendered as member of the State House Commission in planning, constructing, finishing and decorating the new capitol at Providence, it would be sufficient to insure him the undying regard of his fellow-citizens. His work did not end when the massive, appropriately designed, well and honestly erected buildings was completed and turned over to the State, but he continued on the commission and supervised a great deal of the of the arrangement of the art treasures the State possessed, which were safely installed or hung in the new building. About twenty-five years of his life were thus spent in the service of the State, years during which he received no remuneration of any kind, except the unstinted praise which was bestowed upon him by every one who was familiar with the unselfish and valuable service of those years. From outside the State there also came generous recognition, and many laudatory editorials were written concerning the signal service this public-spirited citizen had rendered his State.
But that was a single item in his record of public service. He was just crossing life's threshold when war broke out between the States, and from 1861 until 1865 he 'followed the flag', receiving his commission as second lieutenant at the age of nineteen years, and retiring four years later a brevet brigadier-general of volunteers.
His business career, in many respects, was a duplication of the successes of his military and civic life. But he went further, and displayed an administrative ability that was a new feature in his life and new to his family and friends. He was a capable, sane and yet very far-sighted manufacturer, presiding over the destinies of an old and well-established manufacturing plant, keeping it steadily in the van of progress, and developing its possibilities in a conservative manner in keeping with the times and conditions that were being passed through.
General Ames might have gone far in the political field had he so willed it, for his many friends were willing and anxious to shower political favors upon him, both elective and appointive. But he preferred the quiet life, and after terms in Council and Legislature he declined all nominations or appointments save the non-political, non-partisan one on the Capitol Commission.
William Ames, second son of Chief Justice Samuel Ames, L.L. D., was born in Providence, R. I., May 15, 1842, and there died March 9, 1914. He attended the city public and preparatory schools, entered Brown University in September, 1858, and continued until 1861, when he left the university to enlist in the war for the preservation of the Union. He was commissioned second lieutenant, June 6, 1861, and went to the front with the Second Regiment, Rhode Island Volunteers, the first Rhode Island Infantry regiment to volunteer for the duration of the war. He was in the first battle of Bull Run, and after that first meeting of the armed forces of the North and South he was made a first lieutenant, his commission dated October 25, 1861. During the spring and summer of 1862 Lieutenant Ames was engaged with his regiment in the peninsular campaign, and in the battles fought before Richmond by the Army of the Potomac under General McClellan. The Second Rhode Island was in the advance guard at times, Lieutenant Ames then being acting adjutant of the regiment. He saw hard service with the the Army of the Potomac, and was engaged in many of the hard-fought battles of the 'Seven Days'. On January 28, 1863, he was commissioned major and assigned to the Third Regiment, Rhode Island Heavy Artillery, then engaged in besieging Fort Sumter and the city of Charlestown, S. C. Later he was assigned to the command of Fort Pulaski, and on March 22, 1864, he was commissioned lieutenant-colonel of the regiment. On September 27, 1864, in recognition of his ability and service, he was appointed chief of artillery of the Department of the South, and on October 10, 1864, was commissioned colonel of the Third Regiment, Rhode Island Heavy Artillery. Later, while on detached service, he was commander of the artillery brigade at the battles of Honey Hill and Devereaux Neck. He continued chief of artillery, Department of the South, until his regiment was mustered out of the service, September 14, 1865, Colonel Ames having served throughout the entire war. In recognition of his continuous, efficient service, gallant and meritorious conduct, he was honored by his State and by the Nation with highest testimonials and the rank of brevet brigadier-general of volunteers.
Upon his return to civil life, General Ames entered the office employ of the Allen Print Works, continuing until September 14, 1869, when he was appointed by President Grant collector of internal revenue for the first Rhode Island district. He continued collector of the first district until October 21, 1873, when the districts were consolidated and General Ames made collector for the entire State. He held that position until June 12, 1875, then resigned to enter the manufacturing field as agent and manager of the Fletcher Manufacturing Company. He continued with that company until 1912, being vice-president and treasurer from 1904. In 1912 the Fletcher Manufacturing Company and other concerns making similar goods combined as the International Braid Company, of which General Ames became vice-president, an office he held until his death in 1914. He was also president of the Blackstone Canal National Bank, director of the Providence Washington Insurance Company, Manufacturers' Mutual Insurance Company of Rhode Island, and had other business interests.
General Ames was a Republican in politics, but never partisan, on the contrary broad-minded and liberal. He served Providence as a member of the Council and as Representative to the State Legislature. There he was appointed a member of the committee to choose a site for the new capital the State had decided to build. He was elected to the Legislature in 1898, but declined reelection in 1899. He was then at the height of his personal career, but for ten years he had been declining office after office, one of those being the postmastership of Providence, which was offered him more than once, and he was well aware that his appointment would please both the politicians and the people. In earlier years he was a frequent delegate to party conventions, and his wise counsel and advice were always sought and followed. But with the exccptions named he kept outside the political circle; however, he was always keenly alive to every duty and responsibility of citizenship.
General Ames was best known to the citizens of Rhode Island generally as a member of the State House Commission. His work on the site committee and on the commission, together with that of his follow-members attracted country-wide attention, and was often held up as an example other commissions might well emulate. For nearly twenty-five years he was connected with that work, which began by authority of a resolution passed by the General Assembly of Rhode Island, February 27, 1890, appointing a commission to secure plans for a new State capitol and to secure proposals for the site. As a member of the first commission, appointed by Governor Herbert W. Ladd, General Ames advised that the State should not be extravagant in erecting the new building; that it was imperative that the structure should be a substantial, fire-proof edifice, simple in design, of a size to give ample accommodation to all departments then existing, and to preclude the possible necessity of enlarging for many years to come. He also advised that the location should be a commanding one, convenient to the business section of Providence.
General Ames was made a member of the Second State House Commission which erected the State House, and took a conspicuous share of the work which finally resulted in the completion of the structure with its beautiful terraces, and highly ornamental grounds, June 11, 1904. He approached his duties as commissioner with the same sound business principles that characterized his own private business career, and his opinions had great weight with the board and were heartily endorsed by them. His sympathies were wide, and he served other good causes. He was a trustee and a member of the finance committee of the Rhode Island Hospital; was senior warden of St. Stephen's Episcopal Church for more than thirty-five years; member of Hope Club, Agawam Hunt Club, Squantum Association, and University Club.
General Ames married, November 8, 1870, Harriette Fletcher Ormsbee. They were the parents of a son, John Ormsbee, whose sketch follows, and a daughter, Harriette Fletcher, wife of Frank Mauran, of Philadelphia, Pa.
JOHN ORMSBEE AMES -- With the absorption of the Fletcher Manufacturing Company by the International Braid Company, in 1912, one of the oldest and most substantial manufacturing establishments in Rhode Island gave up its corporate existence. The business was established in 1793 by Thomas Fletcher, who gave it his name. The business of the plant, which was located in Providence, was the manufacture of braids and webbing in great variety, and numerous small articles used by merchants and manufacturers. In 1865 the business was incorporated, and for forty-seven years existed under the corporate name, the Fletcher Manufacturing Company.& The Ames interest in the company became a large one, and in 1901, William Ames was treasurer, and his son, John O. Ames, secretary. The Fletcher interest was also long continued, a descendant of Thomas Fletcher, William B. Fletcher, being president in 1901. The Ames interest reappears in the official roster of the International Braid Company, John O. Ames being the present vice-president of that company, and a member of the board of directors. Mr. Ames has acquired large business interests since that day in 1890 when he began his business career as a clerk in the office of the Fletcher Manufacturing Company, is a member of the firm, Goddard Brothers of Providence, and holds high official association with many corporations. He is a son of General William and Harriette Fletcher (Ormsbee) Ames, a record of whom precedes this in the work.
John Ormsbee Ames was born in Providence, R. I., January 9, 1872. He was educated in the University and Berkeley grammar schools, Providence, going thence to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston. He began business life at the age of eighteen, beginning with the Fletcher Manufacturing Company, manufacturers of braid, webbing, wicks, and corset lacings, a corporation of which his father was treasurer. In 1895 John O. Ames was elected secretary of the corporation, in 1902 agent, and in 1912 succeeded his father as treasurer. The same year the Fletcher Manufacturing Company was absorbed by the International Braid Company, and on March 26, of that year, Mr. Ames was elected treasurer of the International Braid Company, and in 1916 was elected vice-president, his present position. He is also a member of the firm, Goddard Brothers; agents for the Lonsdale Company, Rope Company and Blackstone Manufacturing Company; director of the Firemen's Insurance Company, International Braid Company, Morris Plan Company of Rhode Island, Providence Gas Company, Providence National Bank, Providence and Danielson Railway Company; president of the directors in the Rhode Island Company, Rhode Island Power Transmission Company; vice-president of the Sea View Railroad Company; trustee of the Providence Institution for Savings; secretary of the Lonsdale Company. Mr. Ames is a leading churchman, and a member of the general board of the Rhode Island Episcopal Convention. His fraternity is Delta Psi, his politics, Republican, his clubs the Hope of Providence, Merchant's, and the Tennis and Racquet of New York City.
Mr. Ames married, November 27, 1900, Madeleine Livermore Abbott, of Providence, the family residence being at No. 121 Power street, Providence.