Rhode Island Reading Room
These documents are made available free to the public by the Rhode Island USGenWeb Project

History of the state of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations: Biographical

NY: The American Historical Society, Inc. 1920



p. 331:

WILLIAM BOHUN McBEE, president of the Blackstone Mutual Fire Insurance Company, and Merchants' Mutual Fire Insurance Company, of Providence, is a native of Greenville, S. C., born June 3, 1862, and is a son of Alexander and Jane (Alexander) McBee.  Alexander McBee, in addition to being a planter, was engaged in a general line of business in Greenville, and during the Civil War served one year in the Confederate army.

The early education of William Bohun McBee was received in a private school, whence he passed to Greenville Military Institute, Greenville, S. C., and later to Furman University in the same place.  He then spent two years at the University of the South, Sewanee, Tenn. In 1882 Mr. McBee came to Rhode Island and entered upon his business career in association with Lockwood, Greene & Company, mill engineers, of Providence, and he was subsequently connected with the Lockwood Company, owners of cotton mills at Waterville, Maine.  In 1890 he became identified with the Blackstone Mutual Fire Insurance Company, beginning in a humble capacity, and by persistent effort and ability he has become one of the prominent insurance men in Rhode Island, and is now (1919) president and treasurer of the Blackstone Mutual Fire Insurance Company and of the Merchants' Mutual Fire Insurance Company, both of Providence.  He is also president of the Providence Building Company, and a director of the Merchants' National Bank of Providence.  In the assiduous and vigilant attention which he bestows upon the affairs of these organizations he finds exercise and scope for his business ability as a Mutual Fire Insurance underwriter. In politics he is an Independent, choosing the man in preference to the party.  Office-seeking and office-holding have never possessed any attraction for him.  He belongs to the Alpha Tan Omega fraternity and is enrolled in the Wannamoisett Country Club, the Rhode Island Turk's Head Club and the Providence Athenaeum, also the San Souci Club and the Poinsett Club, both of Greenville, S. C.  He and his family are members of the Protestant Episcopal church.  Although of a quiet and retiring disposition, Mr. McBee is an active supporter in all movements for the development and welfare of his city and State, and has justly earned that American title, 'a selfmade man'.

Mr. McBee married, September 15, 1886, at Riverside, R. I., Emily Edith, daughter of Thomas Charles and Emily Edith (Goodwin) Hudson, and they are the parents of the following children:  Alexander Charles, born May 30, 1889; Emily de Bohun, born May 21, 1891; William Rhodes Le Roy, born Nov. 26, 1892; Marguerite Edith, born April 25, 1898; and Floride D'Oyley, born Jan. 31, 1901.



p. 331 - 334:

RT. REV. WILLIAM NEILSON McVICKAR  --  That branch of the McVickar family of which the late William Neilson McVickar, Bishop of Rhode Island, was descended, was established in America in the latter part of the eighteenth century by John McVickar, a native of the north of Ireland.

McVickar Arms - (From Vermont's 'American Heraldry'):  Quarterly, 1 and 4; or an eagle displayed with two heads gules.  2 and 3: per bend embattled, argent and gules.  Over all an escutcheon or charged with three stags' horns, erect gules, two and one.

Crest - An eagle displayed with two heads, per pale embattled argent and gules.
Motto - Dominus providebit.  (The Lord will provide).
(I)  John McVickar, ancestor of the family, was a successful linen merchant and settled in New York City.  He later became prominent in many branches of activity in the city, and gained a reputation as a philanthropist.  He married, May 19, 1771 (?), Anna Moore, daughter of John Moore, of Newtown, Long Island.  Their children were: 1.  James.  2.  Archibald, married, Aug. 30, 1809, Catherine Livingston.  3.  Rev. Dr. and Prof. John McVickar, born in 1787, died Oct. 29, 1868; married, Nov. 12, 1809, Eliza Bard, daughter of Samuel Bard, M. D.  4.  Edward, died Dec. 6, 1866; married, Dec. 1, 1819, Frances Matilda Constable, daughter of William Constable.  5.  Benjamin McVickar, M. D., married Nov. 2, 1825, Isaphane Catherine Lawrence, daughter of Isaac Lawrence.  6.  Eliza, married, Feb. 26, 1810, William Constable. 7.  Hannah Augusta, died 1841; married Sept. 4, 1812, William Jay.

(II)  James McVickar, son of John and Anna (Moore) McVickar, was a successful and prominent New York merchant.  He married (first) June 15, 1806, Eweretta Constable.  He married (second) Catherine (Bucknor) McVickar, daughter of William G. Bucknor, and widow of Nathan McVickar.  Children by first wife:  John Augustus, mentioned below; and Mary Stuart, married, Nov. 4, 1843, William Whitney.

(III)  John Augustus McVickar, M. D., son of James and Eweretta (Constable) McVickar, was for a number of years  a successful and prominent physician and surgeon in New York City.  He married (first) February 20, 1837, Charlotte Neilson, daughter of William Neilson. She died December 1, 1871. He married (second) Eweretta McVickar, daughter of Edward McVickar, May 5, 1873.  His children by the first marriage were:  Susan, married, April 1, 1857, L. Philo Mills; Eweretta; William Neilson, mentioned below; James, married, April 30, 1873, Ada Jaffray, daughter of Edward S. Jaffray.

(IV)  William Neilson McVickar, D. D., son of Dr. John Augustus and Charlotte (Neilson) McVickar, was born October 19, 1843, in New York City. He received his education in private schools of the city, after which he entered Columbia University.  In 1865 he was graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Arts and with honors.  In the fall of the year 1865 he entered the Philadelphia Divinity School for the purpose of preparing himself for the Christian ministry.  He remained there a year and a half, at the end of which time he returned to New York City and completed his course in the General Theological Seminary.  In 1867 he was made a deacon, when be became an assistant to the Rev. Dr. Stephen H. Tyng, of St. George's Church, New York City.  In July, 1868, he was ordained priest of the Protestant Episcopal church, and received as his first charge the parish of Holy Trinity in Harlem, a young church, without a church building and having a congregation at times not exceeding ten or twelve people.  Services were held in a nearby hall, at the time that the parish came into the hands of Dr. McVickar.  He threw his whole soul into the work of upbuilding a strong church, increased his congregation with great rapidity, and built the large church and Sunday school building on the corner of Fifth avenue and 127th street.  This he accomplished in a period of seven years, during which time he had received calls from other churches for his services, among which was a call to St. Paul's Church in Boston in 1873.  In 1875, however, having set his first parish spiritually and temporarily on its feet, he accepted a call to Holy Trinity Parish in Philadelphia.  Bishop McVickar's connection with his parish extended over a period of twenty-two years.  During that time he became one of the prominent figures of his diocese, and was recognized as a leader of strength and vision.  For several years, beginning with 1883, he was a member of the General Convention.  In Philadelphia, during the years that followed, he was a member of the board of overseers of the Philadelphia Divinity School; a member of the board of managers of the Episcopal Hospital; and a member of the board of managers of the General Board of Missions.

Bishop McVickar's reputation for consummate ability in things ecclesiastical had spread beyond the confines of his parish in Philadelphia.  He became known as one of those few, or rather comparatively few, men in the ministry who were endowed with the God given quality of leadership. On October 27, 1897, at the Convention of the Diocese of Rhode Island, Bishop McVickar was chosen coadjutor bishop of Rhode Island.  The head of the diocese was Bishop Clark.  Bishop McVickar was consecrated in the Church of Holy Trinity at Philadelphia.  He came into full power as bishop automatically with the death of Bishop Clark, September 5, 1903.  His service as the Bishop of Rhode Island is remarkable for the progress and advance made throughout the State under his administration of the office.  Bishop McVickar was a scholar and student of no small repute, as will be seen from the honorary degrees bestowed upon him by colleges in different parts of the country.  In 1885 he received the degree of D. D. from Kenyon College, in Ohio.  In 1898 he received the same degree from the University of Pennsylvania, and the degree of S. T. D. from Columbia University.  Brown University conferred upon him the degree of L.L. D. in 1904.

There is no more adequate test of the character of a man than his standing in the estimation of his friends and intimates, the men who know the nature of his work, who work beside him, who strive to the same end, imbued with the same idea and ideals of service.  Nothing could give more clearly the life and character of the late Bishop McVickar than the excerpts appended hereto, resolutions passed after his death by various bodies, religious and secular, written by masterly preachers and literary men:

'The standing committee of the Diocese of Rhode Island is again mysteriously called upon, after a brief interval of less than seven years, to make in the recess of the convention, official announcement of the death of its Bishop, and to bear witness to the profound grief of the Diocese in the loss of its beloved head.

The Right Reverend William Neilson McVickar, D. D., L.L. D., consecrated January 27, 1898, as Bishop Coadjutor, since September 7, 1903, third Bishop of Rhode Island, rested from his labors at Beverly, Massachusetts, on June 28, 1910.  This life thus closed on earth has been one of manifest grace and power.  Called from a wide and conspicuous field of parochial experience to the exalted station of the Episcopate, Dr. McVickar was amply and eminently prepared to maintain the work and traditions of one of the oldest dioceses of the American Church.  He proved an efficient and congenial helpmate to the venerable Bishop Clark through the closing years of the life of that great prelate, whose mantle fell upon his coadjutor as upon a worthy successor.

The fame of Rhode Island, under the brilliant chieftainship of Bishop Clark, had became fair and far-reaching, and it suffered no eclipse nor wane under Bishop McVickar, who entered at once into the spirit and interests of the Commonwealth and of the Diocese.  He won rapidly popular respect and affection on every side, until he passed from us it is not too much to say that he was our first citizen.

In the councils of the Church both in the United States, and in England, he was eloquent and forceful.  In the great causes of evangelization, philanthropy and social reform he was a recognized leader, whose advice and advocacy were eagerly sought. In the Board of Missions, and as a trustee of the Hampton Institute, he occuped positions of national importance.

Our Bishop's life has been all too brief for our hopes and expectations. His sun seems to have gone down while it was yet day, but little past meridian. We confidently looked for him to guide and tend his flock for many years to come in those pleasant days of truth and peace which have marked his gentle way.  Yet the Episcopate which now appears to have ended so abruptly has already had its harvests and will yet yield others as the fruit of its patient sowing.  The people of Rhode Island, of all sorts and conditions, of all creeds and of none, have had a vision of the Good Shepherd reflected in Bishop McVickar and the effect of that vision will be realized for many years to come; the institutions of the Diocese have been fostered by his loving care, and he leaves them in growing strength and vigor, while above all, the cathedral idea and organization, the initiative of which was his, will in the turn be an enduring monument to William Neilson McVickar, who will stand out in our diocesan history as its founder.

Noble, however, will be that monument of loving kindness, which his life and character have reared in human hearts, an ever-living memory of one who loved the souls of men.  Priest!  Pastor!  Bishop! Father in God!  Friend tender and true!  Farewell until we greet thee with the 'Good morrow of eternity!'  Meanwhile God grant thee His eternal rest and cause to shine upon thee His perpetual light!'

The Rhode Island clergy adopted the following minute:

'The clergy of the diocese of Rhode Island, profoundly moved by the death of their late Bishop, William Neilson McVickar, desire to express their sense of loss and make some record of what he has been to them.

Twelve years ago, known to but few of us, well known perhaps to none of us, he came among us as a needed coadjutor to an honored predecessor whose years had become to him a burden.  How faithfully and tenderly he served him many of us can bear witness.  Assuming nothing to himself, deferring all things to his elder, putting sturdy shoulders beneath whatever load had become irksome, bringing cheer and comfort with look and word, he discharged each task that devolved upon him.  As a son ministering to a loved and reverend father, he toiled gladly.

Then in due season his place was changed.  He was alone in his office.  Very quickly he magnified that office, not in its dignities, but in its duties. He grew in the discharge of it.  He assumed new responsibilities.  Wherever there was sickness or sorrow brought to his notice his notice his gentle presence was felt consoling it. As fresh social opportunities opended before him, he made his own precedents for dealing with them.  He did not claim a wider jurisdiction: it was accorded to him because he revealed himself as a man of God and a brother of men.  With holy and humble heart, and with resolute, because consecrated, purpose, he went forward and his people followed him.

He helped each one of us as far as we sought or would accept his service. He became a minister at large, a pastor among pastors, within and without his own communion.  He brought with him, everywhere a willingness to serve, a sound judgment, patience to wait, a spirit of peace and good will.  His large heart went forth on loving errands to his clergy, his laity, his fellow citizens.  Wisely and thoughtfully  he concerned himself with public interests, seeking always that they should be founded on righteousness.  He was at home everywhere, for he was always in his Father's house and concerned with his Father's business.

In the pulpit or on the platform, his word was with power.  The common people heard him gladly.  They felt his transparent honesty, were stirred by his generous zeal.  He spoke on the common level, as one who stood beside them, however, he might tower above them. His life was his best message. Being dead he yet speaketh.  The tones of that marvelous voice, vibrant with sympathy, are silent, but we hear and would hear them still.

Organizations representing almost every phase of endeavor, men of all the professions, in fact almost every walk of life, added their tributes to the memory of Bishop McVickar.  The public press in it columns gave space to the man whom it recognized not only as a religious leader, but as a prominent public man.  The following is an extract from the 'Newport News':

'He was a man of magnificent physique.  He was six feet five inches tall and built on extraordinarily large proportions.  His build made him a commanding figure in any gathering where he happened to be.

It is related of him, while still a young man, together with Phillips Brooks and Mr. Richardson, of Boston, both of whom were also of mammoth build, he was attending a convention at London.  A speaker, in discussing the American people, described them as a decadent race and declared emphatically that their stature was growing less.  When the orator had finished, the three massive young Americans rose, side by side, squared their shoulders and announced: 'We are Americans!'  Bishop McVickar always smiled when this story was related and would not vouch for its authenticity.

He possessed a voice of great richness and sweetness.  As a pulpit speaker he was noted particularly for his qualities of earnestness and sincerity. His friends were particularly charmed with the simplicity of character and attractive personality.  The Bishop was described as a conservative broad churchman.  He was especially noted for his belief in the necessity of an earnest spiritual life.'

The combination of Bishop McVickar's personality, sincerity and ability was so great that it broke the strong barriers that difference in religious faith erects.  The Rev. Dr. Frank, pastor of the First Baptist Church of Pawtucket, R. I., said:

'Just now our State is lamenting the untimely death of one of the noblemen in the ranks of churchmen.  Bishop McVickar still leads, though the giant form strides the earth no more.  That hand will still guide and that voice continue to give counsel through many coming years. Four days after the death of Lincoln,Chaplain McCabe wrote in his journal: 'Our Atlas has gone to the shade of Erebus.  Who will now uphold the falling skies?'  In like manner our churchman of every name will lament the loss of this leader whose strength was as the strength of ten because his heart was pure.  Religion has been generous in its gift of great and good men for the highest leadership of mankind.  It will continue to do the same in the future.'

The Right Rev. Monsigneur Thomas F. Doran, Vicar-General, also expressed himself in warm admiration of Bishop McVickar, as well as did countless other clergymen.  The words of the Rev. Mr. Goodwin, of the Pawtucket Congregational Church, are as follows:

'It is true of this great Christian, as was said at the death of Mark Hopkins, 'A Great life has gone down, but it has not gone out.'  Bishop McVickar was a man of simple and childlike spirit, with the beautiful freshness of youth unsullied by years of wide experience in the world.  He was kind, tender-hearted and generous, always a friend of the weak and a manly co-laborer with the strong.  An aristocrat in culture and refinement, his sympathies yet wide and democratic, the interests of all sorts of men being ever of great concern to him.

He was ever a great human, truly illustrating the words of the Hebrew prophet, 'In whom God spoke, I will make a man more rare than fine gold.' He was a great churchman, dignifying the high office with which his own church had honored him, and throwing the ample mantle of catholicity of heart over all those who under whatsoever name are striving to do God's will on earth.  To-day even the churches which were founded on the idea of a church without a Bishop, and a State without a King, feel that from them also has been taken a leader of commanding strength and a fearless champion of truth and righteousness.

It was eminently fitting that the services held at his funeral should end with the words of Christian confidence illustrative of his life of joy, helpfulness and conquering hope:

        'The strife is o'er, the battle is done,
        The victory of life is won,
        The song of triumph has begun.'

These are but a few of the tributes to the life, character, work and personality of Bishop McVickar, and have been culled from amongst hundreds of others.



p. 334 - 335:

HENRY DUNNELL  --  Among the successful men of Providence, where he conducts a large business in investment securities, Henry Dunnell occupies a prominent place.  Mr. Dunnell is a native of Pawtucket and a member of an ancient Rhode Island family which was founded here in early Colonial times and has ever since maintained a high place in the esteem of their fellow citizens.  During the many years of its residence at Providence, the family has allied itself with many of the most prominent houses in the State, while its members have occupied places of distinction in many callings.  The ancestor from whom the Dunnells trace their descent was Michael Dunnell, Sr., who in 1668 married Mary Read and by her had nine children, as follows: Mary, Michael, Thomas, who is mentioned below; John, Elizabeth, Magdalen, Joseph, Susannah, and Johanna. Michael Dunnell, Sr., died about 1713, after a long and active life.

(II)  Thomas Dunnell, son of Michael, Sr., and Mary (Read) Dunnell, was born November 20, 1672, and passed a part of his life at Lynn, where he married Dinah Brinsdell, May 23, 1791.  They were the parents of nine children, as follows:  Jonathan, Mary, Ruth, David, who is mentioned below; Thomas, Susannah, Abigail, Jacob and Amos.

(III)  David Dunnell, son of Thomas and Dinah (Brinsdell) Dunnell, was born in the year 1709, and on November 9, 1732, married Kesiah Ramsdill of Lynn, at which place they resided.  They were the parents of eight children, as follows:  Ruth, Mary, Solomon, Reuben, Sarah, Jacob, who is mentioned below; David and Jonathan.

(IV)  Jacob Dunnell, son of David and Kesiah (Ramsdill) Dunnell, was born December 5, 1743, at Lynn.  He later removed to Boston where he continued to reside until his death.  He married (first) December 12, 1771, Rebecca Florence, and (second) October 5, 1781, Margaret Pillsbury.

(V) Jacob (2) Dunnell, son of Jacob (1) and Margaret (Pillsbury) Dunnell, was born in the year 1784, at Boston, and two years later was was placed under the guardianship of Benjamin Sumner, in whose household he grew up. As a youth he secured work with a New York concern and went to that city to take up his duties.  In 1801 he was employed by the firm of H. Crawford & Company, who were engaged in the foreign trade, and was sent by them to Madeira, where he remained about seven years.  In 1807 he returned to the United States and settled at Providence, where his death occurred May 10, 1837, at the age of fifty-three years. He married, July 17, 1808, Mary Lyman, a daughter of Judge Daniel and Polly (Wanton) Lyman, and a descendant of Richard Lyman, who came to New England in 1631, from High Ongar, in the County of Essex, England, and settled at Hartford, Conn.  Mrs. Dunnell survived her husband for many years, her death occurring March 4, 1876, at the age of eighty-seven. They were the parents of the following children: Mary Lyman; Jacob, of further mention; Margaret, who became the wife of Samuel Wardwell Peckham, of Providence; Thomas Lyman; Elizabeth Lyman and John Wanton.

(VI)  Jacob (3) Dunnell, son of Jacob (2) and Mary (Lyman) Dunnell, was born December 29, 1811, at North Providence (now a part of the city of Providence) and passed his childhood there.  He received an excellent commercial education, being trained as a bookkeeper in North Providence. About 1836, when twenty-five years of age, he went to Pawtucket and there took a position as bookkeeper and assistant in the establishment, then a small one, which has since become known as Dunnell's Print Works, and grown to very large proportions.  It was then owned by Royal Sibley and Crawford Allen, the former being in active management of it, and was engaged in printing calico.  The craft was then in its infancy, the machinery in use being capable of printing only one color, and this concern was one of the first to become identified with it, and developed simultaneously with its new development.  Mr. Dunnell was entirely unacquainted with the business at the time, but rapidly made himself familiar with it in every detail, and, when a few years later, the then owners went out of business, he was capable of taking it over and managing it efficiently. The business, which was for a time carried on under the name of Jacob Dunnell & Company, was eminently successful, and eventually the Dunnell Manufacturing company was organized and continued to operate under that style until 1899. For a number of years Mr. Dunnell held the double office of president and general manager of the company, but later he resigned the former post in favor of his younger brother, Thomas Lyman Dunnell, although he yet retained the latter and was its active head.  From the small beginning above noted, the Dunnell Print Works, under the highly capable management of Mr. Dunnell, grew to the great proportions it had assumed at the time of his death.  He grew up with the business, rising from a humble capacity until he had reached the very head, and there was no man in the country his superior as a calico printer in every aspect of the trade.  He gave the works and the workmen his personal supervision, kept pace with all the improvements in the machinery, and in addition was gifted with extraordinary business ability and skill in the management of general affairs. Mr. Dunnell was also a man of large perceptions, high ideals and honor. At one time misfortune overtook him in his business through the misconduct of a former treasurer, and this was the occasion for these virtues to manifest themselves in the most striking and convincing manner.  Although at the time he had been released from all legal responsibility for the complete obligations of the concern, he determined to pay them in full, and no creditor lost a single dollar through him.  He never held any public office, but always was keenly interested in the welfare of the community and was active in securing the choice of the best men available for all such posts. His personality was an unusually attractive one and all who came in contact with him were inspired with sentiments of admiration and affection. He was also exceedingly charitable, though he carried out his benefactions in so unostentatious a manner that often the recipients themselves were unaware of the source of their assistance.  At the outbreak of the Civil War, a number of his employees, among whom was Captain Levi Tower, wished to respond to the call of the government.  He told them to go and that when they came back their places would be ready for them. This promise he fulfilled and not only this, but during their absence continued the payment of their wages to their families so that they should want for nothing.

Jacob (3) Dunnell married (first) December 29, 1834, Amey Dexter Brown, born February 22, 1814, a daughter of Isaac and Lydia (Williams) Brown, and a descendant of Chad Brown, who came from England to the colonies in the ship 'Martin', which arrived at Boston in July, 1638, and who shortly after removed to Providence.  Jacob (3) and Amey D. (Brown) Dunnell were the parents of the following children:  Mary Lyman, born Oct. 29, 1835, died Feb. 3, 1841;  Sophia Brown, born June 14, 1837, and became the wife of John T. Denny, of New York City;  Jacob (4), of further mention;  Edward Wanton, born May 8, 1841, and died in the same year;  Amey, born June 17, 1844, and died in the same year; Adelia, born July 5, 1845, and died Nov. 28, 1853; Alice Maude Mary, born Sept. 15, 1846, and became the wife of Amasa Mason Eaton, of Providence; Margaret, born May 3, 1848, died Aug. 28, 1849;  and William, born Sept. 13, 1850.  On September 11, 1873, Mr. Dunnell married (second) Mary Attmore Robinson.  To this union no children were born.

(VII)  Jacob (4) Dunnell, son of Jacob (3) and Amey D. (Brown) Dunnell, was born February 6, 1839, and died April 8, 1874.  As a young man he engaged in the cotton goods commission business in Providence under his own name and met with a very substantial success.  This early death, when but thirty-five years of age, cut short what promised to be a brilliant business career, and his young brother became his successor in the ownership and management of his enterprise.  He married, September 25, 1861, Jeannie Tucker Blodget, a daughter of Samuel Chase and Jane (Bull) Blodget, who survives him, and they became the parents of the following children:  Jacob, who died in infancy; Jacob Wanton; Amey Dexter; Henry, which whom we are here especially concerned; Jane Power.

(VIII)  Henry Dunnell, fourth child and third son of Jabob (4) and Jeannie Tucker (Blodget) Dunnell, was born June 23, 1869, at Pawtucket. He was sent by his parents while a child to Miss Pratt's Private School, where he showed himself a painstaking and intelligent student in spite of his youth.  For five years he attended public schools in Germany, while residing there with his mother.  He returned to the United States in 1881, and later attended the Providence High School for one year and then studied for three years at 'Black Hall', a private school, where he completed his preparation for college.  He matriculated at Yale University in 1887 and there took the ususal academic course, graduating with the class of 1891, and taking the degree of A. B.  Upon completing his studies at Yale, Mr. Dunnell entered the establishment founded by his grandfather and continued associated with it for about nine years.  There he received his business training and proved an apt pupil, making himself valuable to the management of the concern.  In 1900 he realized his ambition to become independent and established himself in the brokerage and investment security business, now located at No. 12 Westminster street, Providence. Since that time he has continued uninterruptedly in this line and now conducts one of the best known concerns of its kind in the New England states. Mr. Dunnell is a man of strong and definite opinions on public matters, and is an independent Republican in politics, but he has not taken an active part in local affairs, confining himself to the direction of his investment busines.  He is a prominent figure in social and club circles here, and is a member of numerous organizations in Providence, including the Hope, Yale, Agawam Hunt and Noon Day clubs.  In religious belief he is an Episcopalian.

Henry Dunnell was united in marriage, March 27, 1905, with Sarah Burges, a daughter of Richard and Emma (Rhodes) Burges, old and highly respected residents of Providence.  One child has been born of this union, Henry Dunnell, Jr., born March 17, 1913.



p. 335 - 336:

Rev. John F. TullyREV. JOHN FRANCIS TULLY  --  Now permanent rector of the Church of the Immaculate Conception, Providence, R. I., Father Tully reviews an active ministerial life, which began with his ordination to the priesthood of the Roman Catholic church, at Grand Seminary, Montreal, Canada, December 27, 1886.  He is a native son of Providence, his parents, James and Margaret (Burns) Tully, of County Cavan, Ireland, and Providence, R.I.

James Tully was born in County Cavan, came to the United States a young man, and died in the city of Providence in 1892, aged seventy-five. He was an undertaker in Providence and continued in active business until his retirement a short time previous to his death.  His wife, Margaret (Burns) Tully, was born in County Armagh, Ireland, and died in Providence, R. I., October 17, 1916, aged ninety.  James and Margaret Tully were the parents of sons:  Thomas, now living retired in Providence; Mathew, died Feb. 28, 1910; John Francis, of further mention;  James, died young;  and a daughter Mary, who also died in childhood.

John Francis Tully was born in Providence, R. I., September 25, 1856. He obtained his early educational training in the city grammar school. After completing the courses of LaSalle Academy, Providence, he entered Manhattan College, New York City, and there received his degree A. B., and A. M., in 1883.  He pursued studies in theology at Grand Seminary, Montreal, from 1883 until 1886, when he was ordained a priest and assigned to St. Mary's Church, Newport, R. I., as assistant to the pastor.  He remained at St. Mary's for twelve years, until 1899, then was installed pastor of St. Patrick's Church at Harrisville, R. I., serving that parish until November, 1902, going thence to St. Ann's Church at Cranston, R. I.  There he began a new and beautiful church during his eighteen months' pastorate, laying the cornerstone in 1907, subsequent pastors carrying on the work of the building, which is not yet completed.  St. Ann's was an Italian parish, then consisting of three thousand five hundred souls, Father Tully's pastorate there being an exceedingly hard period of his life and also one of the most successful in temporal and spiritual results.  From St. Ann's he came to the Church of the Immaculate Conception in Providence, and in 1918 was installed its permanent rector.  The history of that church carries back to the year 1857, when the first church ediface was begun, and dedicated by Bishop McFarland, July 4, 1858.  He was succeeded by Rev. John Keegan, who died in 1883; Rev. John McGuire, who died in 1884; following him, Rev. Michael Fitzgerald, who served the parish until his death in October 1902; Rev. Michael O'Hara was rector from 1902 until his death in February, 1918; Father Tully succeeding him as permanent rector, assisted by Rev. David L. Dunn and Rev. Thomas A. Robinson.  The parish sustains a school of six hundred pupils, a convent of sisters of Mercy, and all departments of church work are well organized and efficient.


Continued


These documents are made available free to the public for non-commercial purposes by the Rhode Island USGenWeb Project. Transcription and pictures 2001-2 by Beth Hurd


Mail e-mail