Butler and Colleton
1 Black &
| Persons who pass the Berkeley Country
Club admire the beautiful Live Oaks along the entrance road and often
fail to realize that the county lost one of its historically important
houses when Exeter was burned.
| In the Stoney notes to A Day
On The Cooper River we are told that the late Mr. D. E. Huger Smith had
access to extracts of old records showing that Hugh Butler leased this
land from Sir John Colleton in 1726 and mortgaged it with the house he
had built thereon in 1738 to John Colleton: This Hugh Butler married Anna
Colleton, a daughter of Major Charles Colleton of Fairsight Plantation
and the owner of large tracts of land on the Santee, Cooper, and
| Some persons have claimed that the
Exeter house was built as early as 1700, but Samuel Gaillard Stoney, in
his Plantations of The Carolina Lowcountry, gave the house the probable
date of 1726 during the ownership of Hugh Butler.
| Butler was one of the Justices
of the Peace for Berkeley County for 1737 as published in the South Carolina
Gazette of April 2, 1737. He was a witness to the will of the Hon.
Thomas Broughton of nearby Mulberry, and on June 19, 1719, Butler was one
of the twelve persons appointed by the Palatine to serve on the last Grand
Council under the Proprietors whose government of the Province was overthrown
by the people in December of that year.
| From records that are available
today we know that the tract was called Exeter Plantation when left to
son, John (under 21), in the 1749 will of John Colleton (dated 26 Sept.
1749) and when it was sold to Mrs. Mary Broughton on September 15, 1767.
When Irvin wrote his Day On The Cooper River he listed T. 0. Dawson at
Exeter and stated that the tract included the pine land exchanged by the
Broughtons for the Colleton land on which Mulberry Castle had been built
by Broughton. The house was owned by Colonel Isaac Motte who married a
Broughton. In 1902 Mr. J. S. Jones, Sr. of Moneks Corner bought Exeter
from the Motte estate and made it home. It was later the home of Mr. J.
W. Jones and then was subsequently owned by Mr. and Mrs. Charles A. Jones
who annually hosted a supper for the Pinopolis and Friendship Methodist
Church Board Members along with the Methodist District Officers. After
the ownership of the Jones family it became the site of the Berkeley Country
| The house is described as having been
originally built in the shape of an H with a large central hall and steps
entering this hall from the front and rear between the wings. About the
middle of the eighteenth century when new architectural styles were the
fashion, the front portion of each of the two wings was enclosed to form
a stairhall. The original brick work was laid in Flemish bond with glazed
headers. This fine brick work was set off by white stucco at the base of
the building and on the corner pilasters. Fire destro,yed this historical
and architectural treasure in December, 1967.
| An old family cemetery occupies
a prominent spot in the fine golf course that occupies the fields and former
wooded areas around the avenue and the old house spot. Much of the surrounding
property has become a rapidly developing sub-division as people from the
urban areas seek the beauty of rural Berkeley County.
Information and Article from
"Historic Ramblin's Through
written by and used with permission
Mr. J. Russell Cross