Next is Lifeland, the residence of Peter Sinkler. This place was purchased by his mother from Mrs. Jamison, who married Gen. Sumter. Peter Sinkler had a brother, and a sister, Dolly, who married General Richardson of Clarendon. Mr. Sinkler's first wife was Elizabeth Mouzon, sister of Henry Mouzon, the surveyor and engineer their children were Jane, who married Joseph Glover, of Colleton; Peter, who married Mary, daughter of Richard Walter ; James, who never married; and Elizabeth, wife of Samuel Dubose of Murrell's. His second wife was Miss Boisseau who died childless. His third wife was Catharine, daughter of Joseph Palmer of Webdo. She had a daughter, Catharine, who married Francis Peyre.  His fourth wife was the widow, of Rene Peyre; her daughter by her first husband, Florida Peyre, married John P. Richardson. 
     Few patriots of the revolution suffered more than Peter Sinkler, and as woe even if long continued is soon told, we shall dwell briefly, upon his sufferings. His age, position, and strongly marked character gave him considerable influence with his fellow citizens; and the British, who were aware of it, determined to get him in their power. After many ineffectual attempts to take him, they succeeded by bribing his brother-in-law James Boisseau, an ingrate who betrayed the man that gave him a home. Like most of the Whigs, Mr. Sinkler was accustomed occasionally to enjoy in the bosom of his family I a respite from the fatigues and privations of Marion's camp. Aware of the danger to which he was exposed, but totally unsuspicious of the person who was to betray him, he had a hiding place in the swamp .that lay not fifty yards north of his house, where he could be secure from everything but treachery. When he was known to be at Lifeland, Boisseau covertly introduced a party to his lurking place, and at the same time a part of the British approached the house by the avenue. As soon as this party was seen, Mr. Sinkler retired to his place of concealment and there found himself a captive. He was not allowed to take leave of his wife and daughters, but was carried to Charleston, a prisoner, without even a change of clothes, and thrust in the southeast cellar of the provost, now the post-office, where were others as unfortunate as himself, without bedding or even straw to lie upon. Typhus fever soon put an end to his sufferings. 
     He was detained at Lifeland long enough to witness the brutality of his captors and the savage recklessness with which they wantonly destroyed his property. The beds were taken from the house ripped open, and their contents scattered to the winds; his provision houses were opened and sacked, his poultry and stock shot down, and several crops of indigo destroyed or carried off. After his death a commission was appointed by the State to ascertain the amount and value of property so destroyed, and the following schedule was furnished by Capt. John Palmer: fifty-five negroes; twenty thousand pounds of indigo; sixteen blooded horses; twenty-eight blooded mares and fillies; one hundred and thirty head of stock cattle; one hundred and fifty-four head of sheep; two hundred hogs; three thousand bushels of grain; twenty thousand rails; household furniture, liquors, plantation tools, poultry, etc., to the value of L2,500 currency. The reward of Boisseau's treachery was a commission in the British army and a civil station in Nova Scotia, which he enjoyed during his life.
Reminiscences of St. Stephen's Parish
Samuel DuBose
Copyright © 1972
Dorothy MacDowell Kelly