St. Stephen’s Episcopal
Church Cemetery


USGENWEB ARCHIVES NOTICE: These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for Profit or presentation by any other organization or person. Persons or organizations desiring to use this Material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the listed USGenWeb archivist with proof of this consent. The submitter has given permission to the USGenWeb Archives to store the file permanently for free access.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Junction SC Highways 52 & 45, St. Stephens, SC St. Stephen's Episcopal Church was constructed between 1767 and 1769. Built with money from the prosperous indigo market, it replaced the small, wooden "frontier" chapel on the same site. the most interesting aspects of its construction is its masonry inscribed on the east wall above the chancel window by William Axson, a member of the Wambaw Lodge of Freemasons. Supervisors A. Howard and Francis Villepontoux also left their signatures. After years of decline, several renovation efforts were mounted and today this National Historic Landmark is the site of weekly services.



A to Z


(Cemetery List and Photos compliments of George Ballentine)
Note: The images on this site remain the property of the owners. Individuals may use these images in their research efforts as needed. However, any commercial use is strictly forbidden. They may not be included in any collection, nor offered for sale in any format. This does not preclude the reasonable inclusion of images in family histories, family newsletters, etc.


Iron Fence Area

Old Brick Foundation

Gourdon Plot

Gourdon Plot

Gourdon Plot

Gourdon Plot

Gourdon Plot

Gourdon Plot




Copyright © 2006 Wendy