The Huguenot Settlements
Information and Article from
"Historic Ramblin's Through Berkeley"
written by and used with permission of
Mr. J. Russell Cross
There is nothing to tell us which Huguenot settlement
or church in present day Berkeley County was the oldest, but it appears
to be generally conceded that Orange Quarter, Santee, and Goose Creek were
settled by French before St. John's, Berkeley.
There is no record that I have found of warrant
or grant to Pierre Foure, but he appears to have been in possession of
Pompion Hill plantation at some time before 1687, for he had transferred
the property to Pierre de St. Julien who was then living there when Mr.
Troullard married Rene Ravenel and St. Julien's daughter. Both of the witnesses,
Nicholas de Longuemare and Josias DuPre, are on the list of persons naturalized
by the Act of Assembly of 1696/7.
or St. Julien List
is considered to date from about 1696 and was
among the papers of Henry de St. Julien, the youngest son of Pierre de
St. Julien, immigrant. Henry died in 1768/9. This List has been published
several times since coming into the possession of Mr. Daniel Ravenel of
Wantoot Plantation. It was first published in 1882 and is available in
Transactions No. 5 and No. 68 of The Huguenot Society of South Caroiina.
Judge H. A. M. Smith tells us that only 36 of these names appear in the
56 French names in the list of 63 aliens named in the Act of Assembly of
March 16, 1696/7, "An Act for making Aliens free of the Part of the Province
and for Granting Liberty of Conscience to all Protestants." The Abstracts
of Records of Secretary of The Province, 1692-1721 by Moore show
several other recorded naturalizations of individuals and small groups.
I assume other French names never got on any list.
These lists along with land warrants and grants,
wills and land transactions give us most of the information available about
the community and individual settlers. As people appear to have been told
by some government official where the immigrant might settle before any
warrants were issued, and as grants were often not made until years had
passed, we are left without a definite date of arrival. But . . .
John (Jean ) Aunant had a warrant in 1696/?
and a grant in 1700 for 300 acres, is in the Act of 1696/7 and in the Ravenel
list for Orange Quarter.
James Belin had a grant for 210 acres in 1704
and Alard Belain is on the Ravenel list.
The will of Nicholas Bochet, proved
in 1733, mentions land purchased of James Bilbeau and John Pineaux and
John June (Juin). Capt. Anthony Bonneau. was named to serve with widow
as executor. The will also adds the names of his brothers, Peter and Henry,
and Isaac Guerin and Peter Drouillard. The will of James Bilbeau, proved
in 1736, mentions his wife's Normand children and Francis Deschamps and
was witnessed by John James Tissot, Guillaume Gallatin and Anthony Bonneau.
The will of Anthony Bonneau, Sr. (son of the immigrant) dated 1742, mentions
land bought of Mr. Paul Torquet. The Bonneau will is winessed by Isaac
Guerin, Louis Mouson, Jr., Henry Mouson, and Anthony Bonneau, who was probably
the son of Jacob Bonneau and nephew of the maker of the will. Anthony Bonneau
had a warrant in 1708 and grant in l709 for 500 acres. He is in the Act
of 1696/7 and the Ravenel List. Bonneau descendants are many, but the surname
has disappeared from this section.
James de Bordeaux had warrant and grant in
1697 for 400 acres, is not listed in the 1696/7 Act but is in the Ravenel
List as Jacques De Bourdeau as desiring naturalization. In a land transaction,
he is called "blacksmith," and was dead by 20 Dec. 1699.
Solomon Bremar (Bremere) had a warrant and
grant for 365 acres in 1705. He is in the Act of 1696/7 and in the Ravenel
List of Orange Quarter. He had a daughter Vlary who married James Saveneau.
In a deed of gift on 22 May 1721, he names a son and daughter Jacque Bremar
and Marte Bremar.
John Carteau had a warrant in 1701/2 and grant in
1704 for 200 acres. The will of Philip Combe, proved 1736/7 was witnessed
by John James Tissot. Guillaume Gallatin and Anthony Bonneau.
In 1758, Francis Dallas, of the Bonneau-Videau-DuBois
connection, made a will which exhibits the continuing loyalty to the French
Church by leaving 50 pounds to the Rev. Mr. John James Tissotte (Tissot)
and 50 pounds to the poor of the French Church of St. Denis' Parish. The
will of Susanna DuBois, dated 1757, shows the relation to the Quash, Bochet
and Bonneau families and names Mary Malliette. In the same year the will
of Isaac Guerrin (Guerin) names his family and gives the name of
Peter (Pierre) duTarte (Dutarte) had a warrant
and grant in 1696, was in the 1696/7 Act and the Ravenel List of members
of Orange Quarter. Louis du Tarque (Dutarque) had a warrant in 1708 and
a grant in 1709 for 600 acres. He is listed in the Act of 1696/7 and the
Daniel Gobel had a grant for 260 acres in
1707. George Juin had a warrant for 100 acres in 1697 and a grant in 1700
and is in the 1696/7 Act, but in the Ravenel List as of Santee. Louis Juin
had a warrant and grant for 200 acres in 1696 and is listed in the 1696/7
Act. The Juin family is found there in later land transactions and appears
to have been connected with the group clinging to French traditions. Josias
June's will was made and proved in 1725. It was witnessed by John Lapierre
and Henry Bossard and mentioned his sisters Susan Fousherole (Faucheraud?)
who married a DuBois and his sister Judith Padget. Francis Pagett, June's
stepfather, left a bequest to the French Church and the will, proved in
1731, mentions Mr. Norman, Anthony Portvin, Susanna Dubois, Mr. Videau,
Louis Mouzon, and was witnessed by Daniel Jaudon, Theodore Trezvant and
Daniel Jaudon, Jr.
The will of Isaac Lesesne, proved 1736/7,
mentions Mr. DeHay, Sr. and his wife. The will of James Lesesne, proved
in 1752, names his brothers Isaac and Daniel Lesesne, with his family.
The will of Daniel Huger, dated 1754, mentions Limrick, Rice Hope, Hagan,
and various Huguenot names.
Nicholas De Longuemare, Sr. and Jr. are on
the Ravenel List tor naturalization as being of Santee. One Nicholas de
Longuemare had a warrant for 100 acres in Orange Quarter in 1685 and a
grant in 1688/9. They had other grants there and were connected with the
Bonneau and other Orange Quarter families. Jacob Lapotre had a grant for
1000 acres in 1709 and Daniel Brabant had a grant for 500 acres in 1709.
Joseph Marboeuf had a warrant for 490 acres in 1 708/9 and grant in 1709
and is in the Act of 1696/7. Caesar Mose is not in any list, but his presence
in Orange Quarter is verified by his will dated and proved in 1687 in which
he mentions his plantation there and leaves a bequest to the congregation
for the erection of a "temple" near his plantation. He states that he is
living w ith a Mr. Nicholas yleran. Alexander de la Motte had a warrant
in 1702 and grant in 1704 for 800 acres.
The will of Estienne Mounier (Stephen Miller)
merchant, dated in 1747, mentions Isaac and Vincent Guerin, nephew Moise
Mounier, niece Madeleine Mounier, leaves 50 silver pieces at interest for
the poor, and mentions the French Church. It is witnessed by Rev. John
James Tissott and his relatives, Anthony Bonneau and Walter Dallas.
Louis Mouzon had a warrant for 500 acres in 1708.
Philip Normand had a warrant in 1697 and grant
in 1704 for 150 acres, is in the Act of 1696/7 and the Rav enel List. In
1756, both Philip Normand and John Guerin made wills naming their families
and French connections.
Peter (Pierre) Poitevin had a warrant in 1702
and grant in 1704 for 400 acres, was in the Act of 1696/7 and the Ravenel
List for Orange Quarter.
Benjamin Simons had a warrant for 100 acres
in 1697 and a grant of 350 acres in 1704. Judge H. A. M. Smith considered
this a part of Middleburg Plantation.
John Petineau had a warrant and grant for
100 acres in 1704. In his will, proved in 1722, he calls himself "weaver"
and names wife Susanne. This will was witnessed by June, Bergain and Bonneau.
Humphrey Torquet had a warrant in 1696/7 and
a grant in 1700 for 320 acres and is in the Act of 1696/7. Paul Torquet
had a grant for 450 acres in I704 and is also in the Act.
The will of Mrs. Frances Padgett, dated 1743,
names her son John Padgett, daughter Susannah Dubois; grandchildren: Walter
and Francis Dallas, Elizabeth Quash, Mary Bonneau, Frances Dubois; and
leaves 50 pounds to Rev. Vr. John Tissott, and shows the intermarriage
taking place among the French families. The will of John Pagett indicates
the growing prosperity of these families and names many of the persons
named in his mother's will. The undestroyed part of this will shows the
growing prosperity of the French. He leaves 100 pounds to the vestry of
St. Denis' Parish for the poor and 100 pounds to Rev. John James Tissot.
Daniel Trezevant had a warrant for 330 acres
in 1698 and a grant in 1703 and is on the Ravenel List. His will was proved
in 1726 and witnessed by James Saunicay, Francis Des Champs and Jean Louis
Palmerin. Matthew Tullada had a warrant in 1704 and grant in 1705 for 300
acres. Jeremiah Varine had a warrant and grant for 360 acres in 1711.
The following is taken from the Ravenel List
as it was written in French. This shows that Peter Videau was born in La
Rochelle, the son of Peter Videau and Madelaine Burgaud. It gives the name
of his wife, their daughter born in London and the son and daughters born
in Carolina and is an example of the kind of information you may find about
Pierre Videaul, ne a la Rochelle fils de Pierre
Videaul, et de Madelaine Burgaud.
Janne Elizabeth, sa femme.
Janne Elizabeth, leur fille, nee a Londre.
Pierre Nicholas, leur fils, Marianne Videaul,
Marthe Ester Videaul, Judith Videaul, Janne Videaul, et Madelaine Videaul,
nes en Caroline.
Most of the above appear to have been related
in France or by marriage of their children in Carolina and are witnesses
and executors to the wills of each other. An example is found in the Bonneau
and Videau families with two of the Bonneau children marrying two of the
Videaus. Huguenot Society Transactions No. 80 carries under the "Peyre
Records" the story of the intermarriage of the Juin, Padget, Dubois, Bonneau,
Poinset, Dallas, Mouzon and other Huguenot families.
In general terms Orange Quarter extended from
the Eastern Branch of the Cooper River on the northeast and Craven County
on the east down to the Wando River. As seen from grants, the earliest
settlements were probably small plantations settled thickly along Wisbooe
Creek, which eventually became known as French Quarter Creek. There was
no clear separation between the outlying French of Orange Quarter and
Jamestown. This strong tendency of the French to marry each other helped
to bind together the French of the four settlements within the bounds of
present day Berkeley County and Charleston, for there are many instances
of persons moving to and from Charles Town and the other French settlements
and operating businesses in Charles Town.
"Historic Ramblin's Through Berkeley"