Outstanding Huguenots of St. John's, Berkeley
Information and Article from
"Historic Ramblin's Through Berkeley"
written by and used with permission of
Mr. J. Russell Cross
The 1711/12 will of Anthony
, Physician, lists as executors his brother James Cordes,
Rene Ravenel, Paul Peter LeBas, Esq., Peter de St. Julien, Esq., and was
witnessed by John Perineau, Moses Carion, James Dabor, and Moses
Carion, Jr., indicating a close association with the Santee Settlement.
Anthony Cordes was not listed in the 1697 Act of Naturalization, but the
Ravenel List of persons desiring naturalization lists him as Anthoine Cordes
along with his wife, Ester Madeleine Balluet, and their children, Isaac,
Madeleine, and Ester, who was born in Carolina.
Jean Cordes, wife of James Cordes, Gent.,
made her will in 1715 and mentions only a few french names, including her
granddaughters: Judith, Ann, and Jane Gerard; her cousin Daniel Jahndine
(Jaudon); and John Pereneau and Anthony Bonoe (Bonneau).
De St. Julien
, who was listed with his wife in 1696 in the Ravenel
List, made his will on June 2, 1718 (written in French), leaving Wantoot
plantation and other land to his eldest son Pierre, Aaron Springs and other
land to his son James, land on the Santee to Paul, land at Half Way Swamp
and other land to Henry, and other property to Joseph and Alexander and
Daniel. His daughters were Damaris Elizabeth and Jeanne
. Other French mentioned were Gabrieie Pellet, Paul
Trapier, Henry LeNoble, Emanuel Marquis, Paul Lescott (Minister), Isaac
Mazyck, Mr. de la Consiliere, and Mr. Legare. Requests were left
to the poor of the Church
of Charles Town
and Mons. Claude Phillipe de Richebourg, minister.
Witnesses were Benj. Gourdin, Pierre Manigault, Jean Gendroon, Paul Douxsaint,
and Henry Gignilliat.
His son Paul
de St. Julien
is remembered as the builder of Hanover
(1720). This house was made entirely of cypress and was considered
the most valuable of the house taken down when Santee-cooper project was
developed. It may now be seen at Clemson University where it has
The son Henry de St. Julien
, who died
in st. John's, Berkeley, was the possessor of the papers known as the St.
Julien or Ravenel List
Through his sister
who lived at Wantoot
the papers passed into the Ravenel Family.
, widow of Henry
, of Pooshee
made h er will January 1725/6. This will indicated the degree to
which the French families married each other. In this instance we
find the name LeNoble
, and Chastaigner.
She left bequests to the poor of St. John's Parish and to the poor
of the French Church in Charles Town. These bequests could indicate
that the Huguenots of St. John's Berkeley no longer had a functioning Huguenot
of St. John's made his
will in January, 1726/7. In addition to naming his family, he mentions
his residence as Grande Fountaine.
In July 1736, Daniel
made his will, leaving to his wife Damaris
the use of Somerton
for life. At her death
it was to go to his son Daniel. His daughter was to receive Somerset
which he had inherited from his brother Paul. Charlotte was to get
land west of Somerton. Mary, Ann, and Elizabeth were the youngest
daughters. Mentioned are his brother-in-law James and Paul de
, his brother Rene; and Joseph de St. Julien was a witness.
The will of Damaris
Elizabeth (Le Serrurier) de St. Julien
, mother-in-law of Daniel
, explains early relationships of the St. Julien, Ravenel and
Mazyck families. She bequest to the French Church in Charles Town.
Records of the French, especially before 1706,
often do not indicate the part of Berkeley County in which they lived,
but Peter Jacob Guerard
was a resident in 1704/5, as was a Mr.
, Anthony Bonneau
was listed in 1712 and by 1716 Paul
was here. Gabriel Marion
and Francis Marion was born in 1732 on Goatfield
which later became a part of Chachan
In 1686 James Le Bas
bought 1500 acres
from Landgrave Joseph West. Most of this land became what we know
as Epsom, Mitton and Keithfield
. James Le Bas and his son
Jacque were in the Ravenel List
James Le Bas,
grandson of the above-mentioned
immigrant, made his will in 1737, leaving 100 pounds for the purchase of
silver plate for the Parish Church. At some time the Church of England
Parish came into possession of the "French Chalice." Dr. Dalcho is
quoted as saying " A chalice of Silver gift, was presented the Parish.
It had been used by the protestants in France, before the Revocation of
the Edict of Nantes
and brought to Carolina by the Rev. Mr. Lessou (L'Escot),
Minister of a French congregation in this Province."
In 1865, Keating Simons Ball buried this silver
under a barn at Comingtee. Having been buried for 82 years, it was
located by use of a mine detector in 1947.
Huguenot culture is said to have flowered
in St. John's Berkeley. A Day On The Cooper River
by Dr. John
A. Irving gives some idea of the Huguenot families that moved into the
lower part of St. John's Parish.
The story of the Huguenot migration from France
to Carolina is the story of an immigrant people who clung to their faith
and religious practices through persecution in France, through the hardships
of migration and temporary homes in England and the Low Countries, through
indentured servitude and harsh living conditions upon arrival in Carolina,
yet most of their descendants gave up the religious practices of the fathers
for opportunities and preferment offered by the Establishment with the
added inducement of wealth and social acceptance. Many of their descendants
are now found in most religious groups today and many do not know of the
struggles of their French Ancestors to achieve religious, political and
"Historic Ramblin's Through Berkeley"