40-8  Columbia Male Academy


colaacaba
Site of Columbia Male Academy
Corner of Pickens and Laurel Streets, Columbia

Trustees appointed by legislature 1792 were incorporated 1795 and served as trustees for male and female academies.  School located here 1827 on land given by Gov. John Taylor.  Though publicity endowed, the school was conducted as a private academy until 1883 when it was merged with public school system.  Hugh S. Thompson, Governor of S.C. 1882-86, was principal of male academy 1865-80.




Return to Historical Marker Index


Columbia Chapter, SCGS
PO Box 11353
Columbia, SC 29211-1353


Designed and Created by Gloria Kubicki as a Service Project for National Beta Club