40-115 Seibels House
 
house
This is the house the marker mentions.  It is decribed in detail below.



40-115 Seibels House (Front)
Corner of Pickens and Richland streets, Columbia

This house, listed in the National Register of Historic Places and probably built during the last decade of the 18th century, is one of the few remaining houses from this era in Columbia.  It was purchased prior to 1860 by the Seibels family, pioneers in the insurance field, and remained in the family until 1984 when Seibels descendant George R. P. Walker donated it to Historic Columbia Foundation.




Seibels House (Reverse)
This house stands on plantation lands of Thomas Taylor, one of Columbia's founding fathers, who is buried two blocks east of the old family cemetery.  The date 1796, seen on hand-hewn basement beam by a local historian about 1935, indicates the house was built shortly after the city's founding in 1786.  An early seperate kitchen built of hand-made brick stands behind the house.  Erected by the Columbia Committee of the National Society of Colonial Dames of America in the State of South Carolina -- 1991



Return to Historical Marker Index


Columbia Chapter, SCGS
PO Box 11353
Columbia, SC 29211-1353

Created and designed by Gloria Kubicki as a Service Project for National Beta Club