Newspaper Clipping of 14 December 1939

__________________________________The News & Herald,W

Fort Wagner In Fairfield
Marked By DAR Chapter
| that time  consisted  of himself and 
| several daughters.                  
|   When   they  reached  South  Caro-
| lina  the Moberlys  settled  on Pop-
| lar  Ridge   on  the  east  side  of 
| Beaver  creek  in  the  western part 
| of  Fairfield  county   Jans  Wagner 
| and  his  family  of  girls  settled 
| about   where   Reedy  branch   emp-
| ties into Beaver creek.             
|   (As referred  to  in Mills Statis-
| tics)  Because  of the frequent  in-
| cursion  by  the Indians  it  became 
| necessary  to  construct  forts  for 
| the protection  of the  settlers  a-
| gainst   the   enemy's   raids   and 
| among  the   chain   erected,   Fort 
| Wagoner,   built   by   Jans  Wagner 
| for the better security  of his fam-
| ily,  was the first to be construct-
| ed;  and  here  in  this strong log-
| hewn blockhouse  the  neighbors  for 
| miles  around   would   gather   for 
| safety."                            
|   There   was   also  a  controversy 
| with   the  Hamptons   who   claimed 
| this  land   and  as  a  consequence 
| the  Moberlys   moved  farther  east 
| in  the  county,   Jans  Wagner  and 
| his girls,  though,  continued to be
| troubled  by the Hamptons,  but  be-
| ing protected by the fort, held onto 
| the  property  till  the  grant  was 
| confirmed.                          
|   As  noted,  the Mobleys  had  mov-
| ed  farther east  and  at  this  new 
| location  built  another fort.  Mary 
| Wagner,   daughter   of   Hans  Wag-
| ner,   married   Samuel  Mobley  and 
| by   this   marriage   Hans   Wagner 
| became    the   ancestor   of   many 
| prominent  families  in  the state."
|   Among   the   many   claims   Hans 
| Wagner   has   for  remembrance   is 
| that tradition  says  that  he  fur-
| nished  two bales  of  that historic 
| shipment  of six bales of cotton  to 
| England.  This is not verified,  for 
| the  authorities  questioned  wheth-
| er  the colonies  could produce that 
| much.   However,  be  this  true  or 
| not,  Wagner  truly  exemplified the 
| spirit  of a courageous pioneer  and 
| patriot.

Photo and Story Courtesy of The State
  Appearing  above   is  the   hand-
some  granite  stone,   marking  the 
site  of  Fort  Wagner  in Fairfield 
county,  which  was recently unveil-
ed  by  the  Richard  Winn  chapter, 
Daughters  of  the   American  Revo-
lution.  Standing by  the tablet are 
Isabel  Wright  and  Henrietta  Ros-
som,  who  did the  unveiling at the 
impressive   ceremony.    Both   are 
direct  descendants   of  Hans  Wag-
ner,  who  built the fort in 1760 as 
a  refuge   from  the  Cherokee  In-
dians.
  At the side  of the fort,  a small 
stone  was  placed,  and  on highway 
215  near the site,  a  large  stone 
was erected.
  Taking part in the exercises, pre-
sided  over  by  the chapter regent, 
Mrs.  J.  T.  McBryde,  were the de-
scendants   of   Hans  Wagner,   who 
built the fort in 1760.
  The  salute  to the flag  and  the 
pledge  of allegiance  were  led  by 
Mrs.  H.  G.  Wright.  Following as-
sembly   singing   of   "The   Star-
Spangled  Banner,"  and  the invoca-
tion,  the  regent  made the dedica-
tion  speech  as the stone was slow-
ly  unveiled  by  Isabel Wright  and 
Henrietta Rosson.  Mrs.  B. H.  Ros-
son  gave  the   tribute   to   Hans 
Wagner.   A  poem,  "Pioneers,"  was 
contributed  by  Miss  Edith  Wright 
and  Mrs. J. R. SheItoh  placed  the 
laurel   wreath.   The  singing   of 
"America,"  the  benediction  by the 
chaplain,  Mrs.  Arthur Maybin,  and

| the  retirement   of   the   colors 
| brought  to  a close  an  event  of 
| importance  in  the history  of the 
| Richard  Winn  chapter,   Daughters 
| of  the  American  Revolution,  for 
| plans  for  placing this marker had 
| been  in the making several  years.
|   The  marker  bears  the following 
| inscription:  "Fort  Wagner,   Site 
| One  Mile  East   at   Junction  of 
| Beaver  Creek  and   Reedy  Branch. 
| Built  in  1760  by Hans Wagner  as 
| a  refuge  from  the  Cherokee  In-
| dians.  Erected  by  Richard  Winn 
| Chapter, D. A. R. 1938."           
|   Prior  to  the  unveiling  of the 
| tablet,  the  Richard Winn  chapter 
| held a special meeting  at the home 
| of  Mrs.  Gus  McMeekin  at  Monti-
| cello. After the meeting,  Mrs. Mc-
| Meekin  was  hostess  at  a  lovely 
| luncheon  for  the  chapter members 
| and their guests.
|   Quoting  from  Mills' Statistics: 
| "Fort  Wagoner  (sic)  was  erected 
| during  the  Cherokee  war of  1760 
| on  Beaver creek six miles from its 
| mouth. Into this, the poor scatter-
| ed inhabitants flocked and  receiv-
| ed its protection  until the end of
| the war."
|   When  the  Moberlys  (now  spell-
| ed    Mobley)    emmigrated    from 
| Maryland  between  the  years  1758 
| and  1760,  to  South Carolina,  en 
| route  through  North Carolina near 
| Yadkin  river,   the  caravan   was 
| joined   by  one  Jans  Wagner,   a 
| Hollander,  and his family,  who at
Return to Newspapers on Fairfield County GenWeb Page
Return to photo of Monument
Return to the Legend of the Historic Map of Fairfield

The url of this page is
http://www.rootsweb.com/~scfairfi/391214.html

This page was put on the web 2 December 1999.
This page was last modified 4 April 2000.

This page was put on the web by
James W. Green III.


This is the Bottom of this Web Page (End of File).