Navigation Bar Photo Album Records Research Aids
Welcome to Horry County, SCGenWeb!
Reference
Research Aids
Military Information & Records
Documents & Records
Other Horry County Websites
  • All links
  • South Carolina State Reference
  • Horry County Reference
  • Cities & Towns
  • Newspapers
  • Personal Sites

Located on the eastern coast of South Carolina and formerly known as Kingston, Horry County was formed in 1801 from Georgetown District.

 

Neighboring Horry County are the counties of Dillon, Marion, Georgetown, Brunswick (North Carolina), and Columbus (North Carolina).

 

Horry County Post Offices, 1859:

  • Bayborough
  • Bucksville
  • Conwayborough
  • Galivant's Ferry
  • Green Sea
  • Little River

1870's Description:

Horry, an E. county of South Carolina, bordering on the Atlantic and North Carolina, bounded W. by the Little Pedee, which flows into the Great Pedee on the S.W. border of the county, and drained by the Waccamaw River; area 1,200 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 10,721, of whom 3,235 were colored. It has a low, marshy surface, and is partly covered with large forests of pine. The soil is generally poor. The Wimington, Columbia, and Augusta railroad touches the N. corner. The chief productions in 1870 were 62,039 bushels of Indian corn, 72,232 of sweet potatoes, 74 bales of cotton, 417, 507 lbs of rice. There were 451 horses, 3,347 milch cows, 6,431 other cattle, 7,592 sheep, 17,399 swine; 3 saw mills, and 8 manufactories of tar and turpentine. Capital, Conwayborough.

 

Excerpt taken from The American cyclopædia, 1873-1876.

 

 

 

The Horry County, SCGenWeb Site

State Coordinator: Denise Wells

Asst. State Coordinator: Jeff Kemp

This site is maintained by The SCGenWeb and USGenWeb Projects. To contribute to this page, email us:

Click to email us

This page last updated on Tuesday, 09-Dec-2014 00:00:35 MST