Military Information & Records
Documents & Records
Other Horry County Websites
- All links
- South Carolina State Reference
- Horry County Reference
- Cities & Towns
- Personal Sites
Located on the eastern coast of South Carolina and formerly known as
Kingston, Horry County was formed in 1801 from Georgetown District.
Neighboring Horry County are the counties of Dillon, Marion, Georgetown, Brunswick (North
Carolina), and Columbus (North
Horry County Post Offices, 1859:
- Galivant's Ferry
- Green Sea
- Little River
Horry, an E. county of South Carolina, bordering on the Atlantic and
North Carolina, bounded W. by the Little Pedee, which flows into the
Great Pedee on the S.W. border of the county, and drained by the Waccamaw
River; area 1,200 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 10,721, of whom 3,235 were colored.
It has a low, marshy surface, and is partly covered with large forests
of pine. The soil is generally poor. The Wimington, Columbia, and Augusta
railroad touches the N. corner. The chief productions in 1870 were 62,039
bushels of Indian corn, 72,232 of sweet potatoes, 74 bales of cotton,
417, 507 lbs of rice. There were 451 horses, 3,347 milch cows, 6,431
other cattle, 7,592 sheep, 17,399 swine; 3 saw mills, and 8 manufactories
of tar and turpentine. Capital, Conwayborough.
Excerpt taken from The American cyclopædia, 1873-1876.