originally published in the Lancaster News, 8 Feb 1991
Some Names Rich in County History
This collection of Lancaster County names was compiled by the late Viola Floyd, historian.
Lancaster -- named in 1785 by Scotch-Irish settlers who came to South Carolina
from Lancaster County, PA.
Kershaw -- named in honor of Maj. Gen. Joseph Brevard Kershaw who served in both
the Mexican and Civil Wars. A lawyer from Camden, he was elected a state senator and U.S. Congressman,
then served as a 5th Circuit judge from 1874 to 1893.
Heath Springs -- named either for a mineral spring owned by D.B. Heath or a business
firm named Heath, Springs & Co. owned by a Mr. Heath and Col. Leroy Springs.
Van Wyck -- was first called Heath's. In 1887, when the Seaboard Railroad established
a station there, the stop was called Van Wyck by General Hoke, a railroad official whose wife's maiden name
was Van Wyck.
Pleasant Hill -- is the highest point in the county. The Rev. Charles Woodmason,
Anglican missionary to South Carolina, wrote in 1767 that he had selected a future home site on a
Fork Hill -- named because for more than 150 years the main road from Lancaster to
Camden intersected with the road from Lancaster to Chesterfield here.
Elgin -- named by a railroad conductor who daily timed his stop there by an Elgin
watch and who always claimed he was "on time" as a result.
Haile Gold Mine -- includes the lands around an old gold mine site near Kershaw.
Gold was first discovered there in 1827, on a branch of Little Lynches Creek on the plantation of Col.
Bell Town -- named for Nelson Bell, an early settler who owned and operated a small
scale iron foundry in connection with his blacksmith and woodworking shop.
Buford -- surrounds the site of Buford's Battleground, where the Americans commanded by
Col. Abraham Buford were massacred in 1790 by Tarleton's British forces.
Rocky River Road -- part of a former Indian trail joining Charleston with Virginia by
way of Salisbury, NC.
York Street -- named in 1802 when the town was chartered because it was the last street
on the road leading toward York and York county.
Landsford Road is the road which led toward Land's Ford on the Catawba River.
Dunlap Street -- named for an early resident, Samuel Dunlap.
Hubbard Drive -- named for the late J. Clifford Hubbard, a Springs' executive who
helped to establish USC-Lancaster.
Barr Street -- named for Nathan Barr, a Revolutionary soldier, who operated a tavern
just north of Lancaster.
Clinton Avenue -- named for the late Dr. J.J. Clinton, a Lancaster physician, and his
father, Isom Clinton, at one time treasurer of Lancaster County and later a bishop in the AME Church.
Franandel Street -- named for three young housewives, Fran Yarborough, Ann Coulbourn,
and Delle Williams, who lived there.