These photographs taken
Cindy Parker on July 18, 2001.
The first church of St. Mark’s was built around 1740, near Wright’s Bluff on the north side of the Santee River. It was destroyed by the British. In 1809, it was rebuilt in Williamsburg County. In 1820, a beautiful silver-christening bowl was given to the church by Mrs. Mary Grimke Ward of Charleston. This church was destroyed by fire.
In 1827 or 1828, the church was rebuilt near Remini on the A.C.L. Railroad. In 1828, a communion service was given by Mr. Charles Richardson of Clarendon. The spot where the wooden building was erected proved to be unhealthy, so it was moved higher up on the Charleston-Camden Road, but in a few years, the church was destroyed by a forest fire.
The present church was built in the heart of the Sand Hills. Two acres were given for the church by Col. R.C. Richardson and Col. R.T. Manning, along with 15 acres for a parsonage. The parsonage was built mainly by the contributions of members of the congregation. The present St. Marks Church was completed in 1856.
and Palmetto State Roots
© 2001 Cynthia Ridgeway Parker
Sumter County, SCGenWeb Home Page