Alcolu was founded in 1890 as a sawmill town. Mr. Alderman, the lumberman, used the first two letters of three names from his family: Alderman, Coleman, and Lula to create the name. Alcolu is in Clarendon County and can be reached from Sumter via 521 South. There is an I-95 exit at Alcolu.
Alcott in Lee County was founded in 1900 and named for Lousia M. Alcott by the postmaster, J.A. Hearon because his daughter loved Alcott's books.
Andrews Chapel Church - From Sumter, take 15 to Silver. From Silver, take Route 57 to H.T. Everett Road (306). The Cemetery is about 1/4 mile down on the left hand side.
Argyle Academy - This school was built in the front yard of the McLaurin home in Stateburg during the 1860s.
Bear Creek is in present day Clarendon County and was named for the numerous bears who once inhabited the area. It runs into the Pocataligo River.
Beaver Dam Branch runs into Scape Creek.
Beech Creek in Sumter County was named for the Beech trees that grew there.
Benbow in Clarendon County was named for the Benbow family.
Bennetts Branch runs into Little River.
Bentley River runs into the Wateree River.
Bethlehem United Methodist Chuch - This church is located north of Davis Station in Clarendon County. To find it from Manning, take Route 260, to Route 62 where you turn right. The Aycock-Shorter-Richbourg Cemetery is located behind the church cemetery on the right side of a dirt road.
Bethel - See Lodebar
Bethel Baptist Church is located on Nasty Branch, a tributary of the Black River, Bethel Baptist Church is located about eight miles south of the city of Sumter. It is not known exactly how long Bethel existed as a branch of High Hills. Bethel was organized in 1780 and entered the Charleston Association in1782. Although the church was disbanded for a time around 1800, it was revived in 1810. The first building was built on land belonging to either Hezikiah or Jesse Nettles.
From 1780 to 1854, records of nine pastors can be found: Rev. Solomon Thompson, Rev. Washington Belcher, Rev. James Denson, Rev. L. Compeer, Rev. R. Mussledine, Rev. James B. Cook, Rev. James DuPre, Rev. N. Graham, and Rev. S. Furman. Other pastors who served from 1855 - 1955 include: Rev. Isaac Nicholes, Rev. W.E. Hugson, REv. B.C. Lampley, Rev. E.e. Ayers, Rev. R.P. Galphin, Rev. G.G. Covington, Rev. B.C. Lampley, Rev. D.W. Hiott, Rev. E.A. Wyman, Rev. G.T. Graham, Rev. J.I. Ayers, Rev. L.J. Bristow, Rev. T.P. Lide, Rev. C.A. Westbrook, Rev. J.G. Newton, Rev. O.D. Davis, Rev. Paul Kok, Rev. Loyd O. Brunson. (Also, see Privateer.)
Big Branch runs into Wyboo.
Bishopville, the county seat of Lee County, was once known as Singleton's Crossroads. In 1786, 465 acres of land was granted by the State of South Carolina to Jacob Chambers. The property was sold to Daniel Carter and in 1790 it was once again sold to William Singleton. From that time until the name was changed to Bishopville, the settlement was known as Singleton's Crossroads. Singleton and his wife owned a tavern which was a stopping place for the stage coach between Georgetown and Charlotte. The tavern was located at the intersection of Mecklenburg Road, now known as Church Street, and McCallum Ferry Road, now known as Main Street. When Singleton died in 1798, his wife took over the tavern until her death in 1820. The following year, the family sold the land to Dr. Jacques Bishop. Known as Singleton's Crossroads, the town was renamed, Bishopville in honor of Dr. Bishop.
Black River - The Indians called the Black River, the Wee Nee. Black River originates with small streams that drain the area from the Kershaw County line to the Williamsburg County line. There are many branches of Sumter and Clarendon County waters leading into the Black River: Pocataligo, Pudding Swamp, Douglas Swamp and Mount Hope Swamp. The Black River ends its journey to the sea at Winyah Bay in Geogetown County.
Black River Road - Known to be the second oldest road in Sumter District, Black River Road was laid out in 1762, along the north side of Salem Black River, and continued down to Murray's Ferry on the Santee River. A map from the year 1770 shows this road and the Great Road (King's Highway) as the only two in what would later become Sumter District.
Bordon is at the corner of Bordon Road and 266. It's between 521 and Black River Road.
Bradford Springs is above Stateburg. Go through Dalzell and continue on up through on Old 521 North.
Brewington Lake in Clarendon County was first named Brewton because 1,000 acres of land were granted to one Miles Brewton during the Colonial era. The name changed to Brewerton and then to Brewington.
Brick Church is located on Meeting House Swamp, earlier known as Taylor's Swamp. Salem Black River Presbyterian Church was the first church located in St. Mark's Parish. It is thought that the church was established as early as 1739, but there are no records of its history until 1759.
Brisbane's Ferry was the most important ferry over the Wateree River. The road to this ferry developed from a branch of the Cawtaba path. The ferry known as Simmon's Ferry until 1783, when it changed hands and was then owned by the heirs of Wood Furman and Adam Fowler Brisbane. Eventually, the crossing from Sumter to Richland District became known as Garner's Ferry. Located a few miles above Shank's Creek, this is where river boats from Charles Town would unload and load freight.
Burrow's Crossroads is at the intersection of 44 and 441, just inside the Sumter County line near Lee County.
Byrd Ferry was a crossing of Lynches Creek between Lee and Darlington Counties.
Cavalry Baptist Church - According to tradition, Cavalry Baptist was established in present day Clarendon County in 1768, but the earliest records of the church date to 1782. Cavalry was a branch of High Hills Baptist until 1810.
Camden Junction - Foxville
Camp Alice was a tuberculosis sanitorium located near the corner of what is present day Alice Drive and Wise Drive. Today, this is a busy, suburban intersection, with Ward's BBQ and Baker's Sweets, Brabham Real Estate, a CVS pharmacy, and Sambino's located on the four corners, but at one time this was a very quiet, rural area, located away from the city of Sumter. The sanitorium was built in 1916, by H.J. Harby who named the center for his daughter, who had tuberculosis. When first opened, the camp had a 16 bed capacity but by 1942, the capacity was 26 beds. The operating costs of the sanitorium came from an endowment fund donated by Mr. Harby and others. The county and city supplemented the funds and patients who were able to pay for their treatment did so. When tuberculosis became less prevalent, the camp was closed with the property being sold. The proceeds were added to an endowment fund known as Camp Alice Inc. set up by Mr. Harby.
Cantey's Bay Swamp in Clarendon County was named for the Cantey family who lived nearby.
Cantey Cemetery - Take 521 from Manning, to the old River Road (Route 48). Turn left here. The cemetery is on the left about 2 miles down. Look for the sign.
Cantey's Tavern was located on the north side of Jack's Creek, a tributary of the Santee River. (Clarendon County)
Catchall is located north of the town of Stateburg.A Township planned in the North Britian Tract, was named Catchall. A survey was made, with street laid out and named. A post office was established there in 1892. A stagecoach road is said to have branched off of King's Highway. It followed old Raccon Road through Stateburg and Catchall. A fire tower was built by the Forestry Commision in the area in 1907.
Causeway Branch crosses under Loring Mill Road, about a mile from its intersection with Wedgefield Road.
Cedar Creek runs into Scape Creek.
Claremont County - Statesborough (Stateburg) was the seat of Claremont County. Claremont, Clarendon, and Salem were combinded to form Sumter District on January 1, 1800. The name may have been given because of the clear view of the surrounding country sides from the hills in the area.
Claremont Episcopal Church - At first called the Chapel of Ease, the Claremont church was built in 1785. By 1788, the chapel was too small, and money was appropriated to build a larger church. This building was used for about 60 years, before being outgrown by the congregration. A new church was built upon the same site, being completed in 1850 1851, with the name changed to the Church of the Holy Cross.
Clarendon - Pinewood, Fulton
Clarendon County - The name of Clarendon for a county in South Carolina was first proposed in 1783 when the legislature of South Carolina first suggested that the state should be divided into seven court districts. It has been assumed that the county derives its name from Edward Hyde, Earl of Clarendon, one of the original eight Lord Propreitors of the Carolina. A legislative act passed in 1785 which created the county of Clarendon. Old Camden District was divided to form Clarendon and six other counties. At that time, the boundaries of Clarendon County were as follows: "beginning; on the Wateree at Pearson's Island, thence by the widow Grimes's plantation straight to Lynch's Creek, then along Santee River to the beginning. " In 1790, Clarendon County shared a senator with Claremont County (now included in Sumter County) On January 1, 1800, Clarendon County became part of Sumter District. Fifty-five years later, the greatest local political excitement in Sumter District during the summer of 1855, was the agitation by the citizens of old Clarendon County for separation from Sumter District. Lawyers in Sumter fought the plan. They viewed it as a loss of a large share of their business which would be diverted to new courthouse. They lost the battle when the state legislature voted for the plan. In 1868 the State Constitution changed the name from Clarendon District to Clarendon County. Court was held in the Clarendon County Courthouse for the first time on April 19,1858. Clarendon County began its separate existence once again in October of 1856. The post office was established in June of 1856. In January of 1857, a separate judicial district was established in Clarendon County.
Clarendon County Townships are Brewington, Calvary, Concord, Douglas, Friendship, Fulton, Harmony, Manning, Midway, Mount Zion, New Zion, Plowden Mill, Sammy Swamp, Sandy Grove, Santee, St. James, St. Mark, St. Paul.
Clarendon Depot - Middleton
Coles Crossroads - Seloc (Clarendon County)
Coker Cemetery - The W.L. Coker family cemetery is located on the road going to Olive Grove Baptist Church. The cemetery is on the left hand side of the road.
Coker Family Cemetery - Heading from Sumter toward Turbeville, turn right off of 378 onto Route 37 at New Zion Crossroads. The cemetery is on the last dirt road to the right, before you get to the intersection of Route 37 and Route 53.
Concord Church - Located on the old Brewington Road, Concord was organized in 1808. The land on which the church was built was a gift from General Thomas Sumter; with the deed having been signed on October 9, 1809.
Confederate Monument -The
Sumter District Confederate monument is on North
Washington Street, next to the main brach of Wachovia Bank. The
monument was erected in 1874 and lists those honored for Confederate
service from the Old Sumter District. The monument and property within
the fence is owned and maintained by The Dick Anderson Chapter #75,
United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Cootersborough is near the Wisacky crossroads (depot, general store area of 341 & 527). (See Wisacky)
Cowpens - See Lodebar
Cowpens Swamp in Lee County was named for the cowpens built along its banks.
Crane's Crossroads - See Wisacky.
Crow Bay is in Clarendon County.
Dabb's Crossroads is also known as McBride's Corner. It is located at the intersection of 378 and 527 on the north side of Black River Swamp.
Dalzell - See Providence
Deep Creek runs into Pocataligo.
Dennis' Tavern was located on the south side of Jack's Creek, a tributary of the Santee River. (Clarendon County)
Dials Swamp in Clarendon County was named for the Dial family who were early settlers of Williamsburg County.
Dingle's Mill - Located on 521 South, near where Turkey Creek goes under the highway.
Douglas Branch runs into Pudding Swamp.
Douglas Township - Turbeville (Clarendon County)
DuBose is around the intersection of 290 and 44. 44 connects with Highway 15 North at Antioch Church.
DuBose Crossroads - Highway 15 (Sumter County)
DuBose's Ferry crossed Lynches Creek from Lee into Darlington County.
Durant Family Cemetery - This cemetery is located on a little lane off of Brewington Road (Route 50), just before you reach Interstate 95.
Ellerbe's Mill - Ellerbe's Mill is located in the Rembert-Rafting Creek area.
Elliott in Lee County was originally known as Law's Crossroads.
English Crossroads - See Lynchburg
Fellowship Cemetery is in Clarendon County. To find it, take 301 from Manning to Rt. 63 and turn left. The cemetery is a little less than a mile south of 301.
Foreston Cemetery - Take 521, out of Manning, toward Greelyville. Turn at the intersection of 521 and Route 50 (Brewington Road). At Route 211, turn right. The cemetery is on the left side of the road, across from Lookout Tower Road.
Fort Watson - In April of 1781, General Francis Marion and General Henry Lee were in dire need of ammunition. They first harassed the British fort by cutting off the water supply that the British obtained from Scott's Lake, but this failed because the British managed to get water from the river. The idea of a siege had to be scrapped. Marion's cause seemed hopeless because the fort consisted of a strong palisade erected on an Indian mound which rose about 30 feet above the plain, especially since he had no artillery. Throughout the night if April 25th, the forest around Scott's Lake rang with the sound of axes. On the morning of April 26th, the British saw themselves confronted with a tower of logs built high enough to overtop the mound. As the patriots poured a withering fire down upon the fort, the British realized that their cause was hopeless. They surrendered. Thus, Marion and the other patriot forces were supplied with ammunition taken from the fort and resupplied with a good portion of the stores that General Sumter had lost. (The Fort Watson Indian Mound still exists in Clarendon County, not far from Summerton. The mound now overlooks Lake Marion. I climbed that mound many times as a child when my family would spend the day swimming, picnicing, and water sking at the area of the lake everyone calls Fort Watson. To find Fort Watson, travel through Summerton on Highway 15. A few miles out, look for the right turn into the Fort Watson area. Travel down this road, with the lake on your left, until you find that the road ends. The Indian mound and site of the famous battle are located at the end of this road.)
Foxville in Sumter County was at one time known as Camden Junction. It is a fox hunting area of the Wateree Swamp.
Fullers Earth Creek ran into the Santee River.
Fulton began to develop as a summer home for planters from the nearby low country during the early 1800s, a few miles to the south of the present day St. Mark's Episcopal Church. A post office was established in Fulton in the year 1816. Colonel Richardson's famous racing stable was located at Fulton. Races being held at the Fulton Jockey's Club were advertised in local newspapers during the 1930s. By the 1840, Jeptha Dyson was operating a large cotton factory in Fulton. In 1848, the factory was destroyed by fire, so Dyson floated a loan to rebuild. The project was never completed. The December 25, 1850 Sumter Banner contains an advertisement offering the factory for sale. Dyson may have sold the factory for personal reasons. His son, Richard Manning Dyson, was arraigned for the murder of C.D. Gayle. The trial was conducted as great expense to his family. Although there were witnesses who testified that Dyson acted in self-defense, he was found guilty of manslaughter with a recommendation for clemency. The Dyson family began to urge for a separation of Clarendon from Sumter District, which was accomplished in 1855. Fulton was a thriving community until the 1880s. At this time the Charleston, Sumter, & Northern Railroad opened a train station called Pinewood, and eventually Fulton once again became a crossroads. In 1920, a 92 square mile portion of Clarendon which included the Fulton area voted to be annexed by Sumter County.
Gaillard's Crossroads is at the intersection of 441 and 443 (Black River Road).
Gamble Family Cemetery - To find the Gamble Cemetery, take 378 from Sumter, going toward Turbeville and turn right onto Route 37 at New Zion. The cemetery is about 1 and a half miles down on the right hand side of the road. It has a fence around it, but there are some graves at the back that are not inside of the fence.
Garner's Ferry was once known as Brisbane's Ferry.
Gethsemane Cemetery - Take Route 260 from Manning (this is the road by the Piggly Wiggly that leads to Lake Marion). Go south to Jordan and turn right at the crossroads. Go down about 3/4 of a mile and turn right onto the first dirt road. The cemetery is about 1/4 mile down this dirt road. It's in the woods at the edge of a field.
Gibbon's Family Cemetery - Traveling from Sumter, toward Turbeville on 378, turn right onto Route 45. The cemetery is on the right hand side, just past the junction of Route 45 and Route 36.
Goodwill is just north of Dabb's Crossroads.
Gordens Branch runs into Black River.
Green Swamp is the area off of McCrays Mill Road and Lewis Road. McCrays Mill Road used to be known as Green Swamp Road. Green Swamp empties into the Pocataligo River. McCrays used to be spelled McRae's.
Gum Branch (1) empties into Cowpen Swamp.
Gum Branch (2) emptied into the Santee River.
Hagood was once known as Sander's Station. The name was changed to Hagood to honor General Johnson Hagood, who as a Colonel commanded the first South Carolina Regiment in the War Between the States. Hagood served as governor of South Carolina from 1880 - 1882.
Halfway Swamp - The Battle of Halfway Swamp occurred on February 1781. Pursuing his policy of making dangerous the line between Charleston and Camden, General Marion met the 64th British Regiment at Halfway Swamp. Major Robert McLeroth, considered to be the most humane of all British commanders, accepted Marion's challenge to determine the battle by twenty selected men from each side. When the twenty men were ready to do battle, a British officer road forward, and the British army shouldered their muskets and retreated. McLeroth had used the plan as an ruse to consume daylight and slip away under cover of darkness. The first St. Mark's Church was located in Halfway Swamp. Halfway Swamp emptied into the Santee River.
High Hills Baptist Church - See web page
Hobbs Lake empties into the Old River.
Hodge Cemetery - This cemetery is located just past the intersection of Brewington Road (Route 50) and 301 (Wilson's Crossroads). The cemetery is on the left side of the road, down a narrow, dirt lane, which is between two fields.
Holladay Cemetery - The Holladay Family Cemetery is in the town of Manning. Get onto Rudy Street until you reach a dead end. Turn right here and go down the dirt lane until you find the cemetery on the left in a field.
Holy Cross Episcopal Church - The Church of the Holy Cross is located on Highway 261 in Stateburg. If you are coming from Columbia, turn left off of 378 onto 261 at the traffic light. (This if the first traffic light that you will encounter in Sumter County, driving in from Columbia.)If you are coming from Sumter, turn right off of 378 at the light onto 261. The church is a little way down on the right. A notable example of Gothic Revival design, cruciform plan, corner towers and pointed arches. The church is uniquely constructed of Pise de Terre (rammed earth). Buried in the church cemetery is Joel Roberts Poinsett, Statesman and botanist, who gave us the beautiful Christmas flower, the Poinsettia, which he brought from Mexico when serving as ambassador there.
Home Branch Baptist Church - From Sumter, take 521 South. Turn right, at Graham Baptist Church onto Twelve Bridges Road. When Twelve Bridges Road ends, turn left. Turn right at the first pave road. You will see a small sign indicating Home Branch Church. The church and cemetery are on the left, about 2.8 miles down this road.
Hope Swamp forms a line between Clarendon and Williamsburg Counties and runs into Pudding Creek.
Horatio - Louellen
Horse Branch Freewill Baptist Church - The church is on the left hand side of the highway, on Route 378, on the other side of Turbeville, as you come from Sumter.
Horse Creek runs between the Santee and Little River.
Horsepen Swamp runs into Scape Creek Swamp.
Hungary Hall Branch runs into the Pocataligo River.
Jack's Creek was the site of the Battle of Richburg's Mill on November 5, 1780. Francis Marion camped with 500 horsemen at Jack's Creek, ten miles above Nelson's Ferry. A spy reported the camp to Tarleton and lit a large fire hoping Marion would think "Big; Home" was on fire but the Richardsons warned Marion who skirted the bogs and never checked Ball, his horse, until he has ridden across Richburg's Mill Dam. A Tory prisoner escaped and reported this to Tarelton who chased Marion and his men down the now U.S. 15, to Pocataligo Swamp, down the Georgetown Road, and on to Ox Swamp, a distance of 26 miles.(Currently, Jack's Creek is a favorite fishing spot for local fishermen.) It's said that Jack's Creek was named for an Indian guide, Indian Jack, who was with the early traveler, John Lawson, around 1700, when he explored the area around the Santee.
James' High Hill Tavern - This, the oldest tavern in Sumter District was owned by the elder Sherwood James. It was located at the head of Beech Creek, at Stateburg. By 1780, the tavern was known as William's. In later years, this may have been the well-known Powell's Tavern of Stateburg.
Jordan Methodist Church - Take Route 260 from Manning (this is the road by the Piggly Wiggly that leads to Lake Marion), toward Jordon. Turn left, just past Jordan onto Route 547. The church is on the right.
Junction - Kingville (this is possibly in Richland County)
King's Highway - The oldest road in Sumter County had it beginnings in an old Cawtaba Indian trail, located east of the Wateree River. It became a public road in 1753, as an artery between Charleston and Camden. Old records show this road was also referred to as "Broad Road," the "Great Road," or "Charleston Road." This road is numbered as S.C. State Highway 261.
Lake Marion - "Santee-Cooper Country" is even more important today for its value to sportsmen than for the hydroelectric power that the dams and dikes were built to produce. The Santee-Cooper lake system consists of two lakes. Lake Marion, named for the " Swamp Fox" of the American Revolution, Francis Marion, contains 110,600 acres and is joined to Lake Moultrie by the 6.5 mile Diversion Canal. The two rivers, the Santee and the Cooper, lend their names to the area known as "Santee-Cooper;" which spreads across a number of South Carolina counties including, Clarendon, Sumter, Orangeburg, Berkeley, and Calhoun. The fishery resource at the Santee-Cooper lakes has been acclaimed as being among the very best in the country since the lakes were first impounded. Rated among the top three fishing areas in America, Santee-Cooper country is world famous for its sports fishing. Here may be caught giant catfish and the only landlocked striped bass in the world, locally known as rock fish. The lakes hold eight state and two world fishing records and welcomes water sking and boating enthusiasts as well as fishermen. Lake Marion was not completely cleared and as a result there are thousands of stumps and standing dead trees which make for a fish haven.
Laws Crossroads - See Elliott
Lee County - The area that would become Lee County was settled as early as 1740. Prior to 1740, there were few white people in the area. Before and during Colonial days, small tribes of Catawbas, Santee, Seratees, Waterees, and Kadapaws, lived and camped in the area. At first the region was part of the vaguely defined and unorganized, Craven County. Travel was limited to Indian paths and waterways. In 1750, a large colony of settlers came down from Virginia and the North. Most of them settled near Stateburg, in present day Sumter County. By 1769 what is now Lee County became part of the CamdenDistrict for court purposes. In 1792, Salem County was created from portions of Claremont and Clarendon Counties. The boundaries of the county started with a line beginning at the District of Georgetown on Black River and then the line ran to Lynch's Creek and up the creek to the line of Kershaw, then on 'Scape Whore Swamp and down 'Scape Whore to Black River and down the river to its beginning. Salem was not the name which the residents of the area had chosen for their new county. In a petition to the Senate in 1791, they asked that the county be name Green County. The legislators chose Salem. A few years later, on January 1, 1800 Salem County, along with Claremont and Clarendon Counties were combined to form Old Sumter District. The court functions of Salem County were transferred to Sumter. In later years the desire of residents to revive old Salem County led to the formation of Lee County which was named in honor of General Robert E. Lee. Territory was then cut from Kershaw, Darlington, and Sumter Counties to form present day Lee County.
Liberty Free Will Baptist Church - Take 521 South, to the other side of Manning, going toward Greelyville. Turn right onto Bloomville Road (Route 48) at the convenience store selling Exxon gasoline. Turn left onto Route 262. At the junction of Route 211, turn left. The church is on the left hand side of the road. (This was the church of my paternal grandparents. I attended this church on many, many Sundays when I was a little girl, spending time with my grandmother, Frankie Richburg Ridgeway.)
Little River emptied into the Santee River.
Lodebar - Built on the east side of Home Branch, which is now known as Cowpens, Lodebar began as a Methodist camp-meeting ground during the 1800s. Lodebar Academy was incorportated by 1817 and the village of Lodebar was a thriving community. The post office was established in 1844. In 1856 the Lodebar Methodist Church combined with Rembert's Methodist and Clark's Methodist to form Bethel Methodist Church. The decline of Lodebar can be contributed to the building of the Oswego Station, which was serveral miles away, during the 1890s. The area was known as Lodebar from 1801 - 1856, as Bethel from 1856 - 1890, and then as Oswego from 1890 to the present.
Long Branch runs into Green Swamp.
Louellen - Horatio
Lynchburg - From Revolutionary War days, until about 1848, the small town now known as Lynchburg was called Willow Grove because of a thick grove of Willow trees growing there. In 1853, the Wilmington and Manchester Railroad buiilt about a mile from the Willow Grove Post Office and a new village sprung up there, near the Lynches River. Lynchburg has also been known as Murphy's Crossroads, English Crossroads, Five Forks, and Magnolia. In Lee County, Lynchburg was chartered as Lynchburg Community by the South Carolina Legislature on December 22, 1859. In 1905, Lynchburg was incorportated as a town.
Lynchburg Station - Magnolia (Lee County)
Manchester - Located on the King's Highway, the first record of the existence of Manchester is dated 1799, but the town is believed to have in existence for some while prior to this. Manchester was quite prosperious with freight boats arriving and leaving for Charleston. By 1848, trains operated between Manchester and Junction (now known as Kingville). A fire decimated the town on January 25, 1855, with one fifth of the town burned. The War Between the States brought Potter's troops into the town on April 11, 1865. Potter established his headquarters at Richard Singleton's plantation, while his troops began mass destructions of rails, homes, stores, homes, supplies, and anything else of value. During the Reconstruction era, many of the residents of Manchester lived a life of subsistance. When the Wilmington, Columbia, & Augusta Railroad built a new depot at Wedgefield, the residents of Manchester began to move away until the only reminder of the town is the historical marker, a few miles south of Wedgefield.
Mains Branch empties into the Wateree River.
Manning - Soon after Clarendon County was reestablished in 1855, Captain Joseph C. Burgess was chosen to locate the geographic center of the county. The exact center fell on the east side of Ox Swamp but enough suitable land was not available. It was decided to build the courthouse and village of Manning about a mile east of Ox Swamp. Clarendon's county seat, Manning, had its beginning on a tract of land that had originally been granted to George Statia on August 7, 1768. In 1791, he sold the land to William Ridgeway and the land remained in the Ridgeway family until 1834, when it was then sold to William Steadman. Steadman sold 50 acres of the property to Captain Joseph C. Burgess that same year. The town was named for John Lawrence Manning, who served as Governor of South Carolina from 1852-1854.
McBride's Corner is also known as Dabb's Crossroads. It is located at the intersection of 378 and 527 on the north side of Black River Swamp.
McCallum's Ferry crossed Lynches Creek between Lee and Darlington.
Meeting House Branch runs into Wyboo.
Middleton - Clarendon Station
Midway Presbyterian Church is at the junction of 527 and route 40, past Sardinia.
Mill Creek (Sumter County) runs into the Santee River.
Mill Creek (Lee County) runs into Lynches Creek.
Mott - Olanta
Mt. Clio - St. Charles (Lee County)
Murphey's Crossroads - See Lynchburg
Mush Swamp runs into Green Swamp.
Nasty Branch - See Bethel Baptist Church. Nasty Branch runs into Savannah Creek.
Nelson's Ferry - Becoming a public crossing over the Santee River in 1756, Nelson's Ferry is considered to be the oldest known ferry site in Old Sumter District. The site of the Battle of Nelson's Ferry on August 25, 1780, Captain Joseph Roberts and his soldiers were camped at General Thomas Sumter's home near Nelson's Ferry. Francis Marion and his men, after Gates' defeat at Camden, were burning boats up and down the Santee River in order to cut off connections between Camden and Charleston. From a deserter, Marion learned of Robert's camp. He, along with Major Hugh Harry, attacked the house. In a brief struggle, they killed or captured 23 of the British escort and Tory guides. They rescued the 150 Maryland prisoners, who, thinking the war was over, decided to continue to Charleston and freedom. After the battle, was the first time that Cornwallis had ever heard of Francis Marion. Marion's name would become very well-known to Cornwallis as the Revolutionary War continued
Newman's Ferry crossed Lynches Creek from Lee into Darlington County.
New Town Original Free Will Baptist Church can be found from Sumter, by taking 378 through Turbeville. About 4 miles out, there will be a dirt road on the right, just before you come to Rt. 18. The church is on the right side of this dirt road.
New Zion Methodist Church - Take 378 from Sumter, toward Turbeville. Turn right onto Route 37, heading toward New Zion. The cemetery is about one mile past town, on Route 37.
Oak Grove Methodist - Oak Grove is located on the Bloomville Road, a few miles out from Manning. Take 521, toward Greeleyville. Turn right, onto Route 48, which is at the convience store selling Exxon gas. The church and cemetery are located on the right hand side of the road.
Old Harmony Church Cemetery - Take 301, east out of Manning. Go past Trinity Methodist Church (Alcolu) on the left. Travel about 2 miles. You will see a two story house, a little ways back from the road. You must ask for permission to go to the cemetery.
Old River runs into the Wateree River.
Olive Grove Baptist Church - Olive Grove is located near Turbeville. From Sumter, drive on Route 378, to Turbeville, turn left onto Route 58. At the Y in the road, take the left. The church and cemetery may be found at the end of this road.
Oswego is about 1 and 1/2 miles north of Rocky Bluff Crossroads. See Lodebar and Bethel.
Ox Swamp - Going toward Kingstree from Manning, Ox Swamp is on the right at the edge of the town of Manning. During the Revolutionary War at Ox Swamp Crossing, Tarleton halted after the 26 mile race from Richburg's Mill Dam and found that Marion and 500 horsemen had left the road there to go into the swamp. Tarleton decided that it was time to give up the chase. Marion had eluded him and it is said that Tarleton exclaimed, "Come; on boys! Let's go back and fight the gamecock (meaning Thomas Sumter). But as for the Old Fox, the Devil himself could not catch him." The natives seized on Tarlelton's epithet and turned it into "Swamp; Fox", and fastened the nickname forever on their hero, Francis Marion. Ox Swamp empties into the Pocataligo.
Panola is in Clarendon County. To reach Panola, go from Sumter to Pinewood, along the Pinewood Road; make a left in Pinewood onto 261. Turn right at the next paved crossroad onto Panola Road. Panoloa is about seven or eight miles down.
Paroda Junction in Clarendon County was established by the Mr. Alderman who owned the sawmill in Alcolu. It was named for his sons: Paul, Robert, and David.
Paxville - Packsville
Pinckney Crossroads is the intersection of Raccon Road and Fish Road in the Stateburg area of Sumter County.
Pine Grove Methodist Church - Pine Grove is located in Turbeville.
Pinewood is located southwest of the city of Sumter and derived its name from the great number of pine trees in the area. Located about three miles from St. Mark's Church, Pinewood absorbed the old Fulton community. Pinewood was once known as Clarendon. (See Fulton.)
Pleasant Grove Community - Shiloh
Pocataligo Swamp enters the Black River on the west side, near the Williamsburg County line. The main stream of the Pocataligo reaches from Kings Highway (261 or the Old Charleston Road) near Manchester (Sumter County), to near the mouth of the Black River. The Pocotaligo River has its head waters in Sumter County from the streams: Green Swamp, Pocalla Creek, Nasty Branch, Brunson Swamp, Long Branch, and Hatchet Camp Branch. It flows across Clarendon County to join the Black River, flowing through Williamsburg County. Pocotaligo moves through miles of concealed silent swamps, wild and shrouded in secrets since the days of the Indians, its wildlife sequestered. A glimpse into its murky magnificence can be made from a board walk trail at a small park on the north edge of Manning. From the half-mile boardwalk can be seen native trees such as bald cypress, willow oak, red maple, black gum, bay, and water tupelo.
Potato Creek got its name from the fine quality of potatoes that were grown in the area. It drains into Wyboo.
Privateer is located about sixteen miles southeast of Stateburg and covers a considerable portion of the southwest part of Sumter County, but does not extend as far as the Wateree River. Privateer began to develop during the late 1700s. Bethel Baptist Church was established there. The town of Privateer developed around a crossroad just southeast of the church. By 1850, there was a post office there. A depot was built northeast of Bethel Church, but by 1925, with Sumter County having the best highway system in the state of South Carolina, the railroad slowly lost its importance, so the town of Privateer slowly disappeared.
Providence - During the early 1800s, thirty Irish settled around Providence Springs. The first Roman Catholic Church was established in the district in 1838. (Later, the church moved to Sumterville.) When a railroad station was built through Providence, and named Dalzell, the population shifted there. Hillcrest Middle School and Thomas Sumter Acadmey are located at Providence Crossroads, the site of the original town of Providence.
Pudding Swamp is in the Turbeville area and is formed by the flow of two large branches of water, Douglas Swamp and Mount Hope Swamp. Pudding Swamp got its name from a grist mill that way located there, which was named pudding for grinding corn which was used to make a pudding of Indian corn. Pudding Swamp separtes Clarendon and Williamsburg.
Pygott's Bridge was over Lynches Creek.
Rafting Creek is above Stateburg on 261, almost to the Kershaw County line. The name came from timber rafts which were floated down the creek. Rafting Creek runs into the Wateree River.
Rehobeth Cemetery - In Manning, turn beside the Piggly Wiggly onto the road that leads to Lake Marion. Before you reach the dam, turn left onto Church Branch Road. The cemetery is on down, on the right hand side, before you get to the Williamsburg County line.
Rembert is located three miles from Hagood and developed after the coming of the railroad. The name comes from nearby Rembert Church. The Community built up around Rembert Hall, the plantation home of the Remberts.
Republican Street - Present day Hampton Avenue in Sumter
Richardson Cemetery - From Rimini, take Route 76 south, going about 2 miles past the entrance to Elliot's Landing. The cemetery is on the right hand side of the road in a field. You will find a historical marker.
Rimini was named by a logging crew for a town on the seacoast of Italy. It was originally known as Yorkville
Rocky Bluff is at the intersection of 401 and 46. Rocky Bluff Swamp got its name from the high, rocky bands of rock along the stream.
Salem - Early on during the 1700s, herdsmen traveled throughout the Salem area. Prior to the turn of the century, the first permanent settlers arrived. They included John Anderson, Samuel Bradley, and James Bradley. A school was established in the Salem community on land donated by James Bradley in 1778. The Rev. Thomas Reese taught there until the Revolution touched the area, when he escaped to North Carolina. (After the war he returned and reopened the school.) Three of Salems's citizens were killed in their homes by a band of Tories who were from an area east of present day Bishopville. Later, the British commander, Lt. Colonel Tarleton arrived with his troops in Salem, disguised as Colonial soldiers. Tarleton introduced himself to James Bradley as Colonel Washington of the Colonial Army. Bradley was fooled and led Tarleton and his troops over Bradley's Crossing after which he was arrested by Tarleton and jailed in Camden. In 1792, Salem was formed from the eastern part of Claremont and Clarendon Counties. A six acre tract of land was given by David Reese and later deeded to Gershon Benbow. This tract is believed to have been the court house town of Salem. Tradition holds that the town was located just southeast of the Brick Church. A library was built at Salem Church at an unknown date. James McBride left money to the Salem Library in his will.
Salem Black River Church is on 527, about halfway between Dabbs Crossroads and Goodwill. (See Brick Church and Scottsville.)
Sammy Swamp - Sammy Swamp makes a loop around Paxville ( in Clarendon County) Sammy Swamp empties into the Pocotaligo River which empties into the Black River.
Santee - Local residents of Sumter and Clarendon Counties call Lake Marion and the land surrounding it, "Santee."
Santee River - The confluence of the Wateree and Congaree Rivers form the Santee River. The waters of the Santee encounter the counties of Calhoun, Sumter, Clarendon, Orangeburg, Williamsburg, Berkeley, Georgetown, and Charleston Counties.
Sardinia, in Clarendon County can be reached via 527 from I-95. Sardinia was named for the isle of Sardinia by Ely McFaddin.
Sardinia Presbyterian Cemetery - From Sumter, take Route 527, to Route 104, then turn right onto Route 222, at the Gable Cemetery, which is at the end of the road. This cemetery is also known as the Old McFaddin Cemetery.
St. Charles - Mt. Clio (Lee County)
St. Joseph's Academy - A school run by the Catholics of Sumter. It was established during the 1860s.
St. Lawrence Catholic Church and cemetery were across from present day Trinity Methodist Church on West Liberty Street in Sumter. In 1848, the Catholics of Sumter purchased the small Methodist Church building on West Liberty Street along with the block bounded on the east by Church Street and on the west by Salem Avenue and on the north by Republican Street (now Hampton Avenue). In 1849, the church was dedicated to St. Lawrence. The Catholic cemetery was moved to West Oakland Avenue, adjacent to the Sumter Cemetery. (St. Anne's Catholic Church, built in about 1909, replaced St. Lawrence.) The St. Lawrence Church property was sold to the city of Sumter.
St. Mark's Church - The first church of St. Mark's Parish was built around 1740, near Wright's Bluff on the north side of the Santee River. It was destroyed by the British. In 1809, the church was rebuilt in Williamsburg County. In 1820, a beautiful silver christening bowl was given to the church by Mrs. Mary Grimke Ward of Charleston. This church was destroyed by fire. In 1827 or 1828, the church was rebuilt again, but near Remini on the A.C.L. Railroad. In 1828, a communion service was given to the church by Charles Richardson of Clarendon. The spot where the wooden building was erected proved to be unhealthy, so it was moved higher up on the Charleston-Camden Road, but in a few years, this church was destroyed by a forest fire. The present church was built in the heart of the Sand Hills. Two acres were given for the church by Col. R.C. Richardson and Col. R.T. Manning and 15 acres for a parsonage which was built mainly by the contributions by other members ofthe congration. The present St. Marks Church was completed in 1856.
St. Matthew's Chapel of Providence - This chapel, associated with the Church of the Holy Cross, was located 200 yards west of old highway 521 and about one mile south of present day, Hillcrest Middle School, which is located at the junction of old 521 North and highway 441.
St. Paul - From Summerton, take 15 to 301 South. Turn left onto Route 102 until you reach Route 127, and then turn right. The community takes its name from the Methodist Church that used to be located there. The cemetery is on the right at the end of the first road.
St. Phillips Church - Located at Bradford Springs, this chapel was organized for the primary purpose of providing a place of worship for the summer residents who came to the High Hills of the Santee, seeking a more healthful climate during the hot months of summer. The nearest Episcopal church was sixteen miles away at Stateburg, so the small church was built in about 1840. St. Phillips Episcopal Church, which is now a "Chapel of Ease" is located in western Lee County.
Sander's Station - Hagood
Sandy Grove - On the 1900 Federal Census, Sandy Grove was a township east of Douglas Township (Turbeville), south of Motts (Olanta), just across the line from Sumter in Williamsburg County.
Savanna Creek drains into the Pocataligo River.
Scape Whore Swamp is also known as Scape O'er or Scape Ore Swamp. The story of how the swamp got its name is that a camp of British soldiers was billited on the bluff above the Black River, on the opposite Camp Branch Island. They were on the look out for Francis Marion, who was known to camp on the island at times. Three camp followers were with the British. When a group of American militia, led by a Mr. McCoy, attacked and defeated the redcoats, the women escaped into the swamp, never to be seen or heard from again.
Scarborough - Dalzell - See Providence
Scott's Lake in Clarendon County was settled as early as 1732-1737. It was named for the Scott family who lived there.
Scott's Tavern - The tavern at Manchester was known as Scott's between 1806 and 1811.
Scottsville - To find Scottsville, go down Highway 76, through Mayesville. When you come to the crossroads at 527, turn right. Go about 5 miles and you have found Scottsville at the intersection of 527 and 59, about 2 and 1/2 miles southeast of Mayesville. The old Eastern School is in Scottsville, as well as Brick Church. (It's not really a town, just a place.)
Seloc is also known as Coles Crossroads. Located in Clarendon County, near New Zion, Seloc is Coles spelled backward.
Shank's Creek runs into the Wateree River.
Shaw's Crossroads is at the intersection of Highway 76 and Brewington Road.
Sherwood School was located in the Eastern part of Sumter County (Shiloh) and was built in 1935. It was located on Highway 53, which is Narrow Paved Road. Sherwood School became part of Sumter School District #2, when the district was formed during the 1950s. Its last class graduated in 1955, and after that the high school students graduated from Mayewood High School (now a middle school). The original building burned but the original gym and a flagpole given by the class of 1950 are still on the site. Roy Hudgens Academy now occupies the grounds of the old Sherwood School. Some who served as principals of Sherwood were: Ralph Myers, Thomas Truluck, and Leslie Gibbons.
Shiloh - Pleasant Grove
Shiloh Baptist Church - Present day First Baptist Church.
Shot Pouch Creek runs
into Green Swamp. Shot Pouch can be easily seen from
Guignard Drive in Sumter, at Stanley Welch's clothing store.
Sibley - The
post office of Sibley, in Sumter County was opened in 1898 and closed
in 1904. The post office was located on the Northwestern Railroad whose
tracks began in Wilson (Clarendon County) and continued to Sumter and
on to Camden (Kershaw County). The tracks for the railroad were removed
in 1935. Sibley was located in the area where the Super Walmart, Lowes,
and Gateway Plaza Shopping Center are currently located.
Simmon's Ferry - See Brisbane's Ferry
Singleton's Crossroads - Bishopville
Silver is located on Highway 15 south between Sumter and Summerton in Clarendon County. Briggs Nursing home is located in Silver.
Smithville - Spring Hill (Lee County)
Southern Methodist Church (Turbeville) is located at Pine Grove Methodist Church Cemetery. A dirt road divides the two cemeteries.
Sparrow Swamp is in Lee County.
Spivey's Ferry crossed Lynches Creek.
Spoonville is a community on Old Manning Road. From Sumter, take 15 South. Turn left at the Shrine Club, which puts you on Old Manning Road. Spoonville is approximately three miles down Old Manning Road.
Steven Jones Bridge crosses Lynches Creek between Lee and Darlington Counties.
Summerton - Wright's Bluff
Sumter Cemetery is located on West Oakland Avenue. It's "behind" the Sumter County Fairgrounds which are on Liberty Street. Oakland Avenue begins at the foot of the overhead bridge on South Main Street, crosses a number of streets and roads, including Guignard and Pinewood Road and ends at Wedgefield Road.
Sumter County - Originally, Sumter County had an area of 1,672 miles, but that was reduced to 681 square miles due to the formation of Clarendon County in 1855, and then Lee County in 1902. The natural boundaries on the east of Sumter County are Scape 'Ore Creek, Black River, and Lynches River, and on the west are the Wateree and Santee, two sections of the same river system. Located in the heart of South Carolina, Sumter is 44 miles southeast of Columbia, 110 miles northwest of Charleston, 90 miles west of Myrtle Beach, and 145 miles southeast of Greenville, South Carolina. New York is 675 miles north and Sumter is 2,780 miles from San Francisco, California. Sumter County is encircled by Interstate highways I-95, I-20, I-77, and I-26. Sumter County is located on a latitude of 34.0 N.
Sumter County Museum - The musuem is 122 is located at North Washington Street and resides in the Williams Brice home, circa 1845. The museum maintains period rooms to display exhibits concerning the early history of Sumter County. Special exhibits are also on display throughout the year. Not to be missed are the formal gardens, children's period room, outbuildings, the 1930s watch repair shop, quaint country store, war memorial room, and vintage clothing and textile galleries. Hours are Tuesday through Friday 10:00 am to 5:00 pm, Saturday and Sunday 2:00 to 5:00 pm.
Sumter Gallery of Art - You will find the art gallery at 421 North Main Street. Formely the home of Elizabeth White, Sumter's most well-known artist, the house is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Sumter Institute - Located near a corner of Calhoun and Washington Streets the Sumter Female Institute was an outstanding school established in 1867.
Sumter Opera House - Located at 21 North Main Street, an opera house was first built on the site in 1872 but destroyed by fire in 1892. It was a wooden structure which housed a town hall and market place. The present building, listed on the NRHP, was constructed in 1893 in the Richard Romanesque style and features a 100 foot tall four-faced tower with clock. It is cited as one of the most beautiful Opera Houses in South Carolina. Many Sumerites can recall the years the Opera House was the Sumter Theater. (I spent many a happy Saturday afternoon with my younger brother in the Sumter Theater, while my mother shopped in downtown Sumter during the 1960s.)
Swan Lake Iris Gardens - is located on West Liberty Street in Sumter. The 45-acre Swan Lake is the only lake in the world home to all 8 species of swans. Ancient oaks and giant cypress trees shade the paths of 150 acres of gardens.
Sweet Creek runs into the Wateree River.
Swift Creek Church - Mt. Pisgah , Pisgah
Swinton is near the intersection of Brewington Road and Black River Road.
Tavern Creek emptied into the Santee River.
Taw Caw Branch drains into Little River.
Taw Caw Swamp Baptist Cemetery - In Summerton, take 301. The cemetery is located behind the Clarendon Gas Company. There is a gate on the left hand side of the building.
Taylor's Branch drains into Black River.
Taylor's Swamp - Meeting House Branch or Swamp - site of Brick Church
Tearcoat Swamp - Going out of Route 50, the site of the Battle of Tearcoat is about 3/4 of a mile on the left past I-95, toward the Sumter County line. This battle took place on October 25, 1780. General Marion had heard that Colonel Samuel Lynes had moved his men from Nelson's Ferry to Tearcoat Swamp. Marion was afraid that there were Tory spies in his camp so he did not tell his men his plans. On October 24, he scouted a Tory camp and at midnight October 25, he attacked, killing three, rounding 14, capturing 23, along with much needed arms and supplies. There are two stories of how Tearcoat got its name: 1 - A hunter tore his coat there on the brambles and bushes while hunting 2 - Someone was given a coat of tar there. Tearcoat Swamp runs into the Black River.
Trinity Methodist Church - Traveling on 521 South turn left if you are coming from Sumter, right if coming from Manning, onto 301. You will find the church on the right hand side of the road.
Turbeville - Puddin' Swamp, Douglas Township
Turbeville Baptist Church is located one block off of Route 378 in Turbeville, across from the school
Turkey Creek in Lee County drains into Lynches River.
Turkey Creek in Sumter County drains into the Pocataligo. Turkey Creek can easily be seen on 521 South in Sumter County. The Battle of Dingle's Mill took place there.
Union Methodist Church - Take 521 South out of Manning, going toward Greelyville. Turn left onto Route 103. You can see the church from 521. This area is known as Wilson or Wilson's Mill.
Wedgefield in Sumter County was named from the fact that it forms a wedge-like approach to the High Hills of the Santee. Wedgefield is located on 261, between Stateburg and Pinewood.
Welch Cemetery is located on the right hand side of 378 about 5 miles on the other side of Turbeville from Sumter.
White's Pond Crossroads is located at the intersection of 15 North and Brewington Road in Sumter County.
White Family Cemetery - Take 521 from Manning toward Greelyville. Turn right onto Bloomville Road. (There is a convenience store located where you need to turn. It sells Exxon gas.) Continue on past Oak Grove Methodist Church about 3 or 4 miles. Be careful not to miss downtown Bloomville. A few miles past Bloomville, there will be a Pentecostal Church on the left hand side of the road. (The old church is on the right hand side, across from the newer church.) The next dwellings that can be seen are mobile homes. Look for a mobile home and a house on the right. Turn down the dirt road there. Go down this road until it ends. There will be a fork, but either direction leads to the cemetery.
Willow Grove - Lynchburg (Lee County)
Wisacky is the
intersection of 341
& 527 in Lee County. It was first named Crane's
Crossroads and then in 1813, the name was changed to Cooterborough
because it was a favorite gathering place for tipplers, many of whom
had to crawl home like cooters (turtles). When Robert M. Cooper, Sr.
named the place, he spelled it Wisackee.He was much irritated that a
clerk in Washington was tired of all the Indian names coming out of
the South and changed it! See Cootersborough. (The information
about the naming of Wisacky came from Robert Cooper Manning, Jr.
great great nephew of of Robert M Cooper, Sr. ) According
to the book "Red Carolinas," Chief Wisaky was chief of the
Kudapaw Indian tribe, a sub-tribe of the Waxhaw Indians (located near
Lancaster, S.C). The Waxhaws are a Souian tribe, who speak a
Souian dialect, not like the Cherokee, who are of Algonquion
dialect. According to the Souix's (northern plains- Dakotas &
Canada) oral history, a band of the tribe migrated to the southeast
coast, which would explain the Souian dialect of the Waxhaw of South
Carolina. (The Santee tribe was also a band of the Sioux from the
Northern Plains.) (The information
about Chief Wisaky came from Brian Pate who grew up near Maysville, just over the Sumter/Lee county line. )
Wright's Bluff - Summerton (Clarendon County) - At the Battle of Wright's Bluff, General Thomas Sumter tried unsuccessfully to overpower the British fort at Wright's Bluff. Sumter had captured 66 prisoners and badly needed stores. He was supposed to receive some stores at a point on the river bank, just above Wright's Bluff, but a turncoat river pilot landed the stores within the reach of the British, who of course seized them. After unsuccessfully attacking the British encampment, Sumter took his men off to the High Hills of the Santee.
Wright's Ferry - Wright's Ferry was a public crossing over the Santee River by 1766.
Wyboo - At the Battle of Wyboo, two British officers, Colonel Watson and Colonel Doyle, had set out to crush Marion and his force of 500 patriots. In Wyboo Swamp, Marion sprung an ambush which completely dispersed the enemy. Gavin James, a private of enormous size in Marion's ranks, distinguished himself by holding a causeway single handedly against a British party. The Wyboo Creek area of Lake Marion is a place where many locals now have lake homes. Turn by the Piggly Wiggy in Manning and drive down this road toward Lake Marion. When you cross the causeway, and see water on both sides of the road, look off to your right. That's Wyboo.
Yorkville - Rimini