Midlothianshire Reference Information
The following records may be obtained by visiting the Edinburgh Room. Information courtesy of Familia.
Birth, Death and Marriage Records
- Registrar General's Indexes from 1837 (microform)
- Registrar General for Scotland's Computerised Index from 1855
- Pigot, J. & Co. New Commercial Directory of Scotland for 1825-6. (SC)
- Slater, I. Royal national commercial directory and topography of Scotland, 1852, 1860, 1867, 1889, 1878, 1915, 1893. (SC)
- County Directory of Scotland: 1862, 1868, 1875, 1878, 1882-89, 1893-96, 1912. (SC)
- MacDonald's Scottish Directory: 1915, 1920-21, 1923-24, 1931-1974 (some gaps). (SC)
- Border Almanac: 1877-1882, 1896-1906, 1911-1918. (SC)
- Bute County Directory: 1907/8, 1916-1932. (SC)
- Registers of Fife & Kinross: 1829-1876. (SC)
- Inverness County Directory: 1893/94, 1902/3, 1916/17, 1919/20-1940. (SC)
- Leslie's Directory: Perth and Perthshire: 1889-1940. (SC)
City and Town Directories
- Aberdeen Post Office Directory: 1864/5, 1874/5, 1893/4, 1902/3, 1907/8-1916/17, 1919/20-1924/5, 1926/7-1941/2, 1943, 1946/7-1947/8, 1949/50, 1955/6, 1957/8-1963/4, 1966/67, 1969/70
- Ayr Post Office General and trades directory: 1907-1908-1916, 1930/31, 1934/35-37
- Dundee Directory: 1890-1974
- Glasgow Post Office Directory: 1846-1879
- Kelly's Directory of Glasgow: 1937-1973
- Post Office Greenock Directory: 1893/94, 1902/3, 1907-1916, 1930/31, 1953, 1957, 1966-1976
- Paisley Directory: 1902/03, 1907-1916, 1924, 1929, 1931, 1934/35, 1937/38 All above in
- Edinburgh Directory: 1773/4-1974/5 (includes Leith); Portobello Directory: 1836, 1896/7-1914/5;
- A Directory of Edinburgh 1752, compiled by J. Gilhooley
- Edinburgh area 1940 to date (Edinburgh Room)
- 1832, 1834, 1856/7-1869, 1873/4, 1877/78, 1880/81 to date.
- Canongate 1854/55
- Also Valuation Rolls, Edinburgh 1914 to date
- Leith 1833, 1835
- Portobello 1900-1904, 1906-1914
- 'A political analysis of voters in the first municipal district of Edinburgh with their religious profession and police assessment'. 1840
- 'List of voters in the city of Edinburgh, who voted for Mr Charles Cowan, M.P.'. 1848.
- 'Street list of electors of the City of Edinburgh 1854'
International IGI - Index
- 1992 microfiche edition. Whole of UK.
- Scottish fiche in Scottish Department; rest of UK in Reference Library
- Index to parishes covered by surveys of monumental inscriptions in Scotland outside of Edinburgh
- Microfilm copies of registers for the following areas are held:
Ayrshire, Borders, Caithness, Clackmannanshire, Dumfries & Galloway, Fife, Kinross-shire, Lothians (including Edinburgh), Nairn, Orkney, Ross & Cromarty, Shetland, Stirlingshire, Sutherland. Inverness-shire is on order.
- Index to Old Parish Registers for Scotland on microfiche
- The Scottish Genealogist. 1954 to date
- Scottish Local History. 1983 to date
- Scottish Record Society publications
- Scottish Dept: c.1300 individual family histories; Scottish law list and Scottish Law Directory (1863-1963 and 1917 to present)
- Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae (list of Church of Scotland ministers)
- MIs for several burial grounds
The following records may be obtained by visiting the Midlothian Council Library. Information courtesy of Familia.Births, Deaths and Marriages
- Registrar General's Indexes from 1837 (microform), or Registrar General for Scotland's
- Computerised Index from 1855.
- 1841-1891 Midlothian Pre-1975 Local Government Reorganisation at Local Studies, 2 Clerk Street, Loanhead Borthwick; Carrington; Cockpen; Colinton (now Edinburgh); Cramond (now Edinburgh); Cranston; Crichton; Currie (now Edinburgh); Dalkeith; Duddington/Portobello (now Edinburgh); Fala & Soutra; Glencorse (Glencross); Heriot (now Borders); Humbie (now East Lothian); Inveresk (now East Lothian); Kirknewton/East Calder (now West Lothian); Newbattle; Newton; Penicuik; Ratho (now Edinburgh); Stow (now Borders); Temple; West Calder (now West Lothian)
- A name index on computer is available for the 1851 census for those parishes which remain in Midlothian. Work is being done on 1861.
- Main run. Post Office Directories: Edinburgh from 1827 with County Directories by town/village from 1833 included. Small gaps until 1845-46, then 1854, 1864, 1903-04 (Midlothian only). Fair coverage 1921-1975
City and Town Directories
- Dalkeith and District directories, 1871, 1891, 1915
- See above for Directories within Edinburgh Post Office Directories
- Edinburgh Yellow Pages from 1986, other from 1992
Electoral registers and polls books
- Electoral Registers: 1920, 1931-32. Intermittent and partial 1937-1974. Virtually complete 1974 to date
International Genealogical Index (IGI)
- IGI. 1984, microfiche - all Scotland. Local Studies, Loanhead
- 1851 census name index for parishes still in Midlothian at present (Borthwick, Carrington, Cockpen, Cranston, Crichton, Dalkeith, Fala & Soutra, Glencorse, Lasswade, Newbattle, Newton, Penicuik, Temple)
- 1861 in process of compilation
- Indexes to monumental inscriptions of most churchyards.
- Old Parish Registers on microfilm (where surviving):
Borthwick; Carrington; Cockpen; Cranston; Crichton; Currie (now Edinburgh; Dalkeith; Fala & Soutra; Glencorse (Glencross); Heriot (now Borders); Humbie (now East Lothian); Inveresk (now East Lothian); Lasswade; Liberton (now Edinburgh); Newbattle; Newton; Penicuik; Stow (now Borders); Temple
- Indexes to the OPR Births & Marriages, Scotland to 1854.
- 1984 IGI Index (incomplete but extends to 1874)
Periodicals (excl. newspapers)
- The Scottish Genealogist (Scottish Genealogy Society)
- Local Authority archives: the records of the former Burghs of Bonnyrigg and Lasswade, Dalkeith, Loanhead and Penicuik and the former District Councils of Galawater, Lasswade, Newbattle and Penicuik: School Log Books covering most of Midlothian schools from the late 19th to mid 20th Century and other School Board and Education Committee records. Private archives include family papers as well as records of local organisations and institutions.
- Valuation Rolls 1855 to beginning of Council Tax
- Map collection
- Local photograph and postcard collection
- Local newspapers on microfilm
© 2001. The Midlothianshire, ScotlandGenWeb Project