Peebles Railway, a line of railway from the town of Peebles near the
centre of Peebles-shire, to a junction with the North British railway at
the Eskbank station, in the south-western vicinity of Dalkeith in Edinburghshire.
It was authorized by parliament in July 1853; and was commenced to be formed
in August of that year, and opened for traffic in the end of June 1855.
It is a single line, with the narrow gauge. The act of parliament
for it cost only about £1,000; the land for it was nearly all obtained
at agricultural prices; and the total cost of its construction, including
all expenses, was about £4,500 per mile. Its length is 19 miles;
and the length of the part of the north British which connects it with
Edinburgh is 8 miles,--making a total distance from Peebles to Edinburgh
of 27 miles. The line runs northward, up Eddlestone-water, from Peebles
to the boundary between Peebles-shire and Edinburghshire; and it runs north-north-eastward
down the right side of the basin of the North Esk, from the boundary between
Peebles-shire and Edinburghshire to the junction with the North British.
The stations on it are Eddlestone, at 5 miles from Peebles; Leadburn, at
10 miles; Penicuick, at 12 miles; Roslin, at 15 miles; Hawthornden, at
16 miles; and Bonnyrig, at 18 miles. Coaches run in connexion with
it, from the Peebles terminus to Innerleithen, and from the Leadburn station
to Romano-bridge, Broughton, and West-Linton.