Search billions of records on

How To's and Frequently Asked Questions



  • How to submit information to this web site
  • How to research records for those who served in the Civil War
  • What are Regiments, Units, Corps etc.?
  • How do I get a FREE marker for my Confederate Veteran?
  • How to tell the difference between and union stone and a Confederate stone.
  • Hints on how to locate your Confederate soldier in a National Cemetery
  • How can I get a Memorial Service for my Confederate Veteran?
  • Do I need to ask permission to use information that I find on this web site?




    2. Simply send us an email to The information that we are looking for is: (you may cut and paste this into the email and then copy your own info into it)

    Buried Where?
    Father, mother, siblings with dates
    Married to?
    Unit Served in?
    Any information that you think would be helpful to other researchers

    [Back to top]


    Anyone interested in a soldier who served in the Civil War needs to obtain that soldiers Compiled Service Records, either from the state Archives where he served or the National Archives in Washington, DC. For Pickens men I would suggest the South Carolina State Archives. Unless you go there in person this will take some weeks, the link to the SC Archives web site for anyone interested is Submitted by: Jay K Griffin, Fayetteville, GA

    The SC Dept. of Archives and History (803-896-6100) will be most happy to check their records with simply a name. Other information like unit of service or vital statistics is helpful but not essential. Area of residence usually is very helpful to the researchers if the name of your ancestor is a common one. An abstract of service record is provided at no cost. Hold time varies but allow about three weeks. A muster roll can be obtained after the abstract. That report will advise you how much a copy of the individual's muster roll will cost. Sometime that record could provide a little more info. than the basic abstract. Cost of a basic muster would be $5. If the cost is more then probably there were extenuating circumstances i.e. hospitalization, imprisonment, etc. The next step to identifying battles fought and unit operations can also be obtained from the Archives.

    The process requires more patience than information. Hope enough information is provided for guidance.


    You can get them from the Probate Court Office of the county of enlistment or the SC Archives. The veteran was eligible for a pension and after death his widow could apply for a Widows' Pension.

    Submitted By: Linda Skelton

    [Back to top]


    This is the template used by the Army of Northern Virginia and many Southern Armies. Remember the south was about individual liberty, so nothing is a hard fast rule.

    Army - the largest unit commanded by an individual commander in the field. Two of the best known are Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia and the Army of Tennessee.

    The army consisted of two or more Corps or on rare occasions Wings - Corps are usually named for the commander - two of the most famous, Longstreet's Corps and Jackson's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia. A Corps normally consists of Divisions.

    Divisions - two or more Brigades - usually named for the commander - Wilcox's Division, Hill or Jackson's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia. A Division normally consists of two or more Brigades. The Division is normally commanded by a Major General.

    Brigades - two or more regiments - usually named for the commander - McGowan's Brigade, Wilcox's Division, Jackson or Hill's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia - A Brigade normally consists of two or more regiments and battalions - Orr's First South Carolina Rifles, McGowan's Brigade, Wilcox's Division, Jackson or Hill's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia. A Brigade consists of two or more regiments and is commanded by a Brigadier General

    Regiments - normally consists of 10 companies, although other configurations were used especially early in the war - The Regiment is command by a Colonel, the company by a Captain.

    Legions - were a popular unit early in the war and consisted of Infantry, Cavalry, and Artillery. Many were broken up early in the war. The Hampton Legion Infantry, is commonly known as The Hampton Legion and served with Jenkins' Brigade long after the cavalry units had gone to the Second South Carolina Cavalry and the artillery was detached. Holcombe's Legion lasted longer with its cavalry component but without artillery.

    Cavalry generally followed a similar system of organization.

    The Artillery had a much more varied organizational chart. This chart depended on the location of the unit, the date in question, and how the unit was used by the commanding general. Submitted by Steve Batson

    [Back to top]


    The Veterans Administration will provide, without charge, a marker for your Confederate veteran ancestor. However you must apply for the marker using VA Form 40-1330. You may choose either an upright granite or marble head niche, or a flat granite or marble stone. (Click here for photos of Confederate Soldier Stones)

    When burial or memorialization is in a national, post, or State veterans’ cemetery a headstone or marker will be ordered by the cemetery officials based on inscription information provided by the next of kin.

    When burial is in a private cemetery, VA Form 40-1330, Application for Standard Government Headstone or Marker for Installation in a Private or State Veterans’ Cemetery, must be submitted by the next of kin, funeral director or cemetery representative, along with a copy of the veteran’s military discharge documents, to request a Government-provided headstone or marker This form is available HERE; however, it may not be filled out and submitted electronically or by fax.

    VA Form 40-1330, Application for Standard Government Headstone or Marker for Installation in a Private or State Veterans’ Cemetery an additional application information may be obtained at any VA national cemetery or regional office by calling 1-800-827-1000. This form is available HERE; however, it may not be filled out and submitted electronically or by fax.

    All completed applications should be mailed to:

    Memorial Programs Service (403)
    Department of Veterans Affairs
    810 Vermont Avenue, NW
    Washington, DC 20420-0001

    The applicant may be someone with knowledge of the veteran and must certify the grave is unmarked or marked inappropriately (such as errors in the marker, damage to the marker, or marker deterioration which would make it difficult to identify the person in the grave) and a government headstone or marker is preferred to a privately purchased headstone or marker. A grave is considered marked if the marker displays the veteran's name and date of birth and/or death, even though his military service is not shown. (Note, some people consider that a grave is NOT properly marked if his military info is not there) Service prior to World War I requires detailed documentation to prove eligibility such as, muster rolls, extracts from State files, military or State organization where served, pension or land warrants, etc. DO NOT SEND ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS!

    Any Confederate veteran, except those dishonorably discharged, are eligible. Enclosing a copy of the veteran’s proof of service can expedite processing of your application. Cemetery staff in national, military post or base cemeteries are responsible for setting the headstone or marker at no cost to the applicant. Some State veterans’ cemeteries may charge the applicant a nominal fee for setting a Government-provided headstone or marker.

    Arrangements for setting a Government-provided headstone or marker in a private cemetery is the applicant’s responsibility and all placement costs are at private expense. The marker will be shipped, freight prepaid, to you. Any cost after the marker is delivered must be paid by you.

    Contact a local funeral home and arrange with them to have the marker shipped directly to the funeral home. There must be someone available 24 hours per day at the receiving location and a funeral home meets this requirement. Most local funeral homes are happy to assist with this need. You can pick up the marker from the funeral home and install at your convenience. For more info click here


    Union stones are round at the top, Confederate stones come to a peak like the roof of a house. Confederate stones, provided by the government, or those few found in national cemeteries, all meet certain specifications. Confederates were considered traitors. They could not be buried in the "holy" ground of union and the few that are found in national cemeteries had to be distinguished in some way. Those at Arlington are at the very back. Confederate stones point up to heaven, to the place confederates can never go, or so said the vets of the union army. That's good to know if you are ever hunting a Confederate grave in a national cemetery, start at the back and look for the arrow.

    [Back to top]  


    Any Sons of Confederate Veterans member or United Daughter of the Confederacy would most happy to assist you. Veterans Affairs Officers are also helpful. A formal memorial service should be held after a marker is placed to give due tribute to a veteran. This is a simple process. Just contact your local United Daughters of the Confederacy® OR Sons of Confederate Veterans - South Carolina Division. They should be able to set something up for you!

    [Back to top]


    No. However, the information should not be used for commercial purposes, and should not be sold, period, EVER. And do be careful, I do throw in UNDOCUMENTED and UNPROVEN information for those of you who are looking to make a quick buck. ONLY the biography information on the surname pages are free to copy from FOR YOUR OWN RECORDS, ie: the Orrs rifles, Prison records, and Dead records, all have mistakes in them, on purpose to keep people from stealing. If you find your surname info, then feel free to copy all you want :)

    And for those who like to STEAL copyrighted information: You may link to these pages, but using my work or the work of others who have donated without our permission on your own page is breaking this copyright. Doing so will cost you $5,000.00. Screen captures *are* permissible evidence. (And I have a VERY big retainer on file with my attorney, for anyone who wants to test me)


    No, BUT if you will send me the link, I will be sure and add it! Sometimes the webmaster will submit the info to be used here. AGAIN, if its NOT your work, then just send me a link :)

  • [WBTS in South Carolina] [Pickens County GenWeb] [WBTS Links] [WBTS Books]
    Submit Your Info] [How to's & FAQ's] [Biographies of Soldiers]
    Graphics By Shawna
    ©1998, 1999, 2000 Traci Parsons-Holder and Dawn W. Cabe All rights reserved worldwide.
    In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, material may be freely used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material, AND permission is obtained from the contributor of the file. These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for non-commercial purposes, MUST obtain the written consent of the contributor, OR the legal representative of the submitter, and contact us with proof of this consent.