|ALL Material on This Site and RootsWeb is FREE||Ancestry.com is a subscription site|
Above, the completed DeKalb Post Office about 1908. Below 1905 construction photographs. The photos are linen backed and not all the exact same size. This building was on the corner of First Street and Lincoln Highway.
According to the Images of America; DeKalb, book by Jo Fredell Higgins (Arcadia 2004), this was the post office from 1906 to 1960. Charles W. Gindele Company of Chicago was awarded the contract on March 28, 1905. It cost $65,000 when completed in 1906. In 1995 it was torn down for... a parking lot.
|June 3, 1905 Looking N. E. The building on the other corner of 1st is the Elks and Chronicle Building (B.P.O.E.) with a large poster advertising Uncle Toms Cabin. The larger image.||June 3, 1905 Looking S. W. towards the building next door and beyond. The larger image.|
|July 1, 1905 Looking S. E. [N. E.] with a view of stores on Lincoln Highway. The larger image.||July 1st, 1905 Looking N. W. The larger image.|
|August 4, 1905 Looking S. E. The larger image.||August 4, 1905 Looking N. W. The larger image.|
|Sept. 1, 1905 Looking N. W. The larger image.||Sept. 1, 1905 Looking S. E. The larger image.|
|Oct. 2, 1905, Looking S. E. The larger image.||Oct. 2, 1905 Looking N. W. The larger image.|
|November 1, 1905 Looking N. E. The larger image.||November 1, 1905 Looking S. W. The men in the utility pole are apparently moving the lines from the pole that is closer to the corner - that pole is gone in later view. The larger image.|
|Dec. 1, 1905 Looking N. E. The larger image.||A postcard mailed in 1949. The larger image.|