|ALL Material on This Site and RootsWeb is FREE||Ancestry.com is a subscription site|
|Above: a block of North Main Avenue in the Hyde Park section, labeled 1889. Photograph by Henry Frey of Hyde Park. The back states, "property of May Schmidt, rear 308 Hickory, Scranton, Pa.". On the side is a passage ticket agent. Morgan & Co. Drugs is on the corner. Next is J. G. Thomas, Gents Furnishings, Goods, Merchant, Tailor. The building to the left of the tallest is the Hyde Park Bank, later the West Side Bank (below). For a larger click here. In 1913 the bank moved into the drug store building.||Labeled "White Tavern," however, the building says A. M. Jeffords, Hyde Park Hotel. It is also alternately referred to as the Heerman Tavern. It was on the corner of Jackson Street and North Main Avenue in the Hyde Park Section. It was destroyed by fire in 1871. As the full mat (click image to see) indicates, this was later the site of the West Side Bank (after the location in the block at the left).|
|This is a picture of the West Side Bank, originally the Hyde Park Bank in the picture above, left. The name, Hyde Park Bank, was part of the building face, but it was either removed and a shallow West Side Bank put in its place, or the picture was altered. See the larger version (250kb). At the top, "Erected in 1873".||
From a Scranton Tribune book, "The City of Scranton and Vicinity and Their Resources" about 1894. Provided by Rudy Kunz.
|Saturday or Holiday Savings Club - West Side Bank. North Main Avenue and Jackson Street "Old Reliable Bank." Savings in the club were paid on demand, including 3% per annum, on December 19, 1914. This book was unused.|
|The Board of Trade building, July 1899. Close-up detail of signs (450kb).||The Board of Trade. This one is not as sharp a picture.||Moses Taylor Hospital.|
|Richards & Wirth, 326 Lackawanna Ave. Scranton. A building to the right of this view was also destroyed.||T. C. Nissley, 429 Wyoming Avenue. A dry goods or fancy goods store.||Kolb's Bread wagon dated 1910. A 1912 advertisement in the Scranton Board of Trade publication shows the baker at the intersection of Washington Ave. and Ash in Scranton.|
|Machler - La Fontaine & Co.; 711 W. Lackawanna Ave., May 1917. Dealers in Faultless Ranges, Furnaces and Boilers, as well as Cleveland Tires and Tubes. The 1922 directory lists Russell H. Machler, Wm. H. La Fontaine, Harold Machler.||
The window reversed.
|Left: Lackawanna Avenue from Washington Avenue, Northwest. The back of this photo is marked "1889".|
Return to the Carter and Kennedy Main Page
You are the 23844 visitor. Thanks for looking.