Material on This Site and RootsWeb is FREE
is a subscription site
Nicholson / Tunkhannock Viaduct, Nicholson, PA - 2
Great Lackawanna Bridge at Nicholson, Pa.
"An interesting collection of views of this immense structure
with additional views showing methods of construction."
J. E. Blain, Publisher, Thompson, Pa.
[Also known as the
Viaduct, the railroad bridge's construction was begun in May of 1912
it was dedicated on November 6, 1915.]
(Click images to enlarge)
of the Great Lackawanna Bridge at Nicholson, Pa. Nineteen-fifteen
view of the bridge from hill overlooking the village of Nicholson, Pa.
forms upon which the arches are built. These forms, if put together
upon the ground would span four average width city building lots.
tower at Eastern end of the bridge. This temporary structure is 169
high and supports a weight of 170 tons.
cut at Eastern end of the bridge. 365,000 cubic yards of solid rock
were removed at this point to avoid tunneling.
suspension bridge over Tunkhannock creek for use of workmen.
feet of narrow gauge railroad make possible the quick transportation of
all supplies needed in the construction of the bridge. 4 "dinky"
engines and 14 flat cars comprise the rolling stock of this miniature
trains waiting their turn at the concrete mixer. Each bucket holds two
cubic yards of concrete, and when filled, are drawn to the bridge and
elevated to the horizontal cables and then moved into position over the
"forms" and lowered. They are emptied from the bottom.
of four engines operating the "sky railroad." All signals are given
from "central" located at the foot of center tower. Up, Down,
Forward or Back by telephone to the
"direct connected" engineer, calls for the rapid and careful shifting
of the six levers as shown.
The Great Lackawanna Bridge, at
Nicholson, Pa. 2,375 feet long. 240 feet high.
Construction work was started on this bridge May, 1912, by Flickwir
& Bush Contractors. The first concrete was placed in January,
1913. An average force of 210 workmen has been constantly employed.
This immense structure, the largest reinforced concrete bridge in the
world, will be finished in August 1915.
One hundred and eighty-nine thousand barrels of Cement will be used in
mixing the concrete and would require one thousand and ninety-three
cars to haul it from the cement company's plant, and would make a train
about fourteen miles long. The building of this structure of concrete,
reinforced with steel will, for all time, stop adverse criticism of the
durability of concrete.
1. Reinforcing steel store house. 2. One of the temporary
homes of Italian workmen.
tower supporting cables of the "sky railroad." All construction
material and the employees are elevated at this point and carried along
cable to destination. This tower is 300 feet hight.
over Main Street, Nicholson, Pa. Some idea of the immensity of this
bridge may be gained by comparing the heighth of the two story house
with the top of the structure.
shows location of telephone "central." 3. Employees elevator. The car
will hold 20 men. 2. "Central." The operator controls 100 horse power.
4. "Clam shell" bucket moving crushed stone.
Last pier under
construction. About 20 feet of pier finished March 11, 1915. 92 feet
below surface this mass of concrete rests on solid bed rock. 2. "Clam
shell" bucket filling in excavation around the unfinished pier. A mass
of frozen quicksand is shown in the jaws of the bucket. 3. Mr. W. C.
Ritner, Superintendent of Construction. The little army under Mr.
Ritner's supervision is erecting a monument to twentieth century
progress as enduring as the Pyramids of Egypt. 4. The two extremes of
bridge construction. A forcible illustration of the meaning of the
words "temporary" and "permanent."
3. Office of Flickwir & Bush, Contractors. 4. One of 15
hoisting engines employed on the work.
The text and images on this page may by
saved for personal
research, but may not be published in any form, including copied to
web site, without specific
scans copyrighted by Susan
Carter White Pieroth 2007.
in Popular Mechanics
1915 Article in Railway
Susan Carter White
Return to the First
Return to the Carter
and Kennedy Main