Search billions of records on

JUNE 1989

Playing Detective Using Estate Records

Missing Since 1890, "Billy' Sturgis Turns Up

Rev. James Fowler And The Sandy River Church

Alexander Love--He Named York County

Indian Land Leases Found In Package Of Old Documents

Rock Hill's Electric Street Car

Revolutionary War Veterans In 1840

Carding Wool

J. J. O'Connell's Account Of Catholics In York County

Broad River Light Infantry, 1861

Alexander Haynes

A Short Chronology Of York County History

Silas Buckhannon v. John Campbell, Adm.

Gold Hill School

Phebe Harris Estate Papers

Flint Hill Baptist Church Membership Origins

The First Families Of York County

Harris Family Remove To Texas

Battle Of Lookout Mountain, 1863

Family Record Of The Ancestors Of Zadok D. Smith


Detectives often have only a few scraps of information from which to infer. In counties like York in the 18th century, we frequently have so few surviving records that we are thankful for any clue we can find about our ancestors. If no one else has done it for us, then we must play detective.

One source we like to refer to is the will books. All pre-Civil War York Co. wills have been transcribed and there are bound typescripts in the York County Library in Rock Hill and in the State Archives in Columbia. But most people did not leave wills to help us know their heirs. However, there are likely to be estate papers (the law also refers to these as "intestate papers") to examine. If the deceased owed money (and most of our ancestors did), then the estate had to be appraised and the creditors paid. An administrator of the estate was appointed and he made a report to the county. Sometimes the estate wasn't settled for many years but the administrator was required to return an account each year in which a transaction was made that affected the value of the estate. York County estates papers are filed by Case and File number. They have been microfilmed and copies of the microfilm may be either purchased from the State Archives or viewed at the York Co. Library in Rock Hill.

Let's look at one example of what we can find in estate papers:

John and Jane Duncan's estate papers are filed in Case 55, File 2467. The year was 1789 and John Barron was the administrator. While John Barron could be a neighbor, our first thought is that he was probably a son-in-law. That is our first assumption and we will look for futher evidence to substantiate our guess. The county-appointed appraisers were James Young, Archibald Barron and Thomas Duncan. Now to find something about the appraisers. They invariably are neighbors of the deceased and since John Barron was the administrator and Archibald Barron was an appraiser it seems best to next find something about Archibald Barron. The York Co. Library happens to have copies of Barron family records and it was not difficult to find that Archibald Barron (1734-1817) and Elizabeth Ingram (1735-1809) were the parents of John Barron (1763-1841), who married Jane Duncan. Our search is off to a good start!

The administrator reported that John and Jane Duncan's estate owed accounts to John Gebbie, Joseph Carroll, David Beard, Christopher McCarter, John Eakins, James Blair, William Berry, Matthew Bigger and William Watson. Probably these were all neighbors, or most of them were neighbors. If we would like to know where John and Jane Duncan lived that should be helpful. From the names we guess that they lived near the town of Yorkville and east toward the Catawba River but we need to check that further.

Then the detective has a stroke of luck. On one of the slips of paper among the loose notes is a receipt: "To Samuel Curry on his wife's account for a Legacy left to her by her Grandfather Patrick Duncan, deceased, 22.11.10 [22 pounds, 11 shillings and 10 pence]." We can be fairly certain that grandfather Patrick Duncan was the father of John Duncan and that Samuel Curry is the son-in-law of John Duncan. Jane (named for her mother) had a sister who married Samuel Curry.... Now, to see if we can find something on Samuel Curry....

Editor's Note: Another story in this issue, "Indian Land Leases Found in Package of Old Documents," is related to our exercise in playing detective. We invite our readers to share instances of their triumphs in locating hard-to-find information and to tell us how they put together isolated facts that other researchers had ignored or never pursued.

Our readers may be interested in knowing how to obtain copies of court records such as the Estate Papers mentioned earlier. If you have a large number of ancestors to research and can't get to the York County Library or Courthouse, it would probably be best to order microfilm from the South Carolina Department of Archives and History, P. O. Box 11,669, Capitol Station 29211. The price is $20 per reel. If you visit the archives the address is 1430 Senate Street, Columbia, S. C. Roll C1689 is the first one to buy. It has the index to Estate Records Books A, B, and C which cover the years 1787-18ll along with Will Book A, 1800-1813 (wills before 1800 are mixed in with the Estate Records Books entries). Or, if you want the wills only you can buy Roll C1695 and get the wills from Will Book A, 1800-1813 (same as on Roll C1689) and, in addition, get the wills that cover the years 1840-1862. Roll C1690 is for Estate Records Books D, E and F which cover the years 1814-1826.

For researchers with only one or two South Carolina ancestors to research the cheapest and easiest route is to let the State Archives do the work. The State Archives will check the index for you, one index check per letter, and will send a photocopy order form stating what is available. They also have a list of names of local researchers. Price lists are available for microfilm and for photocopying.


To the Editors of the Record:

Dear Sir: I have just been advised by a kinsman in the West that my uncle, "Billy" Sturgis, who mysteriously disappeared from his home near Crockett, Tenn., in either 1890 or 1891, and was never heard of again, although diligent inquiry was made for many years, and had been given up for many years as dead and almost forgotten by the family, has suddenly returned in the home of his people (those who are still living) at Crockett, Texas. I am advised of no particulars any more than the fact that he has returned home after an absence of more than 38 years. He had never been married at the time of his disappearance and was said to have been in very poor health at that time.

He is a son of the later Thomas W. and Margaret Shillinglaw Sturgis, natives of York County, but who removed to Houston County, Texas about the year 1882. He was born and reared near Neely's Creek Church, and is a close kinsman of the entire Shillinglaw family, the Hayes family, and is an uncle of J. B. Creighton and the children of the late Nelson Irby. I have no means of communicating with the entire family connection and I would appreciate it if you will get these facts together and publish a short news story in your paper. I refer you to W. H. Cowan, N. B. Williams and J. B. Creighton for authenticity. Cordially yours,

J. S. STURGIS, Chester, S. C. February 10, 1929 , (The Rock Hill Record, February 14, 1929, p. 1.)


James Fowler was born about 1742 in one of the Northeastern states and came to South Carolina before the Revolutionary War, settling near Turkey Creek, near the York and Chester County line. He was brought up a Presbyterian but upon his religious awakening he began to search the Scriptures for his own understanding. Along with two Rogers brothers they formulated their own system of religion. Hearing of a Baptist preacher some thirty miles away they sought him out to see if they agreed in theology. This preacher was probably Reverend Mulkey of Fairforest Baptist Church in Union County, the first Baptist church in the South Carolina upcountry. To Fowler's and the Rogers' happy surprise, they found they were in total agreement and were forthrightly baptized and admitted into communion with the church.

Fowler's interest in the Scriptures led him to be licensed by the Fairforest congregation that he might assist them in preaching the Gospel in the upcountry. As early as 1775 or 1776 he was preaching at Buffalo Church outside Blacksburg as well as other local churches.

At an associational meeting of the Congaree Association in 1776, a request was put forth that the Flat Rock Meeting House be constituted into a Baptist Church. This meeting house had been built above Turkey Creek in York County by a group of Baptists from North Carolina and Virginia who had settled along the Broad and Pacolet Rivers, Turkey Creek and Sandy River some thirty miles from the Fairforest Church. Since this meeting house was in the same vicinity as Fowler's home, we may surmise that he was instrumental in establishing this congregation. From time to time ministers from Fairforest, Buffalo and Little River were invited to come to preach to the people of Flat Rock Meeting House. Upon hearing the request, the Association formed a committee headed by Reverends Ralph Jones, Joseph Camp and Joseph Logan to meet with the Flat Rock Congregation. On December 23, 1776 the committee met with the congregation and assisted them in drawing up a church covenant upon which they were duly constituted as a church to be known as Sandy River Baptist Church.

An invitation was given for Mr. Fowler to be the pastor of the newly constituted church. That same day, Mr. Fowler's theology was examined and upon his acceptance by the committee, he was ordained with Reverend Ralph Jones delivering the sermon and Reverend Camp giving the charge.

Reverend Fowler's congregation consisted of the following:
From Turkey Creek: From Sandy River: From Pacolet River: Thickety Creek:
James Fowler
Samuel McBrayer
William McBrayer
Thomas Morris
Garret Morris
John Morris
Russell Rutledge
Elizabeth Rutledge
Winifred McMillion
Edward Henderson
Annie Henderson
Catherine Jenkins
William Roden
Sarah Kennedy
Samarian Taylor
Mary Allen
John Cole
Mary Cole
Samuel Lamb
Hannah Lamb
Moses Collins
Susannah Collins
Joseph Jolly
Mrs. Jolly

Reverend Fowler rose in prominence among the other Baptist churches and when the Bethel Association was formed in 1789 he was installed as its first moderator. He instituted a correspondence between the Separates of the Charleston Association and opened the way for a union between the two groups. Gradually the term "Separates" fell into disuse due to the labors of Reverend Fowler's work as a loving mediator.

The Flat Rock congregation, now called Sandy River, ceased to grow it was hoped. Its lack of growth was probably due to the Revolutionary War; a number of its members served and did not return from the battlefields. The strong influence of the Presbyterian Church cannot be overlooked as a possible factor in Sandy River's slow growth. In spite of Sandy River's small size, on May 20, 1787, it gave birth to a daughter--Pacolet Baptist Church (now called Skull Shoals). The church was formed by Reverend Fowler and Reverend Isaac Edwards and was built on a two acre lot donated by William Scison who had received the land as part of 400 acres granted to him in 1769, "including Scull Shoals."

The original church had the following members: John Cole, James Pettie, Samuel Lamb, William Spears, Ezekiel Stone, Richard Wood, Jr., Mary Cole, Judith Reed, Jane Stone, Hannah Lamb, John Reed, John Palmer, John Moorehead, Joseph Walker, Richard Wood, Sr., John Pauphum, Martha Pettie, Jane Wood, Susanah Bailey, and Mary Walker.

Because they had no full-time pastor, John Cole and John Reed were in charge of discipline until 1790 when Richard Wood was ordained.

(To be continued.)


Alexander Love, a Scotch-Irish Presbyterian of York County, Pennsylvania married Margaret Moore, daughter of Andrew and Rachel Moore, Quakers, on April 6, 1743. The exact date when the Loves came South is unknown but was sometime between 1760 and 1771.

The Loves settled on Fishing Creek about one and a half mile south of the present town of York. When the Loves arrived in the area there was no boundary line between North and South Carolina. The area Alexander Love first settled in was claimed by North Carolina but after the boundary line was drawn in 1772, Love found himself in an area known as the New Acquisition--an eleven-mile deep stretch of land west of the Catawba River which was awarded to South Carolina to make up for land lost east of the river by an error in an earlier survey.

When the Provisional Congress of South Carolina (November 1, 1775) was called to consider whether the colony should declare its independence from England, Alexander Love was one of the delegates. After the Revolution, when Craven County, South Carolina was laid out in nine districts, Alexander Love was a member of the Legislature. Love saw to it that his newly-created district was named for Pennsylvania's York County where he had grown up.

Love was a member and of the Bethesda Presbyterian Church and was buried there in March 1784, nine months before the county he named began its operation as a county. His tombstone reads: "Alexander Love died March -- 1784. Aged 66 years. A lover of Mankind, A friend to his Country."

Extracts, with the original spelling and punctuation retained, from Alexander Love's will (Book A, Pages 48-52, No. 27, Craven County, S.C.), dated March 20, 1781:

"....I give and bequeath unto my son Andrew all that tract or parcel of Land, surveyed by Francis Adams and which he now is in full possession of. Likewise I bequeath unto my son James, all that tract or parcel of land which he is now in possession, and which adjoins lands of Michael G. Garaty. Likewise I give & bequeath unto my son Alexander all that tract or parcel of land which he is now in possession of & which adjoins the lands devised to my son Andrew, and the lands devised to my son James likewise One Hundred Acres, of the tract whereon I now live, to be divided off on the side adjoining Samuel Curry's and Alexander Clark's land, Likewise I give & bequeath unto my son William all that tract or parcel of land, whereon I now live, Likewise I bequeath unto my sons Andrew, James, Alexander & William to be held in equal partnership by them, all that tract or parcel of land known by the name of the "Mines." Likewise I do bequeath unto my loving wife Margaret one negro wench named Dinah, during the time her natural life and then to devolve to my son Andrew....Likewise I do bequeath to my loving wife Margaret, one large bay paceing horse with a star in his face, also a saddle and all the plenishing & furniture in the be entirely divided between my sons, James, Alexander & William & my daughter Elizabeth (married Charles Miles) at such time & in such manner, as Margaret my wife shall think proper, and also Margaret my wife is to have her choice of any room in the house for her residence, during her life, as also my silver buckles, during her life, and at her decease, my buckles to devolve to my son Alexander, Likewise I bequeath my silver clasps to my son William, Likewise I bequeath my oldest sorral mare to my son Andrew, the remainder of my horse creatures, I bequeath to my son William, Likewise I bequeath to Margaret my wife her choice of two cows out of the whole flock....I bequeath unto my daughter Elizabeth (Miles) three cows & three heifers, three Ewes and three weathers. The remainder of my stock of cattle I bequeath to my sons James, Alexander & William, in equal parts, to be divided. Likewise I bequeath my Harrow, Handscrew & Cross-Cut Land to my four sons....

his  mark         ALEXANDER X LOVE {Seal}                               

(The will was witnessed by John Fergus, Jr., Robert Gabbie and Mary Carnahen. The following day, March 21, 1788, Alexander Love added to his list for his daughter, Elizabeth Miles, a slave woman named Millie, a pacing black horse, a new saddle, chest of drawers and one bed and furniture. To his daughter Margaret, who married John Sterling, he left a slave woman named Lucy, and after the death of Margaret the slave was to go to Margaret's daughter, Sarah.)


When the state of South Carolina made the Nation Ford Treaty with the Catawba Indians in 1840, one of the points of settlement was that the white leaseholders would be able to turn in their leases in exchange for state grants. When the fifteen-mile-square area was surveyed in 1841 there were 606 tracts of land. Only 128 leases (less than one-quarter of the total) were turned in. That means that 478 leases either could not be found at the time or were deliberately withheld from the state (the leaseholders were given state title if they could get neighbors to testify on their behalf). The State Archives has the 128 original leases returned in 1840. Some of the leases stayed in one family for fifty years or more; others have their backs crowded with signatures and dates showing a high rate of turnover from one leaseholder to the next.

Below is a copy of an old newspaper story that was not dated or identified in any fashion but has a mark of authenticity about it. The writer misinterpreted the whole lease process in a rather comical fashion. We print the account because it is interesting and also because the story ties to our story, "Playing Detective Work Using Estate Records," elsewhere in this issue. Note that Jane Barron was the niece of John Barron of the other article.

"Two original leases on tracts of land by white men and the Catawba Nation of Indians of South Carolina, both written in 1813, in the thirty eighth year of American independence, are among the interesting old documents in possession of J. E. See, of Little Rock, Ark. The papers were then property of his Grandmother Mrs. Jane E. See, who died on March 1, 1919, age 87. Mrs. See was born at York Co., S.C., Feb 25, 1832. Her maiden name was Jane Barron and she came to Pulaski Co. in 1856. One of the leases on approximately 216 acres of land, belonging to the Catawba Indians of York District of South Carolina, shows an endorsement, transferring the lease from the original lessee to John Barron, probably the uncle of Mrs. Jane E. See. This transfer is dated January 25, 1816. The documents are yellow with age and written in a beautiful hand, probably with a quill pen. In one of the transactions, the principals are the head men and chiefs of the Catawba Indians and Patrick Hamilton, the lessee, a citizen of York District of South Carolina. The land in question contained about 73 acres, the boundaries being indicated by marked trees and stakes. Hamilton leased the land for 99 years at $1 per year. Witnesses to the contract were four army officers, a general, a colonel, a major and a lieutenant none of whom could sign their names. Their marks were affixed to the paper. The document shows that in June 1813, the same year that Hamilton secured the lease from the Indians, he assigned over his rights to William Erwin for $292. This was a profit of $193. A second endorsement shows that Erwin assigned over his lease for another $325."

(The newspaper writer's major misinterpretation of the lease was in calling the Catawba head men "army officers." The titles were titles they awarded themselves. The Catawba chief in 1813 was either Gen. Jacob Scott or Gen. Jacob Ayres. After the Revolutionary War the head of the tribe chose to be called "General." Before the Revolution, the title used was "King.")


There are many stories about Rock Hill's electric streetcar that ran down Oakland Avenue from East Main Street downtown Rock Hill, past Winthrop College, and on to the Casino, back of Winthrop College. The City Street Railway (consisting of one streetcar pulled by two mules named "Leck" and Trik") was owned by the Land and Townsite Company. Here is what the Fort Mill Times, September 2, 1891, had to say about Rock Hill's pride and joy:

"If report is correct, they have a novel way of collecting street-car fare on the dummy line in Rock Hill. There are three kinds of tickets. The holder of the first-class ticket rides all the way under all circumstances, those who have second-class tickets must get out of the car and walk when a hill is reached, and the third-class man must not only walk but push the car also."


The United States Census of 1840 shows that in York District there were 26 living Revolutionary War veterans.

Pensioner Age Head of Household
Daniel Gilmore 76 Daniel Gilmore
Daniel Quinn 82 Daniel Quinn
J. B. Fulton 75 A. Fulton
John McElwee 75 John McElwee
John Barber 80 John Barber
Gilly Moss 76 Samuel Moss
Samuel Turner, Esq. 77 Samuel Turner, Esq.
William Carson 77 ------
James Campbell 86 James Campbell
James Brian, Sr. 80 James Brian, Sen.
Thomas Boggs 95 J. W.Jennings
John Starr 70 Mary Boggs
Robert Hannah 80 Eli More
Samuel McElhenny 81 Allen Robertson

[Editors Note: The Revolutionary War reached the Carolina upcountry in 1780. The Battle of Yorktown (Va.), the last battle of the war, was fought October 17, 1781. The 1840 Census, then, is 39 or 40 years after the veterans could possibly have participated in military action. Are the ages accurate? If so, John Starr was only 10 or 11 years of age when he fought. The 1840 was the first census taken after the United States began awarding pensions to Revolutionary War veterans under the Pension Act of 1832. No earlier censuses identified veterans. If any of our readers have copies of the pension papers of any Revolutionary veterans that they would like to share, we would appreciate receiving them.]


On August 2, 1860, Zadok Darby Smith, who operated a flour mill, announced in the Yorkville Enquirer that he was again carding wool for the public. His price was eight cents a pound or one-fourth of the wool.

To be sure that the wool was workable, Smith published instructions for his customers: "Wool must be thoroughly washed with soap. The grease in the wool when sheared must be worked off as it causes the cards to stick. Boiling water must not be used because it fulls the wool and makes it useless. Rolls cannot be made out of it."


"At Yorkville there was for many years but one Catholic man, Hugh McGinnis, who was advanced in years, and, though married, left no children; he was a pious man and died during the war. Jeremiah O'Leary, who married into the O'Hare family, was a good man, and died about 1850. He left many children, whom I instructed in the faith with great pains, and was fully encouraged by their mother, who was not a Catholic. I fear they have fallen away. They were all baptized. Thomas O'Farrell married a sister of Mrs. O'Leary, but he ceased to practice his religion, and neither he nor his numerous offspring are known as Catholics, which is to be regretted, because they are a respectable and industrious family of children. Father Joseph O'Connell attended this mission during the war; the faithful having died or removed to other places, but few remained, and it was scarcely attended at all for a long time until the appointment of Father Folchi, who remained some years and withdrew to the Jesuit house in California toward the close of 1877.

At this date Fort Mill is the principal station in York County. The family of my oldest brother reside here, and constitute a small congregation among themselves, under the care of a widowed mother, distinguished for piety and strength of character. Trial-Justice Michael O'Connell, the eldest of the family, was born in Donoughmore, County Cork, Ireland, in 1816. He emigrated to Columbia in 1852, where he dwelt, and had his children educated at St. Mary's College, until his house was burnt by Sherman's army in 1865. He then withdrew to Fort Mill with his family, and settled on a valuable and extensive farm. He was the father of twelve children, eight of whom survive. The oldest, Patrick Joseph, received a European education, and returning home after the war was elected to the Legislature for several years; he married Frances, the eldest daughter of the Bradshaw family, by whom he left one child, and died at his residence in Gaston County, in 1875, fortified with the holy sacraments. He was about thirty years old. The next son, Michael, graduated as doctor of medicine from the University of Pennsylvania, and practises [sic] his profession in the city of Philadelphia. The third son, Dennis Joseph, studied for the holy ministry, and after a preparatory course in Baltimore was sent by Archbishop Gibbons to the Propaganda for the diocese of Richmond. He was in the American College, under the presidency of Rt. Rev. Dr. Chatard, and was raised to the dignity of the priesthood in 1877, after having graduated with the first honors of his class. He is now stationed at the cathedral in Richmond. As Procurator he was delegated to receive the Pallium from His Holiness Pius IX, in 1878, for Archibishop Gibbons, a duty which he ably discharged. At this time he accompanies the papal delegate, Mons. Conroy, as his private secretary in his visits to the various sections of the Church in the United States and Canada.

Sister Jerome, the eldest daughter (Annie O'Connell), became a Sister of Mercy and has been fifteen years in the order. A temporary retirement was recommended for restoration of impaired health. The other children still live with their mother in the homestead. Trial-Justice O'Connell died in 1874, and received the last sacraments at the hands of his brother, Dr. Joseph; his remains were conveyed to Columbia, and now rest in the family burying ground. He was a man of strong faith, practical piety, devoted to frequent prayer, and brought up his children in the fear and knowledge of God; he was impartial and fair as a justice of the peace, and his decisions were always approved by popular commendation and the higher commendation of the bench." (Rev. J. J. O'Connell, Catholicity in the Carolinas and Georgia, ARS SACRA, Westminister, Maryland, 1964. A facsimile reprint of the Sadlier Edition, 1879.)

[Trial-Justice Michael O'Connell held office during the Reconstruction Era. Since former Confederate soldiers and officeholders under the Confederate government were disbarred from political participation, it can be assumed that Michael O'Connell, in spite of the loss of his home to Sherman's forces, was of Unionist sympathies. In the 1870 United States Census, Michael O'Connell headed household #447 in the Fort Mill district. He was listed as 50 years of age, a farmer owning real estate valued at $6,000, a personal estate of $1,000 and born in Ireland. The remainder of the household: Bridget, 45; Denis, 24; Michael, 20 (route agent for the Charlotte, Columbia and Augusta R.R.); Julia, 17; Johanna, 12 (the first child born in South Carolina); Josey (male), 8; Gassey (male), 6; M. Elizabeth, 3; Charles Sutton, 15, black, domestic servant; Martha Bynum, 18, black, domestic servant. In Household #448 was Howard O'Connell, 25, farmer, real estate valued at $4,000, personal estate valued at $1,000, who was born in Ireland.]


Officers: John S. Crosby, Capt; S. E. Carroll, 1st Lt.; Allen Crosby, 2nd Lt; S. A. Kell, 3rd Lt; A. H. Farr, 1st Sgt.; E. G. Feemster, 2nd Sgt.; J. H. Bigham, 3rd. Sgt.; James Brannon, 4th Sgt.; Robert Harshaw, 5th Sgt.; W. A. Hays, 1st Cpl.; W. P. Wylie, 2nd Cpl.; I. T. Summerford, 3rd Cpl.; S. N. Smith, 4th Cpl. Thomas Mitchell, 5th Cpl.; S. D. Davidson, 6th Cpl.

Privates: Thomas Allen, C. M. Allen, W. Allen, T. Allen, A. Blair, S. Blair, Jr., J. R. Chambers , John Childers, C. H. Christmas, A. Clark, William Crosby, D. W. Crosby, D. H. Crosby, W. G. Davidson, W. F. Dye, J. E. Feemster, James Feemster, S. M. Feemster, R. J. Foster, J. J. Gilmore, J. S. Guy, G. Hancock, S. Hardwick, J. G. Hetherington, W. E. Hill, N. Hill, D. E. Hope, J. R. Jenkins, E. Jamieson, W. Z. .Kell, R. Lanier, P. Lanier, William Lanier, S. L. Love, John Lominack, E. M. Lockhart, J. G. Minter, J. Minter, H. Moore, J. Miller, J. L. Miller, H. B. Neal, E. Owens, R. E. Park, M. Parks, T. J. Parks, J. Plexico, R. Plexico, H. P. Price, J. Pursely, William Rainey, Sr.; Eli A. Ross; J.

Roberson, W. T. Roberson, E.G. Russel, S. Sanders, J. Sanders, J. A. Sandlin, J. Shearer, W. B. Shearer, T. W. Stevenson, W. S. Traylor, R. M. Wallace, William Warlick, W. J. Wilson, J. T. Williams, W. M. Whiteside, J. F. Whiteside, William White.

Yorkville Enquirer, February 21, 1861

[South Carolina seceded from the Union on December 20, 1860. The Confederate government was organized on February 4, 1861. Three days later, on February 7, 1861, the Enquirer reported that York District had 352 volunteers in the North and South Regiments. The Broad River Light Infantry was the first to send a list of its membership to the newspaper for publication.]


"I remember old Mr. Ellick Haynes very well. He lived on Sugar Creek....He lost an eye in the old war, and was a government pensioner. There were but two pensioners in that vicinity in those days. Charles Elams [Elms] was the other one, he lost an eye in the battle of Eutaw Springs. He was in Washington's Legion. It is a long time since Mr. Haynes died his oldest son was David Haynes. " --John Rosser of Memphis, Tenn. to Lyman Draper, 19 April 1873. Draper's MS Thomas Sumter Papers, 13 VV 7-8.

"Alexander Haynes was born and raised about 5 miles south of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, NC and moved thence, shortly after the close of the revolution, to York County, S.C. and settled near the mouth of Steel Creek about 4 miles from Fort Mill and lived there till his death in 1831 or 32, and was buried in old Unity Church Cemetery about a mile from Fort Mill, aged supposed 75. He was wounded on the cheek by a ----. He bought his land of my grandfather Thomas Spratt an old plat and lease of which for one ---Indians and remember to have seen among my father's papers. The place was since owned and occupied by Eli Kimbell and now I believe in the possession of Captain S. E. White. Alexander Haynes had a brother David H. who was killed in the Revolution war. Left a son also named David who lived and died on the paternal [land.]..." --Thomas Dryden Spratt of Fort Mill, S.C. to Lyman Draper, 7 May 1873. Draper's MS. Thomas Sumter Papers, 15 VV106.

"Almost 25 years ago, Mr. John Rosser of Camden, told me he knew Alexander Haynes of Mecklenburg Co., he was dissipated and lived very poor, all that could be said in his favor was that he bore on his person wounds he received in the battle of Rocky Mount in the defence of his country...." --Daniel Stinson to Lyman Draper, 26 March 1874. Draper's MS., Thomas Sumter Papers, 5 VV21.

"In my return, I marched with a detachment of men from Mecklenburg, NC and think the heroic patriotism of an old lady, on that occasion worth recording: A Mrs. Haynes of that county, as her son was about to leave the door and domestic circle for the camp, as her parting counsel to him said, Alexander fight like a man, and don't be a coward. This I had from an eye and ear witness. We joined General Sumter in the time of the engagement at Rocky Mount and not long after our arrival I met young Haynes coming out of the fight, with a ball having passed through his face-of this however he recovered with the loss of an eye." --"Reminescences of the Revolution" by Joseph Gaston, 6 August 1836, in The Southern Presbyterian. Copy in Draper's MS, Thomas Sumter Papers 9 VV153-160.

"David Haynes, a son of Joseph Haynes, born probably in Connecticut or New Jersey, AD 1720. Died in N.C. AD. Married in Dauphin County, Penn. 1745 to Jane Huggins. Descendents: 1- David Haynes, born 1747, killed at Rocky Mount. 2-Alexander Haynes born 1750. Lost an eye at Hanging Rock under General Washington [ERROR--Gen. Washington was not at Hanging Rock] lived in the county of Mecklenburg near his father's old residence from 1785 to 1807." --Haynes Family Papers, Tennessee State Library and Archives, Nashville, Tennessee, 29 handwritten pages, supposedly written by Colonel Milton Haynes, ca. 1848.

(All of the information on Alexander Haynes was contributed by Paulette Haynes, 2715 Co. Rd., 500 N; R.R. 2, Box 211-J, Anderson, In., 46011, who has additional information and would like to correspond with any Haynes descendants.)


1567- Capt. Juan Pardo and Spanish soldiers, part of De Soto's exploration of the Southeastern United States, are believed to have passed through the York County area. They made contact with the Catawba Indians

c. 1650- Traders from Virginia established trade in deer hides with the Catawbas.

1670- John Lederer, German physician, visited the Catawbas.

- First permanent English settlement of S. C. at Charles Town.

1745-1760- First wave of white settlers from VA and PA to the interior of Carolina.

1763- The Treaty of Augusta at the end of the French and Indian Wars established the area known as the Catawba Indian Land, 15 miles square or 144,000 acres, which includes most of eastern York County.

1768- Camden District created. The territory that is presently York County was a part of Camden District.

1769- The Tryon County, North Carolina courthouse was built at a spot that will later be a part of York County's New Acquisition.

1772- A survey establishing the North Carolina-South Carolina boundary line west of the Catawba River adjusted the claims so that York County gained an area eleven miles deep called the New Acquisition.

1780- The Battle of Kings Mountain on October 7 is considered the turning point of the Revolutionary War in the south and is York County's major historical site.

1785- The organization of York County by act of the South Carolina legislature. The act broke up Craven District (county seat, Camden) into seven counties.

-The Indian Land Church (later called the Ebenezer Presbyterian Church) was established and is believed to be the first church in the county. The village of Ebenezerville grew up around the church.

1786- The first York County court session met in January. The first courthouse was finished later in the year.

1786- The town of Yorkville was laid out at the site of "Fergus Crossroads," the intersection of the Pinckney Ferry Road and the Road to Charlottesburg (N.C.).

1791- York, Chester, Spartanburg and Union Counties were joined to form a District Court which was known as Pinckney District Court, held in Pinckneyville on the southwest side of the Broad River in western York County. Pinckneyville had a courthouse and jail. Equity Court cases affecting York County came under the Camden District and were held in Columbia.

1796- A boundary line was drawn between York and Chester County.

1796- The Pinckneyville District was abandoned and York became a separate district. The designation "York County" was changed to "York District," a status that will be kept until the 1868 state constitution ended the use of "District" and returned to the use of "County".

1808- York District became a part of the Northern Circuit Equity Court.

1823- The second York County courthouse was built from plans of Robert Mills, America's first native-born architect.

1824- York District became a part of the Western Equity District Circuit.

1826- A York District map was printed in the Robert Mills Atlas.

1840- The Nation Ford Treaty was made between the state of South Carolina and the Catawba Indians. The treaty provided for the cession of the Catawba Indian land to the state of South Carolina.

1849- The town of Yorkville was incorporated.

1852- The Charlotte, Columbia and Augusta Railroad came through York County, creating the towns of Rock Hill and Fort Mill. The Kings Mountain Railroad was built through Yorkville.

1854- The Yorkville Female College was established.

1855- The Kings Mountain Military Academy was established.

1867-1876- The Reconstruction Era saw York County occupied by Federal troops. The Ku Klux Klan was very active in the county during that period.

1868- York District became York County.

1880- The Rock Hill Cotton Factory, South Carolina's first steam-driven cotton mill, was put into operation.

1888- The Charleston, Cincinnati and Chicago Railroad, the first east-west railroad, was built through the county.

1895- Winthrop College, the South Carolina College for Women, was established in Rock Hill.

1897- York County's extreme northwestern section was cut off to help form Cherokee County.

1904- The India Hook Dam, the first hydroelectric project on the Catawba River, began operations. Industrialization of the area began in earnest.


[Editor's Note: The following is a verbatim copy of a case that went before York County's Court of Equity in 1848 (Journal of the Court of Equity, 1845-59, p. 134 ff). Child abuse, medical problems(diabetes?), and glimpses of life among the common people of the area, make this an interesting account. The clerk's spelling and punctuation is left as written.]

Bill to Account, May 25, 1848. Complainant offers in Evidence the Sale Bill, Inventory and final settlement of John Campbells as Adm. of Mary P. Buckhannon.

A. T. Black....Says he is the surety of the Administration for the Defendant... Jane Black..Says she is the husband [sic] of A. T. Black...

Capt. Edward Avery Sworn: Testifies that he lives in the neighborhood [Ebenezer] of the deft...Board in the year 1841, 1842, 1843, and 1844 in that neighborhood is six or 7 dollars per month....

He alluded to girl or boys at school-and had rather board boys than girls-had as soon board a grown person as one 12 years of age....

A. White- Knew Mary P. Buckhannon and Silas Buckhannon. His daughter. S. Buckhannon left here in 1840. Mary at his house when her father left. Had conversation with Buckhannon before he left. That - Buckhannon promised to see him before he left the State, in relation to taking his daughter with him--but never called on him but left without making any arrangement for her daughter. After this, Campbell called on him and Mary went to Mr. Campbells for the purpose of going to school. There was no school in his neighborhood. This was in Jany 1841. Mary remained with Mr. Campbell from that time until the time of her death Feb 1, 1845. Knows of Mary being sick at one time while being with Mr. Campbell a few weeks....Mary was rather of a delicate constitution....Says that Mr. Campbell is a man of good circumstance, and a good liver. Never told Buckhannon that he would charge his daughter for board if she was not taken away--was about 15 years of age when left his house....Mary was in his family about 13 years-for which he charged the last three or four years 5 per month, including board and clothing but when she went to school charge $6 per month. This charge for board was deducted from Mary's Estate in witnesses hands as Adm. of William Campbell. William Campbell died in May 1836. In John Campbells settlement as Adm. of Mary P. Buckhannons, he allowed witness his account against Mary P. Buckhannon, amounting to about half her Estate. Mary was a niece of Mr. Campbell--sister's daughter. Mary was rather a slow and dull girl, and rather behind girls of her age in acquirements. Mary was more than ordinary troublesome from the fact that she had an inordinate thirst for water....While in witnesses family, Mary was capable of rendering some service but was put to no service except sweeping the house, setting the table, etc.....At the time left her house Mary was unusually large for her age. Mary's mother died when she was about 2 years of age....Mr. Campbell has no children.

John M. Douglas. Testifies. Knows Silas Buckhannon, he was insolvent. Knew Alexander C. Buckhannon. Saw this child at Buckhannons (Mr. Smith objects to the testimony on the ground that it has nothing to do with the reference of the accounts between the parties==objection overruled.) Boy was at his house. The boy looked as he had been badly whiped-thinks it had some 30 or 40 licks--on head, on one ear, good many on back.

Don't know how child got these marks, nor does he recollect time-boy lived with his father until its death. Thinks child was at his house some 5 or 6 months before its death, died 2 or 3 years before Buckhannon left.

John Barnes. Testifies. Knows Silas Buckhannon; was insolvent, knew his son ACB. In the year 1835 or 36 saw the child tied up by Buckhannon. Saw Buckhannon on his return home from Mr. Douglass and Fewells where he had been all night. Buckhannon said he must get on him--witness said that if the child was his he would [illegible phrase] long ago. B replied it is none of your business. There was liquor at Fewells and B was drinking. No one at Buckhannons when he passed but child....Was there on another occasion. Saw child crying for something to eat--nothing was given it. Heard B say that if Campbell had kept child he was able to pay him for it. Said that the child looked like it could not live very long and would be a fine thing if the damnd thing was out of the way....

Says that Buckhannons last wife is still alive the [illegible] saw child tied. She was not with him saw Buckhannon at Fewells. Did not untie child-although no one was present.

John Fewell. Testified. Live one and half mile from John Campbell. Boarding worth $6 or $7 a month. Witness a clerk in the store of A. F. Fewell & Co. who furnished a bill of accounts for funeral of Mary Buckhannon amounting to $18.84 (paper D). Campbell paid for same.

Knows of Currence teaching near Campbells, went to Ebenezer in 1842 & thinks Currence taught in the neighborhood the year he went to Ebenezer.

Stanley Fewell- Knew S. Buckhannon and ACB, his son. Saw Silas on two different times give child 30 or 35 lashes at each time--boy was 8 or 9 years of age. Heard boy frequently hollering at other times. Thinks child some time got enough to eat and sometimes not enough, Buckhannon said that to eat too much operated on child and made it unpleasant.

Child was whiped with Hickory. Never saw child naked--no marks. B. was about half drunk. Buckhannon had the means of living well at this time....[The remainder of the account deals with the financial settlement of Mary P. Buckhannon's estate, which included $8 to John Parrott for making the coffin and $2 to A. T. Black for conducting the "crying sale." or auction.]

(To be continued.)


Charles L. Clawson deeded the land for Gold Hill School in May 1858 to Josiah Faris, et al, Trustees. The deed read in part: "Charles L. Clawson, for 10 Josiah Faris, James Boyd, James A. Garrison, S. P. Sutton, trustees for Gold Hill Academy...situate on the East side of the Catawba River near the Steel Creek Road, near the steam saw mill...containing one acre more or less....pupils of said school shall have right of way over the land of C. L. Clawson." The deed was witnessed by W. I. Clawson and William M. Sutton (York County Clerk of Court as Register of Mesne Conveyance, Book S. page 122.).

The Fort Mill Times, February 25, 1915, had an article which said that the first teacher at Gold Hill School was Brantly H. Coltharp and that the school stood near the Thomas Merritt residence on Steel Creek Road. The account also included a story about Mary Sutton, who when a pupil in the school, barred the door on Coltharp until he agreed to treat the students at school closing. Mary Sutton was the daughter of Stephen Partlow Sutton and Mariah Pettus Campbell Sutton. She married James P. ("Sunny Jim") Epps a Confederate soldier, when she was only fifteen years of age.


Phebe Harris widow of James Harris, died in 1814. Robert Smith was the administrator of her estate. He and Phebe had been joint administrators of James Harris' estate. Robert Smith was bonded by the county. John Goodrich and Zebulon Jackson, neighbors, cosigned the bond. Typical of the times, the estate property was disposed of in a public auction which attracted crowds from over the country side. Phebe's auction, called a "crying sale," was "published" at the Indian Land Meeting House (later called the Ebenezer Presbyterian Church) on March 16, 1815.

Before the auction the goods were appraised by John Springs, John Jackson, William Goodrich and William Adkins. The appraisers placed a value of $1,396.15 on the estate. There remained a few accounts to be paid. The auctioneer, Adams Brown, received $6 for "crying vendue." Benjamin Person furnised $7.20 worth of whiskey (free to prospective buyers). James Johnston was owed $3 for the coffin. Philemon Johnston was owed $10 but the records don't show why.

Because James Harris' estate had not been settled before his widow's death, Robert Smith also reported amounts paid out from Harris' estate. These expenses were listed as "contra credit." Payments were made to: "Andrew S. Hutchison for school children, $1.50; Elisha Smart for schooling Randal C. Harris, $4.25; funeral clothing from A. Frew, $8.25; John Stockinger for coffin, $10; Benjamin Person, whiskey, "$5; Seamore Taylor [a tavern keeper], account, $3.06; " There were a number of court cases involved: "Robert Smith, admr. of James Harris, dec'd, v. Jesse Harris and Henry Coltharp, tax costs of pff's atty, $11.04; The Same v. Philip Johnston & Jesse Harris, $2.81; The Same v. Jesse Harris and Matt Marable, $2.81; Jesse Harris v. Robert Smith admr of James Harris, dec'd, counsel fee, $10; the sheriff's cost in above cases, $12.66." Jesse Harris was owed $52.50 on a note with interest.

Benjamin Person witnessed a receipt for $985.55 of Collin Person "in full payment of said right of my wife Jane."

(York County Estate Records, Case 24, File 988, Phebe Harris Dec'd, Robert Smith Adm.)


Originally called Sugar Creek Church, Flint Hill Baptist Church was founded on May 1, 1792 and is the mother church of all York County and Mecklenburg County, North Carolina Baptist churches.

Rev. John Rooker, a Revolutionary War veteran, who came down from Warren County, North Carolina, was supposedly sought out by John Dinkins and other Baptists already in this area. The original members of the church were: John Rooker; John Dinkins; John Smith; James Spears; William Pettus; Juba, the servant of M. Harris; Margaret Dinkins; Celia Weathers; Mary Smith; Ally Spears; Alice Weathers and Mary Cooper.

Flint Hill records tell us the origins of many of the early members who came after the original twelve members (or thirteen, if we count Mrs. Anna Rooker). In 1794 : Banks Meacham from the Baptist Church of Fountain Creek, Greenville County, Virginia; William McKinney and wife Amy from the Baptist Church of Franklin County, North Carolina; Davis Collins and Nancy Cheek from Montgomery County, North Carolina; Richard Lawrence of the Baptist Church of Dutchess County, North Carolina and Humphrey, servant of Capt. John Springs. In 1795: Mary Cooper, wife of William Cooper, from the Church of Christ, Wake County, North Carolina (dismissed in 1797). In 1796: Joshua Edwards of Rocky River, North Carolina In 1797: Samuel Hockaday and wife Mary of the Church of Christ of Wake County, North Carolina.. In 1799: Mary Harris received on February 10 from the Church of Christ of Montgomery County, North Carolina In 1800: Timothy Orr from New Hanover County, North Carolina; Charles S. Morten, "transient member" from Notteway County, Virginia. In 1802: James Fincher and wife Celia and daughter Mildred on July 10 from Anson County, North Carolina; Mary Forbes and Jane McCorkle from Six Mile Church [Lancaster, South Carolina ?]. In 1804: Sister Charity Barnes from Flat Creek Church. In 1805: James Knox and wife Mary Ann from Buck Creek Church; Polly Williamson dismissed to join Hopewell Church; In 1806: Brother Robert Mursh, wife Elizabeth and son Robert from Church of Christ, King William County, Virginia, Lower College Church, Pamunkey Indians. In 1807, Susanna Crocker from Reedy Creek Church, Warren County, North Carolina In 1808: Eliza Wiggans from Baptist Church of Tar River (Fork of); Thomas Skidmore and wife from Mountain Church, Chatham County, North Carolina, transferring their membership in 1810 to Hebron Church. In 1809: Elizabeth Lancaster from Reedy Church, Warren County, North Carolina. In 1815: Dr. Stephen Fox from Elk Run Church in Virginia. In 1816: Sister Patsy Darnall from Sandy Creek Church, North Carolina In 1820: Sarah Kilgro by letter from Neuse River Church. In 1822: James Appleton from Salem Church, Oglethorpe, Georgia; Moses Seaberry from Hebron Church In 1823: Alfred Nairn, transient member from Wake County, North Carolina; Browning Duncan received from Church of Kentucky


We have never seen a comprehensive list of the county's first settlers and their families. We think it would be interesting and useful to start a roster of York County's pre-Revolutionary War (before 1776) inhabitants. The roster should provide the name of the head of the family followed by the family members. Information included in the sketch might tell from where the family emigrated, the date, or approximate date, of arrival, which area of the county they settled in, occupation (e.g., blacksmith, ferry operator), and any other pertinent facts such as birth and death dates and church membership. Our readers are encouraged to submit such accounts for publication in future issues of the Quarterly.


"James M. Harris is a descendant of two old South Carolina families. His father, Randolph C. Harris, was born in York district, that State, and lived there until after marriage, when, in 1818, he moved to Lowndes County, Alabama; thence to Sumter county, same State, and then in 1836, to Texas, settling in Bowie county, of which he was one of the earliest settlers. He was often in the conflicts with the Indians and in two campaigns against them under General Rusk. He died in February, 1847, and was buried in Bowie county. The mother of James M. Harris bore the maiden name of Sarah Quartz and was a daughter of John Quartz, a native of Ireland, who emigrated to this country when a young man and settled in York district, South Carolina. She died in July, 1836, in Bowie county, Texas. The children of Randolph C. and Sarah Harris are---Margaret Jane, Phoebe Caroline, James Monroe, Cynthia Celina, Clarissa, William, Alfred and Mary Ann...."

(The above is the first portion of an entry in Biographical Souvenir of the State of Texas, Chicago: F. A. Battey & Company, 1889, and is submitted by Lottie Clymer, 2812 Canterbury, Ponca City, OK., 74601. She is a Harris descendant and is interested in Harris-Adkins-Cheek

-and Clymer connections in York and Lancaster Counties.)


A member of the 5th Regiment, South Carolina Volunteers identified only as "J. D. M." wrote a letter to the editor of the Yorkville Enquirer in which he described the disastrous results of the battle of Lookout Mountain, Tennessee on his company:

"....My company fought until nearly all were killed or wounded, and when the order came to retreat, the little squad of brave men now composing Company E, moved off in good order. I carried into the fight forty-one men, rank and file. The following is a list of the casualties:

"Killed--Sergt. J. T. Collins, Corp. J. B. Humphries, and Private W. J. Minter.

"Mortally wounded and left in the hands of the enemy--Lieut. William Crosby, thigh broken; Lieut. Felix H. Mullenax, in knee; Private W. J. Smith, in breast; D. W. Crosby, in abdomen; John Poag, in bowels.

"Severely wounded--Corp. James A. Neil, in leg; H. H. Grant, in hand; Private W. A. Isom, in shoulder; J. Bradley Rawls, in hand, Martin Rawls, in arm: M. B. Pool, in side, and a prisoner; William Breakfield, in leg; S. P. Drum, in foot, and a prisoner.

"Slightly wounded--Sergt. M. S. Lindsay, in arm; Privates J. A. Cabaniss, in arm; James Childers, in breast; H. B. Thomas, in side; R. B. Thomas, in leg; W. T. McDonald, in face; W. C. Carson, in hand; James Lowry, in breast; Benjamin Moore, in arm.

"Missing--Privates M. S. Pool, J. W. Clack.

"Our wounded had to be carried on litters on men's shoulders, some five miles, so you can see why so many fell into the hands of the enemy.

"I never saw Lieut. Crosby after he was wounded. I was in command of the Company, and he was at his post on the left. He was wounded in the charge from the gully to the place where we came upon the enemy. Lieutenant Mullenax and Bradley Rawls went and offered to bring him off, but the brave fellow said to them, 'go on, you are needed in front, and my thigh is all broken in pieces--you can do be no good.' These are the last words he spoke to any of the company.

"Lieut. Mullenax was wounded on our advance line. He hobbled back to the gully with his leg broken. When the regiment fell back to the gully, and was known we would have to retreat, I went and told him I would try and carry him off on my back. He was willing at first, but he became apprehensive that we might both be killed, and he told me to leave him to his fate. I could not help shedding tears when we parted.

"Sergeant Collins was killed after we halted on the advance line. He and Humphries were both killed near the same spot. Collins was shot through the body. He asked some of the boys to turn him over on his face and let him die.

"Minter was killed in the first part of the charge He was shot in the head. I did not see him killed--he was on the extreme left.

"D. W. Crosby and John Poag were wounded in the advance line and could not move.

"W. J. Smith was wounded just as the charge stopped. He said he was killed--to tell his father he died like a man--to tell his mother he died like a christian. He crawled back to the gully and was living when we left.

"M. B. Pool was severely wounded, and when we fell back to the gully I could not see him. I suppose he tried to make his way back. When we retreated his brother, M. S. Pool, would not leave until he knew what had become of Miles; so I think he was taken prisoner.

"S. P. Drum was hit in the foot with a spent ball. When we retreated, I saw him back. He was very lame and has not yet come up. I fear the Yankees have got him.

"The following are the casualties in Company F, from our District:

"Killed--Sergeant J. H. Quinn.

"Wounded--J. B. Moore, in breast, mortally; U. J. Fewell, through kidneys, mortally; Corp. James H. Yearwood, thigh, severely; Private T. H. Lynn, thigh, mortally; G.J. Knox, hip, mortally; William Watson, shoulder, mortally; F. M. Foster, bowels, mortally; R. L. McCants, hand, slightly; C. Simmons, arm, severely; John Smith, hand severely; C M. Parrott, thigh severely; W. H. Hardin, hand, severely.


[Editor's note--We believe that "J.D.M." was 1st Lt. John D. McConnell of Bethesda Township who was a member of Company E, 5th. S.C.Volunteers, Jenkins Infantry. Although wounded six times, McConnell survived the war and was listed by the Confederate Veterans Enrollment Book of York County, S. C. - 1902.]

On February 3, 1864, the Yorkville Enquirer received a letter from F. H. Mullino who was listed as wounded in "J.D.M."s report. Mullino was a prisoner in Nashville, Tennessee and in December sent his list of his fellow prisoners-of-war who had died in the hospital there:

"October 30- W. Wilson and F. Foster of Co. F, 5th Regiment, SCV

"October 31- D. M. Crosby, W. J. Minter and W. J. Smith, of Co. E., 5th Regiment, S.C.V.

"December 13- Lieut. Crosby."


"Daniel Smith a native of the State of Virginia; Elizabeth Smith his wife & daughter of Josep Darnell of Warren Co., N.C. They settled on the Nation Ford Road 5 1/4 miles South of Charlotte, N.C. about the year {illegible].

Names of their children:

"Daniel Smith Married Sarah Mason Daughter of ----- Mason, Mecklenburg Co. N.C. They Died in York County.

"Josep Smith. Married Amy Henderson Daughter of -----Henderson, Charlotte, N.C. they Died in Mecklenburg Co.

"Samuel D. Smith Married Jane Darby Daughter of Zadok Darby of York District, S.C. Settled in Mecklenburg County, N.C. near the two churches called Steel Creek, Eight miles South west of Charlotte on the road leading to Catawba River to Charlotte N.C. Their children were Elizabeth Smith and Zadok Darby Smith born at the place above named. This was their only (two or three words illegible) the year 1830 they moved to the residence of Mary Darby, York County S. C. After then removed to the latter place and united themselves with the Baptist Church at Sugar Creek, York Co., S. C. Jane Smith in 1833. Samuel D. Smith in ----their membership was afterwards transferred to Meth.Church, York Co, S.C. near their residence to constitute a church at that place in 1841. Samuel D. Smith Died at his residence York County in the year 1845 was buried in the family graveyard near the place of his birth on the side of Nation Ford Road 5 miles south of Charlotte. Jane Smith removed to the state of Tennessee, Fayette Co. in the year 185- and resided with her son-in-law Rev. William Nolen until her death in the year 1855 and was buried near the ------place(?).

"Benjamin R. Smith. Married Nancy Ray, Daughter of William Ray, Mecklenburg Co. N. C. Benjamin R. Smith .......

"John D. Smith. Married Deborah Campbell Daughter of William Campbell, Mecklenburg Co, N.C. They removed to the State of Arkansas, Fayette Co. They Died at that place about the year 1863.

"Jane Smith Married H. H. Glover First, then George Pettus. Jane Pettus survived George Pettus, both Died about the year 1845 Buried at Sugar Creek Church York County, S.C.

"Nancy Smith. Married William Reeves of Mecklenburg Co, N.C. Died in the year 1836. Buried in the family graveyard.

"Joshua P. Smith. Married Winny Cauthen Daughter of John Cauthen of York County S.C. Both of whom Died about the year 1850. Buried at Sugar Creek Church, York Co., S. C.

"Elizabeth Smith. Married Arthur Bowden of Mecklenburg Co., N.C. both of whom are dead.

"Stephen H. Smith. Married Martha Cowan Daughter of Jas. Cowan of Mecklenburg Co., N. C. He died at the place of his birth in the year 1866. Buried in the family burying ground.

"Records in regard to the Mother of Z. D. Smith.

"Zadok Darby a native of the state of Maryland settled in York County S. C. near the Catawba River on what is known as the Leiper grant in the N.E. Corner of the county and State about the year 1795. He married Mary Dyson, Daughter of Madox Dyson who also came from the State of Maryland. They raised two children, Jane Darby and Delilah Darby. Jane Darby Married Samuel D. Smith of Mecklenburg Co, N.C., 1819. Delilah Darby Married Levi Gingles of Lincoln Co, N.C.

"Zadok Darby Died at his residence in York Co., S.C., Oct. 12, 1824. Age 54 years. Buried at Bethel Church. Mary Darby Died at her residence in York Co, S.C. in the year 1843. Age 68 years. Buried at Bethel Church. Delilah Gingles Died in York Co. S. C. in 1839. Levi Gingles died in year 1852. The first was buried at Bethel Church. The latter at New Hope Church, Gaston, Co., N.C."

Back to:  The Quarterly