International Order of Odd Fellows

 

        This history appears in Chapter XC of "History of South

        Dakota" by Doane Robinson, Vol. I (1904), pages 516-525 and was

        scanned, OCRed and edited by Maurice Krueger, mkrueger@iw.net.

 

        This file may be freely copied by individuals and non-profit

        organizations for their private use.

 

        Any other use, including publication, storage in a retrieval

        system, or transmission by electronic, mechanical, or other

        means requires the written approval of the file's author.

 

        This file is part of the SDGENWEB Archives. If you arrived here inside

        a frame or from a link from somewhere else, our front door is at

 

        http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/sd/sdfiles.htm

 

 

CHAPTER XC

 

ODD FELLOWSHIP

BY- HARVEY J. RICE, GRAND SECRETARY

 

        The first organization of Odd Fellows in the territory of Dakota was at

Yankton, May 25, 1870, when Dakota Lodge No. 1, was instituted with five charter

members, N. J. Cattell, H. A. James, E. A. Norton, Alex Linn and A. Bruce. At

this meeting three new members were initiated and two admitted by card. The

following were initiated in this lodge and ever since have been identified with

the progress of the order in the territory and state: Fred Schnauber, initiated

December 16, 1870; Warren Osborn, October 25, 1871; E. T. White, December 14,

1871; Zina Richey, February 1, 1872; James Kingsbury, February 29, 1873. 

 

        Echo Lodge No. 2, was instituted at Ft. Randall February 7, 1872, with

twenty-five members. 

 

        Vermilion Lodge No. 3, was instituted at Vermilion August 21, 1872, with

fourteen members. Among this number was Andrew E. Lee, since governor of South

Dakota. 

 

        Elk Point Lodge No. 4, was instituted at Elk Point January 21, 1873, with

eleven members, among whom was the Hon. Ezra W. Miller, who has since attained

quite a prominence in state affairs. 

 

        Humbolt Lodge No. 5, was instituted at Yankton May 11, 1874, with eleven

members. This was a German lodge. Among its charter members were William Blatt

and Herman Ellerman, prominently known throughout the state. 

 

Northern Light Lodge No. 6, was instituted at Fargo in 1874. 

 

All of the foregoing lodges received their charters from the sovereign grand

lodge, then known as the right worshipful grand lodge of the United states.. 

 

        During the month of May, 1875, the propriety of the organization of a

grand lodge in Dakota of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows was discussed by

the members of Vermilion Lodge No. 3, and it was then agreed to submit the

matter to the six subordinate lodges then in existence, viz: Dakota Lodge No. 1,

located at Yankton; Echo Lodge No. 2, at Ft. Randall; Vermilion Lodge No. 3, at

Vermilion; Elk Point Lodge No. 4, at Elk Point; Humbolt Lodge No. 5, at Yankton,

and Northern Light Lodge No. 6, at Fargo. 

 

        The constitution of the grand lodge of the United States required that

there be ten subordinate lodges in a state or territory in order to organize a

grand lodge, but it was believed that this obstacle could be overcome by special

legislation, provided a proper presentation of facts were duly submitted to the

sovereign body. Brother Ralph R. Briggs, past grand, was deputed to visit the

other points and consult with the prominent members of the order and make such

arrangements as seemed most expedient. Among those who became at once

enthusiastic and zealous workers in the cause were William Blatt, Charles

Eiseman, M; P. Ohlman, past grand of No. 5, and Norman Learned, past grand of

No. I, and it was decided to correspond with the grand sire and grand secretary,

Brother James L. Ridgley and other leading representatives in the sovereign

grand lodge, from whom was reported very encouraging replies. 

 

        At a regular meeting held on the 25th day of June, 1875, the following

resolutions were adopted: "Resolved, That we, the officers and members, are

unanimously in favor of organizing a grand lodge of Independent Order of Odd

Fellows in Dakota," which resolution was duly certified to the other five lodges

in the territory, requesting similar action and corporation. All of them

promptly responded and a call was issued for a convention to be held at Yankton,

August 18, 1875. 

 

        Pursuant to this call, a large number of past grands assembled in the Odd

Fellows' hall at Yankton August 18, 1875, and were called to order at nine

o'clock A. M. by Brother Fred Schnauber, past grand, who stated the object of

the convention, and Brother A. Siebrecht, of Ft. Randall, was elected temporary

chairman and Brother J. A. Wallace, of Elk Point, temporary secretary. 

 

        The following representatives were found to be present, with certificates

of election as such from their respective lodges: James H. Magoffin, from Dakota

Lodge, No. 1; August Siebrecht, from Echo Lodge, No. 2; R. R. Briggs, from

Vermilion Lodge, No. 3; J. A. Wallace, from Elk Point Lodge, No. 4; M. P.

Ohlman, from Humbolt Lodge, No. 5; J. P. Knight, from Northern Light Lodge, No.

6. 

 

        On motion, James H. Magoffin was elected chairman and R. R. Briggs,

secretary of the convention. 

 

        Representative Wallace offered the following, which was adopted: 

 

        Whereas, upon full and mature consideration of the subject, and in view of

the feet that there are at this time thirty-nine past grands in good standing

belonging to subordinate lodges in Dakota, therefore be it 

 

        Resolved, That we, as representatives of said lodges, are heartily and

unanimously in favor of organizing a grand lodge, Independent Order of Odd

Fellows, in Dakota. 

 

        A petition was duly signed by all present to the grand lodge of the United

States, praying for a grand charter and the appointment of Brother William Blatt

as special deputy to institute the grand lodge of Dakota, Independent Order of

Odd Fellows, and install its officers. 

 

        The following were nominated for the grand officers of tile new grand

lodge when organized: Grand master, Brother Ezra W. Miller; deputy grand master,

Brother Norman Learned; grand warden, Brother Aug Siebrecht; grand secretary,

Brother Ralph R. Briggs; grand treasurer, Brother Fred Schnauber. 

 

        It was decided to request each subordinate lodge to send three past grands

as representative, to a meeting to be held in Yankton on the 13th day of

October, 1875, at 9 o'clock A. m., at which time it was expected that the grand

lodge of Dakota would be organized. 

 

ORGANIZATION OF THE GRAND LODGE OF DAKOTA.

 

        Pursuant to the call issued by the convention of August 18, 1875, a large

number of past grands from the different subordinate lodges convened in Odd

Fellows Hall in the city of Yankton at nine o'clock A. M., October 13, 1875, and

were called to order by Brother William Blatt, who had been appointed special

deputy grand sire by the grand sire of the grand lodge of the United States,

Independent Order of Odd Fellows (now the sovereign grand lodge). 

 

        Prayer was offered by Brother James H. Magoffin, of Yankton. 

 

        On the report of the credential committee, the following past grands were

found to be present as representatives and entitled to seats as such: From

Dakota, No. 1, Yankton, Fred Schnauber, Zina Richey and Norman Learned; from

Echo, No. 2, Fort Randall, F. St. Clair, A. Siebrecht, H. A. James and L. D. F.

Poorer from Vermilion, No. 3, Vermilion, J. F. Curtis, J. P. Kidder and R. R.

Briggs; from Elk Point, No. 4, Elk Point, J. S. Hughes, William Conley and E. W.

Miller; from Humbolt, No. 5, Yankton, H. Pfotenhauer, M. P. Ohlman and William

Blatt; from Northern Light, No. 5, Fargo, J. P. Knight, J. H. Magoffin and

Charles Eiseman.

 

        The special deputy, Brother William Blatt, produced and read the charter

of the grand lodge of Dakota, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and after due

form proclaimed the said grand lodge duly instituted by the authority of the

grand lodge of the United States. 

 

        The following grand officers were then elected, appointed and duly

installed: Grand master, E. W. Miller; deputy grand master, Norman Learned;

grand warden, J. P. Knight; grand secretary, R. R. Briggs; grand treasurer, A.

Siebrecht; grand representative to the grand lodge of the United States, William

Blatt; grand chaplain, James H. Magoffin; grand marshal, James F. Curtis; grand

conductor, Fred Schnauber; grand guardian, M. P. Ohlman; grand herald, Frank St.

Clair. 

 

        A constitution and a set of by-laws were then adopted for the grand lodge,

which provided for the annual sessions. A constitution was also adopted for the

government of subordinate lodges. It was decided to hold the next session at

Fort Randall in October, 1876. The session lasted two days and was a very

harmonious one. The total membership at this time in Dakota was two hundred and

twenty seven. 

 

 

                                        1876. 

 

        The second annual session was held at Fort Randall October 11, 1876, and

was called to order by E. W. Miller, grand master, six lodges being represented.

During the year the following lodges had been organized: Springfield, No. 7, at

Springfield; Dell Rapids, No. 8, at Dell Rapids; Sioux Falls, No. 9, at Sioux

Falls; Centennial, No. 10, at Canton; Re-Echo, No.11 at Fort Sully. Total number

initiated during the year, 79. Total paid for relief, $277.12. Total receipts of

lodges, $3,845.88. 

 

        At this session the grand lodge was incorporated under the laws of the

territory of Dakota. 

 

        Brother Norman Learned, of Yankton, was elected grand master, Brother R.

R. Briggs was reelected grand secretary and Brother Fred Schnauber, grand

treasurer. 

 

 

                                        1877. 

 

        The third annual session was held at Elk Point October IO, 1877, and was

called to order by the grand master, Brother Norman Learned. 

 

        Brother William Blatt, of Yankton, was elected grand master, Brother R. R.

Briggs, grand secretary, and Brother Zina Richey, grand treasurer. 

 

 

                                        1878. 

 

        The fourth annual session was held at Yankton October 9, 1878, Grand

Master William Blatt presiding. Two new lodges had been added during the year,

viz: Sioux Lodge, No. 14, at Standing Rock, and Flandreau Lodge, No. 15, at

Flandreau. The grand secretary's report for the year showed 174 initiations.

Total relief paid, $1,772. L. D. F. Poore was elected grand master. 

 

 

                                        1879 

 

        The fifth annual session convened at Yankton October 8, 1879, Grand Master

L. D. F. Poore in the chair. Three new lodges were reported, viz: Croftin, No.

16, at Fort Tolton; Lead City, No. 17, at Lead, and Unity, No. 18, at Gary.

Brother Zina Richey was elected grand master and Brother George W. Snow was

appointed grand chaplain. 

 

 

                                        1880. 

 

        The sixth annual session was held at Sioux Falls October 8, 1880, and was

presided over by Brother Zina Richey, grand master, sixteen lodges being

represented. Eight new lodges were instituted, viz: Grand Forks, No. 19, at

Grand Forks; Madison, No. 20, at Madison; Chanka, No. 21, at Mitchell;

Anniversary, No. 22, at Marion; Mandan, No. 23, at Mandan; Watertown, No. 24, at

Watertown; Spearfish No. 25, at Spearfish; Golden Center, No. 26, at Central

City. Amount paid for relief during the year, $1,168.39. Brother J. A. Wallace

was elected grand master. 

 

 

                                        1881. 

 

        The seventh annual session was held at Yankton October 12, 1881, Grand

Master T. A. Wallace presiding, twenty-nine lodges being represented. Five new

lodges were organized, viz: No. 27, at Goodwin; No. 28, at Valley City; No. 29,

at Casselton; No. 30, at Fargo; No. 31, at Jamestown. Total membership, 1,050.

Amount of relief paid, $I,066. The date of holding the annual session was

changed from October to May and the next session fixed for the 8th of May, 1883.

Brother W. A. Bentley of Bismarck, was elected grand master. 

 

 

                                        1883. 

 

        The eighth annual session was called to order at Fargo by William A.

Bentley, grand master, with twenty-four lodges represented. Nineteen new lodges

had been instituted during the year,  viz: No. 32, at Huron; No. 33, at

Hillsboro; No. 34, at Big Stone; No. 35, at Forestburg; No. 36, at Alexandria;

No. 37, at Pierre; No. 38, at Wahpeton; No. 39, at Rapid City; No. 40, at

Brookings; No. 41 at Pembina; No. 42, at Portland; No. 43, at Mayville; No. 44,

at Plankinton; No. 45, at Ashton; No. 46, at Sturgis; No. 47, at Chamberlain;

No. 48, at Howard; No. 49, at Aberdeen; Rebekah Lodge, No. 1, at Lead City.

Number initiated during the year, 622. Amount paid for relief, $3,325.53. At

this session Brother Ralph R. Briggs, who had served as grand secretary

continuously from the organization of the grand lodge, was unanimously elected

grand master and Brother F. S. Emerson was elected grand secretary. 

 

 

                                        1884

 

        The ninth annual session was held at Mitchell and was presided over by

Brother R. R. Briggs, grand master. Forty-eight lodges were represented.

Eighteen new lodges were organized during the year, viz No. 50, at Redfield; No.

51, at Frederick: No. 52, at Lisbon; No. 53, at Groton; No. 54, at Milbank; No.

55, at Caledonia ; No. 56, at Sioux Falls (German); No. 57, at Scotland; No. 58,

at DeSmet; No. 59, at Buxton; No. 60, at Clark; No. 6, at St. Lawrence; No. 62,

at Miller; Hope Rebekah Lodge, No. 2, at Madison; Naomi Rebekah Lodge, No. 3, at

Alexandria  (since defunct). Amount paid for relief, $3,233.80. Total

membership, 2,122. A constitution for Rebekah lodges was adopted. Brother A. E.

Clough, of Madison, was elected grand master and Brother E. M. Fuller, of

Bismarck, grand secretary. The time for the annual session was permanently fixed

on the third Tuesday of May of each year. 

 

 

                                        1885. 

 

        The tenth annual session was held at Aberdeen May 20, 1885, A. E. Clough,

of Madison, as grand master. Fifty-two subordinate lodges were represented.'

During the year seven lodges were instituted, viz: No. 66, at Lake Preston: No.

67, at Woonsocket; No. 68, at Ellendale; No. 69, at Columbia; No. 70, at Fort

Buford; No. 71, at Eagan; No. 72, at Ree Heights. There were paid during the

year $3,580.28 and there was a gain in membership of 364. H. J. Rowe, of

Casselton, was elected grand master and R. R. Briggs, grand secretary. 

 

 

                                        1886. 

 

        The eleventh annual session was held at Watertown May 18, 1886, H. J.

Rowe, grand master, presiding, forty-nine lodges being represented. Seventeen

new lodges were organized during the year, viz: No. 73, at Altoona (now

Hitchcock); No. 74, at Hope; No. 75, at Hurley; No. 76, at LaMoure; No. 77, at

Alpena; No. 78. at Wittenberg; No. 79, at Carthage; No. 80, at Artesian; No. 81,

at Wessington Springs; No. 82, at Milnor; No. 83, at Frankfort; No. 84, at White

Lake; No. 85, at Mellette; No. 86, at Park River; No. 87, at Larimore; No. 88,

at Parker; No. 89, at Highmore. Total membership January 1, 1877, 2,955. Total

paid for relief, $4,674.73. Harvey J. Rice was elected grand master and R. R.

Briggs was reelected grand secretary. 

 

 

                                        1887. 

 

        The twelfth annual session met in the city of Grand Forks May 17, 1887,

Harvey J. Rice, grand master, presiding, and fifty-eight lodges being

represented. During the year ten lodges were instituted, viz: No. 90, at St.

Thomas; No. 91, at Hunter; No. 92, at Arlington; No. 93, at Ludden; No. 94, at

Kimball; No. 95, at Tyndall; No. 96, at Vilas; No. 97, at Centerville; No. 98,

at Volga; No. 99, at Parkston. 667 new members were initiated during the year.

Total relief paid by lodges, $4,867.71.  Abbott H. Smith, of Deadwood, was

elected grand master and R. R. Briggs, grand secretary. 

 

 

                                        1888. 

 

        The thirteenth annual session was held at Huron May 15, 1888, Abbott G.

Smith, grand master, presiding, and sixty-two lodges being represented. Four

subordinate lodges and one Rebekah lodge were instituted during the year, viz:

No. 100, at Dickinson; No. 101, at Toronto; No. 102, at Drayton; No. 103, at

Milton;' No. 4, Rebekah Lodge, at Spearfish. 616 new members were initiated

during the year, and the several lodges paid for relief, $4,g58.o5. Frank S.

Emerson, of Sioux Falls, was elected grand master and R. R. Briggs, grand

secretary. 

 

 

                                        1889. 

 

        The fourteenth annual session was held at Jamestown and was called to

order by Frank S. Emerson, grand master, all other grand officers being present

and eighty-six subordinate lodges being represented. Four subordinate lodges and

two Rebekah lodges were organized during the year, viz: No. 104, at Armour; No.

105, at Bryant; No. 106, at Salem; No. 107, at Northwood; No. 5, Rebekah Lodge,

at Watertown; No. 6, Rebekah Lodge, at Ashton. Total initiations during the

year, 619. Total relief paid by lodges, $5,552.11. 

 

        At this session the representatives at the sovereign grand lodge, who were

Abbott G. Smith and Harvey J. Rice, were instructed to take the necessary steps

in the sovereign grand lodge to divide the jurisdiction, as the territory of

Dakota had been divided by congress and North and South Dakota admitted into the

Union as two- states, said division of the grand lodge of Dakota to take place

at the annual session in May, 1890. A. E. Nugent, of Fargo, was elected grand

master and R. R. Briggs as grand secretary. 

 

 

                                        1890. 

 

        The fifteenth annual session convened at Deadwood May 20, 1890, A. R.

Nugent presiding. Nine past grand masters were present and representatives from

ninety-six lodges. During the year six subordinate lodges and four Rebekah

lodges were instituted, viz: No. 108, at Wheatland, North Dakota; No. 109, at

Oelrichs, South Dakota; No. 110, at Warner, South Dakota; No. 111, at Hamilton,

North Dakota; No. 112, at Hot Springs, South Dakota; No. 113, at Britton, South

Dakota; No. 7, Rebekah Lodge, at Sioux Falls, South Dakota; No. 8, Rebekah

Lodge, at Deadwood, South Dakota; No. 9, Rebekah Lodge, at Fargo, North Dakota;

No. 10, Rebekah Lodge, at Dickinson, North Dakota. Total relief paid by lodges

during the year, $7,731. At this time the total membership was 4,330. The total

amount of invested funds of lodges, $90,133.74 

 

        This was the most notable session ever held by the grand lodge of Dakota,

or perhaps that will ever be held by the two grand lodges growing out of it.

Space will not permit going into the details of this eventful meeting. During

the fifteen years of existence the official roster of the grand lodge remained

unbroken. Now those who had during that time labored together for the upbuilding

of this institution were to separate, some never to meet again. 

 

        The sovereign grand lodge had decided that the grand lodge of South Dakota

should be the legal successor of the grand lodge of Dakota and should retain its

present charter, and instructed its grand secretary to endorse thereon, "The

Grand Lodge of South Dakota." The division occurred on the afternoon of the

third day's session, May 22, 1890, which will never be forgotten by those

present. The following brothers participated in the exercises: A. E. Nugent,

retiring grand master; H. J. Rowe, past grand master; W. A. Bentley, past grand

master; C). S. Basford, grand master-elect;` E. W. Miller, the first grand

master; A. E. Clough, past grand master; A. G. Smith, past grand master; Zina

Richey, past grand master; H. J. Rice, past grand master; R. R. Briggs, past

grand master; F. S. Emerson, past grand master, and George W. Freeman, grand

chaplain. 

 

        After the exercises the representatives from North Dakota withdrew to

another hall, where the grand lodge of North Dakota was duly organized by Harvey

J. Rice, special deputy grand sire. 

 

        Brother O. S. Basford, of Redfield, was elected grand master of the grand

lodge and Ivan W. Goodner was elected grand secretary. Brother R. R. Briggs

having declined a reelection.

 

 

                                        1891. 

 

        The sixteenth annual session was held at Yankton May 19, 1891, and was

called to order by Grand Master O. S. Basford, sixty-two lodges being

represented and seven past grand masters present. Four Rebekah lodges had been

instituted during the year, viz: Colfax Rebekah Lodge, No. 9, at Huron;

Evangeline Rebekah Lodge, No. 10, at DeSmet; Esther Rebekah Lodge, No. 11, at

Woonsocket; Fountain Rebekah Lodge, No. 12, at Yankton. The grand secretary's

report showed 3,122 active members and $7,083.49 paid for relief. In addition to

this amount, $8,241.98 was paid out as special relief for seed grain to members

in drought districts, making a total of $15,325.47. H. A. Piper, of Hill City,

was elected grand master and Ivan W. Goodner, grand secretary. 

 

 

                                        1892.

 

        The seventeenth annual session was held at Madison and was presided over

by H. A. Piper, grand master. Sixty-four lodges were represented and seven past

grand masters were in attendance. Five lodges were instituted during the year:

No. 114, at Revillo; No. 115, at Webster; No. 116, at Letcher; Rebekah Lodge,

No. 13, at Iroquois; Rebekah Lodge, No. 14, at Hot Springs. The amount paid for

relief during the year was $7,451.30. 

 

        The first death among the past grand masters occurred March 17, 1892, it

being that of Justus A. Wallace, at his home in Elk Point. Brother Wallace was

an earnest Odd Fellow in its truest and fullest sense and was greatly missed.

George W. Snow was elected grand master and Ivan W. Goodner retained as grand

secretary. 

 

 

                                        1893. 

 

        The eighteenth annual session was held at Sioux Falls May 16, 1893, and

was presided over by George W. Snow, grand master. Seventy five lodges were

represented. During the year eight new subordinate lodges and seven Rebekah

lodges were instituted, viz: No. 177, at Doland; No. 118, at Hill City; No. 119,

at Belle Fourche; No. 120, at Bristol ; No. 121, at Custer ; No. 122, at

Worthing; No. 123, at Fulton; No. 124, at Elkton; Rebekah Lodge, No. 15, at

Bristol; Rebekah Lodge, No. 16, at Milbank; Rebekah Lodge, No. 17, at Canton;

Rebekah Lodge, No. 18, at Miller; Rebekah Lodge, No. 19, at Carthage; Rebekah

Lodge, No. 20, at Hitchcock; Rebekah Lodge, No. 21, at Dell Rapids. $6,894.07

had been paid for relief by the lodges during the year. C. J. Bach was elected

grand master and Ivan W. Goodner, grand secretary. 

 

 

                                        1894. 

 

        The nineteenth annual session was held in Sioux Falls May 15, 1894, and

continued the usual three days, C. J. Bach, grand master, presiding. Seventy-

eight lodges were represented. During the year one new subordinate lodge and

three new Rebekah lodges were instituted, viz: No. 125, at Hartford; Rebekah

Lodge, No. 22, at Revillo; Rebekah Lodge, No. 23, at Mitchell; Rebekah Lodge,

No. 24, at Pierre. $7,245.85 had been paid for relief. Brother N. C. Nash, of

Canton, was elected grand master. Brother Ivan W. Goodner, who had served four

years as grand secretary, declined a reelection on account of other duties, and

Harvey J. Rice, past grand master, of Huron, was unanimously elected grand

secretary. 

 

 

                                        1895. 

 

        The twentieth annual session met at Yankton May 21, 1895, and was called

to order by N. C. Nash, grand master, eighty-five lodges being represented.

Seven subordinate lodges and eight Rebekah lodges had been instituted during the

year, viz: No. 126, at Chamberlain; No. 127, at Waubay; No. 128, at Alcester;

No. 129, at Westport; No. 130, at Beresford; No. 131, at Edgemont; No. 132, at

LaDelle; Rebekah Lodge, No. 25, at Elkton; Rebekah Lodge, No. 26, at Brookings;

Rebekah Lodge, No. 27, at Gettysburg; Rebekah Lodge, No. 28, at Vermilion;

Rebekah Lodge, No. 29, at Plankinton; Rebekah Lodge, No. 30, at Oelrichs;

Rebekah Lodge, No. 31, at Worthing; Rebekah Lodge, No. 32, at Frederick.

$5,912.67 had been paid for relief. 455 new members had been admitted. Brother

George W. Freeman, who for twelve years had been grand chaplain of the grand

lodge, died at his home in Elk Point March 13, 1895. Willis E. Benedict was

elected grand master and Harvey T. Rice. grand secretary. 

 

 

                                        1896. 

 

        The twenty-first annual session met at Hot Springs May 19, 1896, and was

called to order by the grand master, Willis E. Benedict. Eight past grand

masters were present and representatives from eighty-four subordinate lodges.

During the year three subordinate lodges and seventeen Rebekah lodges were

organized, viz: No. 133, at Hermosa; No. 134, at Wilmot; No. 135, at White;

Rebekah No. 33, at Parker; Rebekah No. 34, at Edgemont; Rebekah No. 35, at

Hartford; Rebekah No. 36, at Sturgis; Rebekah No. 37, at Groton; Rebekah No. 38,

at Waubay; Rebekah No. 39, at Alcester; Rebekah No. 40, at Beresford; Rebekah

No. 41, at Hurley; Rebekah No. 42, at Custer; Rebekah No. 43, at Webster;

Rebekah No. 44, at Central City; Rebekah No. 45, at Gary; Rebekah No. 46, at Big

Stone City; Rebekah No. 47, at Rapid City; Rebekah No. 48, at Bristol; Rebekah

No. 49, at Hill City. The total relief paid by lodges during the year was

$5,57I.74. Ivan W. Goodner, of Pierre, was elected grand master by the unanimous

vote of the grand lodge and Harvey J. Rice was reelected grand secretary by

acclamation. 

 

        It was decided to establish an Odd Fellows Home, for which nine trustees

were elected, viz: For three years, A. E. Clough, P. G. M., H. A. Piper, P. G.

M., and I. W. Goodner, P. G. M.; for two years, S. E. Wilson, of No. 112, J. W.

Abbott, of No. 115, and N. C. Nash, P. G. M.; for one year, George W. Snow, P.

G. M., C. J. Each. P. G. M., and M. A. Heath, of No. 53. 

 

 

                                        1897. 

 

The twenty-second annual session was held at Aberdeen May 18, 1897. Present,

Ivan W. Goodner, grand master, and all of the grand officers, ten past grand

masters and representatives from eighty lodges. Two Rebekah lodges were

instituted during the year, viz: Rebekah No. 50, at Warner, and Rebekah No. 51,

at Aberdeen. Voluntary contributions for the Home fund were received amounting

to $645.54. $7,759.84 was paid by lodges for relief. Peter Marquart, of Madison,

was chosen for grand master and Harvey J. Rice, grand secretary. L. D. F. Poore,

past grand master, died May 25, 1897. 

 

 

                                        1898. 

 

The twenty-third annual session was held at Sioux Falls May 17, 1898, and was

called to order by Peter Marquart, grand master, all grand officers being

present, and seventy-nine lodges being represented. The following new lodges

were chartered: No. 136, at Erwin; Rebekah No. 52, at Springfield; Rebekah No.

53 (German), at Sioux Falls; Rebekah No. 54, at Volga; Rebekah No. 55, at

Wilmot; Rebekah No. 56, at Columbia; Rebekah No. 57, at Hermosa; Rebekah No. 58,

at White; Rebekah No. 59, at Howard; Rebekah No. 60, at Westport; Rebekah No.

61, at Bryant; Rebekah No. 62, at Lennox; Rebekah No. 63, at Mellette; Rebekah

No. 64, at Tyndall. Total relief paid by lodges, $6,372.24. L. L. Lostutter, of

Iroquois, was elected grand master and Harvey J. Rice, grand secretary. 

 

 

                                        1899. 

 

        The twenty-fourth annual session was held at Huron May 16, 1899, Brother

L. L. Lostutter, grand master, with ten past grand masters and eighty-four

representatives present. Two subordinate and four Rebekah lodges were instituted

during the year, viz: No. 137, at Terry; No. 138, at Keystone; Rebekah No. 65,

at Kimball; Rebekah No. 66, at Flandreau; Rebekah No. 67, at Salem; Rebekah No.

68, at White Lake. There had been paid for relief by-lodges, $7,318.72. The Home

fund on May 1, 1899, amounted to $1,961.09.  Benjamin F. Teall, of Belle

Fourche, was elected grand master and Harvey J. Rice, grand secretary, both by a

unanimous vote. 

 

 

                                        1900. 

 

        The twenty-fifth annual session was held at Mitchell May 15, 1900, and was

presided over by Grand Master B. F. Teall. Eleven past grand masters were

present and representatives from ninety lodges. Seven subordinate and twelve

Rebekah lodges were chartered during the year, viz: No. 139, at Fairfax; No.

140, at Whitewood; No. 141, at Conde; No. 142 at Ethan; No. 143, at Valley

Springs; No. 144, at Clear Lake; No. 145, at Castlewood; Rebekah No. 69, at

Terry; Rebekah No. 70, at Erwin; Rebekah No. 71, at Lake Preston; Rebekah No.

72, at Fulton; Rebekah No. 73, at Conde; Rebekah No. 74, at Marion; Rebekah No.

75, at Redfield; Rebekah No. 76, at LaDelle; Rebekah No. 77, at Parkston;

Rebekah No. 78, at Chamberlain; Rebekah No. 79, at Key Stone; Rebekah No. 3, at

Alexandria. This last Rebekah lodge was instituted in place of the old lodge at

Alexandria of the same number, which became defunct in 1888. During the year

$648.93 was added to the Home fund. $7,032.63 was paid for relief. The grand

lodge paid the dues of all the members who had enlisted in the volunteer service

of the United States for the Spanish war. Theron G. Brown, of DeSmet, was

elected grand master anti Harvey J. Rice, grand secretary, the latter by

acclamation. 

 

 

                                        1901.  

 

        The twenty-sixth annual session was held at Canton May 21, 1901, Theron G.

Brown, grand master, presiding. Ten past grand masters present and eighty-nine

representatives. One subordinate and three Rebekah lodges had been instituted

during the year, viz: No. 146, at Canistota; Rebekah Lodge No. 80, at

Centerville; Rebekah Lodge No. 81, at Clear Lake; Rebekah Lodge No. 82, at

Highmore. The Home fund had increased $770.63, making a total on hand May 1,

1901, of $3,380.65. Lodges had paid for relief the sum of $9,126.13, $351.00

having been sent to the Galveston sufferers. James R. Sharp, of Rapid City, was

elected grand master and Harvey T. Rice, grand secretary. 

 

 

                                        1902. 

 

        The twenty-seventh annual session was held at Lead City May 20, 1902,

James R. Sharp,  grand master, presiding, twelve past grand masters being

present and ninety-three lodges represented. Two new subordinate lodges were

instituted during the year, viz: No. 147, at Langford, and No. 148, at Winfred.

A Rebekah lodge was instituted at Pierre, taking the same number of a prior one

at this place, which had become defunct. Total relief paid by lodges was

$8,622.63. Received for the Home fund $1,584.45, making a total on hand May 1,

1902, of $4,965.10. James C. Calder, of Plankinton, was unanimously elected

grand master and Harvey J. Rice, grand secretary, by acclamation. 

 

 

                                        1903. 

 

        The twenty-eighth annual session was held at Watertown May 19, 1903, James

C. Calder, grand master, presiding, thirteen past grand masters being present

and ninety-six. representatives from lodges. Four subordinate lodges were

instituted during the year, viz: No. 149, at Platte; No. 150, at Broadland; No.

151, at Virgil; No. 152, at Ramona. Two deaths occurred during the year in the

official roster of the grand lodge, viz: Brother B. F. Teall, past grand master

and grand representative to the sovereign grand lodge, who died at his home in

Belle Fourche November 5, 1892, and Brother J. J. McIntire, grand chaplain, who

died at East Sioux Falls December 20, 1902. $8,484.33 had been paid for relief

by lodges. $1,525.31 had been added to the Home fund, making a total May 1,

1903, of $6,400.41. Dyer H. Campbell was unanimously elected grand master and

Harvey J. Rice, grand secretary. The twenty-ninth annual session will be held at

Yankton May 17-18-19, 1904. 

 

        During the twenty-eight years of existence of the grand lodge, the grand

master-elect has called the session to order. Three past grand masters have

died; three have become members of North Dakota by division; three have

permanently left the jurisdiction, while the other eighteen are still active

members. 

 

        Brother Zina Richey, past grand master, one of the most earnest and

respected members, has attended every session from the beginning and holds the

honor of being the only one who has answered every roll call since 1875. The

following shows the attendance of the past grand masters in their order, who

still hold membership in South Dakota:

Ezra W. Miller, eighteen sessions;

Norman Learned, six sessions;

Zina Richey, consecutively, twenty-nine sessions;

A. E. Clough, sixteen sessions;

Harvey J. Rice, consecutively, twenty sessions;

A. G. Smith, thirteen sessions;

F. S. Emerson, consecutively, twenty sessions;

O. S. Basford, eight sessions;

H. A. Piper, eight sessions;

George W. Snow, twenty three sessions;

C. J. Bach, seventeen sessions;

N. C. Nash, sixteen sessions;

W. E. Benedict, consecutively, twelve sessions;

I. W. Goodner, eight sessions;

Peter Marquart, ten sessions;

L. L. Lostutter, fourteen sessions;

Theron G. Brown, eleven sessions;

James R. Sharp, consecutively, seven sessions;

James C. Calder, twelve sessions. 

 

        There have been five grand secretaries, viz:

 

Ralph R. Briggs, who served from 1875 to 1883, when he served one year as grand

master, and was reelected grand secretary in 1885 and served until 1890, when he

declined further election, having served in that capacity thirteen years.

 

Frank S. Emerson was elected in 1883 and served one year.

 

E. M. Fuller was elected in 1884 and served one year.

 

Ivan W. Goodner was elected in 1890 and held the office until 1894, when he

declined a reelection, having served four years.

 

Harvey J. Rice was elected in 1894 and has served nine years and is the present

incumbent, having been elected by acclamation every year except one. 

 

        In the rank and file there are many zealous and faithful workers who

deserve credit and mention, but space will not permit. Leaving the grand lodge,

we will briefly take up the other branches. 

 

THE REBEKAH BRANCH. 

 

        The first state convention of the Rebekah branch of the order in South

Dakota was held at Deadwood May 20, 1890, pursuant to a call of the grand

master, A. E. Nugent. 

 

        Sister Nannie E. Smith, of Lead City, was elected temporary president;

thirteen representatives were present from the several lodges. The total

membership of this branch at this time was one hundred and sixty-one; number of

lodges, six. A constitution was adopted. Nannie E. Smith was elected president

and Emma L. Court, secretary. 

 

        In 1895 the name was changed from Rebekah Convention to Rebekah Assembly

of South Dakota, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and a charter was issued by

the grand lodge as such. 

 

        The following are the presidents in the order named:

 

Mrs. Nannie E. Smith, Deadwood, 1890-1;

Mrs. May D. McDonald, Sioux Falls, 1891-2;

Mrs. P. E. W. Walton, Huron, 1892-3;

Mrs. Sarah Fuller, Lead, 1893-4;

Mrs. Ernie E. Richey, Yankton, 1894-5;

Mrs. Hattie B. Borland, Madison, 1895-6;

Mrs. Grace Sutphen, Huron, 1896-7;

Mrs. Florence M. Jones, Britton, 1897-8;

Miss Helen Baker, Deadwood, 1898-9;

Mrs. Hanna C. Cripps, Iroquois, 1899-1900;

Mrs. Hattie L. Bradley, DeSmet, 1900-1;

Mrs. Maude I. Benedict, Custer, 1901-2;

Mrs. Ella Kingery, Parker, 1902-3;

Mrs. Sallie M. Patton, Sioux Falls, 1903-4. 

 

        The secretaries have been as follows:

 

Mrs. Emma L. Court, Spearfish, 1890-1-2;

Mrs. Jennie B. Cunningham, Sioux Falls, 1892-3;

Mrs. Ernie E. Richey, Yankton, 1893-4;

Mrs. Florence M. Jones, Britton, 1894-5-6;

Miss Helen Baker Deadwood, 1896-7;

Mrs. Adeline Alexander, Elkton, 1897-8;

Mrs. Ella Abbott, Waubay, 1898-9-1900-1-2;

Mrs. Maude L. Patterson, Gettysburg, 1902-3;

Miss Rose Blanche Spaulding, Huron, 1903-4. 

 

        In 1903 there were seventy-nine Rebekah lodges, with a membership of

3,484, comprised of 2,166 sisters and 1,318 brothers. The Rebekah degree was

started as a mere side degree, but has become one of the most important factors.

in the work of Odd fellowship. 

 

THE ENCAMPMENT BRANCH.

 

        The grand encampment of South Dakota, Independent Order of Odd Fellows,

was organized at Yankton, August 10, 1881, the following encampments being

represented: Royal Purple, No. 1, of Sioux Falls; Yankton, No. 2, of Yankton;

Hesperian, No. 3, of Elk Point; Golden Rule, No. 4, of Bismarck; Black Hills,

No. 5, of Deadwood, Sinai, No. 6, of Fargo. F. S. Emerson, of Sioux Falls, was

elected grand patriarch and AL. E. Ronne, grand scribe. This session then

adjourned to meet at same place October 12th at which session a constitution and

set of by-laws was adopted. D. S. Dodds was elected grand patriarch and R. R.

Briggs, grand scribe. 

 

        The following brothers have held the office of grand patriarch for the

years designated:

 

F. S. Emerson, of Sioux Falls, 1881;

D. S. Dodds, of Grand Forks, 1882-3;

William A. Blatt, of Yankton, 1883-4;

Ezra W. Miller, of Elk Point, 1884-5;

George W. Snow, of Springfield, 1885-6;

S. E. Blauvelt, of Sioux Falls, 1886-7;

T. A. Robinson, of Sioux Falls, 1887-8;

J. T. Wooley, of Ashton, 1888-9;

A. S. Dam, of Frederick, 1889-90;

George W. Mathews, of Sioux Falls, 1890-91;

Aug. C. Witts, of Aberdeen, 1891-2;

E. P. Mesmer, of Ashton, 1892-3;

I. W. Goodner, of Pierre, 1893-4;

Fred Schnauber, of Yankton, 1894-5;

M. A. Heath, of Groton, 1895-6;

C. H. Tinkham, of DeSmet, 1896-7;

D. S. Waldo, of Canton, 1897-8;

George T. Grove, of Huron, 1898-9;

George H. Waskey, of Madison, 1899-1900;

C F. DeMouth, of Deadwood, 1900-1;

W. J. Mattice, of Brookings, 1901-2;

E. Y. Lane, of Watertown, 1902-3;

C. H. Blow, of Dell Rapids,  1903-4. 

 

        The grand scribes have been:

 

A. R. Ronne, of Elk Point, 1881;

R. R. Briggs, of Sioux Falls, 1882-3-4-6-7-8-9;

E. M. Fuller, of Bismarck, 1885;

I. W. Goodner, of Pierre, 1890-1-2-3;

J. A. Ward, of Sioux Falls, 1894-5;

George W. Waskey, of Madison, 1896-7-8-9-1900-1901;

Harvey J. Rice, of Huron, 1902-3-4. 

 

        For years the order struggled along, gaining little ground, but the few

faithful ones were never discouraged, always remembering the watchword "Go on,"

and today this order stands on the proud eminence of being considered one of the

foremost benevolent institutions of the age. It employs no trumpets to sound its

praise, but is quietly fulfilling its mission of relieving human misery and

trying to lift mankind onto higher ground. Having for its foundation principle

"The Fatherhood of God and the Brotherhood of Man," it marches on, noiselessly

gaining in numbers and public esteem, as the years come and go.