MARGIE CHOE (ELLIOTT)SANKEY

Return to Harding County home page


Margie, the daughter of Willis Edmond Elliott and Adeline (Addie) Harris (1851-1938), was born near Turner, Holt County, Nebraska August 16, 1888. She was the youngest of the four Elliott sisters, Nellie Florence, Jessie, and Edna Francis. A brother Charles died as a very young child. As of this date,1/18/03, the Elliott family lineage has been traced back to Charles Elliott, who left Ireland sometime between October 1891, when his daughter Nancy was born, and removed to Pennsylvania, Washington County, before 1893 when his son Hugh was born, arriving in Ohio, Knox County, Clay Township, the town of Martindale, sometime before his death there in1836. His son Andrew, and Andrew’s son George Melick Elliott moved the family from Ohio across Iowa, to Webster County,  Fort Dodge where in 1876 Willis married Adeline Harris. Willis and Addie moved  west ward, arriving in Nebraska, Holt County, sometime before the birth of there third daughter ,Edna  born near Eagle Springs. The family moved to South Dakota, the town of Whitewood about 1891. Here Willis ran a blacksmith shop and built or help build many of the stone building in that place, Willis moved the family to a ranch near Sturgis, Meade County in about 1894. The girls attended the Spring Creek School, here. About 1898 the family moved to Harding County, Reva Gap. Willis built a number of stone and sod houses in the area. One known as “ The Rock Ranch” later became the Lacey Post office and something of a tourist attraction. In 1901, Willis moved the family to North Dakota, Bowmen County, the town of Haley. In 1908 in Buffalo, Margie married Charles Oliver Sankey, {son of John and Arabella (Ward) Sankey. The Sankey’s ran a road ranch and hauled freight in Harding until 1911, it was sold to Arabella’s brother, Matt Ward}. Margie and Charles moved from their homestead in North Dakota, where their sons, Fred, Ira and Harry were born, back to South Dakota , Pringle, in about 1924. There Charles  worked in the timber and Margie cooked for boarding houses. The family moved to Butte County, Belle Fourche in 1927. Charles worked for the railroad and herded sheep in the area. Margie work at the Hampton and Don Pratt Hotels until she retired. Much of her retirement was spent painting , horses and wild life of Northwestern South Dakota. Margie died in Belle Fourche, August 17, 1961, and is buried in the Pineslope Cemetery, there.


Return to Harding County home page