Lyman County, South Dakota Genealogy
Marlys Cosgrove-Swanson, Lyman county native, originally compiled data for the Lyman county schools for publication of the three-county (Lyman, Brule and Buffalo) history book, "Of Rails and Trails, a centennial journey", written by members and friends of the Lyman-Brule Genealogical Society in 1989. Some data may be duplicated, but better duplicated than omitted.
Teacher’s chores: Instructions to teachers of Dakota Territory.
1. Teachers will fill the lamps and clean the chimneys of the lamps
Note: During this time, a teacher’s pay was $25 per month.
Dirkstown School, - organized in 1895 with 11 students. Leona Hickey, teacher, term 59 days. Located on Sec. 4, Twp 104 Range 74. Dixon, White McManus, Mckenzie, Dirks, Altig, Lester, Drido, Johnson, Beers, Mohr, Thompson, Washburn and Wheeler children.
Pleasant View School on Bartholow land, 1907. Monson, Bartholow, Rockafellow, Lester, Eymer. Walker, Lloyd and Myers families children. Aka the Rose School.
Mayflower School, south of Reliance near the Diess place, later moved to the Vern Miller place. Diess, Wagaman, Miller, Rohrbuck, Cullen, Dutro, Murphy, Yerkas, Hoffer and Frey children.
Lyman School, Delores McManus was only student to attend all years at this school, graduating from high school. Two story building with all rooms occupied at one time. Anderson, Moore, McManus, Lester, Turey, White, Berg, Porterfield, Eymer, Diess, Hooker, Cross and Hoffer. White River School District #4
Walker School, 1922, 17 students from Boling, Bowar, Eleeson, Keller, Smith and Seidel families.
Miller School, 1922. Tagtow, Somers, .Lammers, Kreinbuhl, Rose, Gray, Beshaw and Davis children.
Bull Creek School, 18 miles south of Reliance along Highway 47, Ellis, Hammerbeck, Baumgartner, Dobbin, Yates and Kenzy children.
Norway School District #5
Hamiel School, 1935. North of Reliance. Hamiel, Black, Gifford children.
Norway School, was once part of the Oacoma School District until 1895, so is one of Lyman County’s oldest schools. First school on Straka farm northeast of Reliance. AKA Lindley schoolhouse in 1938, Crane School, and Hanson School. Hamiel, Lafferty, Woster, Bunker, Christensen, Reuer, Fuegen and Blum families. Eventually became part of Chamberlain School District, Brule County.
Dodge School, no information.
Lewis School District #6
Iona School, one of the earliest schools in the district. Had a two-year high school course Kennedy. Lulf, Miller, Salzman, Thompson, Walker, Sheldon, Ham, Plak, Mye and Houton families. In 1962, Miss Helen Recoy was teacher.
Star School, 1900. Three-month terms. In 1962, 12 students enrolled.
Lincoln School, Russell, Troth and Bowie children.
Lone Butte School,
McKinley School, 22 students in 1923. Built in 1902.
Ham School, Fenenga, Rasmussen, Feyereisen and Johnson children
Cooper School District #7 (First school in 1894. )
Larsen School aka Cooper School, 1919-1924 , children: Larson, Stallman, Fletcher, Hodgin, Ayers, Humphreys, Murphy, Swanson, Peterson, Johnson, Albery children (1903). 1924 students as listed in booklet below: Peterson, Waldron, Murphy, Stallman, Lester. By late '40s, Cosgrove, Wagner, Stewart, Hoffer, Larsen, Stallman. Others over the years: Wilson, Cooper, Brown, Smith. Lewis, Pilker, Nelson, Plin, Graves, Mason, Tagtow, Traxel, Ferdig, Negabauer, Byre, Edinger, Baker, Harder, Hessler, Bouges, Morgenthauler, Schmidt, Reuer and Washburn. School closed in mid-1990s. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Medicine Creek School District #8, aka Gilman School, Gilman, Larson, Chrans and Altig children. aka Murphy School. By 1962, only three children attending.
Hotch City School District #10
Moore School, In 1923, Moore, Gardner, Neuhaus, Lester, King and Takes children
Speilman School. By 1940, only two schools remained.
Earling School District #22
New Lincoln, Pleasant Hill, West Earling and Lien schools- Church used as a school early 1900s. Fifth and sixth grade students finished course in Physiology in 1923. Campbell, Melenbrink, Husman Huston, Hammon, Mertens, Walters, Mieds, Abrahamson, Kortrum, Lien, Harmon, Roth, Sandvicks, Steinstruds, Olson, Erickson, Brays, Johnson, Anderson, Brakke.
Houston School District #12
Two schools in early 1920s. Children of Freelove, Glass, Hollenback, Langdon, Freeman, Clark, Keaton, Stoops, Clemens, Paine, Baker and Mohr families.
Presho School District #13
Corkhill School, 1906, Anderson, Corkhill, Monson and Vernon children. Aka Dybing School.
Sider School held in tar paper shack, 1905. Jane Sider would leave her shack during the day so the children could go to school. May, Dow, Jensen, Brennan, Sider, Fiske, Howe, Kepplers and Hobbs.
Moe School and Comp School also in district.
Lower Brule School District #14
Allen School, Fort Hale School. Thompson, Pilker, Carpenter, DeSmet. Frazier, Johnson and Bauer children. Flavia Hodgin may have been the first teacher in this school..
Cedar Creek School- Hawk, LaRoche, Jandreau, High Elk and Big Heart children.
Roeser School - Roeser, Garman, Williams, Dorman and Bailey. Baille, Werner, Creighton and Evans children. Aka Bailey School.
Peterson School - in operation only three years. Gladys Stewart teacher. Peterson, King and Kingsley children.
Prairie Star School - 1919 - Dinehart School - Satterlee and Dinehart children
Black Dog School - Schaefer, Reuer, Jandreau. Destroyed by fire.
Riverside School District # 15
Riverside School, 1900 near the White River. Closed 1950, Halvorsgaard, Anderson, Claussen, Deegan, Schervem,Knutson, Shiplor.
Lund School District #16
North Lund School-Lillie, Engen, Strom, Cole and Lien children.
East Lund School - early 20s. Hulce, May, Knutson, Moore and Strickler.
Lund School, 1922- Darling, Fay, Brown, Pringle Lalemer, Authier, Diedrich and Cole.
Pleasant School District #17
Pleasant Hill School, some children taught - Schultz, Ellefsen, Stenson, Terca and Wachter.
Moore Township #18
Jackson School, 1922. 3 ˝ month school term. Lantz, Myers, Blacken, Hamelson,Jackson and Roberts children.
West Moore School only had four students from the Williams family.
Hilmoe School District # 20
Swinson School, 1906. Juhnke, Lillebo, Gracing, Brown, Stoops and Unhen. 1922-23 students- Oller, Erickson, Laumbach, Dahl and Ambur.
Hilmoe School - Longview School, Schoulte School. By 1962, Seachris Selland, Roberts, Schoulte and Burger children.
Vivian School District #21
Vivian School, 1907 new school. 1920 high school added. 1922, 133 students. 1962, 81, and by 1970 students began attending classes in other schools.
Sweeney #26 Rose Center School, Had 33 pupils at one time. Was still operating in 1962 with 23 students.
Edna School District #27
Edna School, 1910 Sioux School #22, at one time, 19 students were taught by Arlo Huffman. Cedar Valley School #24 - in northern section of Lyman County. Schaeffer #25 - Rose School, Whitford, Mason, Volstad, Jones and Hamer Gibson School - 1922- Manhalter, Huston, Mertens and Thomson. Ten students remain in 1962.
Edna Township #27 Edna School, started in 1906. 1910 photo with Levi, Dugan, Walker, Kineen, Swinson, Morgan and Paine children. Nelson School, 1922 - Cole Schulz, Bennett, Cotton and Spray. By 1940, Boyd Wright and Ethel Cole, teachers.
Tracy School District# 27 cannot be found on school district maps anymore, but was listed in reports from the state archives. Two schools- Cartwright School with Moore, Metzger, Thomas, Bush and
Wilson children; Kincannon School with Bush, Rabern, Dixon, Reed and Hook children.
Annin Township # 28, 1906, West Annin School - Wolfe, Jessop, Fry, Sturm, Ross, Cropsey, O’Toole and Goldsmith children; East Annin, 1908 - In 1922 - 23: Dolan, Frasier, Beckman, Leichtnam, Gertje, Jessop, Toplin children.
Dorman District #29, Hermanson School, West Dorman still in use in 1962 by Anderson and Moore families; North Dorman records 17 students in 1923.
Hieb School Dist. # 34, Early turn of the century in White River Bottom, Fletcher, Lebselter, Lorenz and Rohrback children. Hieb School, 1920, Hieb, Frey, Hoffer and Schooler. Aka Roosevelt School (named after President Roosevelt,) Schooler School, Erickson School. Hieb School closed in 1952 and children went to Roosevelt School. The Bellwood School first held in log cabin with dirt floor and dirt roof, on Bellwood Creek. Schooler, Moulton Johnson, Erickson, Peterson, Smoot and Burull children. Hoffer, Kindopp and Schelske children attended Roosevelt School. Lund School, 1908, east of Carl Lund place- Cegley, Lund, Jensen and LeBarge children (photo.) On land owned by Schwenk.
Rowe School Dist. # 35 - Rowe School, early 20s, 13 students. Bartel School- Hartlan, Patter, Sehflet and Kenyon children; Fairview School- Smith, Eldridge, Wagener and Urquhart children.
Stony Butte School Dist. #36 East Stony Butte School, 1903- Bush, King, Rachel and Goodwin children; East Stony Butte School moved in 1923 to be centralized for the Wells, Weverstadt, Boal, Murphy, Bower, Scott and Johnson children - located near Vivian and closed in 1938. West Stony Butte School, in 1920, Wells, Shirks, Kennedy, McLaughlin, Radamakers, Phiffer, Bensley, Burnett, Schrimer, Joesmyer, Lindvedt and Horsley children. Closed in 1937. Informational history on both schools and the teachers.
Grouse Creek Dist. #45- Chamberlain School, Heston School with Halverson, Blacker and Gilman children; Washburn and Young Schools had Van De Drink, Norton, Campbell, Bingham, Young, Manger and Johnson children.
Cloud School Dist. #46. Schools located north of Reliance near Medicine Butte (North Cloud and South Cloud) - 1922 shows Hamiel, Pease, Banks at Donelan School and Haase, Kenobbie and Andersons at the House School.
Brule Dist. #53, First school in Arthur Muchow’s claim shack. Urban, Ehler, Evan, Meriam, McCullough, children. In 1922-23, children - Ehler, Nichel, Underwood and Urban
Cedar School Dist. #54,- Wagner, Frey, DeBolt, Langdeau, Tomea, Mueller and Smith children.
.Rosebud School Dist. #55, Wolcott School -about 1910 . No names. 1922, Wolcott, Skogsberg, Schooler and Mosier children. Lingren School - Sondegard, Larson children and others. History.
Fairview School Dist. #56 North School, 1922,
Hannet School, Fool Hawk, Rohwer, Hannet, Beranek and Hill children;
North Fairview School, 1962 - Fott, Kubik, Farmer and Gran children;
South Fairview - Ritter, Rohwer and Hannet children, same year. "Gumbo College", circa 1915, was a tar paper shack located on the north creek NW of the present-day (1989) Richard Reuer Ranch southeast of Reliance. Burned in 1925. Children: Hanson, Powers, Young,
Hills and Hendrickson.
This website Copyright © 1996-2009 by barbara