Tripp County, South Dakota
Danton Post Office Authorized
Danton was located in Lake Township on the D.L. P. Lamb homestead in NW 1/4 of Section 1. The post office was authorized November 24, 1909, and Mr. Lamb was appointed postmaster.
As soon as the postmaster appointment was received, the Lambs, who were operationg a hardware store in McNeely, South Dakota, moved their store building from McNeely to their homestead and started the town of Danton. At one time Danton had a post office and store, a cream station and a livery stable.
Photo by Edward E. Manchester
The mail was brought from Dallas, South Dakota at first; but beginning March 10, 1910, the mail was conveyed by the Chicago Northwestern Railroad to Colome and dispatched from there to Danton and other offices east of Colome.
Mr. & Mrs. Lamb
Mr. and Mrs. Lamb had three teenage sons and their store, like most early stores, was the gathering place for the homesteaders.
Mr. Lamb had been a federal oil inspector for many years before drawing his homestead number.
Post Office Discontinued
The post office was discontinued on May 13, 1913, but the store continued until Mr. and Mrs. Lamb moved to a farm near Bassett, Nebraska, in 1916 or 1917.
Photo by Edward E. Manchester
St. Patrick Catholic Church
The Danton St. Patrick Catholic Church, built in 1922, was located one and one half miles west and four miles south of the town of Danton in the southwest corner of Section 23 on the homestead land of John Kartak. This land is now owned by Lloyd Kartak, John's son.
P. H. London was the contractor and Lin Ballard, the carpenter. The first priest was Father Erdly and Father Robert Erenbold was the last priest to say mass in that church. Mrs. Lucille Flynn played the organ during the 20's, 30's and 40's.
German Congregational Church & Cemetery
In the next mile west of St. Patrick's Church stood the sod German Congregational Church and cemetery. There is only one identifiable grave and it is that of the grandfather of Mrs. Harold Hrabanek, Wm. Brunsch.
Turtle Butte Hall
A quarter mile south in the southwest corner of the field stood the Turtle Butte Hall built in 1922-23 by the people of the community and surrounding area located on land owned by Hans Jorgenson.
The first president was N. M. Peterson; Vice President, Paul Johnson; Secretary, John Hrabanek; Treasurer, E. E. Owens. Directors were S. M. Smith, Frank Hrabanek and Earl Johnson.
One of the main money making projects was the three-act comedy "Deacon Dobbs." It was presented by members from the Turtle Butte area. The play was directed by Martha (Smith) Kenaston, teacher in the Turtle Butte School in 1920-22-23. Characters in the play were Mr. W. P. Bird, Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Smith, Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Owens, Mrs. John (Pearl) Schweigert, Mrs. Jim (Olive) Kinzer, Mr. Otto Hauf and Mr. George Vroman. The play was presented five times; first and second performances in the Clarence Heath barn, thirds in the Harry Carlson Sr. barn, fourth in the Bartlett Saloon in Wewela, fifth in Colome's old Movie Theater.
The community enjoyed a 1923 Christmas program in the new Turtle Butte Hall which was used for dances, plays, church and all kinds of community gatherings.
The Hall incorporated Feb. 18, 1924. After twenty-five years, the township took it over and it was sold.
The curtain from the stage of the hall is hanging in the Tripp County Historical Museum.
[Submitted by RM, Tripp County Historical Society]
All data on this website is Copyright with full rights reserved for original submitters.