Tripp County South Dakota
Other Newspaper Articles

Arranged in Date Order


Print Date Subject Print Date Subject
May 19, 1904 Jack Sully February 25, 1908 Autos Feature In Land Rush
February 24, 1910 Crowd Attended Dance March 17, 1910 Tripp County Men
November 16, 1910 James Vyskeial - Robs Homestead Neighbors May 1911 Harry Milliard
January 22, 1916 Frank Janis May 23, 1928 Ben Butts


200 Cars Expected At Dallas For Opening

Passing Through Norfolk, Rosebud Visitor from Iowa Admitted There's Better Corn Around Dallas and Gregory Than Near Sioux City.

“Horseless carriages are competing with horses and vehicles in showing prospective settlers over the Rosebud reserve, which is soon to be open for registration," said an Iowa resident who stopped off at Norfolk today on his return home. "With a party of four I was conveyed over the land yesterday in an auto. We covered about ninety miles in the circuitous round trip, at about fifteen miles an hour. Some of the time we rolled over the prairie, but generally kept to the roads or Indian trails. Portions of the roads were bum, deep and guttered which necessitated slow driving. The charge for such an auto trip is $5 a person. This is more expensive than horse conveyance, but many prefer it because the trip can be made quicker. I was told at Dallas that 200 autos from Omaha and Sioux City will be there on the opening day, October 5, to show settlers over the country, and will remain until the rush is over. The dozen autos now in use are knocking out about $25 a day each.

This Iowa gent says that in the frenzy to get buildings up before opening day 200 carpenters are at work, und more are arriving daily.

As high as $800 is asked for lots on the un-built portion of the business street adjacent to stores already completed or under way at Dallas.

There are five completed hotels at Dallas, which are crowded now. The crush will be intensified when the big influx for registration comes. Bunk tents are already caring for the overflow, and more will be put up during the rush. One dollar is now exacted for sleeping on a cot in a hotel. "Accommodations" for two on a cot costs 50 cents for a sleeper. The Iowa gent says he didn't sleep much, it was too narrow and crowded, the night he occupied the cot with a companion. It ended by his snoozing on the hard floor.

Good Farm Land.

The Iowa man says that what corn he saw around Dallas and Gregory is better than that grown this season in the country he comes from, which is north of Sioux City.

Moving Picture Show.

A moving picture show, which opened at Dallas last night, was a relief to the strangers craving diversion and amusement. By registration day several vaudeville shows will be in operation.

Gregory Band Meets Trains.

The Gregory band was at the station Friday evening to welcome the newcomers into town. This program will probably be continued from now until after the rush.

Filling the Water Tanks.

Six big water tanks at Dallas will begin to be filled with water today by the Northwestern railroad, preparatory to the Tripp county rush. The water will all be hauled to Dallas from Herrick, where the Northwestern has made arrangements to secure its supply. The tanks full of water will be used for the locomotives and for watering the trains during the two weeks' rush.

[The Norfolk Weekly News-Journal, Published Friday, September 25, 1908]
Submitted by the Tripp County Historical Society

Harry Milliard

Harry Milliard is farming at his home in Colina, S. Dak. He expects to take up a claim in the fall.

[Educational Messenger, May 1911, submitted by RM, Tripp Co. Historical Society]

Jack Sully - Died With His Boots On

Jack Sully Has Played His last Game On The Rosebud, and Passed In His Chips.

For some time after his escape from the Mitchell jail last spring, he hung around his old haunts on the Whetstone, about 30 miles south of here. The scent got too close, and last fall he hit the trail for western Nebraska or Colorado, and took a lay-off.

The old habits were too strong and about a month ago he wandered back to this vicinity, and made a winning play for a good stake. He and others ran off about 75 steers on the Rosebud, belonging to Montgomery & Schilling, and Harry Ham, Jewell, Dillon, and others. One of the gang worked a tenderfoot from Illinois to go into partnership with him to buy a bunch of stock, and Jack brought it in. The sucker not being acquainted with brands, rules, etc., parted with $500 cash, and his note for a $1,000. This was at once cashed, and the suckers partner and the others made off with the proceeds. The theft was soon discovered, and the cattle taken from the innocent purchaser, while Jack and his pals treated themselves well at his expense.

It was a smooth game, but turned out to be Sully's undoing. Complaints were made before U.S. Commissioner Tidrick of Chamberlain, and a warrant issued. A posse was formed consisting of Deputy U.S. Marshal John Petrie, Sheriff Irish of Brule, Deputy Sheriff Jesse Brown of Lyman, and brand inspector Long of Chamberlain, to go after Sully and bring him in.

They quietly made their way here last Sunday and were joined by Harry Ham, the party leaving after midnight for Sully's castle where they had good reason to believe he was. They proceeded to Ben Diamond's ranch near Sully's place and had him go over early in the morning to warn Jack that he was surrounded and had better surrender. In the meantime Irish, Long, and Ham stationed themselves on a side hill down the creek from the house and Petrie and Brown came in from another direction.

Diamond called Sully out and told him he was surrounded by a posse, and advised him to surrender. But, he declared they could not take him and that he was good for any two of them in the open. But, he was evidently nervous as he failed to return to the house for his rifle, but started at once for the barn, having only a big revolver, and had to have Diamond help in cinching his saddle.

He rode off toward Petrie and Brown, but soon turned, either having seen them or changed his mind, and rode down the creek. When about 200 yards from the other party, not having seen them, they ordered him to halt, he being at the time between precipitous hills along the creek. He paid no attention to them, but dashed forward a little and turned up a draw and up a side hill. The three opened fire on the horse as he came toward them, and at least a couple of the shots took effect, but did not cripple the horse. As he dashed up the opposite hill they emptied their 30-30 rifles, between 20 and 25 shots being fired, but they aimed low at the horse, so as to not hit Sully, so most of the shots went under the horse, or struck him low down, but part way up the hill Sully began to lop in the saddle, and at the top he fell off. The horse went a short distance and stopped. Though hit several times in the lower part of the body he will live.

Sully was found to have been hit once in the lower part of the abdomen on the right side, the ball evidently passing just above the saddle, he was apparently hard hit and in pain. By this time Petrie and Brown joined the rest of the posse at his side, he only spoke once, asking for water, and lived but 10 or 15 minutes.

The coroner of Gregory county was summoned, and an inquest was held Monday night. On Wednesday he was buried at his old place, quite a number of his neighbors on the reserve attending.

The posse had warrants for others, and as soon as Sully died they went after them., but they had quickly got wind and all flown the coop, so they had to return without them. Last night Petrie, Brown, Irish and Long stopped here overnight on their way to Chamberlain.

Sully's end was a natural termination for such a career. For 25 years he has preyed upon others with an impunity, and could not realize that times and conditions have changed, and that this community will no longer suffer such lawlessness.

While in some respects it might have been better had he been taken alive, no blame can attach to those who brought him down. They gave him every opportunity to surrender, and when escaping they tried to avoid hitting him. It was absolutely necessary that these officers do as they did, and that the lawless gang that infests Gregory and Lyman counties be taught that man just as nervy as they can be sent after them and get them, dead if not alive. And many here have felt for some time that a few killings would do more to rid up the country than a dozen courts.

[Published Thursday, May 19, 1904, submitted by Royce, Tripp County. Historical Society]

Notes: Using the paper date, Jack Sully died Monday, May 16, 1904, was buried on May 18, 1904....Hall

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Killed by Officers While Resisting Arrest Last Monday Morning

Jack Sully, who for many years had been the king of cattle rustlers in South Dakota, was killed last Monday morning at his ranch on the Rosebud reservation while attempting to escape from officers who had surrounded his home.

Sully has been a resident of this part of the state for a number of years, and is well and personally known to many Bonesteel citizens. His family has made this town their trading point for some time, and while Jack himself has not been seen here, many of our citizens have visited at his ranch, and always found him most hospitable. The fact that he was killed while resisting arrest does not surprise those who knew him, as he has repeatedly stated that he would never be taken alive.

Below we give an account of the affair as published by the Sioux City Journal, the first report and the coroner's jury. Dr. Kenaston, coroner of Gregory Co., visited the ranch Monday evening and confirms the statements as given in the Journal, with the exception that Sully did not fire any shots himself as the report would seen to indicate. Dr. Kenaston said he was satisfied the officers gave Sully every chance to surrender and a chance for his life, even when he attempted to escape, and that his death was thoroughly justified.

Chamberlain, S. D., May 18. Special.
The notorious desperado, Jack Sully, who for many years has been the terror of the Rosebud country, is no more. In a running fight with officers on the Rosebud reservation this morning he was killed, many bullets finding lodgment in his body, while the horse upon which he attempted to make his escape also shared the fate of the master.

The circumstances leading up to the tragic end are these: a week or ten days ago Sully stole a bunch of nearly 200 cattle belonging to various neighboring ranchers. He took a bunch of seventy-four down across the Nebraska line and sold them for $20 per head, receiving half cash and half paper. He cashed the paper. Soon after Brand inspector Long got track of the cattle and accompanied by their owners, Harry Ham and Hugo Schilling, recovered them and returned them to the home range.

As a result of the exploit, United States Commissioner Tidrick of this city, on Sunday morning sent out Deputy United States Marshal Petrie, Brand inspector Long, Sheriff Irish of Brule county, Deputy Sheriff Jesse Brown of Lyman county, and Harry Ham to bring in Sully, dead or alive.

They found Sully at his home, near Bluebird Island, this morning, and attempted to make the arrest. Sully was ordered to surrender, but with a defiant taunt he made a break for his horse, sprang upon its back and made a dash for liberty. For a time a running fire was maintained between the parties, but the pursuers speedily proved the victors. Sully's horse was hit five times and killed, while Sully received wounds from which he died within thirty-five minutes.

A Coroner's inquest is now in progress in Gregory county.

[May be a Chamberlain article used in Sioux City paper, Published May 19, 1904]
Left by Wm. McDonald, Sumbitted by Royce, Tripp County Historical Society

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Coroner's Inquest

Dr. Kenaston, coroner of Gregory county, has returned from the Sully ranch, where an inquest was held over the body of Jack Sully, the outlaw who was killed by officers yesterday, as told in a Bonesteel dispatch to the Journal.

The jurors, J. A. Reynolds, Oliver Dion and William Kearville, found that Jack Sully met his death while resisting officers by a ball fired from rifle in the hands of officers A. L. Irish, Harry Ham or A. L. Long.

Additional details of the killing of Sully, which have been received here, show that he made a desperate break to escape from the officers.

Ben Diamond, a neighbor of Sully's, by request of the officers, went to the Sully house and informed Jack that his place was surrounded by officers and requested him to give himself up. He refused, saying, "Goodbye to all With fair play I equal three of them."

Thrusting a 44-callibre Colt's receiver into his belt and mounting a horse, he made a dash for life. He was commanded to halt, but did not obey. There were thirty shots fired by the pursuing officers, of which five took effect in the horse. By this time Sully had measured a distance of 450 yards between himself and the officers, when a volley of shots was fired, one of which took effect in Sully's back, causing him to reel and fall from his horse.

When the officers approached him he was commanded to throw up his hands, and he obeyed. Recognizing Deputy United States Marshal Petrie, he shook hands with him and asked for a drink of water, after which he expires.

[Sioux City Journal, left by Wm. McDonald, submitted by Royce, Tripp County Historical Society]

Return to top of page

Crowd Attended Dance

Quite a crowd from Norden attended the dance at Sparks Monday night. Although a very disagreeable night a whole wagon load. Tripp county bachelors were present and girls were at a premium.

[Valentine Democrat (Valentine, Neb.), February 24, 1910]
Submitted by: Royce, Tripp County Historical Society

Return to top of page

Tripp County Men

Among the Tripp county men I who made trips to Valentine the past week and stopped in Sparks, were Jess Casteel , Peter Larson, John Moffett, Messrs. Hull, Cameron and Cash.

[Valentine Democrat (Valentine, Neb.), February 24, 1910]
Submitted by: Royce, Tripp County Historical Society

Return to top of page

Frank Janis

Frank Janis, a Rosebud Sioux Indian of Tripp county, South Dakota, is one of the few of Uncle Sam's "wards" in the ranks of the army of men assigned to guard his property.

Janis has just gone to Washington and joined the capital police force. He is highly educated and owns a flourishing 940-acre ranch on the Rosebud reservation and he drives his own auto.

Janis is in Washington as the protege of Congressman H. L. Gandy of South Dakota.

[The Day, New London, Conn., Published January 22, 1916, submitted by Cathy Danielson]

Return to top of page

James Vyskeial

Robs Homestead Neighbors

Sioux Falls, S. D., Nov. 8. Officers have arrived here with James Vyskeial, a Tripp county homesteader who will serve an indeterminate sentence of two years in the Sioux Falls penitentiary for grand larceny. He had robbed many of his homestead neighbors. The booty ranged all the way from farming implements to the smallest articles and was sufficient in quantity to have started a general store.

[The Carroll Herald, Carroll, Iowa, Published November 16, 1910, submitted by Cathy Danielson]

Return to top of page

Ben Butts

Man Rises From Poverty in Only Eight Years

Winner, S.D.—In this town at the end of the railroad and the gateway to the Rosebud cattle country, a self-styled "outlaw" who made his living at odd jobs eight years ago, has developed a retail business which has made him one of the ten leading individual taxpayers of South Dakota.

Ben Butts is the "outlaw," and he owns and operates the Outlaw Trading post which sells anything from a hairpin to a tractor.

His customers are ranchers and farmers in some of the last Indian reservation territory opened in the United States.

Eight years Butts landed in Winner broke but eager to work. It was winter. All he could find to do was shovel snow. He cleaned banks eight feet deep from store front sidewalks at fifty cents a store front, and when he had money enough he bought a peddler's outfit.

Presently he found that he had made $134, and he invested it in a shack and a stock of merchandise. Today he is reckoned in Winner as having personal and commercial assets of around a million dollars.

Butt's principal store is in Winner at the end of the railroad line. He has five branches to which he trucks supplies. He makes no pretense of building fine stores. His places of business are shacks in the true sense of the word—simple, study structures of sun-blistered boards.

When Butts first started his store he kept it open 24 hours a day. Now that competition has abated he has put his establishments on an 18 hour day.

[Pinckney Dispatch, Wednesday, May 23, 1928]
Submitted by Royce, Tripp County Historical Society


Return to top of page


Return to Homepage

Copyright ©
All data on this website is Copyright with full rights reserved for original submitters.