A group of early homesteaders desiring some form of regular services for their families met in 1910 to discuss those possibilities. The Hugh McEachran family offered the hay loft of their barn for a Sunday School and later in 1911 the church was organized and services were held in a small one-room building on the McEachran farm.
In 1915, when the Presbyterians in Winner discontinued their services, their building was offered to the Westminster people provided it would be moved into the country. The McEachran family offered a plot of ground in the northeast corner of their homestead (some six miles southwest of Hamill) and the building was moved. Ministers were shared with Ideal and for a time with Fairview and Pleasant Valley.
Noted for its musical renditions was the Cornhuskers Quartet, who not only sang for church services, but for funerals and meeting throughout Tripp County, during a period of twenty years. Quartet members were Harry Habsen, Art Wedean, Herbert Henderson and Jonas Broline. Substitutes were Harry Hodge and Ernest Covey. They were asked to sing for the WNAX radio station in Yankton.
Although plans had been made for a new building in 1929, they had to be cancelled when the dust storms and bank closings made the project impossible.
In 1936, the congregation withdrew from the Presbyterian Church, USA, and in so doing, lost the use of their building. Services were held in the Hamill schoolhouse and in the Noah Taylor home until the old bank building was purchased in 1937, remodeled, and used for a Sunday School in the basement, church on the main floor and a manse on the top floor.
In 1954, the congregation purchased a manse and fifteen acres of land, where in 1957, ground breaking ceremonies were held and a new building was dedicated to God on March 26, 1958.
A "Fiftieth Anniversary" was celebrated in March 1961. The work of the Westminster Presbyterian Church has left its mark on the community and continues to influence the life of the people.